Mario Kart 8

kingddd

When you say "advanced techniques", are you referring to things like "momentum turbo", "shift boosting", and "snaking"? Because I don't use any of them. Those are called "physics exploits". If some players want to take their game to the next level, more power to them, but my friends and I agree this is not how F-Zero GX was meant to be played. I win with basic driving techniques, a bit of track memorization, and quick decision making. And if I get ahead of my opponents, I always stop right before the finish line and try to drive past at the very last moment. You can't troll your friends like that in Mario Kart.

Even so, F-Zero GX has optional rubberbanding in multiplayer to keep things fair if necessary, so....yeah.

Most Mario Kart games have...

- less characters.

- less vehicles and customization.

- less original tracks.

- WAY less speed.

- worse graphics (except MK8, but that's on a much more powerful console)

- no story mode.

The issue with Mario Kart isn't just that it's unbalanced. The issue is that it's flat-out inferior to F-Zero GX in nearly every way. The only things it really has going for it are the battle modes and a much more gradual difficulty curve. I introduced my brother to F-Zero GX, and in about an hour he was almost as good as me. The only reason I kept beating him was that I knew the tracks better, but that can apply to any racing game. And with rubberbanding turned on, the races never get boring.

If Mario Kart 8 has at least 41 characters, 25 new tracks, 8000 distinct custom machines that you can color and attach custom emblems to, a story mode, individual toggles for items in multiplayer, optional rubberbanding, and a mode that makes everything go faster, THEN I will consider it a worthy purchase. Do you think it's gonna be that good?

I have a huge problem with that sentence.

Mario Kart is not inferior to F-Zero.

F-Zero is not inferior to Mario Kart.

Mario Kart is different than F-Zero.

You can have your own opinion on what you like or dislike in a racing game and if you prefer F-Zero because it offers a more 'serious' experience, there's nothing wrong with that. But most people here enjoy Mario Kart for what it is: a crazy, party oriented racing game filled with nonsense. I'm not buying Mario Kart expecting the definitive competitive racing game. I'm buying a game where I can trip my friends kart with banana peels and have a giant piranha plant chew on them while racing through colorful Mario-inspired vistas. If you're looking for a fun racing games to play with all your friends, even the non-gamer ones, Mario Kart is a great game. I played the Wii version this new year with my cousin that barely touch video game consoles and we all had a pretty good time since they performed well despite the lack of experience. And even when they were last, they still have fun because of the wacky situations Mario Kart can throw at you. Instead of analyzing Mario Kart through the lens of competitive racing, you should take it for the casual party racing game it is.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have to say that the updated Rainbow Road blew my fricking mind. It looks so amazing. Makes me wonder what they're doing for the real Rainbow Road.

I do have to say that the updated Rainbow Road blew my fricking mind. It looks so amazing. Makes me wonder what they're doing for the real Rainbow Road.

Those were exactly my thoughts after watching N64 rainbow road. I can't believe how good the game looks.

Edited by LuxSpes

Ohhh this is great! I am still waiting for lucky 8! Bwhahaha, I loved the shell only mode in mk7, combined with lucky 7 reds it was hilarious. Don't have a wii u yet but this is one of the games I'll be getting when I do get one.

Yeah, Mario Kart 8's Rainbow Road will likely be really amazing, especially with all the anti-gravity sections the track will have. Plus, when you take into account the awesome graphics and vibrant colour scheme of Mario Kart 8, it'll add up to one beautiful, exhilarating ride. I can't wait to hear what the music of Mario Kart 8's Rainbow Road will sound like, as well.

Oh, guys, do you think the Wii Wheel will still be compatible? I definitely think so, I mean, why the hell not?

Seeing how I saw people using the Wii Wheel controls for Mario Kart 8 at the E3 Best Buy Event, it should be unless they changed it for some reason.

I thought I should post this:

mk8select1-600x337.png

So we're potentially getting 30 characters in all. Of the reoccurring veterans, Dry Bones, Diddy, and Bowser Jr. haven't been revealed, so maybe it's them? At the same time, I find it a little weird that they put in Metal Mario and not Wiggler, especially when Metal Mario received a lot more negative reception than Wiggler in Mario Kart 7. Honey Queen not returning, I can kind of understand since she received even more criticism than Metal Mario (though I'm personally against Metal Mario more, since at least Honey Queen uses a unique model and she adds a lot more variety to the Mario Kart cast than others).

Edited by Randoman

- no story mode.

So? Most of the F-Zero games don't have a story mode, and the ones that do have incredibly cheesy ones.

Anyway, I really can't wait for this game, especially since the Koopalings are playable (about time too).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I have to admit, that N64 Rainbow Road remake looks pretty sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcpK0_f1whs

But for the final course, it doesn't look very hard... definitely not as challenging as Phantom Road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q1fFGDSpG4

Kirby Air Ride also has a similar course...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJfQi9CwAM8

I wonder, why do all Nintendo racers always have to end with a psychedelic track in space?

Oh man this looks so great, i'm so tempted to take the wii u from my little bro and the tv. If only the little bugger would let me take it to uni though. Actually its probably best that he doesn't, i have enough distractions already. Can't wait to try this out, and i definately hope wii wheel is a thing again. Its so fun to use it.

Edited by SlayerX

So? Most of the F-Zero games don't have a story mode, and the ones that do have incredibly cheesy ones.

Cheesy stories are the best stories, NM.

Also, why wouldn't the Wiiwheel be a thing? The controls from MKWii(barring the GC controller[without stuff]) are in MK8 too. Plus the pad.

@Randoman: That is a surprisingly nice bundle! Mario Kart 8, a Wii Remote Plus, and a Mario hat, all for free with the Wii U and Gamepad. Had I not already quit Mario Kart, I would definitely be interested in that. I bet an F-Zero bundle would include Captain Falcon's helmet and a Wii U Pro Controller.

EDIT: I just noticed the bundle Gamepad isn't actually red; it's white with a red skin on it.

Edited by Zera

EDIT: I just noticed the bundle Gamepad isn't actually red; it's white with a red skin on it.

and the bundled Wii U is black. I don't even know if it's false advertising or not.

For those that don't know register MK8 will let you have the following downloadable games for free.

If you're in the US or Canada, you can register Mario Kart 8 on Club Nintendo before the end of July, and receive either one of these games for free:
Wind Waker HD
Pikmin 3
New Super Mario Bros. U
Wii Party U
If you're in Europe, you can choose one of these games for free:
Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
Wind Waker HD
Sonic Lost World
Mario and Sonic Olympics
Wii Party U
Wonderful 101
Monster Hunter 3
Edited by kingddd

The new Direct really has me psyched for Mario Kart 8 now, especially the new Bowser's Castle and the Super Horn item (Blue Shell haters are really going to love it. Plus, I like how it's an big area of effect attack that's not a projectile, like a Bob-omb).

Though a few nitpicks of mine:

-Baby Rosalina (though I suppose it makes sense due to the regular Rosalina's popularity. I hope the babies stop there, though) and "Pink Gold Peach" (need I say more?). I was hoping for characters like Kamek or E. Gadd. The koopalings were a really pleasant suprise though and I'm quite psyched for them.

-Diddy Kong, Dry Bones, Birdo, and Bowser Jr. not being playable. They've each been playable at least twice, and I don't really get why they were cut out. Though I personally don't main any of them, I still feel like cutting reoccurring veteran Mario Kart characters in a console Mario Kart game is really weird.

-the Mario Kart 64 biasedness in the retro track choice being prevalent yet again. I'm hoping we'll never see another Mario Kart 64 track as retro ever again since they've used each and every one, but I have a bad feeling they'll start using Mario Kart 64 tracks twice as retro tracks in Mario Kart 9.

-Wiggler not making it in. Sure, he's not reoccurring as a playable Mario Kart character, but of the 4 newcomers in Mario Kart 7, I think most agree that he was the most reasonable of the 4 newcomers that were chosen. I mean, there's a lot of Honey Queen and Metal Mario haters, and playable Lakitu receives a fair amount of hate since there's already Fishing Lakitu as the host.

Nitpicks aside, I'm still really going to be enjoying Mario Kart 8 with how dynamic and hectic the anti-gravity, gliders, and underwater segments will make the races.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U/Mario-Kart-8-765384.html

Every course in the game are now officially revealed on their official website.

Here's a list if you don't want to go to the website:

Mushroom Cup

- Mario Kart Stadium
- Water Park
- Sweet Sweet Canyon
- Thwomp Ruin
Flower Cup
- Mario Circuit
- Toad Harbour
- Twisted Mansion
- Shy Guy Fall
Star Cup
- Sunshine Airport
- Dolphin Shoals
- Electrodome
- Mount Wario
Special Cup
- Cloudtop Cruise
- Bone Dry Dunes
- Bowser's Castle
- Rainbow Road
Shell Cup
- (Wii) Moo Moo Meadows
- (GBA) Mario Circuit
- (DS) Cheep Cheep Beach
- (N64) Toad's Turnpike
Banana Cup
- (GCN) Dry Dry Desert
- (SNES) Donut Plains 3
- (N64) Royal Raceway
- (3DS) DK Jungle
Leaf Cup
- (DS) Wario Stadium
- (GCN) Sherbet Land
- (3DS) Melody MOtorway
- (N64) Yoshi Valley
Lightning Cup
- (DS) Tick Tock Clock
- (3DS) Piranha Plant Pipeway
- (Wii) Grumble Volcano
- (N64) Rainbow Road

Wow normally i'm pretty up to date when it comes to directs, but I had no idea this one launched. I like the way they did this one.

I wasn't that hyped for Mario Kart 8 before, but it looks gorgeous, has a nice free game attached to it and it will probably be of the same high quality so I guess i'll buy it.

The new characters are lame though.

I'm mad at the fact that Dry Bones(and the other 3 too, but I mained Dry Bones in MK Wii) got cut, but that Metal Mario, Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach got in. The 2 last characters weren't even in a Mario game before.