NFL 2014-2015 Season: Super Bowl Champion Patriots

Anacybele

The thing about the Patriots' receiving options is that they all complement each other well. Gronk obviously requires a double team or coverage shift of some sort. This opens up holes for the rest of the receivers; Edelman does his damage underneath and in intermediate routes; LaFell can go deep or run quick patterns. Tim Wright could feasibly step up since he'll be single covered most of the game. And finally, Vereen out of the backfield is a legitimate threat as well.

Again, though, none of this matters if Baltimore gets consistent interior pressure. If things start getting out of hand I expect to see an extra eligible O-Lineman in to give Brady more time.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chargers looking at CFL.

We're looking at Delvin Breaux, a 6'1, 196 pound corner who runs a 4.38......

We don't need Shareece Wright anymore, I want to move Verrett to go against the slot now... We don't need Marcus Gilchrist in the nickel anymore playing Corner either.

Then we see O-line men Heenan who knows how to play both RT and RG. 6'4 310 pounds. A bit short for my liking considering King Dunlap is like 6'9. But if he does a better job than Fluker. Next season is already sounding promising. If we draft Arik Amstead and allow Ryan Carrethers. to play the NT. This defense will be extremely well-rounded.

It's great our secondary is getting depth.

Edited by Vermilia Scarlet

The thing about the Patriots' receiving options is that they all complement each other well. Gronk obviously requires a double team or coverage shift of some sort. This opens up holes for the rest of the receivers; Edelman does his damage underneath and in intermediate routes; LaFell can go deep or run quick patterns. Tim Wright could feasibly step up since he'll be single covered most of the game. And finally, Vereen out of the backfield is a legitimate threat as well.

Same sort of applied to Pittsburgh; Brown required a lot of bracketing but our linebackers and some of our corners/safeties are sure tacklers. Martavis Bryant and Markus Wheaton were deep threats and Heath Miller took some linebacker coverage.

LaFell isn't particularly great, but Wright may be an issue. However, Edelman shouldn't be that much of an issue either because we have sure tacklers in the intermediate and our red zone defense is also ridiculous. Vereen out of the backfield is easily taken care of by Daryl Smith or CJ Mosley however, and given that we've never had issues with Bell (not huge ones) Vereen shouldn't be very hard.

Again, Gronk is the main thing that scares me, and yeah he can open up these guys but it's possible we just don't fuck with Gronk too much until the red zone. This game basically banks on our interior DL and our offense not messing up (which is hard to do against that secondary).

Yeah, the Ravens are good at getting pressure and Ben kinda collapses when he gets a fuckton of that. >.> Hopefully he'll be better at coping in that kind of situation next season. I mean, the Steelers have shown that they are capable of beating the Ravens since they did do so once this season, so I know they can do it again.

Big Ben's contract ends after 2015 though, I wonder what will happen then. I really think he should earn a third Super Bowl title. He, AB, and Bell all should get one together, they're so freaking awesome.

Speaking of which, Ben and Bell were nominated for FedEx Air and Ground Players of the Year! Them winning would so make me squee despite the playoff loss. :D

I think Brady has a similar issue with pressure though, as I recall the last time my Steelers played the Patriots, Brady was sacked at least three times by our defense and the very last play of the game ended with Brady fumbling and sealing victory for the Steelers. LaMarr Woodley especially fucked him up because he was the one responsible for three of those sacks. Too bad we don't have him anymore, he was a master at sacking QBs and getting pressure.

Edited by Anacybele

I have to say, Ana, reading your musings about the Steelers is very interesting to me. I know for a fact if the Pats lose next Saturday I won't get even the most minuscule amount of joy from any Patriots winning awards.

Also, the last time the Steelers played the Patriots they gave up 55 points sooooo not quite sure which game you're referring to.

Also show me a QB who doesn't play like shit when consistently pressured and I'll show you a male cow

Strange, the last Patriots vs Steelers game I remember is the one where it infamously ended with Polamalu punching Brady's fumbled ball into the endzone, resulting in a safety.

And why wouldn't fans like recognition for their team?

Some of us are superstitious that think the media hyping your team is a jinx...

Regardless, he is correct, last time the Steelers and the Patriots met was like a 55-30 or something thwacking in Heinz field.

Edited by Lord Raven

Jeromey Clary retires. He was a subpar guard anyways. But it makes sense. He's had 10 career surgeries at 31 years old. I think it's time to hang it up.

So, an NFL.com article says that the Panthers are a mirror image of the Seahawks. And holy crap, now that I compare them, I think it's true! They have all these things in common:

- A dangerous defense

- A QB that's good and running and scrambling

- A dangerous ground game (though obviously Jonathan Stewart hasn't had a season like Marshawn Lynch has)

- A questionable o-line (seeing as both Russell Wilson and Cam Newton have been forced to scramble a lot. The Panthers' o-line has improved lately though)

- A passing game that isn't special. I'm not exactly sure on this one, but I've not heard much about Hustle Russell's receivers, just like I hear little about those of the Panthers.

This is gonna be an interesting game, and Cam Newton's squad is one of the few teams to really give them a run for their money. They almost won last time because the Seahawks had trouble getting anything going. The Panthers' defense just couldn't finish the job. But I know they can this time if they play like they did against the Cardinals and Falcons!

Edited by Anacybele

They're quite different, because Seahawks have these things called "the best defensive backs in the game." Meanwhile Wilson's receivers are basically glorified possession receivers at best and Wilson has much better mechanics than Cam on the run. Seahawks OL is still shit though. Cam Newton's receivers are Olson, Benjamin, and a couple others; while Benjamin is unreliable they're still better than an injured Doug Baldwin and idk who else they've got since Sidney Rice retired and their top TEs are injured. Also Wilson has way more rush yards than Newton.

That's generally a good description of how they're playing right now. Lynch is also a very different back to Williams, and again the Seattle OL right now is significantly worse than the Carolina OL.

Wilson has like 350 more rush yards than Cam Newton and way more yards per rush.

Edited by Lord Raven

Well, I was never saying that the two teams were exactly the same either. I just think they have similar strengths and weaknesses. And Wilson probably has more rush yards because of a shittier o-line, meaning he's forced to scramble more often than Cam is.

Then you can pretty much generalize any team as "weak OL, good run game, good defense" cause that's super broad... and having a bad OL doesn't mean you're rushing more as a QB necessarily because Michael Vick and Warren Dunn back in the day had a pretty strong OL but Vick took off like mad. Kaepernick in 2012 also had a good OL and him and Gore went nuts with rushing too.

Don't fuck this up dont fuck this up

You'll be fine as long as the d-line keeps playing like a fucking pop warner unit, and McDaniels continues throwing the ball like a moron.

What so of idiot runs up the middle at the -30 but decides hey fuck it lets go off tackle at the 5 yard line. Fucking can't stand him. Shitty play caller. I don't care if we put up 100 fucking points today, he should not have a god damn job in this league.

Edited by king ranting panda

Why would you not throw the ball against our secondary?

Two reasons.

1. Our defense looks horrible. We need clock control and passing intermediate and deep isn't gonna work. It's puts up pretty numbers but it's really not worth much.

2. Elvis Dummerville is susceptible as a run stopper, where as there aren't any huge whole in terms of your pass rush when it's healthy.

So in theory running off tackle between -20 and 40 yard lines is more likely to help you win. Unless we pass to Gronk like 17 times and he just keeps dragging cornerbacks for 3-4 yards. But that risks another injury.

Also wow, Edleman literally just ran right into the cb and the ravens got flagged for it. These new rules are such bullshit.

Geez, come on Brady, don't let your guys fuck up against the Ravens again... I don't cheer for you very often either. But I hate the Ravens more. Also, my partner at work loves you guys! I'm cheering in her name too!

On another topic, good bye Dick LeBeau. *sniff* He was great for us while he lasted. Can't believe he's not retiring though, he's 77 years old! But god damn it, I think our D is in even more trouble now. You just can't fill LeBeau's shoes easily. And it isn't like Pittsburgh will want someone like Rex Ryan. I don't want him either anyway, he's an ass.

EDIT: Yay, score's tied now. Patriots are still in this. :)

Edited by Anacybele

Dumervil doesn't play on every down though

I thought he was in on 83% of snaps.

Wow I'm very off, only 56% of defensive snap, first point is still valid.