What are the chances of getting a Berwick translation patch?

Anitar

More specifically, what are the current obstacles toward translating what seems to be the most interesting game on this site? Lack of interest? Difficulty with hacking PS2 games? Or is it something else entirely?

probably lack of interest. were someone to give it a shot it should certainly be doable; the PS2 hacking environment certainly isn't as populated as things like the SNES, but there are certainly a fair few translation hacks for PS2 games out there

i'd argue that in terms of interest everything's sadly working against it. no matter how strong its links to the FE series are, its lack of the Fire Emblem name proper means people around here are inevitably going to care less about it, especially given it's on a console which is probably still a bit finicky/resource-intensive to emulate. outside the FE community, as one of a few fucking thousand Japan-exclusive titles for the console, it's a message in a bottle in a sea comprised entirely of messages in bottles, and is likely too obscure to get any attention in its own right (there isn't even a Wikipedia article about it!)

There was a topic about a menu translation(maybe more?) or something a while back that had stuff done (not sure if there was an actual patch release)

lemme go find it...

EDIT: Here http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=42325

But looks kinda dead atm and I don't think it was released (re skimming topic now). At least someone's done something heh.

But yeah, biggest obstacle is lack of interest, as is the situation with many things.

Edited by L95

probably lack of interest. were someone to give it a shot it should certainly be doable; the PS2 hacking environment certainly isn't as populated as things like the SNES, but there are certainly a fair few translation hacks for PS2 games out there

In that case, would it be halfway reasonable for me to learn how to alter PS2 scripts specifically to handle this? And if so, how?

In that case, would it be halfway reasonable for me to learn how to alter PS2 scripts specifically to handle this? And if so, how?

The topic creator left an email in the last post of the topic I linked, try contacting them if you're interested with what they have?

(and remind them people are interested in this even a little lol)

Edited by L95

i have basically no idea where you'd begin learning about this stuff, but there's certainly no reason to not give it a try! if you're sufficiently interested and dedicated to figuring it out, good on you

Well, I've come to the conclusion that learning to patch is way too much to learn all at once for just one game. So, given my motivation and skill with managing, and lack of skill with hacking and translating, I have a different idea.

Where would be a good place to drum up interest and hopefully gather people who also want this game translated?

And would it be illegal to share my image file of the game to anyone who wants to help, to make it easier for them to actually do so?

• 2 weeks later...