NFL 2014-2015 Season: Super Bowl Champion Patriots

Anacybele

Happy Burfday Ray Rice.

Can you do me a favor and stop mentioning him? I feel like this isn't the first time you've said something like this.

Lol I guess my memory of the secondary back then is pretty shitty, though not surprising given that I kinda block that year out for the most part.

Honestly Asante didn't even do that poorly in either SB, it was usually Ellis getting picked on at the end of games. Also Rodney really was never a cover guy at safety, just a big hitter

Rodney also knew how to cover, but yeah he was fucking powerful.

Why do you block out the 16-0 season? Super Bowl loss aside, you've done something that nobody has done in the salary cap era, and that 2007 Patriots team I would firmly consider the greatest team of all time.

I don't block out 2006 or 2011 myself because those ultimately led to our 2012 playoff run and finally having a franchise QB for keeps. It makes Patriots fans seem pretty fucking entitled though if they block out a year due to a Super Bowl loss, where the Bills haven't been to the playoffs since Clinton was president and 4 franchises haven't even been to a Super Bowl yet.

Edited by Lord Raven

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you do me a favor and stop mentioning him? I feel like this isn't the first time you've said something like this.

I meant it as a good thing, I was actually be coincidence I found it out.

Yesterday was National Hug Day, so I was looking up "Special Holidays on January 22nd." Then a Wikipedia page about January 22nd came up, and his name was in there.

Heh, I certainly don't find myself entitled for not wanting to think back to when a fucking helmet catch was what separated my team from unparalleled glory or Eli Manning dejection. Honestly I find myself on the lower end of the scale in terms of entitlement and general bastard-ness when it comes to Pats fans. Maybe I'm just biased

I think entitlement is blocking out a 16-0 season just because you didn't win a Super Bowl. No team has ever gone 16-0 before, and no team has broken the receiving TD record since, and I believe Brady had 49/50 votes for MVP that year. The pure efficiency of that offense is unparalleled, considering they scored 3.5 points per possession, which I believe is the highest either in history or in the Super Bowl era (the next highest is like 3.1 from the 2011 Saints - it's a pretty steep drop off). There is a graphic out there showing the Patriots were last in the NFL in possessions at 102 and first in touchdowns at 51. They also had a scoring record that wasn't broken until that overrated-as-fuck Denver team broke it last year, except that the Patriots did it with a significantly tougher strength of schedule (and I mean significantly). I also believe they had the highest point differential in NFL history at 300+ which crushes just about every other team in that department. You just spent time heavily underrating that defense.

I think that's entitlement, there are very, very few teams where the paragraph I wrote hyping them doesn't do them any justice, yet you're blocking it out due to a fluke play in a Super Bowl where you were going against a team basically built to take you guys out. Get over yourself. This is coming from a Baltimore fan who had to compete with you guys, the Colts, and the Steelers for a spot in the Super Bowl every year but our dysfunction on offense prevented us from being able to do so. That still doesn't stop me from remembering 2006 extremely fondly despite the less-than-ceremonious exit to a Peyton Manning-led Colts team that could only put up 15 points on us. Of course, this made 2012 all the more sweet.

Edited by Lord Raven

I think entitlement is blocking out a 16-0 season just because you didn't win a Super Bowl. No team has ever gone 16-0 before, and no team has broken the receiving TD record since, and I believe Brady had 49/50 votes for MVP that year. The pure efficiency of that offense is unparalleled, considering they scored 3.5 points per possession, which I believe is the highest either in history or in the Super Bowl era (the next highest is like 3.1 from the 2011 Saints - it's a pretty steep drop off). There is a graphic out there showing the Patriots were last in the NFL in possessions at 102 and first in touchdowns at 51. They also had a scoring record that wasn't broken until that overrated-as-fuck Denver team broke it last year, except that the Patriots did it with a significantly tougher strength of schedule (and I mean significantly). I also believe they had the highest point differential in NFL history at 300+ which crushes just about every other team in that department. You just spent time heavily underrating that defense.

I think that's entitlement, there are very, very few teams where the paragraph I wrote hyping them doesn't do them any justice, yet you're blocking it out due to a fluke play in a Super Bowl where you were going against a team basically built to take you guys out. Get over yourself. This is coming from a Baltimore fan who had to compete with you guys, the Colts, and the Steelers for a spot in the Super Bowl every year but our dysfunction on offense prevented us from being able to do so. That still doesn't stop me from remembering 2006 extremely fondly despite the less-than-ceremonious exit to a Peyton Manning-led Colts team that could only put up 15 points on us. Of course, this made 2012 all the more sweet.

Pey-Pey leads the QB statistics, but only one Super Bowl... That's why he isn't unanimously considered to be the best of all time.

Titles do count more than you think.

Edited by Cerberus87

What's your point? My point is that it's infinitely easier to be a Patriots fan in the past 15 years than just about every other team out there. 3 titles and 6 appearances, a 16-0 season, the 2010 season which I believe set records for the fewest turnovers ever, and 2011/2012 had two of the top 10 scoring offenses of all time. The team doesn't even live and die with Brady like the Colts did with Manning, even during those years with the mediocre defenses.

My point is that, yeah the Pats went 16-0, but losing the big one plays a huge part in accepting the team as the best ever (or not). But, in your defense, I've seen plenty of teams in sports regarded as the best ever who didn't win championships. Soccer is full of them: Hungary in 1954, Brazil in 1982...

I agree that the Patriots have been consistently successful during the Belichick/Brady era and it's very easy to support them, though.

Edited by Cerberus87

Oh no, that Patriots team was the best ever, the issue was that the Giants could amp up the interior pressure that could make the Brady-Moss connection a little harder than it should've been.

Even then, they couldn't completely stop it, because Brady came incredibly close to connecting with Moss towards the end of the game. However, a great pass rush with some secondary help is all you needed to hold this team and even that could be a struggle; the Ravens, Colts, and Giants were the teams that were most successful at keeping them at bay and even they couldn't succeed 3 times out of 4.

Furthermore, going 16-0 with that schedule is very difficult, considering the AFCN that year was much stronger than their record suggested (only the Ravens had a losing record that year I think, and even they were one of the better 5-11 teams out there) and the NFCE sent 3 teams to the playoffs that year. Of course, there was the obligatory matchup with the Colts and the Chargers that year, who were both strong teams.

Edited by Lord Raven

Okay perhaps "blocking out" the year isn't quite the correct terminology. I was merely saying that due to my remembering the secondary as being older and crumbier. Trust me, I'm well aware of the accomplishments of the 2007 squad, of Tom Brady and all the other players involved. I think it's the greatest team ever. The '72 Dolphins had the 2nd easiest strength of schedule of ANY team in the Super Bowl era. That's a long time.

Maybe I'm just used to people who argue that no championship means the year didn't matter. Trust me when I say I'm privy to the insane offensive efficiency from that year.

I don't think I need to get over myself, guy. Maybe my original terminology wasn't correct but I don't take for granted the insane success of this team since Bill and Brady became a thing. I think Tom is the greatest QB of all-time. I'm not some numbnuts griping about past BS (though I'll admit most NYG fans can blow me)

LOL this is the funniest post about Ballghazi I've ever seen.

"40 years in the league and fucking 2 PSI? You fucking kidding me? I gave LT* coke before games and if ya'll motherfuckers found out about it, that'd have less of a reaction than this."

*Lawrence Taylor for people like Vermilla Scarlet who would think Ladainian Tomlinson.

Edited by Lord Raven

Belichick's press conference today convinced me that absolutely nothing is going to come of this. Either the Pats really are innocent or the NFL has no incriminating evidence.

When spygate blew up Belichick immediately acknowledged and apologized for it. I see no reason why he would so vehemently deny involvement in this scandal unless he was 100% positive there would be no repercussions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxv4hOpbFEQ

THIS IS AMAZING HOW COME I HAVEN'T FOUND THIS YET.

Angry Browns Fan is great. His videos even made the local news a few times back when I still lived in the Cleveland area.

I'm preparing for how pissed I will be if we lose to the Bengals next year, after Andy Dalton's performance in the Pro Bowl today. 9/20 for 69 yards with all those weapons, that OL and limited pass rushing plays? The fuck?

...Why was Dalton even picked for the Pro Bowl? lol. Cam Newton would've been a way better choice, even for a replacement!

I feel you though, Lord Raven. I'll be mad if my Steelers lose to the Bengals next season too. Especially since we just swept them and their bad QB!

And I'd certainly like a playoff rematch with your Ravens, this time with Le'Veon Bell and a viable defense.

Edited by Anacybele

Dalton was in the Pro bowl as like a 7th alternate, because Ben roethlisberger, Flacco, brady, wilson, Newton, and peyton manning declined their invites. Only one was not an injury decline, and that was because he is trying to build an army through his wife.

...You mean one of those QBs declined in favor of trying to make babies? Wtf lol...

At least I know for sure it's not Ben though, that would be really awkward. He was hurt in the playoffs and thought he'd have to get knee surgery.

Oh wait, it could be Newton too...geezus. Still wtf though.

Edited by Anacybele

Joe Flacco's son was born that week, so he didn't go to the Pro Bowl to spend time with the wife and kids (and I don't think you should be taking a newborn on an airplane). 3rd kid in 4 years.

Edited by Lord Raven

Yeah, babies that young shouldn't be taken on planes, that's true. But geez, that really does sound like he's making an army. lol Even Ben only has two kids as far as I know.