Mono's Map stuff and sometimes mugs too

Mono

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom half of the map is interesting enough. But, it loses momentum in the top half where it feels very sparse. The beach feels like lost potential. Maybe a redesign is in order?

Some day. Maybe.

maze_zps2e2a387e.png

To make this minimally interesting, have some story.

maze2_zps934b753a.png

The magic units are explorers who are just looking for ancient stuff, treasure, whatever. The enemies and pegasi, however, want to march onward but need to cross this place before they can.

The one pegasus knight is reckless and heads straight to the bottom of the map. Later on the two ally forces meet and join together to defeat the enemies.
Said enemies are just a small scouting group sent to see if anything is ahead. Later on when you approach the boss, a promoted enemy and some reinforcements spawn. After that, you simply need to escape on the stair tile on the bottom left.

... Ignore the bad enemy placement. And the fact that I forgot to shade a treasure chest I'm sorry I'm trash ;_;

• 5 weeks later...

How's the water held in the second temple? I like the narrow docks in the first one, never seen that done before.Of course, this tileset really screws with proportions/perspective if you pay attention to that.

More!

Bethroen4_zps26326e23.png

Bethroen5_zps67d9ba54.png

This one has a secret shop on the broken tile that you can get on by breaking the wall. (i know the crack looks weird but it was a 3-tile high wall i had no choice ;-;)

and GODDAMNIT I just now noticed I missed shading at the bottom left.

You're going to town on this tileset. I really like the bridge one. The furthest upper right thickets on the second one look cut off, look for the edge thicket pieces. I also think you could do a little more with elevation on that one, but that's your choice.

Apparently I get the best map ideas IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT.

Bethroen8_zps0757f1c8.png

EDIT #1: Shading looks kind of odd on some tiles-- fixing that.

EDIT #2:

Bethroen8_zpsf3a190b7.png

There we go, perspective's better now.

Edited by Mono the Meerp

Since you have previously stated that you're not focused on keeping the maps hack-insertable, I feel like some custom tiles or alterations to the tileset might do an even greater job at helping convey the perspective on this one (though I'm still confused about one part). It probably took me a good five minutes to realize that the entire top right quadrant such as the wall tiles below the two chests were actually conveying a hole between high "platforms" (for lack of a better term) than some kind of elevation change. I think it would vastly improve viewers' ease of determining this by adding some shadowed tiles for all of those spots to help show the depth of the gaps not unlike the Dragon's Gate tileset when it transitions in the black "abyss" below the walls. Similarly, the tall drops that have walls jutting out to their left could probably use more shadowing on the left side to convey the depth also.

The part that still has me confused is this one right here:

871e7274b564430957e50307e3095d75.png

Even though I get that it's supposed to be a recessed wall, the height seems (well, is, unless I'm just misunderstanding what you're going for here) too high for the wall - it should match the height of the wall to the left of the big set of stairs to be level.

Disregard that, I figured it out now. The room at the bottom of the map and the wall "behind" it are actually separated by spatial distance (with water down below), right? If that's the case, then it really probably needs what I suggested above, since right now, it's "blended" to the point that everything looks connected.

Outside of the technological (i.e. default tileset) "limitations", I really like the concept of the map. However, to really drive home its appearance and flow, it's going to need a cosmetic facelift of smoe custom tiles to really give it that extra pop.

Edited by Lord Glenn

Apparently I get the best map ideas IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT.

I know that feeling bro.

Great maps as usual, but you really fucked my eyes with this one.

• 7 months later...

I'm baaaaack! .... Kind of. Excuse my absence, sometimes I forget forums after a while because I somehow don't visit them because I do other stuff on the internet and then I just... forget. Yeah.

Moving on, here's a semi-replication of Awakening's Chapter 25 because I just played that again and felt like turning it into a GBA map.

Chapter25_zps632e0f7a.png

Looking freakin sweet! Keep up the good work! =o

Woa dis last map is super sweet ♡

Thanks ♥

This map looks like it'd be fun to play.

How does one access the throne though? Is that raised part by the wall a doorway?

Yeah that's a door. Door tiles looks weird horizontally, you're not the only one.

• 3 weeks later...

not a necro yet! just wanted to say your maps are swwwwweeeetttt!

Thank you!

Since I've been a little inactive, here's a few maps from my FE RP on another site:

MjhG7pI.png

ygwMPox.png

EjYUVSt.png

EmwUrF8.png