NFL 2014-2015 Season: Super Bowl Champion Patriots

Anacybele

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bridgewater had a terrible pro day, this is leading to a bunch of people questioning his resolve or that kind of thinf.

Manziel had a great pro day.

That's the main difference, Manziel also has a better work ethic and he's more athletic. lf Manziel's mechanics can be improved he'll easily surpass rhe others.

Are you sure about the work ethic? Both have really good work ethic. Pro Days don't tell me much, and the guy has a really good understanding of a pro-system and the X's and O's of football. He plays quite smart and he really just needs to improve his arm and his bulk.

Bridgewater is about as athletic, but like Andrew Luck he doesn't use his athleticism. Manziel would scramble around and look for a big play most of the time, whereas Bridgewater is more likely to check it down, which is more often than not what will help you in the NFL because I don't think either person is as elusive as Russell Wilson (nor are they as heavily built - Wilson is a QB that's built like a running back).

You mean he can't catch or he can't hold onto the ball? Either way, yeah, that's pretty bad.

It's instinct. He jumps for a lot of balls that... would have gone to his chest otherwise. He's a long strider, so his straight line speed is actually quite fast but he doesn't have very much lateral agility to run routes or make cuts (unlike Welker, who is kinda slow in a straight line but is a ridiculous route runner and can change his momentum completely if he needs to). The ball bounces right out of his hands, so he can't catch very well. He would do well in a role similar to Matthew Slater for the Patriots - quite good at forcing a fair catch or bad field position due to speed.

Based on what I see, he'll be your fourth string guy. Someone on your roster is gonna be your #2, Lance Moore goes to the slot (since that's what he did with the Saints in his career) and Brown will stay at #1. I would personally be ecstatic if he starts for you guys (showing that Baltimore pride by screwing over the Steelers - he graduated from my friend's high school 5 years before my friend did), but I heavily doubt him doing it.

Also, this hits kinda close to home since I'm graduating college in two and a half weeks, so here's Alex Smith's commencement address. Incredibly well-spoken guy, and he's actually quite smart and a great orator.

Edited by Lord Raven

I see. Then you're probably right, he'll be third or fourth string. Antonio Brown better stay at first, he's a record-making receiver.

markus wheaton (i think that is his name) is a guy they are high on, he was a rookie last year and he definitely has talent, so I think the steelers will be fine at the WR department. Man since I root for the raiders I have rooted for DHB for awhile, if he put it all together he would be good. He is also good at run blocking for a WR if that means anything.

Yeah, I thought Wheaton was going to fill Mike Wallace's shoes, but the team hardly used him. I hope they put him out there more often this time. He's supposed to be Mike Wallace-fast.

Derek Moye was good when he made that sick catch in the one game, but other than that, he wasn't special. I haven't really seen any other of our receivers in action besides Sanders and Cotchery, who obviously left.

Edited by Anacybele

He is also good at run blocking for a WR if that means anything.

Oh yeah I forgot about this. He's actually an amazing blocker. He's too undersized to be a Tight End and not big enough for a fullback, sadly, because his skillset would line up with a good blocking TE.

Yeah but they run more of a West Coast system under Haley than when Arians was their OC and they ran a Coryell. It's why Ben was healthy all year. The offensive line isn't as important to them.

You apparently missed the part where I said our old o-line coordinator got fired. The main problem with the o-line the past couple of years was, as I said, that the strategies revolved too much around Maurkice Pouncey, our best guy there. Our old o-line coordinator got fired because as soon as Pouncey was injured, the offense played like shit. It was only when Le'Veon Bell and Heath Miller got out there and when Ben and Haley finally started agreeing that the offense looked like the real Steelers again.

Now that we have a new o-line coordinator, hopefully we'll see more improvement.

I hope that once Ben retires, he comes back as an offensive coordinator. He knows his stuff. Every time he calls the shots, stuff gets done.

Edited by Anacybele

It's hard to project players as coaches. Like Peyton Manning is great, but i don't really see him being a good OC because I do not think he could handle allowing someone else to play the qb spot and adapting it for someone else. How many back ups for Peyton Manning have actually been good? (Zero). Actually, it would seem like a lot more back up qbs (or more average qbs) have a better chance of being an OC or HC. Off the top of my head: Kliff Kingsbury, Jason Garret, Jim Harbaugh, and I'm pretty sure there are more in college. They also have to have the desire to coach, which would be hard to figure out if you didn't know them personally.

Don't worry I saw the posts above, it definitely wouldn't hurt to get more talent (and athleticism) on that O-line, especially with the talented front 7s in that division. Bengals, Ravens, and yes the Browns have great front 7s. Also, the Steelers are great at picking up veteran receivers too and utilizing them in rotations.

Huh, I've heard that several players eventually became coaches. Dick LeBeau is one of them, actually. I'm surprised he's still around though, this guy is 75 years old! :P

The Steelers o-line currently has a few talented dudes, namely Pouncey, David DeCastro, and Mike Adams (he used to suck, but he's gotten a lot better lately), but yeah, they could probably use a few more.

Munchak has a good history of coaching olines. It's how he got an HC job for Tennessee despite being mediocre as an HC.

Also, yeah it's always the journeymen that make the best coaches. I remember Starr was putrid as an HC for the Packers, but Jim Harbaugh was an okay QB and a great HC. Also, Kubiak was a backup (to Elway amusingly enough) and wasn't bad, but he was a very effective coordinator with the Broncos (while Elway was there) and did an okay job rebuilding the Texans.

Also most players don't coach their backups, I'm surprised this fallacy still exists. Why would you help the guy taking your job?

Edited by Lord Raven

I didn't say Ben should be a quarterback coach. I said offensive coordinator. There's a difference. :P

But whatevs. I still have good expectations for my Steelers this time, I just hope they know what they're doing in terms of their receivers. Antonio Brown is the only veteran receiver they have now, as far as I can see. Wheaton is still a rookie, Moye is newish, and yeah.

I didn't say Ben should be a quarterback coach. I said offensive coordinator. There's a difference. :P

There's a huge difference between calling plays at the line and being a coordinator; also if you can't teach quarterbacking, then it's a long shot to being a coordinator given the position requires not only the ability to understand the QB position but to convey it to a group of people. And then an OC has to understand a lot of theory, and calling plays at the line is different from calling plays and being the forefront of a gameplan. I've also heard generally that while Ben isn't a locker room cancer, he's also not a good guy (in fact, kind of an asshole), and you need to have some semblance of personability to be any sort of assistant coach.

I don't believe Manning would be a good offensive coordinator myself. Calling a play at the line is much different than being a good OC. Each playcall in reality has a set of audibles and a set progression to go through, and quarterbacking is quite a bit more scripted than one might initially believe. Also, as I said before, Bart Starr was actually a pretty bad coach despite being a HoF QB; he may understand the game incredibly well but it doesn't mean he can coach a team.

Randy Moss is one of the greatest WRs of all time and you could even argue the best there ever was, but he definitely couldn't be a WRs Coach or an OC despite his intricate understanding of the game.

Also most players don't coach their backups, dim surprised this fallacy still exists. Why would you help the guy taking your job?

Yeah I knew this but I still hear the same stuff mainly when it comes to Peyton about how he is so smart so his backups will also be good (which they are never good lol). It would have been nice to see it when like Peyton was out that whole year, then they might have won some games and not gotten Andrew Luck lol jk.

Probably because of people like Rodgers, Brady, Palmer, and Kaepernick who were supposedly mentored by Favre, Bledsoe, Kitna, and Smith while they were tearing shit up.

Except Favre threatened retirement many times cause of Rodgers and didn't teach him shit (Rodgers picked up on things instead - and McCarthy did most of the work). Bledsoe was livid that Brady was living the dream, realizing in the end it was either Belichick or him - and he had been playing in New England a decade by that point and was signed forever. He probably didn't care to tutor the fourth stringer that became a backup in short time. (And I doubt keeping a fourth quarterback on your roster would rub your starter the right way). I figured Kitna knew he was on his way out but I doubt he did much. And finally, Smith was mad as fuck that Kaepernick took his spot starting for the Super Bowl team.

Just because they didn't turn into a cancer after getting replaced doesn't mean they'll simply just mentor someone who isn't them. They help with winning after getting replaced but not before they're replaced.

Andrew Luck is a pretty decent QB, imo. But I still like Ben, Newton, and Pey-Pey best. :P

I just wish the Broncos hadn't shit all over themselves in the Super Bowl. WORST Super Bowl EVER. lol

Just 3 more days until the draft begins...

I just wish the Broncos hadn't shit all over themselves in the Super Bowl. WORST Super Bowl EVER. lol

I loved the super bowl though.

Super Bowl 35 was the worst ever unless you were a Ravens fan

Peyton could get completions and even a TD in garbage time. They hit the redzone plenty. Also set a record for completions.

The Ravens scored 34 on the Giants who scored 7 on a special teams TD... Outside of that it was a shutout. Collins had some shit like 15/39 for 86 yards, 0 TDs, 4 Ints and Trent Dilfer was like 12/25 for 150 yards and a TD. Neither QB played well and Dilfer overthrew wide open receivers by a solid 15-20 yards. Jamal Lewis and Priest Holmes weren't particularly efficient with runs and there were a ton of punts in the game.

The Giants never made it past midfield. And there was almost no hope of a comeback at halftime. You would think before halftime the Broncos could pull a comeback out of their ass. It didn't happen but the idea was a thing given that the offense hit the redzone like twice by that point in the game, and it was a matter of executing on 4th and short. Giants had absolutely none of that.

Edited by Lord Raven

Well, now local conventional wisdom has us drafting Sammy Watkins at #4 and a QB at #26 (possibly Bridgewater, since some mocks have him falling that far, even if I personally think someone is going to pick him earlier. Regardless, he'd be a steal at #26, pro day be damned). Having Watkins and Gordon would give us one of the most devastating WR duos in the league, a huge jump from just a few years ago when our QBs had no one to throw to.

Of course, one of the teams ahead of us could draft Watkins (some of our sportscasters think Jacksonville is going to draft either Watkins or Manziel and we're going to draft the other) and mess that up. I guess we'll find out very soon.

Although, for our #26 pick, the Ohio State fan in me still wants to bring Carlos Hyde to Cleveland (Is he still considered first round material? I didn't really follow the pro days and I'm not paying for an ESPN Insider subscription), even if that means waiting until the 2nd round to get the QB we need.

Edited by ClevelandSteve

Bortles as the first QB drafted. He's definitely more mechanically sound than Manziel but I'm surprised that he went above Manziel.

What do guys think?

And the browns make the first trade in the draft with the bills.

Trading down? Seriously? We needed that pick! Hopefully we got a good number of picks out of this...

Edit: We got two 2015 picks. I mean, sure, one of them was a first rounder, but we need picks this year.

Edited by ClevelandSteve