So, what characters are recommended for a first HHM run?

Quirino

Seriously? You think it's a headache to use units other than Marcus pre-ch16 in HHM? Try Hector, Oswin, Lowen, Matthew, Guy, or hell, Dorcas even. Anybody should be able to use these units without pulling their hair out.

I've S-ranked HHM using Nino and Bartre

This is a thread for recommendations to a NEW player who is NOT experienced in this game

Not wasting time to use Lowen/Guy/Dorcas for anything other than occasional chip makes the earlygame significantly easier

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've S-ranked HHM using Nino and Bartre

This is a thread for recommendations to a NEW player who is NOT experienced in this game

Not wasting time to use Lowen/Guy/Dorcas for anything other than occasional chip makes the earlygame significantly easier

Cool, they're not that difficult to use. You can divert resources to anyone with halfway decent growths at nearly any time and have them come out strong.

TC obviously has SOME experience if he's completed HNM several times. Also, sure, Marcus is necessary for S-ranking, that's definitely not arguable. TC is obviously not S-ranking.

Cool, they're not that difficult to use. You can divert resources to anyone with halfway decent growths at nearly any time and have them come out strong.

TC obviously has SOME experience if he's completed HNM several times. Also, sure, Marcus is necessary for S-ranking, that's definitely not arguable. TC is obviously not S-ranking.

They're more difficult to use than not using them and they do not have a positive overall impact on your game when you get enough units with comparable or better combat stats who take less resource expenditure

Yes. Marcus is a luxury. Everything I just said holds true.

lol i don't think you know what "luxury" means. if you are using it in the strict form that a luxury is anything that is not a necessity, then you are merely stating a tautology - marcus is also a unit. the only character in this game that is not a luxury, in the general sense, is hector. in the more specific sense (i.e., if one's goal is to make the game easy), then marcus is definitely not a luxury because he makes the game easy to the greatest degree.

Seriously? You think it's a headache to use units other than Marcus pre-ch16 in HHM? Try Hector, Oswin, Lowen, Matthew, Guy, or hell, Dorcas even. Anybody should be able to use these units without pulling their hair out.

matthew and dorcas blow. oswin is useless on large maps if you're also using marcus and guy kind of blows as well.

you have missed the point again, which XeKr reiterated in his previous post: if the goal is to recommend units to someone, it is not useful at all to imply that every unit, or even most units, are equally useful. we (i.e., not you) have completed our task in suggesting some of the unequivocally strongest units that FE7 has to offer. you have, in contrast, done everything to confound our efforts with flimsy rhetoric.

lol i don't think you know what "luxury" means. if you are using it in the strict form that a luxury is anything that is not a necessity, then you are merely stating a tautology - marcus is also a unit. the only character in this game that is not a luxury, in the general sense, is hector. in the more specific sense (i.e., if one's goal is to make the game easy), then marcus is definitely not a luxury because he makes the game easy to the greatest degree.

matthew and dorcas blow. oswin is useless on large maps if you're also using marcus and guy kind of blows as well.

you have missed the point again, which XeKr reiterated in his previous post: if the goal is to recommend units to someone, it is not useful at all to imply that every unit, or even most units, are equally useful. we (i.e., not you) have completed our task in suggesting some of the unequivocally strongest units that FE7 has to offer. you have, in contrast, done everything to confound our efforts with flimsy rhetoric.

Matthew gets exp bonus and stealing exp. Dorcas' bases are alright. Guy gets hard mode bonuses. They're not difficult to use, i.e. the entire point of what I was saying.

Hahaha "flimsy rhetoric"? That's literally just words. I'm not confounding anyone's efforts. You're misconstruing what I'm trying to say; if you carefully read what I've posted you'll notice that I've never once said "Marcus/Harken/Pent/whoever sucks" or "All of these shit units will make your life easier" or anything similar. I'm merely pointing out a few positives of some units which I'm hoping is helpful to TC. Being melodramatic about that is actually what's detracting from the topic's goal.

You make a good point about Marcus - however, TC has directly stated that he wants a diverse team which will be able to survive the game. He never even implied that he wants to make the game as easy as possible. He just wants to finish, i.e. complete the final chapter. This Marcus fetish is kind of ridiculous.

You are jumping down my throat because I said some positive things about Eliwood, and are now twisting what I've said earlier to suit your arguments. I never once discredited Marcus's usefulness, or anybody else for that matter. I'm also not claiming my opinion is fact, which I guess is difficult for you to understand. Also, simply filling your posts with sophisticated vocabulary doesn't suddenly add some kind of coherence to your argument.

If you're going to make some kind of claim like I'm intentionally sabotaging this topic, then I would actually try to figure out what I'm saying first.

It's funny how we can have one page of simple and straightforward answers on the subject and then spend five subsequent pages arguing (debatably unnecessary) specifics.

I think the OP has a decent idea by now of how his options stand... ~___~

Matthew gets exp bonus and stealing exp. Dorcas' bases are alright. Guy gets hard mode bonuses. They're not difficult to use, i.e. the entire point of what I was saying.

literally no one in this game is "difficult" to use. that's another tautology, so ease of use in this context is only meaningful if units are compared relative to each other. matthew having an EXP bonus doesn't make him good because his stats are terrible regardless of how much EXP he gets. dorcas is terrible in the long term because he's one of 3 units in this game that has trouble doubling enemies. guy's HM bonuses are barely enough to keep him relevant. none of these guys are good, and they are more difficult to use than marcus or hector.

Hahaha "flimsy rhetoric"? That's literally just words. I'm not confounding anyone's efforts. You're misconstruing what I'm trying to say; if you carefully read what I've posted you'll notice that I've never once said "Marcus/Harken/Pent/whoever sucks" or "All of these shit units will make your life easier" or anything similar. I'm merely pointing out a few positives of some units which I'm hoping is helpful to TC. Being melodramatic about that is actually what's detracting from the topic's goal.

i think we have long since accomplished the objective of recommending characters for a first HHM run, with all of the necessary caveats. we finished doing that by page 3. now we are in merely in the business of correcting bad advice.

You make a good point about Marcus - however, TC has directly stated that he wants a diverse team which will be able to survive the game. He never even implied that he wants to make the game as easy as possible. He just wants to finish, i.e. complete the final chapter. This Marcus fetish is kind of ridiculous.
rec·om·mend [rek-uh-mend] Show IPA

verb (used with object)

1. to present as worthy of confidence, acceptance, use, etc.; commend; mention favorably: to recommend an applicant for a job; to recommend a book.
2. to represent or urge as advisable or expedient: to recommend caution. (emphasis mine)
You are jumping down my throat because I said some positive things about Eliwood, and are now twisting what I've said earlier to suit your arguments. I never once discredited Marcus's usefulness, or anybody else for that matter. I'm also not claiming my opinion is fact, which I guess is difficult for you to understand. Also, simply filling your posts with sophisticated vocabulary doesn't suddenly add some kind of coherence to your argument.

If you're going to make some kind of claim like I'm intentionally sabotaging this topic, then I would actually try to figure out what I'm saying first.

this sounds like you're playing the victim card. the thing about opinions is that being entitled to them doesn't exempt them from scrutiny. if you have a bad opinion, then we're at liberty to call you out on it.

this is how i normally speak in real life. there is nothing wrong with trying to appear erudite.

Edited by dondon151

Bitching about how bad you think some advice is really isn't helping anybody. Not really directed to you so much as some others. I do respect what you have to say, because you at least seem somewhat intelligent.

We have contrasting views on certain specifics of the game; I'm just going to leave it at that, as further discussion and argument is really unnecessary.

Bitching about how bad you think some advice is really isn't helping anybody. Not really directed to you so much as some others. I do respect what you have to say, because you at least seem somewhat intelligent.

We have contrasting views on certain specifics of the game; I'm just going to leave it at that, as further discussion and argument is really unnecessary.

If you're giving someone bad advice expect to get called out on that bad advice

It is not simply "contrasting views". You are advocating the use of characters who make the game more difficult by their use than otherwise, in a thread that is specifically meant for the recommendation of units who will make the game EASIER for a first time HHM player

If you're giving someone bad advice expect to get called out on that bad advice

It is not simply "contrasting views". You are advocating the use of characters who make the game more difficult by their use than otherwise, in a thread that is specifically meant for the recommendation of units who will make the game EASIER for a first time HHM player

Dude, read what I JUST posted.

Either way, you didn't understand what I was saying back there. Stop acting like you do. Also, quit prolonging a dead argument.

TC, use Wil, Rebecca, Rath, Louise, and bow-locked!Geitz in addition to Hector and Marcus.

And use Lyn, too, but when she promotes, have her use bows only. Reinfleche FTW. :t

Edited by ZeeEmm

TC obviously has SOME experience if he's completed HNM several times. Also, sure, Marcus is necessary for S-ranking, that's definitely not arguable.

I only used Marcus enough to get him 78 experience in my last S-rank HHM run. Sure, that's more than nothing, but not much more.

I think you should just go for it. The advice given here is good. Honestly the game is not too hard and you can always find ways to get around problems that may arise. I don't think you should be looking to trivialise the game, because then you aren't testing yourself or getting better at the game, you are just copying easy to play strategies. Play as if you were playing any other mode except use less units. Using too many units is the easiest way to get stuck in the game (or by only using archers and clerics or getting royally rng screwed). If you do want to trivialise the game than just listen to the experts. Don't be afraid to fail or restart though, it's just a game.

Edited by Rah

If anything, this thread has TOO much advice. The stuff on the first and second page should be sufficient to be completely honest.