Mario Kart 8

kingddd

Personally, the rosters for both this and Smash Bros are pretty disappointing to me.

I think the Smash Bros roster is decent enough, and there may still be unrevealed/secret characters (Captain Falcon?).The MK8 roster, on the other hand, is just disappointing.

No King Boo, Funky Kong, Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr., Dry Bowser, Dry bones, Wiggler, Honey Queen, Petey Pirahna, or R.O.B.

If they're gonna make half the roster out of babies and Koopalings, they could at least put in a few more characters that people actually want to play as.

I have a bad feeling some of these characters will be paid DLC... after all, they already did it in Mario Golf: World Tour.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Smash Bros roster is decent enough, and there may still be unrevealed/secret characters (Captain Falcon?).The MK8 roster, on the other hand, is just disappointing.

No King Boo, Funky Kong, Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr., Dry Bowser, Dry bones, Wiggler, Honey Queen, Petey Pirahna, or R.O.B.

If they're gonna make half the roster out of babies and Koopalings, they could at least put in a few more characters that people actually want to play as.

I have a bad feeling some of these characters will be paid DLC... after all, they already did it in Mario Golf: World Tour.

C. Falcs will get in, don't worry.

No Honey Queen I'm completely okay with, but yeah, the babies and koopalings being a huge amount of the roster is quite sad compared to something like Mario Kart Wii.

I hope not because that's a really stupid way to get cash, but at the same time, some part of me hopes they will so I can get my main, Dry Bones, back.

My main has been out of the game ever since they took DK Jr. out. :c

Then they took Diddy out, so now it's all about Lakitu. Not complaining though, Lakitu is my all time favourite Mario world character.

• 2 weeks later...
The reviews for Mario Kart 8 are in!
And it STILL can't match the metascore of F-Zero GX!
From GamesRadar's review of Mario Kart 8...

"And so, you drive over a blue bar on the track and--with a seamless, automatic transition--your kart’s wheels fold downward and suddenly you’re driving on walls, ceilings… even vertically. What a shame anti-gravity ‘state’ only has a marginal effect on gameplay. The handling doesn’t change, to the point where you can even stop dead and you won’t fall off. So even when you're upside-down, corners still feel the same, to the point where you rarely even realise you’re upside-down in the first place (especially considering the camera hardly changes position), which is disappointing."

I knew the anti-gravity would have no effect on gameplay, just like gliding and underwater segments in Mario Kart 7. It's a pointless, over-hyped feature after all.

By the way, they gave it a lower score than F-Zero GX.

http://www.gamesradar.com/mario-kart-8-review/

http://www.gamesradar.com/f-zero-gx-review/

"And so, you drive over a blue bar on the track and--with a seamless, automatic transition--your kart’s wheels fold downward and suddenly you’re driving on walls, ceilings… even vertically. What a shame anti-gravity ‘state’ only has a marginal effect on gameplay. The handling doesn’t change, to the point where you can even stop dead and you won’t fall off. So even when you're upside-down, corners still feel the same, to the point where you rarely even realise you’re upside-down in the first place (especially considering the camera hardly changes position), which is disappointing."

I knew the anti-gravity would have no effect on gameplay, just like gliding and underwater segments in Mario Kart 7. It's a pointless, over-hyped feature after all.

Can we please PLEASE stop comparing it to F-Zero? I am a huge F-Zero fan and played the crap out of every single F-Zero game in existence including F-Zero Climax and I feel this is uncalled for.

We get it Mario Kart is not as good as F-Zero. Also Metacritics scores are not the best way show off what game is better or not.

Edited by kingddd

Dude, if the only reason why you post in the thread is to put down Mario Kart 8 in favor of F-Zero, then that is considered trolling. Cut it out. Last warning.

Dude, if the only reason why you post in the thread is to put down Mario Kart 8 in favor of F-Zero, then that is considered trolling. Cut it out. Last warning.

I would like to point your attention to a bit of this particular video here: (watch from 3:48 to 5:00)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb3HQlFmfds&t=3m48s

In this episode of Extra Credits, Daniel explains, among other things, referencing other games when reviewing/critiquing a game.

Unless I'm not allowed to criticize Mario Kart 8... in the Mario Kart 8 topic. Thanks for clearing that up then. I don't wanna be a troll, so I'll leave this topic.

Someone uploaded a neat High resolution video of Rainbow Road 64. Please note to run the video at 2x speed to see it run in 60fps

Edited by kingddd

I'm avoiding watching any of Mario Kart 8's tracks being fully played out, since I want to experience the tracks blind and completely unaware of what to expect. I made an exception for Donut Plains 3 since I really had to know how they'd make my most hated Super Mario Kart track improved and more enjoyable. Other than that track, I want the full track layouts to be a suprise as well as all the hazards and shortcuts they hold.

Anyways, I thought I'd update this thread with some news tidbits:

Nintendo is bringing back multiplayer Grand Prix, which I'm really glad they're doing. I did a lot of 2 player Grand Prix back in Super Mario Kart, and I really missed being able to have my younger siblings join me in winning trophies. Now we'll even be able to unlock characters together, which'll be really awesome. Whether it's only up to 2 players or if they're letting a full team of four join in, I'm happy either way. I have to wonder how letter/star rankings will work with multiple players though. I hope getting star rankings with other human players around won't be too counterproductive.

Also, characters are now randomly unlocked after defeating certain cups on certain CCs. In other words, you never know which character you're going to get next even if you know fulfilling a certain condition will unlock a character, since it's randomly chosen. I'm not sure if I'm happy with this or not (it's hardly earth shattering to me, either way). It'll keep things unpredictable and fresh, especially among different people's save files (well, before they fully unlock the roster), but if you're unlucky unlocking your favourite character will be a huge pain. I'm hoping that Rosalina and Iggy will be among the first characters I unlock.

Also, unlockable characters are able to show up as computer opponents even before being unlocked. I guess that makes Rosalina showing up on the box despite being unlockable a lot less weird. I'm also not sure if I'm happy with this or not (also hardly a big deal, either way). On the bright side, it'll be really nice not being stuck with seeing the same default characters constantly in Grand Prix races before unlocking your first character, and it'll definitely make the racer lineups a lot more varied for the whole game, regardless of how many characters you've unlocked. It'll be quite frustrating seeing a character you want to unlock as an AI opponent, but not having them unlocked though.

Ugh, yeah, unlocking your favorite characters could be a pain.

I'm really looking forward to this game now, but I've got two small issues with it.

1. If the Koopalings are playable, where the hell is Bowser Jr.? I don't see how it makes sense for him to be left out but his siblings to be in, especially since Bowser Jr. is more prominent in the franchise. :/

2. Of the newcomers, I get the idea of Baby Rosalina, because the other princesses plus Mario and Luigi have baby forms, so why the hell not give Rosy a baby form too? But where the hell did "Pink Gold Peach" come from? That's got to be the lamest idea ever.

There's no arguing Pink Gold Peach is lame, but it probably comes from Metal Mario.

Also, I'm very hyped for the game, and my interest for MK died when I was 10!

ps: however, reading this whole thing makes me wanna play FZGX.... dshshjahjahsjashj.

Nintendo is bringing back multiplayer Grand Prix, which I'm really glad they're doing. I did a lot of 2 player Grand Prix back in Super Mario Kart, and I really missed being able to have my younger siblings join me in winning trophies. Now we'll even be able to unlock characters together, which'll be really awesome. Whether it's only up to 2 players or if they're letting a full team of four join in, I'm happy either way. I have to wonder how letter/star rankings will work with multiple players though. I hope getting star rankings with other human players around won't be too counterproductive.

It's been confirmed to allow 4 player grandprix.

Ugh, yeah, unlocking your favorite characters could be a pain.

I'm really looking forward to this game now, but I've got two small issues with it.

1. If the Koopalings are playable, where the hell is Bowser Jr.? I don't see how it makes sense for him to be left out but his siblings to be in, especially since Bowser Jr. is more prominent in the franchise. :/

2. Of the newcomers, I get the idea of Baby Rosalina, because the other princesses plus Mario and Luigi have baby forms, so why the hell not give Rosy a baby form too? But where the hell did "Pink Gold Peach" come from? That's got to be the lamest idea ever.

I think we can all agree that the majority of Mario Kart 8's roster is pretty questionable. From a development perspective looks like they had to remodel everyone with higher polygon counts and a lot more animation efforts was put into it. Of course it's a very lazy roster with a bunch of koopalings all those babies and a reskinned peach. Somewhere in the Nintendo board they thought hmmmm people totally liked metal mario and those baby characters why not add pink gold peach and another baby?

The roster was more unique in the Wii version because they basically took the models from Mario Kart Double Dash and slapped it on to the Wii version. Even the character selection animation is the same for characters that appeared in the previous double dash title. Because of this they had more development time to add in newer unique characters which is why the wii version has such a more varied roster.

I'm seriously expecting they're saving characters and tracks for DLC/SpotPass later on. I find it hard to believe this is the final roster, specially since the game isn't even out and it's already fully revealed.

I still want to see a WarioWare guest character. Ever since they introduced bikes, Mona feels like it would fit right in.

I'm seriously expecting they're saving characters and tracks for DLC/SpotPass later on. I find it hard to believe this is the final roster, specially since the game isn't even out and it's already fully revealed.

At this point, I'm actually hoping this is the case, and I'm not the biggest fan of not having the entire game when you buy it.

I don't mind DLC. It keeps me from getting bored of a game quickly. But I still think Bowser Jr. should've had more priority over his siblings...

It depends on the type of DLC. If it's something like story DLC, with an arc separate from the main story arc, then I'm fine with it, but something like new skins, characters (Unless they completely change the way the game is played), etc. is just something I'm not fond of. Those things should already be in when you shell out your $60. And yeah, Bowser Jr. > Koopalings. They were more filler than anything. Is there any reason to have SEVEN of them?

I find it hard to believe this is the final roster, specially since the game isn't even out and it's already fully revealed.

Mario Kart 7's final roster was shown off more than a month before its release so this isn't unprecedented.

Mario Kart 7's final roster was shown off more than a month before its release so this isn't unprecedented.

True that. But back then, Nintendo wasn't doing Day 1 DLC either.

Also, MK7's roster wasn't bad for 16 characters. The only oddball choice was lack of Waluigi (and including DS Waluigi Pinball to boot).

EDIT: I also think that if Nintendo does DLC for this game, it will be in packs of four tracks (in other words, a new cup), which also includes a certain amount of characters.

Edited by Jave

This looks like a fun game, I haven't played Mario Kart since Wii and I highly enjoyed that and it looks like grand fun all over again.

Another game to add to my Wii U list when I get one. Along with Sonic Lost World, Mario 3D World, Hyrule Warriors and Smash 4 and a fair few others hell my friends at job corps want me to get a Wii U for Mario Kart, 3D World, Nintendo Land and when it comes out Smash 4 for a tourney

I don't mind DLC. It keeps me from getting bored of a game quickly. But I still think Bowser Jr. should've had more priority over his siblings...

Bowser Jr. is unrelated to the Koopalings.

Also, can't have one Koopaling without the others, so yeah.

I double posted.

I'll take this opprotunity to say unlocking won't be a problem for me. Since Yoshi, Daisy and Baby Daisy are already unlocked. I'd only be hoping for Baby Rosalina.

Edited by Emeraldfox

Er, no he isn't. They're all Bowser's children. :/

Miyamoto did say that they aren't Bowser's children anymore at this moment or something like that. I do ignore that little bit of info though.

Miyamoto did say that they aren't Bowser's children anymore at this moment or something like that. I do ignore that little bit of info though.

Where did you heard that from? By the way, where was this mentioned that Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr., Birdo, and some of the rest were cut for Mario Kart 8?

Edited by King Marth 64