Your ideas for a good strategical Fire Emblem game

This topic might be a sort of similar to the topic "How to improve Awakening". But this topic only relates to strategical elements (tactical options etc.) and NOT technical elements like graphics and sound etc.

What are your ideas of strategical elements for the next Fire Emblem game? Maybe you have an entirely new idea of a feature, which does not exist in the FE series yet.

Here are my suggestions for the next FE game:

1. Weapon triangle like in FE9 + 10

If you got the weapon advantage, you cause +1 damage and the enemy causes -1 damage. The opposite happens, if your unit has a disadvantage. It is fairer to my mind.

2. Better A. I.

Enemies should get vulnaries and use it. Enemies with long range weapons (archers, mages) have to attack units, who cannot attack back. In FE11-13 the enemies always attack the unit with the worst defense/resistance - regardless - if your unit can attack back.

3. Sleep, silence, restore, bezerk staff should return

4. Different types of missions
Defense, escape etc.

I really miss the defense missions in FE11-13. In the escape missons the units, who did not escape, got captured (= death) like in FE5.

5. Light magic and bishop class should return

6. Stat boosts

Stats boosts, which are removable and raise a few stats of your unit (f. e. rings in FE4 or spheres in FE12)

7. Challenging final boss, which you cannot kill in 1-2 turns

Your ideas, corrections and improvement suggestions are welcome :):

Edited by MisterIceTeaPeach

Varied map and chapter design

Multiple objectives

Interesting skills that make units more differentiated

Random enemy skills (no luck-based ones, appropriate pool for each difficulty level)

If staves return they should have more to them than just taking up your healer's turn. They should be buyable, reliable, and have a shorter timespan. Restore should be uncommon enough that you can't just spam it. Light magic should also be radically different from other types of magic; perhaps low might, high hit/crit, and have dark magic be the reverse? The magic triangle is mostly a non-factor so scrap it.

I'd like to see stronger enemies (by this I mean faster really), and more options for support aside from one Dancer's Rings in fe7. FE10 Galdr chants kind of touched on this, and Rallies are a little too OP. Luk+8 being the only Rally that wasn't +4 was still imbalanced (I'd rather see say, speed+2, Def+2, Skill+4, Luk+8, Spectrum +3 all around, and Str/Res +3, or rather, Rallies that work in other ways like boosting Two stats by 2. Adding Miracle to a unit for a turn, or other skills like Pavise.

Besides from what's already been said, a final boss with multiple stages (similar to Ashnard but with more than just 2) so it's more of a challenge to defeat them.

1. FE13 weapon ranks bonuses but with FE7/8 weapon triangle. I like the way this works: it balances out weapons while still retaining their weaknesses, provided you take advantage of the weapon triangle. That said I do not like the idea of weapon triangle starting at an ineffectual +/-5 hit.

2. Personal and class skill system. Personal skills are generally less powerful and given to units as a reflection of their personality or through some sort of development. Class skills are more powerful and cannot exist on classes they aren't assigned to. They'd be tailored to the class's strengths, such as a "+5 Magic while using staves" skill for Bishops or the various activation skills.

3. Activation skills are activated manually. Instead of having chance-based activations, they are activated by a command or set to activate on the first enemy phase attack. They would have a skill gauge that fills up over time and by battling; the rate is affected by the Skill stat. If the unit double attacks the skill only activates on the first hit, but the second hit will recharge the gauge. Enemies' passive charge rates would depend on the difficulty: none on Normal/Easy, half on Hard, and full on Lunatic.

And as far as final bosses go, I'd like to see one who can be beaten easily in a straight fight like Veld... except they're invincible from the get-go, and will chase you down while you work to disable their protection.

This topic might be a sort of similar to the topic "How to improve Awakening". But this topic only relates to strategical elements (tactical options etc.) and NOT technical elements like graphics and sound etc.

What are your ideas of strategical elements for the next Fire Emblem game? Maybe you have an entirely new idea of a feature, which does not exist in the FE series yet.

Here are my suggestions for the next FE game:

1. Weapon triangle like in FE9 + 10

If you got the weapon advantage, you cause +1 damage and the enemy causes -1 damage. The opposite happens, if your unit has a disadvantage. It is fairer to my mind.

2. Better A. I.

Enemies should get vulnerabies and use it. Enemies with long range weapons (archers, mages) have to attack units, who cannot attack back. In FE11-13 the enemies always attack the unit with the worst defense/resistance - regardless - if your unit can attack back.

3. Sleep, silence, restore, bezerk staff should return

4. Different types of missions

Defense, escape etc.

I really miss the defense missions in FE11-13. In the escape missons the units, who did not escape, got captured (= death) like in FE5.

6. Stat boosts

Stats boosts, which are removable and raise a few stats of your unit (f. exampe. rings in FE4 or spheres in FE12)

7. Challenging final boss, which you cannot kill in 1-2 turns

Your ideas, corrections and improvement suggestions are welcome :):

1. Like I said in the previous thread. The DS triangle is superior in every way to Tellius. So you'd be going back to making the triangle bad and irrelevant. FE needs to keep progressing, not going back.

2. It's literally the best AI we've had ever in FE. They took FE12's AI, which is:

Kill>a good chance to crit the unit>hit for the most damage

and improved it by adding stuff like moving out of the way for enemy archers to kill a unit. Both FE12 and FE13's AI trade vulneraries and use them. Being mostly predictable works in this AI's favor too. As it means you know what to expect and can strategize against them.

3. You're gonna have to specify why they should return. In my eyes, they were just a nuisance, a bad mechanic and should never return.

6. That would be great, yes.

Varied map and chapter design

Multiple objectives

Interesting skills that make units more differentiated

Random enemy skills (no luck-based ones, appropriate pool for each difficulty level)

If staves return they should have more to them than just taking up your healer's turn. They should be buyable, reliable, and have a shorter timespan. Restore should be uncommon enough that you can't just spam it. Light magic should also be radically different from other types of magic; perhaps low might, high hit/crit, and have dark magic be the reverse? The magic triangle is mostly a non-factor so scrap it.

I don't think this would quite work out. It would make the game even more RNG based and reset-heavy to LTC and I'd immediately hate it. /LTC

A + mode for each difficulty would be fine, so long as its optional. I think most people would prefer no random skills. There's already enough random factors in modern FE to drive one nuts when they happen.

I'd like to see stronger enemies (by this I mean faster really), and more options for support aside from one Dancer's Rings in fe7. FE10 Galdr chants kind of touched on this, and Rallies are a little too OP. Luk+8 being the only Rally that wasn't +4 was still imbalanced (I'd rather see say, speed+2, Def+2, Skill+4, Luk+8, Spectrum +3 all around, and Str/Res +3, or rather, Rallies that work in other ways like boosting Two stats by 2. Adding Miracle to a unit for a turn, or other skills like Pavise.

Enemies are already strong enough in Lunatic. Make them even tougher and you're asking to make every single character unviaable.

Now for my ideas: For the love of everything, dont make Nosferatu or Rescue buyable in the next Fire Emblem.

2. Give HM and LM bonuses to more of the cast. That way, the harder difficulties dont make some units a complete liability.

3. Lower defensive growths back to DS standards. 60 for a Cavalier, 50 for a Tactician is just too much and is the culprit behind being able to snowball units so easily.

4. Make Snipers worth it again like in FE11/12. It was sad to see them take a step back in terms of making them useful.

1. FE13 weapon ranks bonuses but with FE7/8 weapon triangle. I like the way this works: it balances out weapons while still retaining their weaknesses, provided you take advantage of the weapon triangle. That said I do not like the idea of weapon triangle starting at an ineffectual +/-5 hit.

2. Personal and class skill system. Personal skills are generally less powerful and given to units as a reflection of their personality or through some sort of development. Class skills are more powerful and cannot exist on classes they aren't assigned to. They'd be tailored to the class's strengths, such as a "+5 Magic while using staves" skill for Bishops or the various activation skills.

3. Activation skills are activated manually. Instead of having chance-based activations, they are activated by a command or set to activate on the first enemy phase attack. They would have a skill gauge that fills up over time and by battling; the rate is affected by the Skill stat. If the unit double attacks the skill only activates on the first hit, but the second hit will recharge the gauge. Enemies' passive charge rates would depend on the difficulty: none on Normal/Easy, half on Hard, and full on Lunatic.

And as far as final bosses go, I'd like to see one who can be beaten easily in a straight fight like Veld... except they're invincible from the get-go, and will chase you down while you work to disable their protection.

Bolded is false. The DS triangle does more than 7/8. It cancels enemy weapon rank bonuses if you have the right weapon. So, a Sword unit could gain 15 avo and 1 Atk right off the bat in FE13 for example.

Edited by PKL

Pkl in Lunatic13, you can still steamroll with a strong pair up, after like chapter 5. Chromatar solos are not unheard of.

Pkl in Lunatic13, you can still steamroll with a strong pair up, after like chapter 5. Chromatar solos are not unheard of.

No shit, I've done it before :P. But its not the enemies that are the problem. Its Avatar.

1. More weapon types. There's more to it than just swords, lances, axes and bows. Maces would be fun, daggers should return as well, and I wouldn't mind early gun prototypes.

2. Rehauled magic system. Allow magic users to have their own weapons (maces for priests and bishops, daggers for mages of all kinds), while their spells can have a much larger effect. AoE, turns to spend charging or controlling a spell, I think those should be a staple. Most staff effects could be thrown in there too.

3. Equippable armor and shields. Rather than always put the Armorknights all the time in full plating, they could select a lighter armor type and move further and attack faster, obviously at the cost of Defense. This could be done with plenty of other classes, since as we seen in FE9/10, Warriors, Snipers, Soldiers, Brigands and Cavaliers all had body armor. Even Swordmasters and mages could have their own set of clothing with various bonuses.

4. Mounts. Not unlike Berwick Saga, I believe mounts should be a privilege that could be bought rather than granted to a select few and let them trivialize the game. I think some sort of Ride skill should also be made and could be developped by multiple, if not all characters, to allow them to ride a horse or even a flyer later.

5. A greater emphasis on defense maps. Seize only games such as FE6 and FE12 get monotonous after a while and put way too much emphasis on movement.

6. Dismounting. Horses indoors I can somewhat get, but that seems to be bad manners and oddly I don't remember that many indoor maps post-FE5 that had enemy mounts indoors. Flying mounts make even less sense.

7. Reworked fatigue. FE5 had a pretty good idea, but I think fatigue should reset, or at least reduce, when two maps apart take a certain amount of time. 12 to 12x was right away, but I'm pretty sure there's a few out there where they at least get a night of sleep between them.

8. A unique type of gaiden to access to ressources, information and loot, starring your Thieves and perhaps a few goons to help them.

9. Furthermore, villages could offer different conversations depending on the unit you use to visit them. A Cavalier could be acclaimed as a hero, a Thief could dig up secrets, a Brigand could be driven away and a Dark Mage could be insulted as a heretic.

I could probably come up with more but I know these won't happen.

Edited by Woodshooter

Here's some ideas I have.

1. Reintroduce status staves in a different way:I think they should introduce a set of more common lower ranked status staves. Rather than entirely incapacitating a unit there should be ones that allow the unit to act but not allow them to move(or reduce movement), or do things such as reduce accuracy("Blind Staff") or strength("Weakness Staff") significantly to give staff users some indirect combat utility. Berserk should be extremely rare(or just gone), Sleep would be a pretty high end one and Silence maybe towards the middle.

2. Give Archers/Snipers innate Re-move/Canto: Normally it's mounted units that get this ability, but Archers and Snipers are the class that's effectiveness is mostly determined by their positioning, they should really be the best unit in terms of ranged attacking but lack of movement and having higher movement classes with 1-2 range weapons or even bows and re-move just makes the class really undesirable.

3. Defense stat is fixed based on class and character: If each class had a set defense stat(though it would change upon promotion) with variations(like base stats) based on the character(So two cavaliers may have different defense stats) enemies attack would not need to increase as much to keep up with the characters increasing durability, this should mean both low manning is a lot more difficult and squishier units don't risk getting killed in one hit as much. The rest of the stats(including resistance) should be fine as they are.

4. Healing during battle is a set amount: Tomes like Nosferatu and skills like Aether and Sol would not heal all or half the damage they deal, they would heal 5 health per hit(or 1 or 2 with Astra) allowing the user to be a bit more durable without the ability to end up with more HP at the end of a round of combat than they started. The fixed defense would also help here as later chapters could be sure to have enemies deal more than 10 points of damage per round of combat.

I say mix the mechanics from fe5, 10 and use the DS weapon triangle, because let's be honest the Tellius weapon triangles didn't exist, Fe10 even removes its already shoddy bonuses in its HM.

Also supports should be like fe9/13 and I'd like to see Gaidens RPG towns again

Edited by Jedisupersorry

2. Personal and class skill system. Personal skills are generally less powerful and given to units as a reflection of their personality or through some sort of development. .

2. Which skills are you thinking? Skills like shade, provoke or inbue? It would be good, if they are removable.

3. Intersting idea with the command. It exists in many RPGs. I would like to add a bar . If the bar is full, the skill be activated.

2. It's literally the best AI we've had ever in FE. They took FE12's AI, which is:

Kill>a good chance to crit the unit>hit for the most damage

I give an example, what I meant in my comment

In FE12/13

I could put a (dark) mage with nosferatu (so can attack back) and a swordmaster, who cannot attack back in range of archers. The archers would attack the mage, although it can attack back and heal itself.

Yes, the enemies would do more damage and get a better hit and maybe critrate, but they would not always kill my unit.

It is a method, which I really could use in FE12 at least in maniac (never played higher difficulty yet). I can put Linde in range of dragons, they all attack her and Linde could do easily "Nosferatu-tanking".

To my opinion the A.I. in FE9/10 is the best, because the enemies with long range weapons always attack your units, who cannot attack back except if they can kill your unit with a long range weapon.

1. More weapon types. There's more to it than just swords, lances, axes and bows. Maces would be fun, daggers should return as well, and I wouldn't mind early gun prototypes.

2. Rehauled magic system. Allow magic users to have their own weapons (maces for priests and bishops, daggers for mages of all kinds), while their spells can have a much larger effect. AoE, turns to spend charging or controlling a spell, I think those should be a staple. Most staff effects could be thrown in there too.

5. A greater emphasis on defense maps. Seize only games such as FE6 and FE12 get monotonous after a while and put way too much emphasis on movement.

6. Dismounting. Horses indoors I can somewhat get, but that seems to be bad manners and oddly I don't remember that many indoor maps post-FE5 that had enemy mounts indoors. Flying mounts make even less sense.

7. Reworked fatigue. FE5 had a pretty good idea, but I think fatigue should reset, or at least reduce, when two maps apart take a certain amount of time. 12 to 12x was right away, but I'm pretty sure there's a few out there where they at least get a night of sleep between them.

1 +2 Yes, daggers have to return. Mazes would me fun and they are useable for healers in many RPGs, but I doubt, that will implemented in FE.

5. Yes, we really need more of them like in FE5 or FE10 2-F.

6. A very good point. Espacially useful to avoid bonus damage.

7. Seriously I do not know it in FE5, but it sounds good.

Here's some ideas I have.

1. Reintroduce status staves in a different way:I think they should introduce a set of more common lower ranked status staves. Rather than entirely incapacitating a unit there should be ones that allow the unit to act but not allow them to move(or reduce movement), or do things such as reduce accuracy("Blind Staff") or strength("Weakness Staff") significantly to give staff users some indirect combat utility. Berserk should be extremely rare(or just gone), Sleep would be a pretty high end one and Silence maybe towards the middle.

2. Give Archers/Snipers innate Re-move/Canto: Normally it's mounted units that get this ability, but Archers and Snipers are the class that's effectiveness is mostly determined by their positioning, they should really be the best unit in terms of ranged attacking but lack of movement and having higher movement classes with 1-2 range weapons or even bows and re-move just makes the class really undesirable.

1. The "blind" staff and "weakness" staff sound good. The blind stuff reduces the hit rate (like in Bravely Default) and the weakness stuff reduces your attack power.

2. I do not know. This would be a little bit cheap for me, if archers get canto. At least you got rangers, who can use use bows. And they should use longbows. But I totally agree with bringing back "canto" for mounted units!

Edited by MisterIceTeaPeach

I guess I give it a shot

1. Changing the way EXP is gained

Definitely the biggest point. The way it is now, you need to kill in order to gain EXP. This sucked for clerics in the first game since that was the only way to gain exp and they couldn't attack.

Now this particular problem was fixed by making them able to gain EXP through casting with staffs. But they are not the only class who isn't actually designed to kill enemies.

I am particularly talking about Armored Knights and to an extend Archers. Knights are defensive units. They are supposed to tank hits. Making them finish off weakened foes so they can keep up with the rest of the team goes completely against their concept. It's similar with Archers. Their strength is that they don't take counters, so they should be used to weaken enemies and then have somebody else finish them off. Not the other way around just because the Archer won't get any EXP that way.

So my proposal would be to change it so that EXP is gained similar like in Pokemon: The EXP is shared between anyone who had a hand in defeating an enemy. And while we are on it, I guess Archers should need less EXP to progress in level to make up for their lack of enemy phase.

2. Armored Knights getting decent Speed.

It's absurd that those guys have less durability then the likes of Myrmidones. Sure, that's mostly when dealing with supercharged Hard mode foes. But that's part of the fundamental problem. When dealing with powerful foes, they should be the ones you send forward because their purpose is to take hits. Quite frankly, Radiant Dawn got that one right. The nerved mages just resulted in a lack of countermeasures. But the Knights themselves were fine. Not sure how we ended up back with crappy GBA Knights.

3. The return of ledges

Radiant Dawn was a game where mounts didn't dominate the battlefield like in most other games despite the presence of Canto. These thing were a big reason for that, giving foot units a few more options that their mounted comrades lacked. They are a pretty useful tool for maps in general. Btw, speaking of Canto.

4. The return of Canto

The ability to attack while retreating back into formation is something that makes mounted units more then just foot units who get to their target faster. I am not saying that necessarily everyone on a horse should have it. There are lots of options on how to handle it. For example in TRS it was a skill possessed by individual units and not tied to class as long as you were on a mount. But it definitely should be present in some fashion.

5. The return of movement penalties of indoor chapters

Or alternatively the return of dismount. It's a nice change of flow and gives foot combat specialists a slight edge.

6. Getting rid of Pair Up

The execution of this mechanic is most certainly lacking in a lot of ways but that is not the reason that I want to get rid of it. Such flaws can be fixed. But this mechanic is fundamental stupid. It's not two units fighting together. It's one unit fighting while the other unit acts as a glorified piece of equipment. Consequently...

7. Brining back rescuing

I think that doesn't need much explanation. As long as we assume that Pair Up is gone, it's always a neat mechanic.

8. Raising the Level Cap (and no resetting to level 1)

Isn't it nice that Awakening allows infinite leveling. Except if we have infinite levels, why do we still need that cap? Getting rid of that and the level reversal would have made the Awakening post game a lot less tedious. Sully as a reclassed level 1 Paladin is identical to how she was as a level 20 Paladin but suddenly I loose the ability to reclass her? Bullcrap.

And if units simply keep their level, there is no danger to hit the cap before obtaining a Master Seal. That would be especially useful for Lord. since their stories will sometimes benefit from having a relevant promotion. I hate hitting their level cap mid campaign as much as everyone else but this really isn't a situation where you can't have your cake and eat it too. And it's not even a new thing. FE4 already allowed units to keep their level.

9. Addition of a different skill system

All those % based skills are awful. They have no strategic value since they can't be relied on. And we even got rid of some skills who could be properly used, like Charge and Canto.

So I'd say that it's time to introduce a Mana point system (except they are not called mana since everyone gets to use it but the logic is the same) so that units can trigger their skills at will until they run out points.

10. Simplifying Weapon Levels

Weapons are not different enough to justify grinding another type of weapon in a linear campaign just for a slightly little more utility. Maybe it would work if there were several weapon types available from the beginning but only after promotion? "Yeah, sure I am stop using my Silver Sword in exchange for a Bronze Axe until the day where I can use a Silver Axe for +2 attack or whatever. Totally worth it to cripple myself for the next ten chapters."

So I'd either simplify it so that there is one weapon level for all martial weapons and one for all magic. That doesn't mean that everyone could use lances, axes and swords. Just that once the ability to use that new type of weapon becomes available, you'd immediately have a decent selection of new weapons that make it a worthy option.

Otherwise just bring back the old weapon level system with growth rates. It lacked execution but it is fundamentally a good system, allowing units to differentiate themselves through their weapon selection rather then pure stats. Or maybe even the FE4 system with set weapon levels. That one would add more variety to classes. Speaking of systems that were fundamentally good but always received horrible executions...

11. Critical hits double attack power (hey, the triple damage system is even more antiquated)

The beautiful thing about the double attack power system in Jugdral and Tear Ring Saga was that it made Critical hits vertisile. All normal criticals do is to speed up. The double attack power system makes it so that criticals do things that normal attacks couldn't do before. Namely, they can act as an option to overcome high defenses.

12. The return of weapon weight (But not Con)

Properly thought out weight values would add a nice new dimensions on how to use individual weapons. Having a stat that counteracts the penalties defeats the point for the most part.

13. Getting rid of the Weapon Triangle

That we even have such a system says a lot about how similar all the weapons are.

14. The return of Fatigue (sort of)

I rather imagine a mechanic that gives a unit penalties if it gets involved in too many fights in a single chapter. That would make it harder for a single powerful entity has a harder time to maintain it's performance through a whole chapter and make actual teamwork more tempting. Not necessarily that the unit needs to take a break like in Thracia.

Edited by BrightBow

11. Critical hits double attack power (hey, the triple damage system is even more antiquated)

The beautiful thing about the double attack power system in Jugdral and Tear Ring Saga was that it made Critical hits vertisile. All normal criticals do is to speed up. The double attack power system makes it so that criticals do things that normal attacks couldn't do before. Namely, they can act as an option to overcome high defenses.

I'm not so sure about this one, the thing about double attack power is that classes with high skill stats like Swordmasters could suddenly become extremely effective against Generals.

The thing about the 3x damage system is that Armour Knights can stand up to physical enemies with high critical rates(Killer Weapons) even if they're fast and do get a critical hit off. Double power would make using Armours against high skill units like Archers, Mercenaries or Myrmidons pretty risky if there's a chance for taking 2 critical hits in a row.

Edited by arvilino

I'm not so sure about this one, the thing about double attack power is that classes with high skill stats like Swordmasters could suddenly become extremely effective against Generals.

The thing about the 3x damage system is that Armour Knights can stand up to physical enemies with high critical rates(Killer Weapons) even if they're fast and do get a critical hit off. Double power would make using Armours against high skill units like Archers, Mercenaries or Myrmidons pretty risky if there's a chance for taking 2 critical hits in a row.

But if the enemy gets off two critical hits, it would usually be always fatal regardless of the system that is used.

Armor Knights should have more Defense and maybe HP then any other class, so if my 2 (decent speed) would be executed as well, they would still be less vulnerable to those criticals then anyone else.

You seem to forget Judgral crits ignored defense entirely.

Honestly also going to archers, we have had them done well in a few occasions.

Those being Fe2, 6, 10 and 12. Granted they tend to do well in non ltc runs regardless of game but seeming as we always go off of LTC.. give them full nomad like movement make them the terrain masters who can get into a perfect spot.

Also dismount needs to come back full force especially on flyers, because flying a Pegasus or Wyvern in a castle would totally not fly.

I'd also like no rescue nor pair up in the next game, rescue is pretty pointless unless you are doing LTC in my opinion. Pair Up was fun but a tad too OP and if they did it again. They better let the enemies use it too.

Jugdral criticals didn't ignore Defense in the equation unless you also activated Moonlight.

Archery is a tricky matter. Obviously if the game has tougher enemies and/or a bigger amount of enemy flyers (such as FE3, 6 or 12), then bows will be more valuable. Meanwhile, games with easier enemies, an emphasis on enemy phase and/or better 1-2 range weapons tend to have archery much less useful, namely FE7-9. Ideally, bows could be used as a secondary weapon slot while having a primary slot dedicated to a melee weapon. This could be done as well with other ranged weapons. Perhaps this could change the whole inventory processing, with a 5 slot dedicated inventory such as :

-main melee

-main ranged

-secondary weapon just in case one breaks

-item

-equippable accessory

Pair Up's weird, but Rescue has its merits if you want to correct a mistake you made or an instance of bad luck.

Edited by Woodshooter

But if the enemy gets off two critical hits, it would usually be always fatal regardless of the system that is used.

Armor Knights should have more Defense and maybe HP then any other class, so if my 2 (decent speed) would be executed as well, they would still be less vulnerable to those criticals then anyone else.

It would make fast units with high critical like Killer Edge wielding Myrmidons/Swordmasters able to significantly damage any kind of unit(unless that unit has a massive amount of defense that approaches double that Myrmidons attack), very little would be safe against them, more defensive units would face two attacks(and potential criticals) and the faster units will be taking a bit of damage even if the Myrmidon doesn't critical.

In a triple damage case if their attack is below or just a couple points higher than the defense(or if the weapon triangle is the DS and 3DS version where swords lose 4 points of damage against Lances), units like Armour Knights(provided they're good ones like Oswin or Gatrie) can take less damage from criticals than others may take from non-critical hits from those enemies.

One, that's funny because you're woodshooter.

Two, I actually had an idea like that once. Because of how early guns worked, it would probably be unable to counter but deal boatloads of damage. Accuracy might not be the highest though if rifling wouldn't have been invented yet.

Agreed, dark should also be a separate weapon type so mages would actually have a point, unlike in awakening. Light I imagined as low might but crazy hit and crit, making bishops like magical swordmasters.

Also, I'm surprised this hasn't come up, but I miss new S-rank weapons. I was always interested in which piece of equipment gave what bonus.

Agreed, dark should also be a separate weapon type so mages would actually have a point, unlike in awakening. Light I imagined as low might but crazy hit and crit, making bishops like magical swordmasters.

A better idea would be to make it weak, but 3x effective against enemies wielding magic (possibly only 2x for all but Bishop), except clergy-based classes. And bring back the Jugdral magic "triangle" so that it isn't weak against the most common magic type. It would give a better incentive to use Light magic and drive home Bishops' secondary role as anti-mage units.

Well, I've come up with a bunch of ideas for how my fan story (Dawn of Darkness) would function as a game, although since it's a direct sequel to RD, reclassing isn't available. But what ideas I do have include some old ones and some new ones.

- Pair-up would be implemented, but this time, enemies will use it as well on Hard, Lunatic, and Insane modes. Less often in Hard mode. Easy and Normal, they will not use it.

- Weapon triangle and weapon weight will exist.

- Light magic returns, as do the trinities of magic.

- A new feature called the assault tower would be implemented. Explanation here.

- Another new featured, sparring, would be added since there aren't skirmishes in this one. After each chapter, characters who have gained a few support points can spar with each other and gain more experience, both for weapon level and regular levels. As characters' support levels increase, they gain the ability to spar more often, to the point where the player can have them spar as many times as they want between chapters. The number of exp points gained per battle decreases over time, though.

- Unique chapter objectives would be back.

- Dismounting is available. Mounted units can still fight indoors, but they dismount to enter assault towers or climb ledges.

- Speaking of which, ledges return, as does the ability to attack from atop them.

- Ranged attackers also get a bit more range when attacking from atop a hill.

- Laguz get promotions, though in their case, I call it metavolution. It's a combination of the words metamorph and evolution. A laguz's human form does not change much, but their laguz forms get significant differences, like larger bodies, bigger, sharper claws and fangs, etc.

- A new class called Wagon appears. They start off only being able to attack by charging into enemies and can't attack from a distance. They also serve the same purpose as Merlinus from FE7/FE6 and can hold many items as well as give items to other units. But when they reach their promotion, War Wagon, they gain use of bows and can really do some damage. They're tanky and strong, but slow and weak to fire magic. They are very good at taking hits from either physical or magic attacks though.

- Daggers are back, but are stronger and less useless.

- Crossbows are gone. They suck and are useless.

- The Cavalier knights don't gain a second weapon until their third tier promotion. Same with Generals, though Marshalls will still be able to wield the entire weapon triangle. Falcon Knights get swords again, as do Clerics and Valkyries.

- Warriors/Reavers no longer get bows. I never understood the point of this. They can already do ranged attacks with hand axes and short axes.

And that's all I can think of for now. I'm sure I had more stuff on my wiki's list, but I don't feel like pulling it up right now. :P

I do quite like some of those ideas you bring to the table.

Although I disagree with the crossbows being useless notion, I found a fair bit of use with them. I mean it gives the Snipers a 1-2 shot as well as helping Nolan on some of the part 3 Maps because the Dawn Brigade gets some access to some nice ones, Nolan can hit laguz especially Hawks well with em

Well, I've come up with a bunch of ideas for how my fan story (Dawn of Darkness) would function as a game, although since it's a direct sequel to RD, reclassing isn't available. But what ideas I do have include some old ones and some new ones.

- Pair-up would be implemented, but this time, enemies will use it as well on Hard, Lunatic, and Insane modes. Less often in Hard mode. Easy and Normal, they will not use it.

- Weapon triangle and weapon weight will exist.

- Light magic returns, as do the trinities of magic.

- A new feature called the assault tower would be implemented. Explanation here.

- Another new featured, sparring, would be added since there aren't skirmishes in this one. After each chapter, characters who have gained a few support points can spar with each other and gain more experience, both for weapon level and regular levels. As characters' support levels increase, they gain the ability to spar more often, to the point where the player can have them spar as many times as they want between chapters. The number of exp points gained per battle decreases over time, though.

- Unique chapter objectives would be back.

- Dismounting is available. Mounted units can still fight indoors, but they dismount to enter assault towers or climb ledges.

- Speaking of which, ledges return, as does the ability to attack from atop them.

- Ranged attackers also get a bit more range when attacking from atop a hill.

- Laguz get promotions, though in their case, I call it metavolution. It's a combination of the words metamorph and evolution. A laguz's human form does not change much, but their laguz forms get significant differences, like larger bodies, bigger, sharper claws and fangs, etc.

- A new class called Wagon appears. They start off only being able to attack by charging into enemies and can't attack from a distance. They also serve the same purpose as Merlinus from FE7/FE6 and can hold many items as well as give items to other units. But when they reach their promotion, War Wagon, they gain use of bows and can really do some damage. They're tanky and strong, but slow and weak to fire magic. They are very good at taking hits from either physical or magic attacks though.

- Daggers are back, but are stronger and less useless.

- Crossbows are gone. They suck and are useless.

- The Cavalier knights don't gain a second weapon until their third tier promotion. Same with Generals, though Marshalls will still be able to wield the entire weapon triangle. Falcon Knights get swords again, as do Clerics and Valkyries.

- Warriors/Reavers no longer get bows. I never understood the point of this. They can already do ranged attacks with hand axes and short axes.

And that's all I can think of for now. I'm sure I had more stuff on my wiki's list, but I don't feel like pulling it up right now. :P

The idea of dismounting units like in FE5 is great to avoid bonus damage.

I like it to bring back the "Merlinus" class as a weapon dealer. It is unrealistic, that in some FE games the lords can access to the convoy everytime.

Crossbows were not useless, because it is the only way for snipers to attack in close range. It would be better, if crossbows do not have constant attackingpower, but work like other weapons (strength of unit + strength of weapon).

To my mind there is nothing wrong, that warriors can use a second weapon bows.

Except for the two points, your ideas are very good!

I do quite like some of those ideas you bring to the table.

Although I disagree with the crossbows being useless notion, I found a fair bit of use with them. I mean it gives the Snipers a 1-2 shot as well as helping Nolan on some of the part 3 Maps because the Dawn Brigade gets some access to some nice ones, Nolan can hit laguz especially Hawks well with em

Yes, crossbows are the only way for snipers to attack in close range. However it should work like the other weapons (strength of unit + strength of weapon). This would reduce the bonus damage against fliers, which was way to high in FE10, because no one except for Tibarn and Naesala could survive a hit of a crossbow.

Berserkers weren't in RD though lol (because of Largo no longer being playable), nor are they in my fic. I forgot to mention that too. :P

And thanks for the feedback, guys. My main issue with Crossbows is that while they DO give Snipers a 1 range attack, they're so weak that the damage is often too little to really make any difference. If crossbows are stronger, then I guess I have no complaint if they're brought back.

I just remembered a couple things about skills. Canto is back, and all mounted units get it, including Wagons. But the Shove skill is out. It was just fine being a menu option like in PoR. But Smite will stay, since it's slightly different in that it lets a unit shove another unit two spaces rather than only one.