Mario Kart 8

kingddd

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long did everyone play? I would have liked to join, but I was away at the time the tournament started.

Usually we play for 1 hr and 30 mins. Even longer if we had more players usually when we did tournaments frequently.

This one had the most players we ever had played at once. Would be nice to play with this many people again one day.

sept 6th tournie

edit:

Race timestamps and highlights

Races:
0:00:00 Animal Crossing
0:02:32 Mute City
0:05:13 Dragon Driftway
0:07:46 Mute City
0:10:32 Baby Park
0:12:25 Ribbon Road
0:15:02 Wild Woods
0:17:35 Baby Park
0:19:21 GCN Yoshi Circuit
0:22:02 Cloudtop Cruise
0:24:50 Excitebike
0:27:21 N64 Rainbow Road
0:29:20 Wild Woods
0:31:50 Toad's Turnpike
0:34:25 Neo Bowser City
0:37:00 Baby Park
0:38:43 Big Blue
0:41:10 Ribbon Road
0:43:40 Cheese Land
0:46:20 Snes Rainbow road
0:48:43 Ice Ice Outpost
0:51:10 Neo Bowser City
0:53:55 Animal Crossing
0:56:30 Subway
0:58:59 Wario's Gold Mine
1:01:46 Wild Woods
1:04:19 Big Blue
1:06:25 Rainbow Road
Highlights
0:06:25 - 0:06:45 I swear to god these items
0:08:20 - Everyone getting Dijoned
0:09:03 - LET ME OUT OF THIS WILD RIDE!!
0:12:50 - Me and Michael failed shortcut
0:16:23 - Double Green Shells
0:22:21 - Freaking Alan
0:27:00 - that last turn. Gemma almost catches up.
0:28:55 - final stretch
0:35:09 - Dijon Strikes again
0:39:08 - Me and Dijon get wrecked
0:45:56 - Everyone starts boosting
0:50 30 - Poor Gemma
0:57:28 - Crazy 8s the bane of my existence
0:59:52 - Chains everytime

Video is up

Edited by kingddd

Weird question, but does anyone think the Baby Park music is... trolling you or making fun of you or something? I never got to play Double Dash except at other people's places and in on Mario Kart DS I never really turned up the music that high on my DS, so Mario Kart 8 is the first time I've ever been able to listen to it well.

Drift really early, and brake while drifting if you have to even if you're not on 200cc. Yeah, it may require you to brake to almost a dead stop, but it's still faster than falling off.

Drifting early alone helped me on that turn in 100cc, but in 150 I did have to result to that almost dead stop drift tactic quite a few times.

Good games from the tournament. Rendering and editing the video. Should be up by tomorrow. Video heavily involves me getting Dijoned.

Leave yourself some space and drift early. Try staying at the right side as much as possible if you are drifting left and vice versa. This will give you enough room to make the turns.

It's the same music from Gamecube, I think Baby Park is supposed to sound like an amusement park or something.

Thanks for the tips guys, worked out nicely.

Yeah, same here, since I couldn't join today due to yesterday's plans to go somewhere being postponed to today. I'd like to rejoin Saturday! Thinking of using my Frederick Mii dressed in the Link suit. XD

Frederick racing on a bike lol.

Thanks. It definitely wasn't easy, especially with item luck being against me so often (like getting Blue Shelled at the final stretch of Big Blue). In addtion, some turns are so much more harder to deal with in 200cc (like the 2nd last turn in Neo Bowser City or most of Yoshi Circuit). Also, bananas are much more fatal in 200cc since you go too fast to be able to avoid them as easily as in lower CCs.

Though in the end it just boils down to braking the right amount during turns, ignoring certain shortcuts due to them not working well in 200cc, taking the dirt paths when neccessary, just constantly trying over to find the best way to deal with certain turns and other parts, and trying again and again since item luck will not be in your favour most of the time.

Yeah, I did notice that the game's little description for 200cc said that braking was required. I don't think I could ever handle it though, regardless of my item luck... But yeah, bad item luck like that stinks. It's screwed me over from 3-starring 150cc cups. >_<

Is it just me or does online 200cc pretty much suck?

I love playing it, but any group I end up playing with (either in the 200cc tournament Nintendo hosts or through the Custom Worldwides feature) has like 4 other guys tops and the rest of the slots are CPUs, which isn't really that fun.

Is it just me or does online 200cc pretty much suck?

I love playing it, but any group I end up playing with (either in the 200cc tournament Nintendo hosts or through the Custom Worldwides feature) has like 4 other guys tops and the rest of the slots are CPUs, which isn't really that fun.

200's the only way I play nowadays. Smaller engine sizes feel really slow now.

I usually get at least 6-8 other people through worldwide customs when I play in the evening.