DodgeDusk

For those who don't know, Spectrobes is a game that revolves around reviving a dead species called Spectrobes and fighting against an alien threat that wishes to, quite literally, eat the universe. Our hero, Rallen, must combat these "Krawl" and-

Yeah, screw explaining this game. It's been too long since I last played this, dammit

Spectrobes is actually one of the few DS games I've emulated that I have actually owned at one point, and I remember really enjoying it as a child. I even remember having little cards that fitted onto the touch screen that had circles cut out that, when plotted onto the screen, would give you a monster or a new skin or something. Quite fun, really. I remembered the game on a whim earlier and felt like playing it again... so why not playlog it?

Index:

[spoiler=Iku ze!]

14inz84.jpg

Welcome to Spectrobes!

2s9odps.jpg

Reminds me of Star Wars

m7x8ja.jpg

This is our hero, Rallen

23pvk8.jpg

And this is our assistant, so to speak. Her name's Jeena

I swear she does not look like that, though. Must've screened this at an awkward frame or something

2ngbj91.jpg

Nice ship, yo

1589mbk.jpg

Uh-huh. I doubt that, to be honest

2hgrb0w.jpg

Dat head

2zspvtx.jpg

MONKEY BUSINESS

Damn hoar

108gx3p.jpg

You're a hoar too

Probably

I do like you more than Rallen, though

fm2gew.jpg

Sweet. I like rain!

a2qdxy.jpg

Or the H button, in my case

Getting used to this configuration is gonna take some time -_-

140lpwx.jpg

Jeena's face scares me

s2qvpc.jpg97rvpc.jpg

But save states exist

2vlv76f.jpg

THE WORLD IS AMAZING

js0euq.jpg

10 years later...

r1ddfd.jpg

How convenient

24zceo1.jpg

How do we know the name of this thing already?

Rallen's expression speaks for me

2i24c9g.jpg

Meh, don't really ca-

1zqauq0.jpg

DAT HAIR

IT LOOKS SO PUFFY I COULD REST MY HEAD ON IT

2jc94sh.jpg

Of course he's alive; look at that hair!

10ni1pi.jpg

This name sickens me

zlr90l.jpg

MAYBE IF THE CAMERA MOVED I COULD TELL YOU

v5ib2b.jpg

Tornadoes do tend to move, so...

9amvdi.jpg

Badly timed

BUT THAT SPRITE

200tpvq.jpg

This is why I had to reconfigure my controls

2u5dkrd.jpg

I SEE SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE A DURAMBOROS ON 'ROIDS AND A SKINNY ZINOGRE

xm8qcy.jpg

Zingore, attack!

vxkuo4.jpg

You doods don't stand a chance!

1zz4014.jpg

FALCON PUNCH TOO WEAK

Guess I should explain how the battling system works

You control Rallen and your two Spectrobes follow you side-to-side. Top screen shows health and boosts, whilst the bottom shows the battle arena. L commands the left Spectrobe to attack, and R governs the right. Rallen can also attack, but most of the fighting should be kept to the Spectrobes as Rallen himself is pretty weak (he's basically useless right now). He can have weapon upgrades later on that makes him fairly competent, but he's mostly a liability. Y button shifts the battle commands to do special moves, which can be charged by holding the B button. There are four bars (not the white/blue one as shown in the picture) that can be charged, and a bar gets used whenever you do a special attack with a Spectrobe. If all four bars are charged, both Spectrobes can combine their attacks to do a super-duper attack that does a bucket load of damage to all enemies (I think. It's been a while)

a2gh3p.jpg

Each Spectrobe has three bars (HP, attack, and defence) that, when filled, level up the Spectrobe. So level 'em up!

25qrjer.jpg

*takes out of context*

Is this the monkey business Grant was on about?

awzwjb.jpg

Yeah, you suck

ouno8h.jpg

Yeah, they're better than you

jpcubk.jpg

Well duh, he has man hair!

k9ccjq.jpg

HOW CONVENIENT

mc4qrn.jpg

Dat tape

2aiiv6r.jpg

DEM NAMES

j67hhd.jpg

DAT GET REKTED

zu08x0.jpg

GG

Return of Ganon

27wytg5.jpg

plot

v4chsh.jpg

Obligatory title drop

2ih6srr.jpg

"And no, that stupid "God" revered by the denizens of Twitch isn't a part of this"

msy982.jpg2w2ohfa.jpg

HOW

CONVENIENT

33c64w0.jpg

And we just so happen to be in it?

Seems legit

27y99gk.jpg

"Devour"

As in, eat? Consume?

dayum

biro8l.jpg

Rallen is this thing called the "main protagonist"

Try it sometime

ip8vur.jpg

Yes, somehow

2r4ts0x.jpg

no shit

2r6o8dt.jpg

"By being baptised in fire or some shit like that"

25p2tqg.jpg

*takes out of context yet again*

... Monkey business

yz876.jpg

lolStylus

9t09hs.jpg

b-but

yf87r.jpg

BITCH, I WAS JUST DOWN THERE

2eyhvd3.jpg

Better be an Old Amber or something

fmkuih.jpg

It sounds like a rip-off of Metapod

2yots13.jpg

Speak...?

um

307xlaq.jpg

YES, I GOTTA SPEAK...

2lvo6a.jpg

Or I can configure my microphone settings

jgrvop.jpg

FIRST NAME POSTED BECOMES THIS DUDE'S NAME

Because I'm kind like that [:

... I think I dug up too much (about to go to Genshi)

Custom parts? So, like, a unique spoiler for my vehicle, or something? (rescued Prof. Wright)

Birth of the Holy Knight (up to the ruins in Nessa)

Edited by DodgeDusk

First of all, name him... I dunno "Doobalu".

Second, HEY LOOK SOMONE ELSE KNOWS WHAT SPECTROBES IS!

I actually just started replaying the sequel a couple days ago.

Doobalu it shall be!

Yeah, I did get the sequel, but I never finished it. Don't even remember where I got up to, truth be told. I did complete this as a child, though

I don't remember that much about this game except for a beetle which I remember being awesome

How does the Emulation work with the Mic? I could never awaken the fossils, having lost my actual copy.

You can configure the settings in 'microphone settings' to hotkey any sound compatible with the emulator

That, or plug-in a mic and speak into it. I'd do that, but I don't have one. Built-in mic kinda sucks too :/

Doobalu it shall be!

Yeah, I did get the sequel, but I never finished it. Don't even remember where I got up to, truth be told. I did complete this as a child, though

I don't remember that much about this game except for a beetle which I remember being awesome

Very well!

Beyond the Portals basically improved everything. Origins improved things even further(though there were quite a bit little things that just bothered me) but I never actually finished it. I remember having a very difficult time with the final boss of the first one, but that was a long time ago so I don't know if it was just me being terrible. I tried replaying this one a while ago(didn't get to the end) and found most battles to be insultingly easy though.

Very well!

Beyond the Portals basically improved everything. Origins improved things even further(though there were quite a bit little things that just bothered me) but I never actually finished it. I remember having a very difficult time with the final boss of the first one, but that was a long time ago so I don't know if it was just me being terrible. I tried replaying this one a while ago(didn't get to the end) and found most battles to be insultingly easy though.

Can't comment on Origins. Wouldn't mind playing it, but my brother currently has my Wii and my laptop can't even emulate PSP games, so I doubt it can emulate Wii games. And really? Oh my. Hope I find SOME difficultly in this playlog

Can't comment on Origins. Wouldn't mind playing it, but my brother currently has my Wii and my laptop can't even emulate PSP games, so I doubt it can emulate Wii games. And really? Oh my. Hope I find SOME difficultly in this playlog

Origins is pretty great, I played co-op with a friend of mine a while back and it was a blast.

I found that it was really easy to run around completely ignoring the enemies and just spam combo attacks. :/

Origins is pretty great, I played co-op with a friend of mine a while back and it was a blast.

I found that it was really easy to run around completely ignoring the enemies and just spam combo attacks. :/

Does sound good, that

Ah... I suppose that is pretty broken. Was Beyond the Portals so different? Only thing that springs to mind is that you can play as the Spectrobes themselves, but I don't remember any of the mechanics

Ah... I suppose that is pretty broken. Was Beyond the Portals so different? Only thing that springs to mind is that you can play as the Spectrobes themselves, but I don't remember any of the mechanics

Well for one you actually had to charge the meter yourself by attacking enemies.

Playing as Rallen was completely pointless though, which may or may not be better than this game where he's weak as sh*t depending on how you look at it(definitely one of things I'm most thankful for Origins fixing).

Well for one you actually had to charge the meter yourself by attacking enemies.

Playing as Rallen was completely pointless though, which may or may not be better than this game where he's weak as sh*t depending on how you look at it(definitely one of things I'm most thankful for Origins fixing).

Interesting. I should really give it go sometime (perhaps a continuation to this [if I finish this playlog])

Yeah, if there's one thing I remember about Rallen in this game, it's that he was completely useless. I do enjoy using the Spectrobes though, so it's not the end of the world

Edited by DodgeDusk

is the wii version any good?

Wish I could answer, but I cannot

[spoiler=... I think I dug up too much]

2ymu89i.jpg

'Doobalu' didn't fit, so 'Doobal' it is!

4gopj8.jpg

meh

Not really

oier14.jpg

Just realised the only two people who can communicate with Spectrobes are both ginger

The two must be related!

2820pk7.jpg

Yeah

Chuck 'im at them or something

14j2a8h.jpg

Touching a child Spectrobe?

um... if you say so?

95oq6a.jpgosz9tz.jpg

I swear Rallen is, like, the only person here that's closest to being "normal"

Whatever that is

dfhbps.jpg

"3D squares, you idiot"

hv3ujk.jpg

THE RANGE IS PITIFUL

Also SUNSHINE AND GREEN

apg0n8.jpg

Mm-hmm, some explaining to do, methinks

Blue sparkles = minerals. These are similar to vitamins from the Pokémon games. Give 'em to your Spectrobes and the three different bars will fill up, depending on what minerals you feed 'em and what grade they are. C is weakest, whilst... A is strongest? There might be a letter after A, but I can't remember

Orange/bronze sparkles = fossils. These are where Spectrobe fossils are found. Every map might share a couple of fossils with each other, but I think every map has at least one unique fossil. Fossils can also have different rarities

Rainbow sparkles = cubes. These hold information about the Spectrobes that Aldous/Mr. X can investigate. Quick little explanation about some of the mechanics in the game

121twjp.jpg

The digging aspect of the game. Tap the bottom screen and break the levels of ground until you find your mineral/fossil/cube. There is a timer, damage indicator, and a percentage indicator that tells you how much of the item you have unearthed. 95% is the minimum

nbvomv.jpg

You start off with three different tools: drill L, drill S, and a cleaning tool. Drill L digs the most effectively, but is prone to damaging the item the most. Use this for unearthing most of the item. Drill S digs up the least, but has a lower rate to damage the item. I tend to use it more for when I want to dig precisely. Both of these will leave chunks of rock that'll litter the screen and make it harder for you to dig, so use the cleaning tool to get rid of them (although I just use the mic hotkey, since it's more convenient)

e898xt.jpg

I thought I took a photo of the experience and digging levels, but I didn't, so...

Once you've unearthed 95% of your item, you can pick it up. The game will then look at your overall time taken, the amount of damage you've (unintentionally) dealt to the item, and the amount of the item you've dug up. The game will then grant you experience points based on these factors; the highest you can achieve being 30. You start off at level 1, which basically means you damage everything you touch with any drill. I didn't because, due to my laptop being awful, the game runs at roughly 60-70% during digging, so it thinks I don't drill for too long, when I actually do

2s0mqyp.jpg

This is a fossil (previous item was a mineral). The same thing applies here

ejv88g.jpg

Something I DID forget to mention, however, is you can scan the item to see where exactly you've got to dig. I think you can also scan 'n' dig at the same time, but my laptop won't let me. I also think the item is more prone to damage if you do this

vr9eab.jpg

100% excavation

Minergy shows how much percentage the three bars will be filled upon resurrection. A nice little bonus, really. More damage = less minergy

I'll explain custom parts when we get to see our first custom part. It's impossible to get any right now

dzccww.jpg

Best fossil/10

2u44lzt.jpg

b-but...

258wllk.jpg

... I WANNA DIG

w9yxox.jpg

Yes, boss...

Jeez, your worse than Jeena and Grant

71qwlz.jpg

EGG ON WHEELS

34nlc2v.jpg

Did you expect anything better?

dqitki.jpg

THE BIRTH OF A LEGEND

2h2pdat.jpg

"Scolipede" came to mind when I saw this, so nyeh

sbj05y.jpg

Now THAT'S a Duramboros!

nve2vq.jpg

And this is where you feed your Spectrobes. Two Spectrobes can go in each box

I'll explain the "corona", "aurora", and "flash" parts when it gets explained to us in-game

If it doesn't, I'll show it in a battle or something

2i7vn7s.jpg

I forgot why I took this

ma9ekz.jpg

FEED MINERALS TO SCOLI

2iibtkw.jpg

And that's how baby Spectrobes level up

Older ones can do this too, but due to having longer gauges, you have to feed more to them

24yd0ex.jpg

This is a combo attack David and I were talking about in the above comments. Hits all enemies for set damage, I believe

zmxvn.jpg

A shark/knife hybrid?

OH YEAH

2lbotbs.jpg

This be a cube

Scanning also identifies what item it specifically is. This is moreso helpful for cubes, since there are different cubes but they all look the same

p1ueq.jpg

A rank B mineral, which is easily identifiable by being a different colour!

15f3913.jpg

Another cube! First one was a Beta, this is an Alpha

2vsrng6.jpg

THIS CLEARLY ISN'T IMPORTANT, NOPE!

25s4u29.jpg

Level... 2?

Oh my, I think I might've done a bit too much digging for this point in the game...

2wna2iv.jpg

Yeah, 17 fossils? A tad too much, methinks

3fz10.jpg

Short for "Stiletto", since I couldn't think of anything else

24v7kzs.jpg

Not sure if you can see it, but there are blue things above Scoli. This indicates it can evolve!

2qt8s4m.jpg

So I levelled it up a bit and touched it, which prompts the evolution sequence!

5d0ymu.jpg

THE LEGEND IS HALFWAY THERE!

Also, dat bulk

9r7os0.jpg

So I'm using a Stiletto 2.0 as my follower, which means I can level up Doobal!

15h0ls3.jpg

"No. I dug up quite a few cubes"

33f6jj7.jpg

CAN YOU BAPTISE THEM IN FIRE?!?!?!

2u62ulx.jpg

Attach a rope to their waist and make 'em pull a truck?

dgqsra.jpg

BUT I WANNA DIG UP SHIT

ztyhdf.jpg

Oh she did not...

adkqbd.jpg

YOU IDIOT

DAMN... MONKEY BUSINESS!

nbvm7n.jpg

Bitch, that's what I've been doing

Deck her in face, Rallen. You've got your fist ready

qqermv.jpg

Kollin? Sounds swell

2ry4yno.jpg

no

shut up

I don't care how adorable that portrait is, you're a dunce

xaqs1.jpg

Is that... barbed wire?

Why is a planet surrounded by barbed wire?

2599zeh.jpg

"A couple of men slapping their gentleman sausages at each other"

25jczlf.jpg

Do these vortexes emerge from Rosalina's gown? *is shot*

2difrt2.jpg

Genshi? Sounds Japanese

35a7vhj.jpg

And then Rallen became semi-competent

1z5mdu0.jpg

I'm Megaman!

hs8cnt.jpg

I'm Marth!

167ktbn.jpg

And this is the end of this instalment

Well, at this point, it'll be judging purely by aesthetics because I don't remember how the two play out

So I guess the dragon, Grildragos

I am a fan of his pre-evolution though, Grilden

Has it been four days since the last update? Damn, I'm lazy

[spoiler=Custom parts? So, like, a unique spoiler for my vehicle or something?]

6hncle.jpg

Sounds like some MissingNo bollocks right here

30ii3k6.jpg

Those poor planets never asked to be touched!

2e65zls.jpg

IT'S BEAUTIFUL

wo6ly.jpg

THIS ISN'T

k14b4k.jpg

*custom part

Fixed that for you

34e6dt0.jpg

You look crap

Confirm, David?

slsm81.jpg

Are you a bitch? Because you sound like a bitch

1zbqe7o.jpg

WHY SO ANGRY?

21chu7t.jpg

AW SHIT SON

AW

SHIT

9tn1ch.jpg

I... also don't remember this one

Judging from the name of the fossil though, I suspect you are something among of the lines of a samurai

112ammc.jpg

It's a dead Doobal!

20ihrwi.jpg

BRIDGES

METAL ONES AT THAT!

2rwrwgp.jpg

You should be ashamed

(Note: Swatraps are actually pretty damn strong; their attack can potentially deal over 100 damage)

10saog9.jpg

MANY DIGGING UP ITEMS LATER

15ceotj.jpg

"I have an actual palette unlike some other people, so probably"

11aiqhd.jpg

*takes out of context*

Tee hee~

rw8due.jpg

"And by 'me' I mean my two buddies 'ere"

*severe ass-whooping later*

2zzjcc2.jpg

Probably because you're not a main protagonist and you're used merely as a device to explain to the player about how custom parts work

35nc583.jpg

Oh, and this too

28tgzsp.jpg

I ACTUALLY REMEMBER YOU

YOU'RE PRETTY DAMN AWESOME

2rvxu0k.jpg

JET PACK

ouutyg.jpg

Tampering with the genetics of an animal for stylistic purposes?

Sounds neat!

29vm5ms.jpg

This is... actually not as significant as it sounds

For now, at least. Could be amazing late game, can't remember!

29205n6.jpg

'Cause that's bloody useful

mt8iux.jpg

SHASPEAR

This is a custom part! As of the beginning of this world, you can excavate custom parts alongside fossils if damage is kept to an absolute minimum

t0nlg7.jpg

Couldn't think of anything :c

148dxyc.jpg

Due to having 0% minergy and AMAZING range, you shall be used as my item finder

ouqghy.jpg

I AM THE EGGMAN!

2gwb96h.jpg

Oh, you amazing thing, you

2vtw9jo.jpg

CUSTOM PART: ACTIVATE!

rl9s1v.jpg

THE RANGE

IT'S BEAUTIFUL

2rd9p2s.jpg

Sorry for the small update, but due to recent events, I don't really have no motivation to do anything right now