X/Y Smogon Metagame Thoughts

ZemZem

What are your thoughts on how the Kalos Pokémon, and old blokes like Azumarill who got some new tools to utilize, will work out in the X/Y metagame?

Talonflame I feel is definitely OU material. Gale Wings is just too amazing with priority Roost/Acrobatics/Brave Bird, and it helps that it also has Flare Blitz access as well as Bulk Up/Swords Dance. Stealth Rock blows, but at least it can Roost it off.

Slurpuff is hilarious. Unburden + Sitrus Berry + Belly Drum is quite the combination. Though other than that hilarity, I think it'll be NU or RU.

Contrary Malamar and Superpower, along with its awesome Dark/Psychic typing is definitely UU material.

I'd list more, but I'm tired.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll just list stuff in no particular order

well, gotta love houndoom. set up nasty plot, attempt to sweep, destiny bond something like heatran or chansey...

band talonflame is nice, but i don't like it as much as i did before, since i'd rather run something like bulky dragon dance charizard x.

azumarill loves those egg moves for sure...

in ru, i learned that choice band scyther double hit will take care of smeargle leads. :D

I FRIGGIN LOVE ASSAULT VEST CELEBI :D

since priority is all over the place, i don't think stuff that uses salac berry will do well anymore...

all hail yanmega and its greatness

for god sake, run a fast taunter or skarmory because of sturdy and whirlwind. being swept by baton pass teams is not fun. i personally like the ol'reliable aerodactyl lead set. or just something to deal with those damned teams.

don't run swords dance on aegislash. there are so many better options out there. if you really want a boosting move, go weakness policy. swords dance is okay, but will o wisp just shuts you down.

mega tyranitar is coolio.

I HAVE TO GET A GLIGAR WITH DEFOG. MY GOD THIS THING IS THE BEST DEFOGGER OF ALL FRIGGIN TIME. WHY DON'T I KNOW HOW TO BREED WELL IN 4TH GEN.

i'm surprised raiku is ru right now.

Consider sacred fire entei. just do it.

Mega Aerodactyl is great.

Did you know that curse umbreon can beat most Conkeldurr on the switch if running moonlight and only hp investment?

I ALSO HAVE TO GET A HEAL BELL EEVEE UMBREON FOR BEST CLERIC

Edited by Comet

Haha, nice Comet.

I transferred a Rash nature Luxray from SoulSilver to Black 2 to Y with the moveset Thunderbolt, Signal Beam, Superpower, and Hidden Power Ice. Interesting change from my Guts Luxray with Wild Charge, Crunch, Ice Fang, and Facade. Sadly, my favorite Pokemon will probably stay in NU, though I'm proud that in some battles, and managed to take out OU mons like Vaporeon.

Cinccino instantly became one of my favorite Gen V Pokemon after giving it a go with its Skill Link ability, and the moveset Tail Slap, Bullet Seed, Rock Blast, and Aqua Tail. Maybe it'll be UU again, since it's still quite a threat.

Bisharp pulled off the greatest darkhorse victory from the transition to gen 6. The offensive Dark and Steel buff is amazing for it.

Best Megas imo are the Charizards, Pinsir, Gyarados, Venusaur, Mawile and Scizor in that order. I haven't used Tyranitar yet but he's up there.

Mega Manectric isn't as insane as the above Megas but I love using him.

Thundurus and Landorus are amazing.

Aegislash should always run Shadow Ball.

I need to stop running U-Turn on Greninja.

I feel that mandibuzz is the MVP of my team. All the amazing buffs it got make it one of the best pokemon in OU, IMO. It's just so bulky and walls so much stuff. Foul play is hilarious, knock off is great and defog is the icyng of the cake

Edited by Nobody

Bisharp pulled off the greatest darkhorse victory from the transition to gen 6. The offensive Dark and Steel buff is amazing for it.

Best Megas imo are the Charizards, Pinsir, Gyarados, Venusaur, Mawile and Scizor in that order. I haven't used Tyranitar yet but he's up there.

Mega Manectric isn't as insane as the above Megas but I love using him.

Thundurus and Landorus are amazing.

Aegislash should always run Shadow Ball.

I need to stop running U-Turn on Greninja.

Speaking of Bisharp, Defog and Sticky Web being around do mean good things for it thanks to Defiant.

As far as the Mega Charizards go, I always thought Megazard Y was better.

I feel that mandibuzz is the MVP of my team. All the amazing buffs it got make it one of the best pokemon in OU, IMO. It's just so bulky and walls so much stuff. Foul play is hilarious, knock off is great and defog is the icyng of the cake

Also, Overcoat now means "**** you Spore". That's another thing.

Gosh it's been a while since I played on Showdown.

Assault Vest Celebi sounds really cool actually. And yeah, Umbreon makes a great special wall/cleric.

Bisharp is really great as well, I find it hard not to make a Pokemon Showdown team that has Bisharp somewhere in there. His STAB coverage basically only fails against other Bisharp and little else that I've seen.

Some of my favorite mons to use have been:

- Mega Gardevoir. It may not be one of the best Megas, but it's seriously underrated-- Pixilated Hyper Voice wrecks shit. I like to run a Taunt + 3 attacks set for utility, which can be pretty useful, though her biggest problem is 4MSS-- Hyper Voice is a necessity, but if you skip Taunt, walls like Chansey destroy you, and if you skip Psychic/Psyshock, Shadow Ball, or Focus Blast then Venusaur, Gengar, or Heatran/other bulky Normals/Steels cockblock you big time. Still, she's brutal with Sticky Web support rectifying her mehhh speed. Speaking of...

- Support Shuckle. He gets both Stealth Rock and Sticky Web, and thanks to Sturdy + when holding a Mental Herb to block Taunt, he's usually guaranteed to pop off at least one if not both hazards. Pairs well with Bisharp for Defog-happy teams hahaha.

- Mega Pinsir is really cool. He needs a bit of babying to get going and avoid Stealth Rock, but he's a monster with a SD boost or even just unboosted sometimes.

- Trevenant. I didn't believe the magic of Sub-Sitrus 'till I saw it, but boy does it work.

Edited by BANRYU

I really like Mega Heracross, though I can see why some prefer it to run Moxie, a Guts set, or a Choice Scarf/Choice Band set. A base 125 power STAB Pin Missile is insane, though, and it also has Rock Blast to utilize. I prefer it keep Close Combat over Arm Thrust, however.

^ Or get a Tyranitar. Or any other defensive Rock-type, really.

I just came back from GameFAQs and the general attitude there seems to be "I hate TalonfLAME but I don't want to run any of its counters!"

LOL well as you said, 'get good or get swept'. I guess Tyranitar would fall under the umbrella of 'get good', so.... ~3~

Mega Heracross is really cool in theory but he needs SO much support to sweep decently with that poor speed of his. I think it's best to treat him like CB Heracross, like a wallbreaker or something (that's my favorite version of Heracross anyway personally). Close Combat over Arm Thrust is definitely the way to go.

Yeah, it sucks a ton how it got a speed reduction. Personally I would've had it had its defenses go down so it could become a glass cannon like how Deoxys-A is, but alas.

I wish Play Rough had more distribution. There were apparently rumors of mon like Luxray and Flareon getting the move. That would actually be pretty fantastic if that were the case.

I use Hippowdon as a Talonflame counter. Switch in, take the brave bird, and the opponent take about 25% damage from recoil and sand. Then slack off or phase with hazards.

Mandibuzz is also a great tflame counter.

Brave bird and flare blitz only 3hko it (max atk and band), but roost males sure it stays alive and foul play destroys Tflame

As to Klefki, I'd say it makes an excellent support mon. Though I haven't seen many since the ban on Swagger...

I'm interested on how the new stuff from them will change the metagame... WAIT. GUYS, DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT'S IN HOEN? TUTORS. YES, TUTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chances are good that we'll get the remaining, as-of-yet unreleased Hidden Ability Kalos Pokemon as well. o3o Rock Head Smash Tyrantrum anyone? :3

Also yes please Mega Sceptile

Mega Flygon too plzzzz >w<

Chances are good that we'll get the remaining, as-of-yet unreleased Hidden Ability Kalos Pokemon as well. o3o Rock Head Smash Tyrantrum anyone? :3

Also yes please Mega Sceptile

Mega Flygon too plzzzz >w<

Metagross and Salamence needs some love as well

Have they not had hidden abilities released? :0 I could have sworn Moxie Salamence was released...

I was talking about them receiving Mega-evos xp

(and while Moxie Salamence is good, Metagross has a crappy Hidden Ability: Light Metal)

Oh.

Behh personally I don't think Salamence even needs a Mega, he's plenty good as is. Metagross is a lot worse this gen thanks to Dark/Ghost offense buffs, but he's still definitely usable at least...

Nah man, Flygon NEEDS the help. He's got a niche, but he ain't packin' the stats to back it up properly.