Why can't Chrom pair with Miriel and Tharja

weso12

I have a theory for why Sumia has little supports. Sumia has no self-esteem. She has zero confidence in herself all the time and wished she was someone else(this is talked about in her and Robin's support). Because of this, she approaches very few people(unless they're close friends like Cordelia).

Annnnd that makes sense.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, some people sure do like to overreact. :/

I can see how someone could relate to Sumia's klutziness, but her stupidity? Come on, nobody in real life is THAT stupid. I see no problem with what I said. If I was like just like her, I wouldn't think many men would want me either.

Edited by Anacybele

I can see how someone could relate to Sumia's klutziness, but her stupidity? Come on, nobody in real life is THAT stupid. I see no problem with what I said.

... There are people who make those kind of mistakes... and often, might I add...

Wow, that's an absolutely cruel thing for you to say. Does that mean you think anyone who either identifies with Sumia (because they see herself in them) or is also klutzy and sometimes doesn't seem like she thinks things through are undesirable to men and who would want to marry them?

You are unbelievable.

To be fair, Sumia isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. If you read her supports you'll know that.

I think Ana's hate of Sumia is inappropriate, too, but Sumia is, like, the most stereotypically girly character in the game, and IMO an anachronic example of how a girl should be.

Geez, some people sure do like to overreact. :/

I can see how someone could relate to Sumia's klutziness, but her stupidity? Come on, nobody in real life is THAT stupid. I see no problem with what I said.

I love how when you get upset at something someone else says, you're perfectly justified and within your right to get upset because people are mean. But when people get mad at something you say - no, it's all overreacting and you're perfectly justified because you're so perfectly perfect.

Also, it is very obvious you do not know people, Anacybele. I imagine myself as being academically intelligent for the most part, but everyone I know says that sometimes I'm just so fucking oblivious and devoid of common sense that I may as well be stupid and not have a brain. This is absolutely true. Sumia is probably exaggerated because she's a fictional character, but the general idea is still there. People can be "stupid" in the way Sumia is at times.

One final thing. You ABSOLUTELY hurt the feelings of SOMEONE who posted in this thread with your comment. That person happens to be my friend. I DO NOT stand for people being insensitive and hurting my friends.

@Malebolganone: I completed the support library, so I know what Sumia's supports are like. I don't care if she's not the sharpest tool in the thread. I don't even care if Anacybele hates her. But Anacybele's comment about how "no man would want to marry someone as stupid and klutzy as her" was very out of line. That is a very cruel sentiment to have, and it EASILY can shift over into a real life perspective.

Edited by Sangyul

I can see how someone could relate to Sumia's klutziness, but her stupidity? Come on, nobody in real life is THAT stupid. I see no problem with what I said. If I was like just like her, I wouldn't think many men would want me either.

Says the Queen of overeactions herself.

Not everyone is smart 24/7 we all have our stupidity and as Boron said, Sumia is exagerated due to being a fictional character but still. You insulted one of my friends with your statement. I demand an apology.

... There are people who make those kind of mistakes... and often, might I add...

There are people who mistake a punch for a slap and hand someone a BEEHIVE without safety gear on? I really have a hard time believing that.

I think Ana's hate of Sumia is inappropriate, too, but Sumia is, like, the most stereotypically girly character in the game, and IMO an anachronic example of how a girl should be.

Now you're going against me too? Wow. Just wow. Now I'm officially getting ticked off. Not at you entirely, but because people who I thought were my FRIENDS are once again proving that they really don't give a damn. And YOU of all people even said you were in love with me. But both you and Sangyul, I thought were cool people that I could call my friends. I guess not. I'm sick of this happening to me. And I thought I could prevent it from happening again. I thought I had learned my lesson way back in high school after how many times other students took advantage of my trust. But again, I guess not. Maybe the only answer is to remain alone...

Also, while I DO dislike Sumia, I never mentioned this, so I don't know why you did.

EDIT: Your friends are feeling hurt over nothing then. I was "insulting" a fictional character, not real people.

Edited by Anacybele

To be fair, Sumia isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. If you read her supports you'll know that.

Sumia is not stupid. She is very self deprecating and clumsy but that does not mean shes stupid. She tries very hard to do her best and when she messes up, she beats the hell out of herself for it. Yes, this is something that happens in Real Life. I have a friend who does this. Every little stumble she makes in her life, she berates herself over. But that friend is actually really smart especially when she applies herself to the utmost. Sumia's whole beehive thing in Gaius' support(s) is just a Looney Tunes style montage and her reaction is "i cant do anything right." If someone was stupid, do you really think they would say they couldnt do anything right?

REPORTING IN FOR CIRCLEJERK

Stop that.

There are people who mistake a punch for a slap and hand someone a BEEHIVE without safety gear on? I really have a hard time believing that.

Snip

Hypocrisy is hilarious...

Wait no it isnt.

Ana, if I honestly didn't give a damn about you I wouldn't be calling you out. And yes, I know it seems like a weird thing to say, but look -- sometimes you say things that offend people and upset them terribly. You can't just stick your fingers in your ear and act like people are overreacting when they're getting upset at something you said. I say stuff that offends and hurts people, but when that happens I ALWAYS apologize. ALWAYS. Because being "right" doesn't mean anything if I hurt someone.

SF is an Internet forum, we're all anonymous people, right? The thing is, the way you interact with people online is an extension of how you interact with people in the real world. I've seen enough to go through college, grad school, and to live on my own for a few years. Ana, I KNOW that your behavior is going to cause you trouble in real life. THIS is why I call you out. Not because I want to be an asshole, but because I AM WORRIED ABOUT YOU. You're not 16, you're 22 and I foresee a lot of trouble in your future with the way I see you acting on the forum.

And Malebolganone isn't going against you, he just has a different opinion, that's not betraying your trust. Friends don't back up each other's backs when they feel their friend is not in the right. My friends call me out on my shit when I'm wrong all the time, and I am all the thankful to them for it.

I understand you feel that people call you out because they're bullies, and I won't deny that there are some people who do enjoy getting a rise out of you. BUT I DO CARE ABOUT YOU. I want to help you get along with people better and to be a better person, and if I have to call you out when you say things that have the potential to hurt people then I will do that because I expect my friends to do that for me.

Sumia might be a fictional character, but you also made a generalization that men don't want klutzy and stupid women (which is the statement that hurt said friend's feelings). Some people believe that they are klutzy and not the brightest bulb, and even if it's not as exaggerated as Sumia's characteristics are, it can still hurt them and that's what we hope you'll realize. I'm frankly more inclined to go with the theory that she doesn't have support options because she's shy, not because men don't want that kind of person.

Sumia is not stupid. She is very self deprecating and clumsy but that does not mean shes stupid. She tries very hard to do her best and when she messes up, she beats the hell out of herself for it. Yes, this is something that happens in Real Life. I have a friend who does this. Every little stumble she makes in her life, she berates herself over. But that friend is actually really smart especially when she applies herself to the utmost. Sumia's whole beehive thing in Gaius' support(s) is just a Looney Tunes style montage and her reaction is "i cant do anything right." If someone was stupid, do you really think they would say they couldnt do anything right?

I never meant that I thought Sumia was stupid because of her klutziness and low self-esteem. I think she's stupid because she lacks intelligence. Education, common sense. And she knows it too, which is one of the few things I DO commend her for. I also commend her talent with animals.

But since she's very exaggerated in her flaws, she's hardly relatable. Some people can relate to her klutziness, that's about it. And some people aren't that bright, myself included to an extent. But it would be stupid for a man to turn a woman down just because they're a little clumsy or not extremely bright. He might insist that he hold the baby more often, but still.

@Malebolganone: I completed the support library, so I know what Sumia's supports are like. I don't care if she's not the sharpest tool in the thread. I don't even care if Anacybele hates her. But Anacybele's comment about how "no man would want to marry someone as stupid and klutzy as her" was very out of line. That is a very cruel sentiment to have, and it EASILY can shift over into a real life perspective.

Yeah but sometimes I have the feeling that Sumia would mostly appeal to men who want a submissive wife (no offense to your friend). Which is why I think she's not the best example of girl in the game.

I know I've got a glass roof since Cordelia isn't a symbol of feminism either (mostly because of her crush), though she seems more independent than Sumia to me. I used to like girly girls (and I still sorta do) but I acknowledge that's a very sexist concept nowadays. I was going to make the MC of my book a girly girl but I gave up on that because it's an outdated concept unfortunately.

But I understand where you're coming from. If you like a character and someone else says you're undesirable because you identify with that character, it feels very inappropriate. I identify a lot with Stahl, and female fans like him a lot, but in real life? Not sure how many would want a lazy and naive man alongside them. :P

@Ana: I don't have to support you in everything you say... I'm going against you in this for your own good. ^^ Sometimes you let your passions get the better of you. You may not like Sumia but you don't need to say it in a way that other people may not find appropriate.

Edited by Malebolganone

People have the right to express their opinions on fictional characters and whether or not the traits of these characters make them desirable marriage partners or not. It's unfortunate that people take offense to this, but insulting a character you relate to is not a personal attack.

Yeah but sometimes I have the feeling that Sumia would mostly appeal to men who want a submissive wife (no offense to your friend). Which is why I think she's not the best example of girl in the game.

I know I've got a glass roof since Cordelia isn't a symbol of feminism either (mostly because of her crush), though she seems more independent than Sumia to me. I used to like girly girls (and I still sorta do) but I acknowledge that's a very sexist concept nowadays. I was going to make the MC of my book a girly girl but I gave up on that because it's an outdated concept unfortunately.

But I understand where you're coming from. If you like a character and someone else says you're undesirable because you identify with that character, it feels very inappropriate. I identify a lot with Stahl, and female fans like him a lot, but in real life? Not sure how many would want a lazy and naive man alongside them. :P

Twopence: I don't think the archetype of the girly girl is sexist in and of itself. Just... very very tied in with the idea of a woman as property, after a fashion. Handle carefully--dangerous radiation!

*sidewinders out*

People have the right to express their opinions on fictional characters and whether or not the traits of these characters make them desirable marriage partners or not. It's unfortunate that people take offense to this, but insulting a character you relate to is not a personal attack.

This. For the love of god, this.

Insulting a character or a ship is not a personal attack.

However it is pretty off topic.

Edited by Airship Canon

No, but at the same time, Ana was making it sound like she was saying "Oh, nobody can be that klutzy/dumb irl", which clearly did happen to offend someone who that may apply to.

As such, I feel that Boron's points are quite justified, despite the fact that Ana technically has the right to say whatever she wants. There is a limit to what you can consciously say, though, and not expect to get in shit for it. Ana crossed that line in some people's eyes, and as such, there's every right to be upset with the way that this has played out.

Also, why would you want to pair Miriel & Tharja with Chrom? It's not as if you can't get a Sage Lucina, and Sorceror's kind of meh anyway if that's what you're wanting out of the whole thing.

No, but at the same time, Ana was making it sound like she was saying "Oh, nobody can be that klutzy/dumb irl", which clearly did happen to offend someone who that may apply to.

As such, I feel that Boron's points are quite justified, despite the fact that Ana technically has the right to say whatever she wants. There is a limit to what you can consciously say, though, and not expect to get in shit for it. Ana crossed that line in some people's eyes, and as such, there's every right to be upset with the way that this has played out.

Also, why would you want to pair Miriel & Tharja with Chrom? It's not as if you can't get a Sage Lucina, and Sorceror's kind of meh anyway if that's what you're wanting out of the whole thing.

If you want Sorc!Cina bemoan the inability to pair Chrom and Cordelia.

@Ana: I don't have to support you in everything you say... I'm going against you in this for your own good. ^^ Sometimes you let your passions get the better of you. You may not like Sumia but you don't need to say it in a way that other people may not find appropriate.

I didn't mean you had to agree with me, I just didn't like that you were calling me inappropriate.

And once again, I never said that real people who are a bit like Sumia aren't desirable. They're not nearly as exaggerated as her. xP

EDIT: Thank you, Cynthia and Airship Canon. Also, Cynthia, I never thought I'd see you take my side. No offense. :P

Edited by Anacybele

I didn't mean you had to agree with me, I just didn't like that you were calling me inappropriate.

And once again, I never said that real people who are a bit like Sumia aren't desirable. They're not nearly as exaggerated as her. xP

Ok. :)

Heck, I'm happy ChromxCordelia isn't possible. This means it isn't canon, so Cordelia can be all mine and I don't feel guilty about not pairing her with Chrom. :P

Edited by Malebolganone

I like to say that Sumia has limited options because few men would marry a klutzy woman that can barely do anything right and sometimes doesn't even seem to have a brain (mistaking a punch for a slap and handing Gaius a beehive? Just...what). :P

This is probably one of the most repugnant statements I've read in a while lmao. It doesn't even matter it's about a fictional character, the fact that you even think it's possible that women aren't worthy of love because of your own arbitrary set of standards in it of itself is fucking terrible. It's not even that you just dislike her, you, without prompting, brought into the discussion the question of how "desirable" Sumia is to men because her characters flaws. And you reacting so defensively against criticism for your statement is even worse because it means you still don't realize these implications you made with your statement.

The real reason that Sumia has limited supports is because the developers wanted her to; whether it's because they wanted to encourage players to pair her with Chrom or whatever, the reasons have nothing to do with Sumia herself, so disparaging her for something she doesn't have control over is stupid.

The implication that Sumia is a less worthy female character because she's OMG GIRLY is also pretty awful. There are arguments that can be made about problems with her depiction when viewed in the context of the developers' intent for Sumia's character, but being feminine itself isn't an issue. There is nothing sexist about being girly if you want to be girly. The idea that women must act more like men to be considered "good examples of women", you can see how hypocritical and sexist that is, right?

I know I'm digging this up but I don't even care.