Games you like but most people hate

xblade

• Chrono Cross - Only on here because of the "haters" who don't consider it a true sequel to Chrono Trigger. If there weren't legions of people hating it solely for that reason, it wouldn't meet the second criteria at all.

Drakengard 2 - Niche/cult series to begin with. Most people seem to prefer the first game over this one, simply because of the story. I actually prefer the "better" combat mechanics, despite the flaws still in the system.

Grandia Xtreme - Not my favorite (or really anyone else's) in the series at all, but the ability to go back into dungeons, find "loot", and take on bosses over and over (at least to the point I'm at in the game) certainly makes up for it.

Radiata Stories - I don't know if people actually hate this game or if it's just less known and no one talks about it. One of my friends did detest the game though, solely because the battle system wasn't as good as the Tales series' ones.

Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - Worst one of the series, nowhere near as good as the first three, blah, blah, blah, blah. I don't care. I'll take localization over greatness w/ no localization pretty much every time.

Zone of the Enders - The only reason most people even cared about this game was just for the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo. I actually bought the game for the game. (Too bad it's really short.)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario Sunshine

Mario Sunshine

Super Mario Sunshine

I like Mario Sunshine. Is it really hated that much?

I don't think it is.

I think Mario Sunshine generally isn't as highly regarded as 64 or Galaxy, but it's still a well-loved game. Personally, I find it about equal to 64 (though I prefer Sunshine) and a hell of a lot better than Galaxy.

I hate Sunshine because it throws you into an overworld and then expects you to find everything with no help. I had absolutely no clue what I was doing and the game didn't give you a single hint as to where to go or what to do next. I couldn't enjoy it because of that. I'm not saying a game should hold your hand, but I think it SHOULD provide at least a few hints.

How old were you when you played this game? The game always shows you what to do, from the very beginning. When you first get to Isle Delfino, you're shown the piranha blob thing that you have to defeat. Then you chase Shadow Mario into the statue. Then at the appropriate amount of Shine Sprites every newly unlocked level is panned over and zoomed out every time you arrive back at Isle Delfino until it has something new to show you. Every level similarly shows you your objective. I've heard complaints about the game, but this is definitely not one of them.

My choices for this would be Star Fox Adventures, Luigi's Mansion, and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. They are not necessarily hated, but not too well-regarded either.

Star Fox Adventures

Star Fox Assault

Sonic Heroes

Sonic Unleashed

Sonic and the Black Knight

Fire Emblem The Binding Blade

Chrono Cross

Final Fantasy 8

Final Fantasy 13

Eternal Eyes

Dynasty Warriors 6 (5 and 7 and 8 are much better but I did enjoy 6)

Dragon Ball Z Sagas

Super Mario Brothers 2 (Doki Doki Panic)

Zelda: Twlight Princess (this is more from my area. People in Arizona around me when it came out regarded it as a complete Ocarina clone with no uniqueness)

I'd say Radiata Stories and Ogre Battle 64 just from the fact no one talked about them but that's not true haha

How old were you when you played this game? The game always shows you what to do, from the very beginning. When you first get to Isle Delfino, you're shown the piranha blob thing that you have to defeat. Then you chase Shadow Mario into the statue. Then at the appropriate amount of Shine Sprites every newly unlocked level is panned over and zoomed out every time you arrive back at Isle Delfino until it has something new to show you. Every level similarly shows you your objective. I've heard complaints about the game, but this is definitely not one of them.

I can't say EXACTLY how old I was, but I know I was an ADULT, thank you. I haven't had the game for very long. So I'd appreciate it if you didn't imply that I'm stupid. I couldn't figure out anything in the game, that's that.

Zelda: Skyward Sword is my favorite game outside of FE. And I thought it was popular. o.O

Edited by Anacybele

I can't say EXACTLY how old I was, but I know I was an ADULT, thank you. I haven't had the game for very long. So I'd appreciate it if you didn't imply that I'm stupid. I couldn't figure out anything in the game, that's that.

Whoa, there, calm down. I didn't mean to imply that you're stupid, it's just that the hints you complained about not being there are definitely there and are very clear, so I figured perhaps you were a lot younger when you played it. But maybe you're thinking of a different game or not remembering properly or just made an honest mistake. Or something.

Duke Nukem Forever was ok. Not awful but not exactly great.

A friend lent me Star Fox Adventures for a while. Not a bad game, just not really Star Fox.

And there's Blood Omen 2 which was linear as shit and had bad fighting AI, but wasn't all that bad otherwise for a completely multiplatform game back in 2002.

Quest 64, yo.

I'm honestly curious as to what your reasoning is. Mind, I've never played the game, so I don't really have any biases towards or against it. But yeah, I've basically heard it was the worst.

Or are you just trolling, you know that would make more sense actually.

I actually like Quest 64 a lot too, the battle system was actually pretty cool (despite some aspects being really broken). Honestly though it was the first RPG I ever played so I have a soft spot for it.

I love Other M, Final Fantasy 13, and Tales of Legendia

All three are great games and they don't deserve the hate they get!

Sonic R is good too

And Shadow Dragon

Other M is an OK action game

It's an horrible Metroid game however

After reading a couple of people's ranking of FE games, I feel like putting FE13 in the list of games I like but other hate xp

Other M's combat is pretty fun, although it could benefit if you had a nunchuk (the thing that was packaged with the system, remember), if turning the remote for missile shooting wasn't so awkward to do, and if dodging TOWARDS an explosive projectile didn't nullify damage. If these aspects were fixed, I would have loved Other M as an action game, if it weren't for the awful writing attached. I don't mean to offend anyone who thinks the writing is okay, but you have to admit it isn't good.

A problem I have with Metroid's story in general is that it's not really changing. The fucking Federation is just being a sneaky bitch in 90% of the games.

Other M's story was okay, but I think it's a step in the right direction for some good change in Metroid's story.

What?.. There's like only 2 games with the Federation being a corrupted menace : Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Other M

[spoiler=Summaries of Metroid game's plot]

Metroid/Zero Mission: Samus goes to Zebes to kick out the pirates

Metroid Prime: Samus goes to Tallon IV to investigate a distress signal. GFS is barely mentioned

Metroid Prime 2: The federation were wiped out after they landed on Aether chasing some space pirates

Metroid Prime 3: You work hand in hand with the Federation

Metroid Prime: Hunters: The federation are not really mentioned, except about Sylux backstory(which could count as them being sneaky, but not on the level of Fusion or Other M)

Metroid 2: Samus goes to SR388 to wipe out the Metroids

Super Metroid: You hand out the Baby Metroid to the Federation, but they're not important to the plot past the opening sequence

Other M: His a complete, but worst rehash of Fusion story: The Federation has a lab where they create bio-weapons out of dangerous creatures

Metroid Fusion: Here, the Federation reveals a darker side, with them using the B.S.L. as a way to preserve dangerous creatures and clone Metroids

Other M story is pretty much the same plot as the one in Fusion(federation is evil). I found the plot of the three prime games to be way more interesting and varied than Other M's plot.

I could go on longer as to why the story and gameplay of Other M are not the best direction to take for the Metroid series, but this is not a Metroid topic.

Edited by LuxSpes

about other m I think the best part about the story is it didn't reveal the traitor and you had to figure it out yourself

well it was a highlight for me anyway

lot of mario sunshine in there which is surprising. I think a lot of people were looking forward to it being a successor to mario 64 and that's where the hate comes into it. The thing is though while the game does take quite a few elements from super mario 64 it is not super mario 64 and shoudn't be judged as such. The game stands very well on it's own two feet.

I really liked Final fantasy IV: the after years, but I heard plenty of complaints about the tittle. The story was a little mediocre, but I thought it was interesting to see the interactions between the ages characters. It also features the biggest cast of playable characters in the entire series and it has a rather fun boss rush at the end.

Well, it has issues, but it makes a lot of thing well. Seeing how the older characters have grown wassure good. Yang and Ursula's relationship was pretty well done. And it made me love Edward.

Not perfect, but still a pretty fun game.

I also prefer FFX- to FFX. It's partly due to the fact I'm playing with the english VA I think. The game's general look (mainly the flashy outfits (Dona and Barthelo, anyone ?)), and the cheesy Voice Acting works far better with a lighter tone. (And how the hell are you supposed to take Tidus seriously ?)

Don't take me wrong, FFX is a pretty great game, and have a fantastic story and characters, while FFX-2 is just a giant toybox. It's just that ithis giant Toy Box looks pretty great.

I find the golden sun series to be quite fun. Sure, they have their weaknesses (far too much dialog and almost no difficulty being the biggest.) But slow, easy games are nice when you want to unwind, and i liked the fact that you could use magic to solve non-battle puzzles.

I find the golden sun series to be quite fun. Sure, they have their weaknesses (far too much dialog and almost no difficulty being the biggest.) But slow, easy games are nice when you want to unwind, and i liked the fact that you could use magic to solve non-battle puzzles.

Except Dark Dawn, I was under the impression most people like Golden Sun 1 & 2, if only because of nostalgia.

Even Dark Dawn, for all its issues isn't that bad actually. The way story of 1 and 2 was rewritten, was an interresting aspect, I found.

Shadow Dragon: Mediocre, but still more enjoyable then a lot of the other titles.

Tales of Legendia: One of my personal favorites. Flawed? Yes. Worst in the series? Not by a LONG shot. Phantasia GBA says hi...

Shadow the hedgehog: How is this worse than 06, exactly?

I thought anyone agreed Tales of the Tempest was the worst.

I never heard of Legendia, but I doubt it can beat Tempest.

Castlevania 64 and by extension Legacy of Darkness would probably be the best example. Those games are definitely my favorite games in the series and I so regret that I didn't get to play them until relatively recently.

Though, given that the dislikes of this game most of the time express themselves by people spouting out "skeletons on motorcycles" or "Frankensteins with chainsaws" without giving any more context, chances are that a lot of people are basing their opinion merely on the review of the AVGN, which was one of his more irate reviews, to say the leas.

Above all else, the game has a beautiful atmosphere with a haunting soundtrack and wonderful dark graphics. (by N64 standards). This game really knows how to make the castle come across as huge, dark and threatening while later Castlevania games seem to prefer for the most part for merely grossing people out with all of their blood, gore and nudity instead of having any genuine horror.

Like, the above mentioned Frankenstein is a good example of that. Frankenstein with chainsaw? Sounds silly.

But running through a hedge maze while hearing the sound of a chainsaw starting and heavy metallic steps that start slow but get faster and faster with every step, coming closer and closer with increased speed? That's genuine scary.

You can't defeat the Frankenstein, you can only briefly delay him. And you can't outrun him because he keeps accelerating until he catches up with you (and that noise of his steps...(*shudder*). And he is accompanied by two equally immortal dogs that can stun you just long enough to prevent you from dodging his extremely painful attack.

That sequence there is probably the scariest part of the entire series.

I particular like that the game has actual vampires as regular enemies. If I recall, it's the only game in the series which actually does this. And they do a good job acting like proper vampires. They can turn into bats, bite you and drain your blood to restore their health, make high jumps and can even walk on ceilings. Oh, and they can inflict you with vampirism too.

Initially i was extremely skeptic of the Player character Carry. Since she is a little kid, I figured that she would be a goofy moeblob like the Rondo version of Maria, who existed only to destroy the game's atmosphere. Or that she might even get creepily objectified like Charlotte and the Judgment version of Maria. Fortunately neither is the case and Carry turned out to be a genuine badass who is usually more creepy then the monsters in the castle. She actually ended up as my favorite character in the franchise.

The game is for the most part an actual linear 3D platformer. A rarity of the N64 as even games like Super Mario changed their gameplay to be around exploration. And platforming is a lot of fun in this game. I especially like that when in the air, the character will grab onto any ledge even when their back is turned towards it, as long as the jump button is held. It doesn't make a lot of sense but it nevertheless makes the platforming feel a lot more natural and allows for some really cool jumps.

I'm not sure what the deal with the complaints about movement controls and camera in this games are. Compared to other 3D platformers of the time, it's fine. Like, Lara Croft controlled like a car back then. She could run fast and jump high but something simple as turning was extremely difficult. And don't even get me started on her lock-on.

I would call the movement controls downright good and the camera is only inferior to the masterpieces that are Mario 64 and OoT who revolutionized how these mechanics and 3D games were used. There is no shame in not being as good as the very best.

Edited by BrightBow