Mario Kart 8

kingddd

Serenes Forest Tournament. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TOURNAMENT GROUP REQUIRES CODE TO ACCESS IT AND IT IS NOT PUBLIC!! SO NO RANDOM PLAYERS WILL BE ABLE TO JOIN AND NO CPUS CURRENTLY!!

Here is the settings, the miiverse community and the code required:

Do note that you can join the community tournament anytime and it doesn't have to be on the weekends so if you guys want to do private races with other community members you can use this as your main hub.

Serenes Forest

For Fire Emblem Fans!!
4985-3463-2360

Miiverse Community:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073268532636/14866558073308677207

Tournament Schedule
Weekends from Saturday to Sunday

Beginning 0:00 Saturday to 23:30 Sunday (PST Pacifice Standard Time)

150cc Races

All 48 Courses (BOTH DLC is required)
No Teams
All Vehicles
No Item Controller Limits
No Computer AI
Global Region
All Items
Don't Shuffle
Any Rating

No Race Limits
Code Required

Please inform me if you guys want to do some changes and modify any tournament settings.

------Edit Old Post-----

The game is coming out soon.
May 30th release date and Nintendo has just released a significant amount of information of Mario Kart 8 and a brand new trailer. What do you guys think?

The following are confirmed retro tracks:

SNES Donut Plains 3
N64 Toad's Turnpike
N64 Royal Raceway
N64 Rainbow Road
GBA Mario Circuit
GCN Dry Dry Desert
DS Cheep Cheep Beach
DS Tick Tock Clock
Wii Moo Moo Meadows
Wii Grumble Volcano
3DS Music Park
3DS Piranha Plant Pipeway
3DS Donkey Kong Jungle

New Items

Piranha Plant

Boomerang

Edited by kingddd

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, Tick-Tock Clock and Grumble Volcano are retro courses? Sweet, amazing, absolutly fantastic. Also, N64 Rainbow Road looks not boring.

Imma make a comment on the roster: I don't care since Yoshi and Daisy are in.

I was actually up late enough last night to see the trailer for myself on GoNintendo. =D

I must say, I'm really psyched. They've really revamped the retro tracks quite a lot to the point that they feel like brand new tracks. I couldn't even recognize Moo Moo Farm until I saw a side by side comparison video on GoNintendo (and that was probably the least changed new retro track that they showed in the trailer). And despite Donut Plains 3 and N64's Rainbow Road being some of my most unfavourite Mario Kart tracks ever (the former due to bad childhood memories of the SNES Special Cup with it and the latter being way too long and boring), the underwater sections and the speed boosting rings (respectively) of those two tracks actually have me looking forward to them.

Lakitu came back as a playable character, that's enough reason for me to buy a Wii U and MK8 after I get back from China in the Summer. I'm glad they're sticking with retro Rainbow Road courses, although they will probably have to do something with the N64 version, as in my opinion it's just a bit too long, winded, with no real obstacles. At least the SNES Rainbow Road was short but exciting.

Music Park was a given, but the other two were okay choices, I guess, no beef on DK Jungle. I really liked Neo Bowser City, but oh well, can't have everything, right?

Anyway, just a concise overview, LAKITU, AAAAAAA (no Diddy Kong? :[ )! And cool choices on retro courses. I can't wait to see more new courses!

O62oHkD.png

(focus on the bottom right two)

Watch GameXplain's preview at the 5:30 - 5:45 mark and look at the signs. You'll see that they confirm N64 Yoshi Valley and GCN Sherbet Land as returning tracks.

Edited by Harmonie

Huh, interesting. Yoshi Valley will get boring online with everyone taking the same path. Unless they change it up.

Back to the Future promised us flying cars by the next year, and only Mario Kart is seriously following up to it.

This is the only game I really want a WiiU for.

What? Smash Bros. is coming out on 3DS too!

Edited by Ike-Mike

Wow, it looks really fun! I can't wait till it comes out, my brother and I are getting it on launch day.

But if they don't have Dry Bones for the second time, I'm going to be slightly angry. Oh well. The gameplay should make up for it.

Dry Bones + Bubble Bike was my favorite MKWii 'combo' to use.

Edited by LuxSpes

I must say, I'm really psyched. They've really revamped the retro tracks quite a lot to the point that they feel like brand new tracks.

F-Zero GX doesn't need to rely on nostalgia or recycled content to be fun!

I'm waaaaaaaay too hyped for this game.

You should be. After all, it's running on cutting edge, anti-gravity technology that was invented only 16 years ago by F-Zero X!

Back to the Future promised us flying cars by the next year, and only Mario Kart is seriously following up to it.

F-Zero GX has flying cars - that very often go faster than 1225.044 kmh, the speed of sound!

Wow, it looks really fun! I can't wait till it comes out, my brother and I are getting it on launch day.

F-Zero GX launched 10 years ago. You don't need to wait at all! Also, blind obedience to any series will make you overlook vastly superior games. Trust me on that one, I used to like Mario Kart too.

You should be. After all, it's running on cutting edge, anti-gravity technology that was invented only 16 years ago by F-Zero X!

F-Zero GX has flying cars - that very often go faster than 1225.044 kmh, the speed of sound!

F-Zero GX launched 10 years ago. You don't need to wait at all! Also, blind obedience to any series will make you overlook vastly superior games. Trust me on that one, I used to like Mario Kart too.

I own F-Zero GX and I still prefer Mario Kart. I'm not looking for some hyper-technical racing game I just want dumb fun and blue shell-induced rage XD.

Though F-Zero was still really fun to play and it would be nice of Nintendo to make another game

Edited by LuxSpes

Uh huh.

At any rate, as much as a new console F-Zero would make me buy the damn thing, Mario Kart 8 does look promising.

Mario Kart also feels much more like a party game where anyone can get in. F-Zero's an intense, arcade experience that doesn't sell too well with other people because a veteran will always crush the beginner. Been there, done that.

Edited by Woodshooter

I own F-Zero GX and I still prefer Mario Kart. I'm not looking for some hyper-technical racing game I just want dumb fun and blue shell-induced rage XD.

Hyper technical? Other than using L and R to turn tighter and Y to boost, it really isn't much more complicated than Mario Kart. Also, why would you want cheap items and rage in your game?

At any rate, as much as a new console F-Zero would make me buy the damn thing, Mario Kart 8 does look promising.

Mario Kart also feels much more like a party game where anyone can get in. F-Zero's an intense, arcade experience that doesn't sell too well with other people because a veteran will always crush the beginner. Been there, done that.

Looks promising? It looks like a mashup of MK Wii and its clone, MK 7, with some 16-year-old anti-gravity from F-Zero X thrown in. Talk about keeping it fresh. And they're not even using it right. So far I haven't seen a single loop, twist, corkscrew, tunnel, or cylinder. The people that think this will be a suitable replacement for F-Zero are out of their minds. And Mario Kart is way slower than F-Zero GX.

I for one love the fact that veterans crush beginners in F-Zero GX. When I win, I know that it was skill, that I earned my victory. And when I lose, I know that it was simply because I wasn't good enough, not because someone happened to get an absurdly powerful item. After years of being at the mercy of the blue shell and lightning, it is exhilarating to have a game with absolutely no cheapness in it. None! At all! On the other hand, with enough skill I can attack my opponents by smashing them off the course, where their vehicles explode, permanently removing them from the race. Now THAT is awesome.

Hyper technical? Other than using L and R to turn tighter and Y to boost, it really isn't much more complicated than Mario Kart. Also, why would you want cheap items and rage in your game?

Looks promising? It looks like a mashup of MK Wii and its clone, MK 7, with some 16-year-old anti-gravity from F-Zero X thrown in. Talk about keeping it fresh. And they're not even using it right. So far I haven't seen a single loop, twist, corkscrew, tunnel, or cylinder. The people that think this will be a suitable replacement for F-Zero are out of their minds. And Mario Kart is way slower than F-Zero GX.

I for one love the fact that veterans crush beginners in F-Zero GX. When I win, I know that it was skill, that I earned my victory. And when I lose, I know that it was simply because I wasn't good enough, not because someone happened to get an absurdly powerful item. After years of being at the mercy of the blue shell and lightning, it is exhilarating to have a game with absolutely no cheapness in it. None! At all! On the other hand, with enough skill I can attack my opponents by smashing them off the course, where their vehicles explode, permanently removing them from the race. Now THAT is awesome.

I saw someone good at the game blast through some levels and it was more than just L and R(granted it was the story mode). The game just felt way harder overall(not that it's a bad thing, just made it less accessible for me). And liked I tried to convey, I don't want a serious, competitive racing game. I want to screw around to laugh when I play with my brother or friends because something completely ridiculous happened. Sure the items might feel unfair while I'm completing a tournament and I get smashed by several different items to go from 1st to 12th. But it doesn't happen enough to stop me from enjoying the game.

Casual kart racing with an emphasis on mayhem, items and wacky races is supposed to compare to technical, futuristic roller coaster spacecraft racing?

Sure, enjoy parties where no one else is going to play with you because they don't master every detail of this game. Your friends will love as you finish tracks a whole minute ahead of them since you know all of the advanced techniques. Also I'm pretty sure anyone is able to respawn in VS., at least in GX. Mario Kart is at least more accessible.

I do think F-Zero is a fantastic franchise, but I know it's not for everyone. Since it's not nearly as accessible, it won't sell nearly as much, and it shows considering the series has been mostly dead for years.

Edited by Woodshooter

I've played both F-Zero X and F-Zero GX, and I really prefer Mario Kart to it (to be totally honest, I don't care if the series stays dead). Mario Kart is much more easier to pick up and learn than F-Zero because it isn't always "the one with the most skill wins". I like items because I think they make things interesting. When it's just one skilled person against an army of the unskilled players, it gets really boring really quick. and I say this as the skilled person.

Calm down.

I've played every Mario Kart and F-Zero myself, and I prefer F-Zero(with GX being my favorite racing game) as a whole yet I still love Mario Kart. While Mario Kart may be easier to get into, the player with the most skill will still win despite the items.

F-Zero GX has flying cars

That's my point.

By 2015 F-Zero shouldn't be some far away vision into the future on flying cars, flying cars should be the norm by then.

When I saw the tires turning horizontally and the neons turning on, I immediately knew where the influence is from.

But seeing as you completely swallowed the fallacy that sequels need to be ~creative~ and ~innovative~ to be good, I see no reason to talk to you.

Actually speaking of innovation, Nintendo is still pioneering, refining and innovating in item-based gameplay.

They also seem to be the only company doing so because everyone else seems to deride item-based gameplay as 'broken' and 'luck-based.'

I just had a nostalgia attack from looking at the side-by-side comparison of N64 Rainbow Road

And I can't believe how good this game looks. The difference between the Wii and Wii U version of Moo Moo Meadows is mind-blowing.

I'm excited for this game too! I like that Ninty added all of the Koopalings to the roster. :D

And that Rainbow Road, omg. My favorite track is looking awesome as ever! I was never a racing game fan, but I love Mario Kart. :3

Sure, enjoy parties where no one else is going to play with you because they don't master every detail of this game. Your friends will love as you finish tracks a whole minute ahead of them since you know all of the advanced techniques.

When you say "advanced techniques", are you referring to things like "momentum turbo", "shift boosting", and "snaking"? Because I don't use any of them. Those are called "physics exploits". If some players want to take their game to the next level, more power to them, but my friends and I agree this is not how F-Zero GX was meant to be played. I win with basic driving techniques, a bit of track memorization, and quick decision making. And if I get ahead of my opponents, I always stop right before the finish line and try to drive past at the very last moment. You can't troll your friends like that in Mario Kart.

Even so, F-Zero GX has optional rubberbanding in multiplayer to keep things fair if necessary, so....yeah.

Most Mario Kart games have...

- less characters.

- less vehicles and customization.

- less original tracks.

- WAY less speed.

- worse graphics (except MK8, but that's on a much more powerful console)

- no story mode.

The issue with Mario Kart isn't just that it's unbalanced. The issue is that it's flat-out inferior to F-Zero GX in nearly every way. The only things it really has going for it are the battle modes and a much more gradual difficulty curve. I introduced my brother to F-Zero GX, and in about an hour he was almost as good as me. The only reason I kept beating him was that I knew the tracks better, but that can apply to any racing game. And with rubberbanding turned on, the races never get boring.

If Mario Kart 8 has at least 41 characters, 25 new tracks, 8000 distinct custom machines that you can color and attach custom emblems to, a story mode, individual toggles for items in multiplayer, optional rubberbanding, and a mode that makes everything go faster, THEN I will consider it a worthy purchase. Do you think it's gonna be that good?