NFL 2014-2015 Season: Super Bowl Champion Patriots

Anacybele

^lol that's awesome. XD

I think Pey-Pey is just past his prime, as good as he was. He's 38 years old. Players are RARELY still in the league at that age. In fact, Brett Favre is the only other example I can think of. But Peyton brought great stuff to football and he's fun to watch in Papa John's and Nationwide commercials. He should retire and just stick to his commercials.

Come to think of it, Polamalu should go do more Head & Shoulders and Coke ads too!

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, those commentators made me sad. They made it sound like they were writing an obituary.

The painful part of this season is probably that nobody knows how good Peyton will be next year, and then Drew Brees is pretty obviously on a decline. It was only a year ago when these dudes were two of the elite four.

Anything can happen next season. There have been instances where teams were completely different in one season than they were the season before it. The Chiefs are a good example of this. And my Steelers didn't look anything like the cruddy 8-8 team from last season when they played this season. Yeah, they had a couple of piss poor games (Bucs and Jets ugh...) and really bad luck (Saints game where Ben hurt his throwing hand and Bell getting hurt in week 17), but Ben and his offense went and broke records and ranked the highest a Steeler offense ever ranked in decades.

For all we know, Rodgers could decline next season and the Raiders or Bucs could make it deep in the playoffs.

Edited by Anacybele

Anything can happen next season. There have been instances where teams were completely different in one season than they were the season before it. The Chiefs are a good example of this. And my Steelers didn't look anything like the cruddy 8-8 team from last season when they played this season. Yeah, they had a couple of piss poor games (Bucs and Jets ugh...) and really bad luck (Saints game where Ben hurt his throwing hand and Bell getting hurt in week 17), but Ben and his offense went and broke records and ranked the highest a Steeler offense ever ranked in decades.

For all we know, Rodgers could decline next season and the Raiders or Bucs could make it deep in the playoffs.

I don't think so... Celtics and Lakers in the NBA are the same way they were in the last season (they suck).

On the other hand, Arizona was poised to be a serious post-season contender before the injuries this season and I don't remember them being so good last season. 49ers made it to NFC final last season and didn't advance to the playoffs this season.

Edited by Cerberus87

Yeah, and the Steelers were primed to be a threat in the playoffs as well. But Bell got knocked out with a hyper-extended knee and a chunk of their threatening offense was lost. I think they still could've at least beat the Ravens, but they wouldn't have gotten past the Broncos or Pats without Bell, especially if Ben's knee injury against the Ravens still happened.

And I know, some teams can remain consistently good or bad too. Like I said, ANYTHING can happen.

Edited by Anacybele

Pats over Colts next weekend. I can't see a way the Colts defense can make enough stops without Luck playing out of his mind (which hasn't happened against NE in his career but then again, there's a first for everything...)

SEA vs NE on February 1st

EDIT: We won't find out until this week but the health of Bryan Stork's knee is the biggest decider of how well this team plays the rest of the way

Edited by chococoke

I don't think so... Celtics and Lakers in the NBA are the same way they were in the last season (they suck).

On the other hand, Arizona was poised to be a serious post-season contender before the injuries this season and I don't remember them being so good last season. 49ers made it to NFC final last season and didn't advance to the playoffs this season.

Haha Laker fan here.

The reason we didn't do great as of lately, Kobe tore his ACL previously, everyone got injured, and Pau Gasol was getting soft.

It's alright, I think the Lakers will have down seasons for a couple of years then Kobe will retire when his contract ends.

Edited by Vermilia Scarlet

no one knows what Peyton's plans are after this season, but it's said that he'd like to run a team some day (like Elway with the Broncos).

Haha Laker fan here.

The reason we didn't do great as of lately, Kobe tore his ACL previously, everyone got injured, and Pau Gasol was getting soft.

It's alright, I think the Lakers will have down seasons for a couple of years then Kobe will retire when his contract ends.

priority #1 for the Lakers right now is being bad enough to keep their 1st-round pick. then they have to hope Julius Randle + Upcoming Top-5 Pick develop enough to help woo free agents after this Kobe contract is off the books. things are more fun when the Lakers are good.

Sorry for hijacking this thread for NBA talk, but isn't betting on draft picks a little too risky? (also applies to other sports but still)

I mean, the Celtics sent Rondo to Dallas and now they have nothing to bargain with. (I'm kinda afraid because I like the Celtics)

Manning just looks finished from a physical stand-point. His passes look so weak and his pocket movement seems extremely awkward. As great as his football IQ may be, once the body starts failing you there's not much you can do. Denver mortgaged the future to win now, signing all those free agents to huge deals. This team was tailor made to win with Manning right now, and its going to decline rapidly in the next couple seasons. The following players will all be free-agents going into the off-season: Wes Welker, Von Miller, Demaryius Thomas, Terrance Knighton, Chris Harris, and Julius Thomas. I don't see Peyton returning to Denver next season. The question is whether he will be cut and play for another team or outright retire.

Sorry for hijacking this thread for NBA talk, but isn't betting on draft picks a little too risky? (also applies to other sports but still)

I mean, the Celtics sent Rondo to Dallas and now they have nothing to bargain with. (I'm kinda afraid because I like the Celtics)

Rondo was going to leave Boston in the off-season, so they needed to trade him or else they would simply lose him for nothing.

Rondo was going to leave Boston in the off-season, so they needed to trade him or else they would simply lose him for nothing.

Oh, so it's like in soccer where a team needs to sell a player before the contract expires to earn more money...

You don't? They went 10-6 and missed the playoffs. They started out kinda weak, but they managed to win @Seattle and almost beat the 49ers to end the season. In fact if they beat the Rams in their opener (which was a close game) and the 49ers at the end (which was also close, they lost in the last like 2 minutes if I'm recalling right) they're a 12-4 team in the playoffs. On top of the fact that Palmer played incredible in the second half of the season due to, according to himself, "figuring out the playbook." Add to that how in 2012 they started 4-1 (including a win over the Pats) and once Kevin Kolb got injured they substituted Lindley-esque QBs (one of which may have been Lindley) and went like 1-10 down the stretch, leading to the perception of being "one QB away from the playoffs.". It definitely didn't come out of nowhere.

I have a feeling we may have seen Manning's last game.

He just looks....... done.

Keeping in mind he was injured like all through december...

Yes. I made my argument in favor of Flacco's contract a while back and my responses were "just get one via draft" or "tank next year and hope you find a good one in 2014." Looks like we did the right thing keeping Flacco anyway, given that I don't think we found any sort of once-in-a-generation QBs in 2014 (compared to how RG3, Luck, and Wilson looked in 2012) and 2013's QBs... lol

Also Bills HC is now Rex Ryan, coupled with Jim Schwartz we might see some fucking scary defenses (and they're both from Billick's coaching tree). They're planning on putting Greg Roman (formerly of the 49ers of the past few years) as OC. If anyone wants a team to bandwagon, I'd go with the Bills right now.

Edited by Lord Raven

Yeah, sometimes it's crazy how a team winds up finding the QB they're looking for. The only reason Ben is our QB today is because of some crazy luck. When he was drafted, he was actually the third string QB behind Charlie Batch and Tommy Maddox. But Batch went down with an injury during the preseason, so he was moved up to the no. 2 QB. Then Tommy Maddox got himself hurt in either week 1 or 2 and Ben stepped in. The guy went on to become Offensive Rookie of the Year and then the youngest QB to win a Super Bowl a season later. Big Ben did big things! ^^

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, I think the Broncos might be in serious trouble next year. They probably have the worst cap situation in the league, possible Manning retirement, and the Chiefs and Chargers looked not totally incompetent.

Championship game picks:

Green Bay at Seattle- Green Bay has struggled on the road this year against top defenses(Detriot, Buffalo, Seattle) and Rodgers being hobbled doesn't help matters. Seahawks should be able to run against this defense.

Indianapolis at New England- The Andrew Luck Colts haven't had any success against the Patriots, going 0-2 against them the last two seasons in games that weren't very close. I'm not seeing a reason to think that there will be a drastic change here.

On the topic of Kobe (lakers fan here), I get the feeling he's trying to outlast Duncan for some reason. I know he's extremely prideful/competitive but it's just so much more difficult to remain at a high level as a guard than a bigman. As they say, you never lose you're height. Pau Gasol is a great example of this with his resurgence on a relevant team

On the topic of Kobe (lakers fan here), I get the feeling he's trying to outlast Duncan for some reason. I know he's extremely prideful/competitive but it's just so much more difficult to remain at a high level as a guard than a bigman. As they say, you never lose you're height. Pau Gasol is a great example of this with his resurgence on a relevant team

I think Nick Young has a bright future personally, derailing from topic. Let's get back to the NFL pls xD.

Yeah, let's get back to NFL. lol

Ugh, Steeler fans are making me sick right now. They're all whining that the wrong coach was "fired." Dick LeBeau wasn't even fired, he resigned, and nothing says that it wasn't mutual. Yeah, he was probably the best coach in our staff and yes he's leaving behind a legacy. But the guy is SEVENTY SEVEN YEARS OLD, let him take a fucking break. Seriously. It's not the end of the world. The D will probably take more time to grow back into the monster it once was, but it'll happen again. Tomlin doesn't suck, and I don't even think Haley sucks anymore. Haley was able to get our offense at the number 2 and for a little while, the number 1 ranked in the league! He had plenty of talent to work with, but he damn used it.

As for Tomlin, he just better make a good choice on the new DC. I don't want to see him fail, nor do I want to see more bitching about him by the fans. He's a great coach, he got us back to the playoffs and an AFC North title. He's only going to make this team keep growing from there, even if most of that growing is going to happen on the defense.

I like to think of NFL teams like plants. The coaches are the gardeners, and the players are the seeds. Those players have to grow into "strong and healthy plants" that can bear fruit or flowers. Those fruit and flowers being wins and championships in this case. But plants don't live for ever, and they will get old and no longer be able to produce their fruit or flowers. The players will get old and their ability to pump out wins will die. Thus, new "seeds" must be planted in their place by the gardeners, the coaches. And then those seeds will grow and the cycle continues. Some "plants" might last longer than others too. Teams like the Packers and Patriots seem like trees right now while other teams seem more like flowering plants that only last a year or two.

Edited by Anacybele

So apparently a bunch of reports are leaking that Manning had a ton of injuries (quad, thigh, pec, arm, etc.) Hopefully his terrible performance was attributed to that and not just him being done. I have always liked Brady more but I don't want to see Manning retire so soon. =(