NFL 2014-2015 Season: Super Bowl Champion Patriots

Anacybele

Yet a not fully healthy Steelers team that had Le'Veon Bell managed to stomp your Ravens in week 9. Le'Veon Bell being injured put a nice dent in our chances in the playoffs. Sure, his running wasn't much of a factor in week 9, but he also serves as a blocker and receiver. And being without him also likely shot the team's morale. They had just named the guy team MVP!

Also, even healthy, your Ravens aren't complete. You yourself were even going on about how you hate your receivers so much.

Oh yeah, this list is just an estimate/prediction of what the teams' chances next season will be. The Steelers would certainly be above the Ravens if their secondary is fixed. Our offense was one of the best this season and was even ranked no. 1 for awhile.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LT (Tomlinson) says pursue Adrian Peterson.

Though Demarco Murray would sound like a good pick up for us. Maybe even through draft Jay Ajayi or Tevin Coleman all sound like good pick ups for our team.

Quite honestly we only need to pick up Bulaga through free agency and a new Guard/Center.

ALSO HAPPY RETIREMENT NICK HARDWICK.

So are we doing mock drafts and predicted free agent pick ups on this thread? http://fanspeak.com/mtc/ Use this link if so.

EDIT: Actually the link is only for free agency. whoops.

Edited by Vermilia Scarlet

Yet a not fully healthy Steelers team that had Le'Veon Bell managed to stomp your Ravens in week 9.

You mean with an injured Eugene Monroe and an injury riddled secondary? We also went 2-1 against you guys on the season lol, admittedly you gave us our closest Wild Card win in the Harbaugh era!

Also, even healthy, your Ravens aren't complete. You yourself were even going on about how you hate your receivers so much.

Yes, they're mediocre, but we've still got a run game and a stout defense. And at some point, when our receivers managed to torch the Patriots secondary and almost put up 5 TDs (to 4 different receivers), then we've at least got a quarterback that can make them look decent. A healthy Campanaro adds a huge wrinkle to this offense, which is another thing we haven't seen this year.

Our defense was injury-riddled in that game too, mainly at the defensive line (because no Ryan Shazier and Jarvis Jones). We just proved that we have a way better offense.

But we'll have to see what happens if both teams are completely healthy when they face off next season.

Trust me when I say WR is honestly one of the least important positions on offense. I should know, I've seen some WRs nobody has heard of put up some pretty ridiculous games over the past decade and a half or so.

Even then, Baltimore's receiving corps isn't actually half bad. If Torrey Smith is retained, then the Smith Bros. form a nice tandem of possession receiver (Steve) and deep threat (Torrey.) Throw in Marc Trestman as the offensive coordinator and I believe that Baltimore will have the best chance of winning the AFC North in 2015. Throw in an impact player or two in the secondary and this team is truly frightening and should push for a top seed in the AFC.

As for my Pats, I'm hoping for an interior O-line selection in the first round. We're lucky this Super Bowl didn't turn into the past two against the Giants given how Michael Bennett was pressuring Brady on every other snap or some shit. Solidifying the inside of the O-line should absolutely be a priority for Bill this off-season.

-----

Since I haven't really been around in a few days... how about that game? I'm not gonna lie, when Kearse caught that ball, I got up and walked out of the room so I didn't have to watch a replay/listen to the Tyree comparisons (not to mention the entire broadcast from Al/Collinsworth sucked my anus honestly)

I honestly thought Lynch was going to score on that first down run, though I wasn't comforted at all by the fact that he was stopped fucking inches away from the goal line. Naturally I was yelling for Bill to take a timeout. Camera pans to Bill, staring forward with a look I had seen in quite a few losses in the past. Tick tick tick

Of course, I don't need to go into detail about how elated I was when Malcolm Butler came down with the ball. It's truly fitting that insane preparation through practice won the game for the Patriots, despite being that close to another Super Bowl lost on a miracle play and a "curse" most likely being born.

Nobody repeats but us, can't wait to defend the Lombardi next year and try to repeat once more

EDIT: Dick LeBeau to the Titans? That should be interesting, given the lack of talent on their defense

Edited by chococoke

Pff, not if the Steelers do the same stuff they did this season. They still have a better offense because they got Antonio Brown who was the best receiver this season, Le'Veon Bell who was arguably the best RB this season, a deep threat in Martavis Bryant (94 YARD TD BOMB! Plus his very first catch ever being a long TD!), a great QB in Big Ben, and a pretty decent o-line. If that o-line steps up a bit more, Ben and his weapons will tear anybody apart.

But I do worry about our defense and how well Keith Butler will handle it. If he can't, then yeah, the Ravens are going to take it, unfortunately...

EDIT: Well, LeBeau going to the Titans is better than him going to the Cardinals, I suppose.

Edited by Anacybele

Pittsburgh's offense was marginally better than ours. We had a much better run game but Flacco only threw 5 less TDs than Roethlisberger. 12 of Roethlisberger's TDs came from 2 games compared to 5 from one game for Flacco. Baltimore also had just as many offensive touchdowns (both had 43 rushing + passing). This is without a Top 20-30 receiving threat on our team.

PF for Pittsburgh was only 27 points more than Baltimore, and our PA was a full 68 points lower. On top of that, you're not factoring a) another drop off from Polamalu, b) retirement from Harrison and Kiesel who seem way better than the next man up, whereas the only person we've really lost on our front 7 is like Pernell McPhee, but based on our history of drafting LBs Courtney Upshaw's due for a good year. Our DL is rock solid, with Haloti Ngata, Timmy Jernigan, Brandon Williams, and possibly Chris Canty (and we're good with drafting 3-4 DEs too) our LBs are Suggs/Dumervil (who I believe led the league in sacks by a LB duo) and Mosley/Smith with Arthur Brown in the reserves. Smith is ridiculous and Mosley was in the running for DROY and was fully healthy. We've got depth on defense too, considering we still had a good defense on our 8th or 9th DB. When Ngata went down Jernigan stepped up and did incredibly well.

Yeah, our secondary wasn't just injured, we were on our 8th or 9th DB on the season. That almost never happens. On top of that, when our elite RT went down, a rookie RG stepped up and Yanda played RT our OL was still pretty ridiculous, and Osemele has been playing more and extremely well to support UDFA Hurst, given that Osemele was the reason Harrison kept getting his ass kicked in the division round.

Also if anything our coaching in general is proven to be better than like 95% of teams in the league. I think the only teams that compete with our coaching are Arizona and Seattle with New England firmly at #1.

Trust me when I say WR is honestly one of the least important positions on offense. I should know, I've seen some WRs nobody has heard of put up some pretty ridiculous games over the past decade and a half or so.

But then again, you've had two TEs and last year when the receiving corps was hobbled Brady looked lost. You've always had at least one dude that was some good mismatch, which was Edelman. We don't have that ridiculous TE like Gronk or slippery WR like Welker/Edelman (although Campanaro is basically that, but he was hobbled everyday, but he was a rookie).

Torrey Smith may not be the optimal guy to keep. I've lost faith in him after that divisional round game, where he gave up looking for the ball and instead went after the DB. I think 2/3 of our picks were thrown towards Torrey Smith. I think Marlon Brown can step up as a #2, and there's a lot of Brandon Marshall to Baltimore speculation that could make up for that too...

At any rate, I just want the BPA first round, so long as it's not OL, which I doubt. WR or DB would be great.

Edited by Lord Raven

Aren't Wide Receivers like the most important position when it comes to intricate big running scheme plays?

I feel like Fullback is the least important position on offense as a number of teams don't use Fullbacks very often unless they can also play Dual position as a TE as well.

Also running backs are more expected to block as ever.

EDIT: Then again Lorenzo Neal helped a lot with Tomlinson's ridiculous numbers

Edited by Vermilia Scarlet

I'm aware that the average points allowed by the Steeler defense was abysmal. We're supposed to be known for a rock solid defense and yeah. >.>

Although, our defensive LINE did show potential when it pressured Andrew Luck, Joe Flacco, Alex Smith, and Ryan Fitzpatrick all day. Hell, they stopped JAMAAL CHARLES on a FOURTH AND INCHES. We also got one defense guy into the Pro Bowl and his name is Lawrence Timmons. We did have two good CBs named William Gay and Brice McCain who picked off multiple QBs, including the highly-praised Andrew Luck.

We had a few good guys there, just not nearly enough. Sigh...

Edited by Anacybele

I REALLY MISS THIS KID. HE FILLED IN LT'S ROLE NICELY AT LEAST. DIDN'T GET INJURED AND WAS A POWER RUNNER. I CAN'T BELIEVE HE RAN A 4.7 LOOKING BACK.

Well some teams don't even use a fullback in today's NFL, especially with the amount of passing/rules that give an advantage to passing. In more cases than not, the QB is the one who makes the WRs, and not the other way around. Having good WRs obviously helps the offense, but a great QB will improve any WR's numbers. Though I guess it's kind of a feedback loop of sorts

Well, sometimes it can be the WRs making the QBs look good too. AJ Green makes Dalton look like Aaron Rodgers sometimes, if you ask me. And Antonio Brown has managed to catch some shaky looking passes from Big Ben. In fact, part of the reason Ben put up such huge numbers this season was that he had a nice pool of weapons to work with.

But yeah, you're probably right that it's more often the reverse.

Edited by Anacybele

AJ Green doesn't, believe it or not... and I dunno, if Ben didn't have Brown to get a lot of YAC then I don't think he gets some of the numbers he got this season.

Well some teams don't even use a fullback in today's NFL, especially with the amount of passing/rules that give an advantage to passing. In more cases than not, the QB is the one who makes the WRs, and not the other way around. Having good WRs obviously helps the offense, but a great QB will improve any WR's numbers. Though I guess it's kind of a feedback loop of sorts

It's kind of funny, because if an NFL team has a fullback on its roster these days, they better be able to double as a Tight End, which is how we tried to use Kyle Jucyzcyk (except he tries too hard to get extra yards and fumbles). Edited by Lord Raven

It's kind of funny, because if an NFL team has a fullback on its roster these days, they better be able to double as a Tight End, which is how we tried to use Kyle Jucyzcyk (except he tries too hard to get extra yards and fumbles).

Absolutely. This definitely became a thing when Aaron Hernandez was brought into the league as a "move" TE. He also played some H-back and was split out wide often.

The Patriots' current fullback, James Devlin, actually never lined up as a TE. He was a pretty decent lead blocker though and also fought for extra yards - minus the fumbles anyway

EDIT: Also, it's important not to forget regarding Ben that Todd Haley masturbates to screen pass plays every single night

Edited by chococoke

Ben does have a lot of weapons to work with. However, he's also a top 7 or 8 QB, and is one of the most underrated in the league

This I can agree with too. Sure, he can dungoof under pressure (can't ANY QB though?) and he's not a runner. And he may not have the best eyes (He missed like two open receivers on one play, wtf...). But holy fuck the way he pumpfakes, extends plays, and throws bombs. And on occasion, he's rushed for TDs when nobody would expect it (like a 15 yarder in 2013). Imo, he's at least the best pumpfaker in the league. He's got amazing hands. He's also pretty tough to tackle due to his size and bulk.

http://instagram.com/p/yyJlRBotPb/

For those who are uninitiated: Late for Work is a Baltimore piece written by a Ravens beat reporter just about every week, and Brandon Marshall edited it onto his picture on Instagram. He's dropped a lot of hints to Harbaugh and the Ravens organization in general and I believe it was exacerbated by bringing in Marc Trestman.

I don't know how I should feel about this. I'm kind of sick of these old veterans, and I have no idea if we'll get a Derrick Mason/Anquan Boldin or like TJ Houshmanzadeh/Lee Evans. I'm still not sold on Steve Smith and I have no idea how he'll perform next year, because next year's the year where I should be confident that we'll actually be in Super Bowl contention again.

Edited by Lord Raven

Similarly, we have no idea how Keith Butler will be handling our defense this season. My stepdad thinks the team will be mediocre, but I feel if the offense performs the way they have been, we can at least make the playoffs again. The next decisions the staff makes will make or break the team, imo. Either they'll be awesome, or they will stink, if you ask me. Sigh...

So, what were you guys' favorite plays from your teams this season? I can't really list any in order, the Steelers had a bunch of great ones! So I'll go by week.

Week 1:

- Big Ben in trouble... Out of trouble, he throws, TD for Antonio Brown! Classic case of Big Ben magic for ya. ^^

Week 3:

- Le'Veon Bell outruns the Panthers D for 81 yards! Longest run by an offensive Steeler since...I don't remember how long, but it was a long time!

Week 5:

- Brice McCain pick-six!

Week 7:

- MARTAVIS BRYANT'S FIRST CATCH A LONG TD!

- Big Ben pitches it to AB, AB throws, TD Lance Moore! Receiver to receiver TD!

- Brett Kiesel's interception, oh my gawds, that was nuts. XD He deflects Ryan Fitzpatrick's pass, it bounces off Lawrence Timmons's helmet, and Kiesel catches it!

- Mike Mitchell rips the ball from DeAndre Hopkins, Troy Polamalu recovers it!

Week 8:

- WILLIAM GAY PICK-SIX!

- AB's amazing one-handed TD grab!

- The Steelers didn't influence this much, but they were in it: Andrew Luck's butt-safety. LOL!

- Antoin Blake picks off Luck to seal the amazing victory!

Week 9:

- Any James Harrison sack on Joe Flacco

- Jason Worilds picks off Flacco's attempt to throw the ball away!

- Steelers: Alright, let's kick the FG.

Shaun Suisham: Got it! *goes to kick, but the snap is bobbled* SHIT, Brad do something!

Brad Wing: Uh...okay! *sees Matt Spaeth in the endzone* You, catch this! *throws*

Matt Spaeth: Okay... GOT IT! TWO POINTS!

John Harbaugh: *hands on head*...What the fuck just happened.

- AB outruns the whole Ravens secondary for a TD!

Week 11 (vs the Titans, I think?):

- WILLIAM GAY PICK-SIX 2: METTENBERGER'S FIRST THROW

Week 14:

- MARTAVIS BRYANT 94 YARD TD BOMB! This kid rocks!

- Le'Veon Bell extends for the TD!

Week 15:

- WILLIAM GAY PICK-SIX 3: MATT RYAN FAILS

Week 16:

- JAMAAL CHARLES STOPPED ON FOURTH AND INCHES!

- Jamaal Charles fumbles, Steelers recover!

Week 17:

- AB RETURNS PUNT FOR TD!

- Andy Dalton fumbles, Arthur Moats recovers!

- AJ Green fumbles, Antoin Blake recovers!

- Brice McCain picks off Dalton TWICE!

- AB runs away from the Bengals secondary for a TD!

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. Funny how I don't remember weeks 12 and 13... Maybe the game against the Titans was actually one of those. Note, I might have missed good plays from games I could not watch. A few weren't on TV here.

Edited by Anacybele

I hate that awful period after the Super Bowl but before march madness and baseball season starts. Such a sad and empty void for sports. =(

I know its a cardinal sin being from Michigan, but I've never cared for hockey.