NFL 2014-2015 Season: Super Bowl Champion Patriots

Anacybele

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Emperor Dijon, I have a question here.

What is with the Titans being mediocre all of a sudden? What caused Jeff Fischer to have nothing but losing seasons since 2009? Why were they no longer dominant after 2008?

It's kind of strange because the Titans were one of those big powerhouse AFC teams when I was growing up, a la the Ravens/Patriots/Colts/Steelers of the past decade, yet they haven't really been relevant since 2008.

O-lines are so random from year to year. Last year detroit had the best o-line in the league, and this year stafford has less sacks than only cam newton and ... some9ne else i can't remember who. And we had the exact same starting five at the beginning of the year smh

New England's O-line is probably the best example of randomness. Through 4 games they were giving up insane amounts of pressure (culminating in a certain MNF game in KC...) O-linemen would rotate on a play-by-play basis, even both of the tackles. Finally, after inserting rookie Bryan Stork at C and using last year's C Ryan Wendell (who was absolutely awful for all of last season) at RG, they stuck with that combination and haven't lost a game since.

It's actually an insane difference. Instead of seeing jittery Old Man Brady who couldn't lead a TD drive in KC, we're seeing vintage Tom moving well in the pocket and nailing intermediate throws like he has his entire career.

In terms of running the ball, the Pats brought in an extra o-linemen to block with Gronk and the blocking TE Hooman against Indy. What happened in that game? Practice Squad-er Jonas Gray had a career day. I expect a decent amount of these jumbo packages tomorrow in order to chew up clock (keeping the ball out of A-Rod's hands) and also to take advantage of GB's poor run defense

Oh last year we had:

RT: Michael Oher

RG: Marshal Yanda

C: Gino Gradkowski

LG: AQ Shipley

LT: Bryant McKinnie/Eugene Monroe

Oher, Shipley and Gino were bottom 5 at their position (Gino was worse than backups). Shipley was actually a center playing guard. However, we averaged 3.1 ypc rushing, and like 3.0 from our running backs, and Flacco was sacked 48 times and hit infinitely more (which is bad because our receivers could not get open and Caldwell ran a deep passing offense).

his year:

RT: Rick Wagner

C: Jeremy Zuttah

LG: Kelechi Osemele

LT: Eugene Monroe

We had James Hurst for a bit but he was getting abused against the Colts and the Bengals (played well against the Panthers). Wagner/Yanda are actually Top 3 at their position, Zuttah's Top 10, and Osemele is Top 3 when healthy. Eugene's been strugglin lately but he's nursing an injury (was out 6 weeks earlier). Monroe was a trade midseason last year, Zuttah was an offseason trade cause Gradkowski sucks ass, Wagner was a 5th rounder last year that struggled in last year's season opener and is a ridiculously good RT. Yanda is Yanda as always. Osemele was one of the catalysts of our playoff run in 2012 went the way it did, but he was on IR in 2013 and he's been very good this year aside from the game or two he missed.

Also, our 2012 OL was very different, because we played Yanda/Oher/Reid/etc all over the place. However, after the Broncos game (wehre some of these dudes were injured) McKinnie and Yanda were finally healthy and we had this:

RT: Michael Oher

C: Matt Birk

LG: Kelechi Osemele

LT: Bryant McKinnie

And our OL that playoff run was phenomenal. Stymied the Denver and San Francisco pass rush considerably.

Hey Emperor Dijon, I have a question here.

What is with the Titans being mediocre all of a sudden? What caused Jeff Fischer to have nothing but losing seasons since 2009? Why were they no longer dominant after 2008?

It's kind of strange because the Titans were one of those big powerhouse AFC teams when I was growing up, a la the Ravens/Patriots/Colts/Steelers of the past decade, yet they haven't really been relevant since 2008.

Yeah, 2008 (and most of the 00s) was pretty special. Albert Haynesworth was the runaway favorite for DPOY when the Titans were 9-0, but then he had nagging injuries and the Titans went 4-4 the rest of the way. Washington threw all the money at him in free agency, something like $120 million.

Since then, the Titans' biggest problem has been team-building. They've spent 6 out of their last 7 first-round picks on offensive players, and they haven't really hit the jackpot on a late-round defender since McCourtey in '09, so the talent on defense just isn't what it was during Fisher's best years. Their defense went from pretty good in '10 to average in '11 to bad for the last 3 seasons. The heavy investment in offensive players hasn't had a chance to pay off because their quarterbacks have been What Was Left Of Kerry Collins, Vince Young, and Jake Locker, none of whom were good. The Titans also committed a lot of their salary cap to the running game ($50+ million for Chris Johnson and ~$46 million for a guard), which wasn't the most optimal way to spend their money. Oh yeah, and Mike Munchak was the head coach for 3 years. That was... interesting.

As for being relevant again, it really all comes down to the QB they get in next year's draft and how well Whisenhunt develops him. The skill position and offensive line talent they have is better than what most rookie QBs walk into. An average defense feels about 2 seasons away for them, but defense tends to regress to the mean more than offense does, so who knows.

Edited by Dijon

Steelers play in twenty minutes! I'm actually on my way home from Thanksgiving vacation atm, but I can watch the game on my phone, I think.

GO STEELERS! Bring the team that crushed the Colts and Ravens!

Saints go three and out, hell yeah. :D

But we need some TDs here! Go Killer B's! Unfortunately, I can't even listen to the game because I just can't figure this crap out... >_<

The fuck's been up with Torrey lately? He doesn't look anywhere near as beat as he used to.

I'm assuming it has something to do with the constant 8 yard cushion he's allowed by the CB covering him. If you don't disrupt the timing of short routes you'll get destroyed, especially against a QB with an arm as strong as Flacco's

Of course, Torrey has to run his route properly too; he wasn't even doing that before these past few games (and this is regardless of any press at the line). Lots of jogging.

He also caught one against the Titans where he was pressed at the line which was also kind of strange for him.

wow WTF happened to our defense, that DPI should've been ofsetting fouls too but WTF giving up 2 TDs in crunch time?

Still #2 in division but a 1 point loss HURTS

Edited by Lord Raven

WOO 34-33 Chargers.

That Pass Interference was bs. I hope the Ref gets fined.

But at least our Wild Card chances rose.

Edited by Vermilia Scarlet

Of course, Torrey has to run his route properly too; he wasn't even doing that before these past few games (and this is regardless of any press at the line). Lots of jogging.

He also caught one against the Titans where he was pressed at the line which was also kind of strange for him.

wow WTF happened to our defense, that DPI should've been ofsetting fouls too but WTF giving up 2 TDs in crunch time?

Still #2 in division but a 1 point loss HURTS

At least your team played well. There's no excuse for the bullshit the Steelers did today. The defense actually did its job for the most part, surprisingly. Ben was just horribly inaccurate and throwing interceptions for some reason. I swear almost every other offensive play was an incomplete pass to someone. I didn't WATCH the game, of course, but I got plenty of updates. The Steelers were at HOME where they were dominating previously. There's just NO excuse for today.

But at least I got a Ravens and Browns loss to compensate. But now sweeping the Bengals is crucial because they won today. Still, that loss to the Bucs isn't so embarrassing now... Cincy almost lost to them too. :P

At least your team played well. There's no excuse for the bullshit the Steelers did today. The defense actually did its job for the most part, surprisingly. Ben was just horribly inaccurate and throwing interceptions for some reason. I swear almost every other offensive play was an incomplete pass to someone. I didn't WATCH the game, of course, but I got plenty of updates. The Steelers were at HOME where they were dominating previously. There's just NO excuse for today.

But at least I got a Ravens and Browns loss to compensate. But now sweeping the Bengals is crucial because they won today. Still, that loss to the Bucs isn't so embarrassing now... Cincy almost lost to them too. :P

Does the Bucs loss eliminate them from the playoffs due to Saints win? Or do they own some sort of tie breaker? Edited by Vermilia Scarlet

5 tds to brees = "defense did its job"?

EDIT:

Playoff elimination scenarios AS OF THIS POSTING

Eliminated (bolded means eliminated this week):

New York Giants

New York Jets

Washington Redskins

Tennessee Titans

Oakland Raiders

Eliminated from Title Contention (bolded means eliminated this week):

Minnesota Vikings

Chicago Bears

NFC East:

DAL, PHI cannot be eliminated from NFC East title contention.

NFC North:

DET, GB cannot be eliminated from NFC North title contention.

NFC South:

NO, ATL, TB, and CAR cannot be eliminated from NFC South title contention.

NFC West:

ARI, SEA, STL, SF cannot be eliminated from NFC West title contention this week.

AFC teams still in the division title/playoff race:

New England Patriots

Miami Dolphins

Buffalo Bills

Cincinnati Bengals

Baltimore Ravens

Pittsburgh Steelers

Cleveland Browns

Indianapolis Colts

Houston Texans

Denver Broncos

Kansas City Chiefs

San Diego Chargers

Edited by Lord Raven

5 tds to brees = "defense did its job"?

But at least I got a Ravens and Browns loss to compensate.

Not to mention that some of those TDs came off of interceptions. If Ben just did his fucking job, a lot of those points wouldn't exist. He let drives disappear quickly, forcing the D to get on the field a lot and get tired.

I get that everyone has a bad game once in awhile, but this was still just awful. The close score at the end is misleading terribly.

so can we appreciate how truly awesome i am now. i mean not only did i predict the niners would lose due to dysfunctional offense, but i also started drew brees, tre mason, and the jags in my fantasy league. ie 30 pts, 34 pts, 22 pts.

also of note this weekend ryan fucking fitzpatrick scored 6 tds i mean wtf. also in the same game, i believe JJ Watt set the most TD's by a defensive lineman in a single season with his td reception.

also im apparently playing lafell. so thats gonna be awesome.

also how awesome was my bait and switch. admit it that was pretty good.

Edited by Randa

Yeah, JJ Watt is insane... I wish we had guys like him on our defense. But again, our players keep getting hurt. Ike Taylor and Troy Polamalu returned, but Brett Kiesel is out now. Kiesel is an older dude, sure, but this really hurts our defense. We need the Steel Curtain days back. Load up on defensive players next year in the draft, PLEASE! *puppy dog eyes*

Also, turns out Ben hurt his hand during the game and it was bad enough to force him to go lefty. That explains why he was off his game. The poor guy. I REALLY need to start thinking before talking... But I hope his hand feels back to 100% for the game against the Bengals. We need wins over them really bad.

Edited by Anacybele

so can we appreciate how truly awesome i am now. i mean not only did i predict the niners would lose due to dysfunctional offense, but i also started drew brees, tre mason, and the jags in my fantasy league. ie 30 pts, 34 pts, 22 pts.

also of note this weekend ryan fucking fitzpatrick scored 6 tds i mean wtf. also in the same game, i believe JJ Watt set the most TD's by a defensive lineman in a single season with his td reception.

also im apparently playing lafell. so thats gonna be awesome.

also how awesome was my bait and switch. admit it that was pretty good.

dude in my league has 160.7 points and is starting aaron rodgers

if he started hopkins over josh gordon he'd have ~190 points right now and could realistically have broken 200

it's pride but i was one of this dude's two losses on the season

meanwhile I am fighting for 5th place cause I'm 6-6 and was just barely eliminated from playoffs

Edited by Lord Raven

Oh, that's pretty cool, Lord Raven. :o (I mean being one of only two losses for someone)

Well, whatever the problem is with my Steelers, I still always love these guys. And I'm sure things will go better sooner or later, whether they get some new coaches or Tomlin and Haley improve their record. Besides, black and gold is an awesome color combination and we still have guys like Antonio Brown, Le'Veon Bell, Ben, etc. on this team. I can't ever hate them. Especially AB. :D

And we have our annual thread showing Anacybele knowing nothing about football aside from Pittsburgh. God, you singlehandedly make me hate the Steelers.

Anyway, Buffalo is still in the hunt at 7-5. Not realistically but theoretically.

okay that seems a bit rude. i can understand not liking someone but really whats the point of being rude about.

Because it's unbearable. Do you understand that I know more about the Steelers than I do about the Bills? I'm a diehard Buffalo fan but every other post is about the freaking Steelers in this (and the last two seasons) thread and it comes from one person.

On another note, Oakland is CRAP. 52-0 to the Rams? Really?