Mono's Map stuff and sometimes mugs too

Mono

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to everyone!

This might be a little unfitting, but question for fellow mappers: How the HELL do you do castle maps? They're always really bad looking when I do them - I make the outdoor areas too big, the rooms and hallways are too small and it never flows well at all. Any help? :/

uh

good question, I've never known either :B

Basically what I try to do is avoid 1 tile hallways and have branching paths that lead to the same place. I don't tend to use pillars very often either, because they sometimes clutter everything up to me.

As for outside area... it depends on the map; some maps can get away with no outside area, while some almost scream "add something outside". However, in every map I've seen for the most part, the outside area isn't bigger than the inside area.

idk if you want some crap to look at, feel free

well while i'm here I might as well c&c the maps

no real comment for the desert map, although the walls on the right are kind of annoyingly stair-like, but other than that it's a nice map(even with it it's nice).

boats are boats, idk how anyone can make them more interesting or less interesting, although I like the 3 boat idea sheerly because you don't see that often lol

the snow map is cool, but that tileset is the issue; if you look next to every cliff tile and river tile, you can see an outline for the lighter snow, which is dumb; but I think it'd look better adhering to the stupid tileset's demands

as for the fort map, there are some shading issues, but other than that I like it(it reminds me of another map I've seen before... but idk who made it--wait it was trent wasn't it...)

Edited by Skitty of Time

Thanks to everyone!

This might be a little unfitting, but question for fellow mappers: How the HELL do you do castle maps? They're always really bad looking when I do them - I make the outdoor areas too big, the rooms and hallways are too small and it never flows well at all. Any help? :/

I just reference the original series' castles, as well as always, always keep in mind enemy placements. Many mappers make maps purely on aesthetics and ignore what it will actually be like to move across a map and engage enemies on it, which can give rise to some cramped and wooly map design. You can always try to mimic or even patch-work designs from the series into your own maps, for example, cropping out maps and piecing them together in new ways like a puzzle, instead of laying tiles one by one.

Another important factor is to have already determined the flow of the map ahead of time.

Here's an example map I did for someone else's project. I still think it's very cramped, but it works with the goal of the chapter.

H6rkbaw.png

Edited by Celice

Thanks for the tips!

Since you guys liked the snow map so much, I made another one. This time I even went ahead and put the silly lighter snow where it was needed:

RVltDZM.png

I may have gone overboard with the trees, but considering where this takes place, I think it's fine, personally.

(Also: There's a secret shop on this map~)

I like the previous one better, but that's just because it seems like a more interesting place to live, with all the bridges and water.

A couple of things I noticed:

GYTakaL.png

Red boxes: Really straight lines that pop out and don't seem natural. Blue box: Not a problem with the map as such, but wouldn't the forest right in front of the castle get in the way of people (and supplies) coming and going? Going around is a possibility, but given the scale, it seems like it would be a noticeable detour. I'd think they would have cleared a road through it.

Yeah I might still do something about those straight lines - in general the map feels a little unnatural.

Also, that's not a castle but rather a temple/some ruins, it was just that the castle was the only "big" building in the tileset so I used that...

I don't see a problem with it being so straight, but the mountain itself is definitely a little strange. The verticality of the map doesn't match how it actually slopes to the ground, if that makes sense... the mountain is large, but the slopes don't match the size. If it was a single-mass it'd look better to me, but with the houses breaking it up, it feels like the mountain should be broken into smaller parts too.

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm not even sure if I'm still allowed to post something here considering I haven't done so in goddamn ages (because I keep forgetting I exist on here), and I haven't been mapping a bunch lately, so here's a few that are older and I don't think I've posted. Maybe I'll make something new sometime, I've been trying to but I need to get over my rustiness.

m5LPZ6F.pngcFie0Vt.png

(I feel like I've posted this one before but I'm honestly really not sure. Here's a version with both parts together)

RI6aNPU.png

OLXtvXP.png

mQlNvfE.png

oQ6pElv.png

Sweet_Basil: Is that Monteriggioni?

Mono:

First Map: It's good, though kinda symmetrical. It's not exactly something that's wrong with the map, but I tend to avoid it if possible. There is one random tile with grass borders on the left side of the map though.
Second Map: Same symmetrical thing.

Third Map: I like it, not many maps in that Tileset. These three tiles look off to me though, I don't think you need the shadow in the first one, and the other two are missing borders I think.
https://gyazo.com/38178b8184b0afababbd060a957b265f
https://gyazo.com/d00e9cc1fbd2658b22573c0be153f2f8
https://gyazo.com/4a460c78b8d5fe0fac73959576c5daf3

Fourth Map: I like pretty much everything that's on land, but the river just looks so weird and spammy to me. I'd personally replace the river border tiles with cliff/sea border tiles, and then fill it with stationary water.

Fifth Map: I like it, though it feel kinda cramped. Like there's no actual room despite it being that big. ANother thing that bugs me is the backwards cliff/river tile you used in some places ( https://gyazo.com/5f3277284b7d3403e0311fc5e3c5b738 ). I'm pretty sure you're not using it wrong, that tile just looks wrong to me, same as the moving river tile. There are also some problems in the mountains, but nothing too noticeable.

Thanks for the comments. (... and sorry for the late reply, lol)

Sweet_Basil: Is that Monteriggioni?

Mono:

First Map: It's good, though kinda symmetrical. It's not exactly something that's wrong with the map, but I tend to avoid it if possible. There is one random tile with grass borders on the left side of the map though.
Second Map: Same symmetrical thing.

Third Map: I like it, not many maps in that Tileset. These three tiles look off to me though, I don't think you need the shadow in the first one, and the other two are missing borders I think.
https://gyazo.com/38178b8184b0afababbd060a957b265f
https://gyazo.com/d00e9cc1fbd2658b22573c0be153f2f8
https://gyazo.com/4a460c78b8d5fe0fac73959576c5daf3

Fourth Map: I like pretty much everything that's on land, but the river just looks so weird and spammy to me. I'd personally replace the river border tiles with cliff/sea border tiles, and then fill it with stationary water.

Fifth Map: I like it, though it feel kinda cramped. Like there's no actual room despite it being that big. ANother thing that bugs me is the backwards cliff/river tile you used in some places ( https://gyazo.com/5f3277284b7d3403e0311fc5e3c5b738 ). I'm pretty sure you're not using it wrong, that tile just looks wrong to me, same as the moving river tile. There are also some problems in the mountains, but nothing too noticeable.

First and Second: It's intentional, I obviously tend to avoid this too, but it seemed like it would fit in this map.

Third: The shadow is also intentional to make it look like the ground is lower than the one next to it. The second does look a little weird and I probably could've chosen a different tile. As for the third, I really don't know, the borders were a tiny bit confusing to work with back when I made this, pfft.

Fourth: I mean... it's just supposed to be a big river. xP FE7 17 did this too, but it's different tiles which is weird because I couldn't find the ones used in there. Maybe I'm just blind. I guess cliffs would also have worked.

Fifth: This was mainly just a test to see how far I could go with mountains, I think. If I wanted to make it more of an open field I'm pretty sure I would have, pfft. And yeah, the backwards cliff/river tile looks weird but it's also weird if there's only the not reversed ones on the map.

• 2 months later...

I don't think I've posted this map but I'm honestly not even sure anymore at this point.

7oKr8qw.png

Also something I started on a while ago but haven't gotten around to finish yet for some reason. (Tileset credit to Feaw)

LMctI9R.png