NFL 2014-2015 Season: Super Bowl Champion Patriots

Anacybele

Ben threw for over 300 yards and a TD. He normally did such this season. I didn't say he was putting up the exact same numbers.

Also, you're clearly not aware that I'm terrible at picking up sarcasm, especially over the internet.

Bell's scoring numbers are skewed because he shares those duties with AB and Bryant and to a smaller extent, Wheaton and Miller. Ben probably has more offensive weapons than any QB right now. Bell is also running behind an o-line that isn't amazing. They're good sometimes, but rarely do they actually play excellently. Pouncey and DeCastro are the only names on that o-line that you see mentioned a lot.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I sit here watching football, I find it incredible that the Chiefs (my team) beat the Patriots and the Seahawks (both of the number one seeds), but lost to the Raiders and the Titans (a team that was 0-10 at the time and the team with the worst record in the NFL this year). Oh Chiefs, you gotta love 'em. Unless you are a Chargers fan

I think what happens is that some teams are better at targeting the weaknesses of other teams better than others. Because teams have different strengths and weaknesses, they have some good matchups and some bad ones.

But then things like one team obliterating another and then later getting creamed by the same team later in the same season are nuts and often hard to explain. xP

So, one good thing I was glad to hear besides Ben's apologies is that the Steelers' staff are definitely going to work on the defense and know that it needs more CBs and safeties. Not so much LBs and DEs, but it would help to get one or two since James Harrison will be leaving and this could also be Brett Kiesel's last season. Guys like Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier, Stephon Tuitt, Brice McCain, and Antwon Blake are good starts, but they need to grow some more.

If this defense can get good all around the field, the Steelers can beat anyone! They already have an offense that can kick ass when they're bringing their A game.

Edited by Anacybele

Ben threw for over 300 yards and a TD. He normally did such this season. I didn't say he was putting up the exact same numbers.

Over 300 yards when they were already down and gave up on the run. Also threw two picks, both when he was under duress. Ben did not have a good game.

Bell's scoring numbers are skewed because he shares those duties with AB and Bryant and to a smaller extent, Wheaton and Miller. Ben probably has more offensive weapons than any QB right now. Bell is also running behind an o-line that isn't amazing. They're good sometimes, but rarely do they actually play excellently. Pouncey and DeCastro are the only names on that o-line that you see mentioned a lot.

Tomlinson had to share with Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd, and Antonio Gates - one of those guys was all but guaranteed a hall of fame spot and the other guys are fast and massive running in a deep ball scheme.

Faulk had to share with two wide receivers slated for the hall of fame - Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt.

Bell will probably peak out at being someone like Edgerrin James, which is very good, but not as ridiculous as those two guys. James was great but not a complete world beater like Faulk and Tomlinson.

Charles and Lynch were running behind putrid offensive lines.

Over 300 yards when they were already down and gave up on the run. Also threw two picks, both when he was under duress. Ben did not have a good game.

Alright, if you say so.

Tomlinson had to share with Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd, and Antonio Gates - one of those guys was all but guaranteed a hall of fame spot and the other guys are fast and massive running in a deep ball scheme.

Faulk had to share with two wide receivers slated for the hall of fame - Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt.

Bell will probably peak out at being someone like Edgerrin James, which is very good, but not as ridiculous as those two guys. James was great but not a complete world beater like Faulk and Tomlinson.

Charles and Lynch were running behind putrid offensive lines.

Bell is still sharing with more guys than they did, but alright, fair enough.

Despite the loss though, a couple moments made me laugh. :P

Namely Joe Flacco tripping TWICE and then this right when the Steelers were about to kick a FG:

Harbaugh: *counts his guys on the field and sees 12*

Tomlin: *shakes fist* Fuck. Yes.

Cue new set of downs for the black and gold. lol

Edited by Anacybele

The offense of the Chiefs is alright, especially with the addition of Knile Davis, and our defense is actually really good. What we need to do this year in the draft is take a good WR, preferably 1st or 2nd round. We did not have a SINGLE WR touchdown this year. The last game, Dwayne Bowe caught a pass, got down to the 1-yard line, fumbled it, and it was recovered by Travis Kelce. Never before in NFL history has a team not had a single WR touchdown in a season.

Bell is still sharing with more guys than they did, but alright, fair enough.

Here's one example of a season: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sdg/2006.htm

Turner: 500 rushing yards

Tomlinson: 1815 rushing, 500 receiving

Gates: 900 receiving

Vincent Jackson: 450

Parker: 650

Granted, it's not as big as Brown, but Rivers also didn't have to throw as much because a) it's 2006 and the passing back then wasn't as featured as today and b) they had 2600 rushing yards and 3400 receiving which is a perfectly balanced offense. Wasn't as gaudy as I thought, but it was also Rivers' first year as starter, and Brees had some good receivers to throw to prior to this year and Rivers did spread the ball around a lot afterwards, this was just probably the greatest year by an RB of all time.

Meanwhile, the 1999 Rams who were way ahead of their time: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/1999.htm

Faulk: 1000+ yards receiving, 1400 yards rushing

Holt: 750+ yards receiving

Bruce: 1000+ yards receiving

Hakim: 650+ yards receiving

Proehl: 350 yards receiving

ANOTHER GSOT year: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/2001.htm

Faulk: 750+ receiving, almost 1400 rushing

Bruce and Holt both broke 1100+

Proehl at 550+, Hakim at 350+

Both were like Top 10 all-time scoring offenses and both RBs had a lot of offense to share with other players.

Steelers simply had Brown with massive receiving yards then a couple of rookies and young dudes that weren't nearly as productive as some of these guys, and Bell wasn't nearly as impressive as Tomlinson who caught 3 TDs and rushed for 29.

As I sit here watching football, I find it incredible that the Chiefs (my team) beat the Patriots and the Seahawks (both of the number one seeds), but lost to the Raiders and the Titans (a team that was 0-10 at the time and the team with the worst record in the NFL this year). Oh Chiefs, you gotta love 'em. Unless you are a Chargers fan

Ya fack you for killing our playoff hopes.

It's ok the team has flaws, we probably will get stomped on by the Patriots since our team was plagued with injuries.

I hope Eric Berry heals well. And Flowers has been wonderful in our system.

Since we practically own the Colts like Miami owns us. While Dalton is a choker and the secondary Rivers can easily break apart.

Edited by Vermilia Scarlet

Stafford throws pick.

Murray and the blocking looks like it'll finally stop Detroit's DL.

Romo gets sacked.

Dan "Not Champ" Bailey cundiffs.

lol

Now Lions going down the field. Randombobman and Alucard must be feeling a lot of cautious optimism. I'm gonna text Helios.

Edited by Lord Raven

Whatever happened to Helios? He was a cool dude that just up and vanished. D:

But yeah, these Lions against the Cowboys. o.o But I'm not complaining, I hate the Cowboys. I hate the Ravens, Patriots, and Packers too. And I'm neutral to the Lions, Bengals, and Colts. I like the Broncos. So now, the best scenario for me would be a Broncos vs Panthers Super Bowl. But imo, that has even less of a chance of happening than Steelers vs Panthers did...

But my Steelers still had a great season! They broke and set records and won the AFC North. ^^

Edited by Anacybele

Gotta love having the refs fuck us over picking up that OBVIOUS PI call smh. Like wtf?! Who DOES that?

Let's go over exactly what the linebacker did wrong.

He SHIELDED the receiver from the ball.

It looked like he was about to tackle the receiver.

He did not allow the receiver to make a play at the ball.

EDIT: He held Pettigrew before the whole PI nonsense happened.

More importantly:

He did not play the ball, he played the receiver.

With that DPI they are in field goal range at least and can dink and dunk their way down the field easily if they needed to make the comeback.

And then holding that went called in favor of the Cowboys but then it went uncalled again... in favor of the Cowboys. What the fuck was that shitshow of a final four minutes? Some stupid shit smh

I'm baffled by that fourth down though. I know it's easy to look at in retrospect and NOT punt given the way the punt went but does the coaching staff just not trust their interior for a QB sneak or a quick 1 yard run up the gut? Do they not have confidence in their screen game for the potential to throw a screen to Tate? What about something to Megatron? I know their line sucked ass but surely they can't at least get some push against a Cowboys D that is somewhat overrated?

Whether or not they needed 90 yards or 50 yards that offense looked like it was ready to score, and there's less pressure for a TD due to only a 3 point differential. I guess I am looking at this from a Ravens fan who actually watched Harbaugh - whose coaching structure I do believe Caldwell based his heavily off of ever since he got hired by the Lions - start to go for it in situations like that. But I don't think the Lions have the same caliber guards we've got.

Edited by Lord Raven

The call was horrible but we deserved to lose anyways.

3 second half points? seriously? Against a Dallas defense that on its best day is barely mediocre?

The offense has just been so frustratingly inept at time this season, I know the O-line has been awful, but man, its just so hard to continue having faith in Stafford going forward.

Aw, Lions lost. :(

Looks like Suh may have played his last game with them too. If so, he should join my Steelers! He's a defense guy, and those are exactly what we need.

Do the Steelers have the cap space for him? Suh is going to demand JJ Watt money. I see him ending up in some rebuilding cellar-dwelling team that will give him the max contract rather than settle for less money on a playoff contender.

Just as long as he doesn't go to the Bears. If he somehow ends up in Chicago I will be furious. It would be worse than seeing Max Scherzer sign with the White Sox.

The Steelers have signed veteran free agents, I'm sure they'd be able to sign Suh if so desired. The Steelers acquired Lance Moore from the Saints this season and he's almost 30, I think. They also got Mike Mitchell from the Panthers, though I'm not sure how old he is.

Oh, and they just got Ben Tate who's been around for like five years.

Edited by Anacybele

Just shut up while you're ahead ana, trying to equate lance moore to suh is laughable at best. You do realize suh is easily the second best DT in the nfl right? (I think dareus of the bills is better personally) Moore is maybe the 40th best WR and thats at best smh. You're completely insane if you think Pittsburgh has the money to sign suh rofl

And raven, I'm not sure if you were arguing against my statement or what but i was insinuating that the call to pick up the flag an entire minute after it was thrown was incredibly poor officiating, not to mention shady as hell. Meybe the nfl should check those refs bank accounts and see if they got any large deposits recently

The Steelers don't have that much cap space available(they seem to be 8th to 10th lowest depending on the source), so they'll probably focus on trying to keep what they have rather than make a huge signing like Suh. The Browns, Jaguars, Jets, Titans, Raiders are some of the teams with a lot of cap room to spare- if Suh really preferred a playoff quality team the Bengals and Colts also have quite a bit to work with.

Uh, wow, okay. Geez, you don't have to sound hostile. And yes, I'm aware that Suh is very good. I wouldn't have said that I want my team to sign him otherwise.

EDIT: Ack, sorry, Cynthia, this was directed at Randombobman. The Steelers can't keep what they have though. Harrison is retiring for good, Kiesel is too old now, and Ike Taylor and Polamalu are too old too. They all need to reitre. I hate to say this too, because I was always a big Polamalu fan. The guy was incredible. But he's past his prime as are the other guys I just mentioned, and the Steelers need to find replacements.

Edited by Anacybele

And raven, I'm not sure if you were arguing against my statement or what but i was insinuating that the call to pick up the flag an entire minute after it was thrown was incredibly poor officiating, not to mention shady as hell. Meybe the nfl should check those refs bank accounts and see if they got any large deposits recently

waaah waaah waaah who should shut up while they're ahead?

The Steelers have signed veteran free agents, I'm sure they'd be able to sign Suh if so desired. The Steelers acquired Lance Moore from the Saints this season and he's almost 30, I think. They also got Mike Mitchell from the Panthers, though I'm not sure how old he is.

Oh, and they just got Ben Tate who's been around for like five years.

Ndamukong Suh >>>>>>>>>>> Ben Tate and Lance Moore. Lance Moore was a third or fourth string receiver in New Orleans at best and he fills the same role in Pittsburgh. Mike Mitchell, don't even know who the f that is. Ben Tate was probably paid the vet minimum because he had a shit year (averaging 3.3 ypc).

Ndamukong Suh will easily command JJ Watt money. Lance Moore would sign for 1-2 million/year depending on if the team needs a slot receiver, and Ben Tate was just bad all year so he's definitely not getting above the vet minimum after this year (and he definitely got the vet minimum this year). Steelers screwed themselves on the cap for years trying to keep together the 2010 team and it'll continue to bite them in the ass, and I also doubt they'd go for a big name vet FA and would rather draft a DT.

Also to put things into perspective Suh's current base salary is like twice as high as those three players who you mentioned combined.

The latter is something I doubt, because the NFL really screwed the pooch on officiating in general for the playoffs. You do realize that just about every ref team in the playoffs doesn't tend to work together in the regular season? I don't doubt that there's some sort of trust issue between them, but I don't see how in any way I defended the DPI flag pickup either.

I was, however, criticizing Caldwell's decision making in the second half, because they used Riddick too much in the second half and didn't try to get Bell to grind it out on the ground.

Edited by Lord Raven