I just finished watching the Fire emblem OVA (all two episodes of it), and I can see why it was canceled. There were one or two nice.things (the warp staff in the opening scene has the correct animation, and the ink comes off of the page of a magic book to become the spell, which explains why magic tomes have finite uses.) However, the animation quality was not very good (sheeda's hair changes color from light blue to black and back on a whim), and the additions to the plot were all generic, although honestly, FE1/3 book 1/11's plot is slightly generic to begin with. What did you all think about the OVA?

Edit: Also, Bord and Cord still have no lines.

Edited by sirmola

I just finished watching the Fire emblem OVA (all two episodes of it), and I can see why it was canceled. There were one or two nice.things (the warp staff in the opening scene has the correct animation, and the ink comes off of the page of a magic book to become the spell, which explains why magic tomes have finite uses.) However, the animation quality was not very good (sheeda's hair changes color from light blue to black and back on a whim), and the additions to the plot were all generic, although honestly, FE1/3 book 1/11's plot is slightly generic to begin with. What did you all think about the OVA?

I thought it was a misfire. I think my favorite part was the banter between Cain and Abel, and I guess seeing the world visualized was nice, but eh. Not terrible but not essential viewing. When you shear away the gameplay that makes FE unique, you'd better hope there's something left behind that's really compelling and this OVA didn't pull it off.

Haven't watched it yet, but plan on it. Maybe when I'm bored in the middle of Summer. It'd definitely be nice to see the characters interact with each other, but I've heard Shiida, one of the best characters in the game, is extremely annoying in the OVA. Hopefully they don't throw around many animu stereotypes.

Hopefully they don't throw around many animu stereotypes.

Is the "obsessive love interest who the hero is not aware is a love interest because of how oblivious he is" a stereotype? (hint: yes it is)

Also, did she really have to get kidnapped during the fight near the end of the first episode? really?

Is the "obsessive love interest who the hero is not aware is a love interest because of how oblivious he is" a stereotype? (hint: yes it is)

Also, did she really have to get kidnapped during the fight near the end of the first episode? really?

OK, thanks. They did do that with Catria and Cordelia in the games, though, but that doesn't forgive it. Anything else? Edited by HeavyBrawlsGuy

Anything else?

Lots of things. Gordon is the "young, inexperienced, and unsure of himself fighter", Mars is the "young reckless prince who constantly overrules his advisers, Navere is the "mercenary with a tragic past who feels obligated to save women", Ect.

And no i did not typo marth's name in the above sentence. This was the first ever fire emblem material released in the west(before even SSB), so the localizers had to guess a lot(although "mars" is really the only time that they significantly diverge from a literal romanization and thus the pre-shadow dragon fan names). Also, the dub is bad, but you already guessed that.

That being said, it's only like an hour long, and isn't actually bad, so it's probably worth watching.

Edited by sirmola

Lots of things. Gordon is the "young, inexperienced, and unsure of himself fighter", Mars is the "young reckless prince who constantly overrules his advisers, Navere is the "mercenary with a tragic past who feels obligated to save women", Ect.

And no i did not typo marth's name in the above sentence. This was the first ever fire emblem material released in the west(before even SSB), so the localizers had to guess a lot(although "mars" is really the only time that they significantly diverge from a literal romanization and thus the pre-shadow dragon fan names). Also, the dub is bad, but you already guessed that.

That being said, it's only like an hour long, and isn't actually bad, so it's probably worth watching.

I survived Awakening, so yeah. Shouldn't be too much.

I survived Awakening, so yeah. Shouldn't be too much.

Try to play or read an LP of the first few chapters of one of the relevant games first for comparison, if you haven't already. The first few pages of this would probably be quickest:

http://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Dark-Dragon-and-the-Sword-of-Light/

Mystery of the emblem book 1 would be preferable as that was the actual source material, But this is the only decent quality LP of any of Marth's story that i know of that isn't behind something awful's paywall.

Edited by sirmola

I don't care what anybody says I LOVE those two episodes. It fleshes out the characters better than the game did. And it was 97 so its not like how anime is today. Like... its great. There's a certain charm to it that just captured me the moment I saw it. And I only found out about it in 07 so I feel like its aged well and was good for the time. I just wish it went on for longer... but two episodes are better than none. :)

'Fleshes out the characters'

Caeda is a generic tsundere instead of awesome.

On the plus side, IIRC the OVA did touch on how housing Marth put Talys in a precarious state. On the downside, the silver-tongued recruiter who is essential to Marth's army wasn't much in evidence in the OVA. The amount of bad press Caeda got from that anime alone is staggering.

Don't get me wrong though. I like the 2 episodes. The second one in particular is great aside from the bizarre section where Navarre saves Julian and Lena and we cut to a beat up Julian meeting Marth while Lena has been recaptured.

Also, love the way Cornelius refers to his soldiers as 'man' in a stereotypical radical surfer dude voice.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

Try to play or read an LP of the first few chapters of one of the relevant games first for comparison, if you haven't already. The first few pages of this would probably be quickest:

http://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Dark-Dragon-and-the-Sword-of-Light/

Mystery of the emblem book 1 would be preferable as that was the actual source material, But this is the only decent quality LP of any of Marth's story that i know of that isn't behind something awful's paywall.

I'm currently playing through FE3. Probably gonna start again tomorrow along with starting Genghis Khan II.

Edited by HeavyBrawlsGuy

I'm currently playing through FE3. Probably gonna start again tomorrow along with starting Genghis Khan II.

The ova only goes up to chapter 3 of book 1, although some flashbacks reference characters who appear latter.

When I think of the OVA I see the potential it had. They really didn't have a while lot to work with in the first three chapters of the original game. It is quite literally go fight some and I think they managed to adapt that really well. I imagine when the plot starts introducing actual characters like Minerva and Camus they could have pulled off something really well. It was also cool to see that Marth's father wasn't some generic hero who died in battle. He was kind of a dick who abused Marth for not being man enough. That was completely unnecessary to do or even show the backstory at all but I think it really added to Marth's character.

Plus the speed at which the narrator manages to get out all the exposition in the opening has to be praised. He just rockets right through that plot in a way that still works.

Edited by Jotari