QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

I used to be into AFL, but have only a token interest in it now. I follow the Australian cricket team because I live there, and New Zealand, Ireland and Hull City because they're the underdogs (and my aunt and uncle live near the latter).

You hear all that shit about the namechange? I mean it doesn't seem like the FA is gonna allow it but it's still shitty and your owner is a mentalist

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo Bills (NFL)

Buffalo Sabres (NHL)

Mainly because I was born and raised in the Buffalo area. Both teams have some great history though, which helps me to like them despite their lack of championships.

Fun fact: For you iphone users, if you ask Suri what her favorite NHL team is she will tell you the Buffalo Sabres.

Union de santa fe because I fucking hate myself (and also my family is from the area)

Back when union was nowhere near first division I would support boca juniors because it was the right thing to do. They had awesome players, pleasure to watch imo. Now they're shit. And union is once again nowhere near first division but it's the shitty team I enjoy watching more than the other1!

Despite having somewhat recently actually gotten an honest appreciation for team games/sports, from playing, of all things, competitive team fortress 2, I haven't actually watched enough sports to either really understand the dynamics of teamplay in any one game, or to get attached to any team in particular. I have the standard "hope my local teams do well" inclinations, but that's more because it tends to boost my family's moods a bit than anything else, although it's also just nice to see the teams I end up watching most (Nats, Caps, ... our handegg team) play a good game.

[spoiler=possibly a more gloomy divergence regarding corruption in sports than the asker and most answerers would prefer to read right here and now]

Not a supporter of any sports teams or sports at all. The industry (already a pejorative word in my mind) is really dehumanising I find, exploiting lives and well-being of sportsmen for others' amusement and politics (the recent Olympics is a good example of one sick man's megalomania and uncontrolled ambitions). The immediate results require training and substance usage on participants' behalf that they may end up getting crippled before they come to any success. The few who ended up fulfilling their dreams have the resources to patch up their health for the remaining duration of their lives, but the rest are fucked. Glorification of disability (what is what it ends up being in practice when the curtains close) is hardly something I'd like to be part of, however masterful the performance may be.

Used to be a walking encyclopaedia of football when I was 8 or so (quite literally, having memorised several encyclopaedias on the subject), but interest slowly died down from there and now I don't really remember anything.

Every man's fitness is something I support heartily however, but not getting yourself hurt is still a topical problem.

Those sound like valid concerns to me, and even being undereducated on the topics I've heard of both a hell of a lot of corruption in all manner of different sporting bodies, and, regarding the Olympics in particular, that it might be a contender for the title of the most corrupt "NGO" on the planet (not even counting that the one in Moscow Sochi may've been extra-ludicrous besides).

I'd think to note, though, that one can still admire the specialized-to-the-point-of-superhuman abilities, physical, mental and interpersonal, that the games themselves (avoiding using the word "sports" to try to eliminate as much baggage as possible) demand be honed. And I'd assume there are plenty of __sport-lovers out there whose desire for the "industries" surrounding them to be made better places is only strengthened by their love of the games and their players.

Edited by Rehab

Usually I just support my own state's teams~

There isn't a major league team here in baseball though so I'd support the Indians in the minor league. Though I only watch them play whenever we actually go downtown to watch them play in person. (Otherwise in the major leagues, I support the team from the state I was born, Seattle Mariners)

And since I'm among what seems the few here who actually watch american football (well... I do sometimes), I support the Indianapolis Colts.

I don't really watch basketball but when I do go Pacers~

And finally, whenever one of my brothers plays soccer/football, I support his team, and whenever my other brother plays baseball I support his team!

Edited by Freohr Datia

I am a fan of all the Arizona sports teams. My football team the Cardinals did pretty well this year. I hope the Diamondbacks do better next MLB year though.

The Coyotes(Hockey) and Suns(Basketball.) Seem to be doing pretty well ^^

Boston Celtics in the NBA. I like a lot of the Boston teams since I lived there when I was little but they're the ones I follow the most.

I am an avid supporter of my local club Avai FC and i follow a few other clubs (Arsenal, PSG and Fiorentina to name a few).

(the recent Olympics is a good example of one sick man's megalomania and uncontrolled ambitions).

[snip] regarding the Olympics in particular, that it might be a contender for the title of the most corrupt "NGO" on the planet [/snip]

Oh right, thanks for reminding me. Go Team USA.

feeling like I shoulda spoilered that because it was getting both kinda off-topic and gloomy/could be construed as poo-pooing the subject matter, srry

Maple Leafs.

I can't believe I said that, but oh well, it's my home team.

So yeah Toronto sports teams I support....

Other then that Vancouver Whitecaps.

Portugal(Football) and Canada(Hockey) on a national level.

Maple Leafs.

I can't believe I said that, but oh well, it's my home team.

So yeah Toronto sports teams I support....

Other then that Vancouver Whitecaps.

Portugal(Football) and Canada(Hockey) on a national level.

Why Portugal? Blood reasons?

The Fighting Irish I guess. I didn't graduate from ND but I tend to root for them because my friend does (terrible reason admittedly).

EDIT-B-baka, I didn't f-fail to graduate from ND, I just graduated from a different school.

Edited by SeverIan

Hockey : San Jose Sharks for pro, Canada for world

American football : idk Green Bay Packers or Baltimore Ravens

Baseball : Ever since I saw Moneyball, go Oakland Athletics

Basketball : I guess I have some memories of Michael Jordan so Chicago Bulls

Soccer : don't care enough for pro, Germany for world

Bobsleigh : Jamaica 'mon

I've followed individual sports a bit more in the past few years, such as boxing and I guess non-world cup tennis.

Why Portugal? Blood reasons?

Yeah, I hope one of these years they manage to secure a cup. They rely on Ronaldo too much.

Also, hopefully Spain won't win again this year.

spain are literally what people who hate football think football is like

they're still gonna twat australia but what can you do