X/Y Smogon Metagame Thoughts

ZemZem

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Swagger was banned. I remember some people making a huge fuss about Smogon being out of touch with reality when they started the possible options to stops swagplay.

Wait what Swagger was seriously banned? o___0 ...I thought it was a joke. Huh. I never thought it was THAT much of an issue...

I feel like Smogon jumps the gun on a lot of bannings and whatnot... Freakin' Garchomp in Gen 5 was one. Mega Blaziken I get, even if I don't like it... Mega Kangaskhan might have been going a bit overboard... sheesh.

Wait what Swagger was seriously banned? o___0 ...I thought it was a joke. Huh. I never thought it was THAT much of an issue...

I feel like Smogon jumps the gun on a lot of bannings and whatnot... Freakin' Garchomp in Gen 5 was one. Mega Blaziken I get, even if I don't like it... Mega Kangaskhan might have been going a bit overboard... sheesh.

ha

haha

hahaha

have you seen how nut-fuckingly powerful MegaKhan is

ha

haha

hahaha

have you seen how nut-fuckingly powerful MegaKhan is

Most of when I played was when she was unbanned. So.... yeah?

I really only ever had trouble with nonstandard sets, though. SubRest Trevenant pretty much handles the varieties that run Fake Out/Normal STAB/EQ or fighting move/Sucker Punch. Scrappy unevolved Kangas didn't have the stopping power, and generally the only ones that gave me trouble were ones that ran uncommon moves like Fire/Ice Punch.

But meh I suppose that one was justified

I just don't like using one strong Pokemon as an excuse for losing or w/e *shrug* Holding oneself accountable and trying to improve and whatnot

Mega Khan is pretty OP.

Though my Kabutops was a pro in one battle where he survived with 1 HP against one, then quickly took her down.

EDIT: Also contemplating on using a specially offensive Klefki:

Klefki @ Life Orb

Ability: Prankster

EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Def / 4 SDef

Modest Nature

-Flash Cannon/Psychic

-Dazzling Gleam

-Thunder Wave

-Calm Mind

Edited by ZeeEmm

But Steels wall it.

Does Klefki get Shadow Ball? Bcuz Ghost/Fairy have pretty good coverage together.

e4k: Not really, not that I know of. OU is probably the best one to start with because you've got the most low-level players in that one; NU/RU/UU are more populated by people who actually know how to play most of the time (when last I played, anyway)

Yeah, Steel types are jerks.

I'd assume it gets Shadow Ball. If that's the case, then I'd use that over Flash Cannon/Draining Kiss.

And yeah, start with OU.

I didn't realize Klefki was so pro, BTW. Holy shit, no wonder Swagger was banned to Ubers.

Huh. I'm wondering why Klefki usage dropped like a ton of bricks after Swagger's ban though...

So Swagger was banned. I remember some people making a huge fuss about Smogon being out of touch with reality when they started the possible options to stops swagplay.

Short of banning Swagger, though, what could've been done? It isn't like Magic Bounce will solve all your Swagger problems given that two of the three mons with it are weak to Foul Play, and the other is 2-3HOKed by it even with a resist...

Mega Kangaskhan?? Overboard??? DOES NOT COMPUTE. Seriously, you must not have thought about how broken she is.

>Power-Up Punch

>Sucker Punch

>Return

>Filler

All she needs to eat the metagame for breakfast.

Short of banning Swagger, though, what could've been done? It isn't like Magic Bounce will solve all your Swagger problems given that two of the three mons with it are weak to Foul Play, and the other is 2-3HOKed by it even with a resist...

I'm not saying that the ban was a bad thing. I just remember that a certain youtube who had a lot of beef against smogon and his followers ridiculed Smogon for it, which I thought was ridiculous. I cannot how someone would enjoy fighting against SwagPlay and it's a pretty skill-less and luck-based way to win fights, especially if the whole team revolves around the strat.

I'm not saying that the ban was a bad thing. I just remember that a certain youtube who had a lot of beef against smogon and his followers ridiculed Smogon for it, which I thought was ridiculous. I cannot how someone would enjoy fighting against SwagPlay and it's a pretty skill-less and luck-based way to win fights, especially if the whole team revolves around the strat.

Oh. I agree though, Swagplay is a dick move of the highest order, and I'm glad it's gone. Whine all you want about ParaFlinch, but that's infinitely easier to counter.

Edited by Levant Caprice

Mega Kangaskhan?? Overboard??? DOES NOT COMPUTE. Seriously, you must not have thought about how broken she is.

>Power-Up Punch

>Sucker Punch

>Return

>Filler

All she needs to eat the metagame for breakfast.

First of all I already conceded about Megaskhan. But Secondly... Unless that Kanga is packin' Fire or Ice Punch in the last slot, my Trevenant is eating that for breakfast.

Edited by BANRYU

First of all I already conceded about Megaskhan. But Secondly... Unless that Kanga is packin' Fire or Ice Punch in the last slot, my Trevenant is eating that for breakfast.

Assuming that Mega Kanga didn't carry Fire or Ice Punch, what's to stop the other guy from just switching out? Also, I acknowledge that you conceded Mega Kanga, but the fact remains that people had to overprepare for it just to have a chance of winning, which leaves you underprepared for the other 5 mons that are backing her up (or hope the Mega Kanga user was an idiot or otherwise played subparly, which should NOT be a win condition). In that case, even if you did bring her down, the damage she caused is likely severe enough that your chances of winning were practically shot. (It could also use Crunch to ruin your Trevenant's day, which, given that Dark is a good attacking type with the Steel nerf, is a safe option)

Edited by Levant Caprice

Yeah it's true. Overcentralization DOES ruin the metagame, so it make sense that Megaskhan was banned. I was just being silly earlier.

Nothing stops her from switching, it just means that I've effectively checked the Kanga and may continue to do so as long as I keep Trev alive. Assuming no Fire/Ice Punch and Suckapunch over Crunch, everything Kanga has is a free switch-in for Trev to keep checking her.

If MegasKhan is running Crunch over Sucka Punch, then what's to stop me checking it with like Mawile or something (assuming Normal STAB/Crunch/P-up Punch/Fake Out, bcuz priority) and Foul Play or Rough Playing the shit out of it? (Or even our friend SwagPlay Klefki to cripple it with TWave since he was still unbanned before Megaskhan was?) Earthquake could be a thing, but then Kanga fails to adequately deal with Skarmory due to no boosting (if it's replacing P-Up Punch), or fast bombers like Specs Latios or something that outspeed it thanks to lack of priority.

Actually, running Fire/Ice Punch is probably one of the best things it can do to deal with some of its most common counters.

(speaking as someone who's never used it, IDK I might be wrong in terms of coverage lost by using one of these)

If Kanga is running Crunch it has no reliable priority, which can be taken advantage of.

There are ways around most Kanga sets, but having to counter them all IS admittedly overcentralizing.

PS I'm much better at Pokemon than I am at Fire Emblem

Edited by BANRYU

Yeah it's true. Overcentralization DOES ruin the metagame, so it make sense that Megaskhan was banned. I was just being silly earlier.

Nothing stops her from switching, it just means that I've effectively checked the Kanga and may continue to do so as long as I keep Trev alive. Assuming no Fire/Ice Punch and Suckapunch over Crunch, everything Kanga has is a free switch-in for Trev to keep checking her.

If MegasKhan is running Crunch over Sucka Punch, then what's to stop me checking it with like Mawile or something (assuming Normal STAB/Crunch/P-up Punch/Fake Out, bcuz priority) and Foul Play or Rough Playing the shit out of it? (Or even our friend SwagPlay Klefki to cripple it with TWave since he was still unbanned before Megaskhan was?) Earthquake could be a thing, but then Kanga fails to adequately deal with Skarmory due to no boosting (if it's replacing P-Up Punch), or fast bombers like Specs Latios or something that outspeed it thanks to lack of priority.

Actually, running Fire/Ice Punch is probably one of the best things it can do to deal with some of its most common counters.

(speaking as someone who's never used it, IDK I might be wrong in terms of coverage lost by using one of these)

If Kanga is running Crunch it has no reliable priority, which can be taken advantage of.

There are ways around most Kanga sets, but having to counter them all IS admittedly overcentralizing.

PS I'm much better at Pokemon than I am at Fire Emblem

Well, we're definitely on the same page there.

When I mentioned Crunch, it was as one of the "filler" moves (alongside Fire Punch, Ice Punch, and Earthquake).

I don't really see why Mega Kanga would run Fake Out when there are better choices for a moveslot (and there's the part where Sucker Punch hits harder). Also, Mega Kanga has more bulk than the likes of Jirachi and Celebi, and she only has ONE WEAKNESS!

And while I'm at it, there is a much less common Mega Kanga set that, nonetheless, is still extremely dangerous:

>Seismic Toss

>Crunch

>Wish

>Protect

...Yeah. This one caught so many players off guard because it literally comes out of left field.

Edited by Levant Caprice

Anyone up for a Pokémon battle? I might set up a battle schedule of sorts we can all do.

sure. i guess i came at the right time. in game or showdown?

sure. i guess i came at the right time. in game or showdown?

In game. There's gonna be a delay for a few hours, since I'm at a computer programming meeting now. Though instead of using any mon we want, we're gonna battle by NU, RU, UU, OU, or Ubers metagame guidelines. Now I want to be different and not use any OU or Ubers mon, so I'm gonna be rather active in the other three metagames, probably RU most of all.