X/Y Smogon Metagame Thoughts

ZemZem

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it funny how most Nidoking I saw are running a special set when he has better Atk (I think it even received a 10 point boost this gen). I guess his Special movepool is larger

it's because nidoking's strongest physical moves are not boosted by sheer force. prior to gen 5, nidoking preferred to go mixed.

Well yeah, I see what you're saying. If I ever used Nidoking (I kinda want to now), I'd want it to have a moveset consisting of Sludge Bomb/Earth Power/Thunderbolt/Flamethrower, or something like that.

I really got to look into the lower tiers. I have an idea for a competitive Beedrill. :P

Nidoking should literally never run Sludge Bomb because with Sheer Force Sludge Wave is better or equal in every regard.

Somewhat of a nitpick but you all really shouldn't say Nidoking having larger special movepool as reson to use the lower stat. Poison Jab/Eartquake/Fire Punch/Ice Punch/Thunder Punch/Agua Tail/Megahorn/Outrage/Sucker Punch is just as good as his Special movepool. As dondon said, the reason for nidoking to prefer special is somewhere between Earthquake not getting Sheer Force boost and Spacial moves hitting slightly harder because of the higher base power. Playing Physical Nidoking would totally be possible and likely effective because of the element of surprice.

Edited by a.f.k.a. Howard Hughes

The only reason why I gave ideas for a specially offensive Nidoking is because we were on the topic of Venomoth QuiverPassing its boosts to notable special nukes like Mega Blastoise, and I brought up that Nidoking is a possible one, too.

I'm fully aware of Nidoking's higher Attack stat, which was even raised from base 92 to 102 this Gen. And I agree what you're saying, but I don't think I ever said anything about using Nidoking's special movepool over its physical movepool.

Bisharp to be OU.

Gardevoir probably gonna be BL1 - it's got a niche for being the best specially offensive fairy (until that lolFloette is released). Trace makes it (imo) the best Thundurus-T counter, as well. Also, Hyper Voice Mega Gardevoir just seems way too powerful for UU.

I've had a lot of success with a physical Granbull tank. I can see it being UU or at the least RU.

Any notable Belch users?

The only one I can think of is Seviper.

Yeah, I think that Belch doesn't really have any notable users (the only other one I can think of is Toxicroak).

The issue with Belch is that in addition to the wonky at best berry use, most of its users have better atk and Gunk Shot access. It really isn't worth it in a world where Sludge Wave/Bomb and Gunk Shot exists.

That too. Though to be honest, I think Gunk Miss is rather iffy as an attack...

Gunk Shot got improved up to 80 hit rate. And while that is indeed iffy, Belch got only 90% anyway

So it's only as accurate as Stone Miss. Whoopedy-freaking-do. I'd rather just use Poison Jab.

Point being that when you have option to go for Gunk Shot, Belch should not be considered.

The ages old Fire Blast vs. Flamethrower argument you can have without me

Point taken, though I consider both pretty bad.

Anyways, I mentioned Toxicroak because it has Nasty Plot for special sets. But of course, if we're talking poison types, Black Sludge would be a better hold item than a Berry any day of the week, so meh.

Toxicroak could go for a pinch berry thou. I think Salac was the one that raises speed? Between Belch, Vacuum Wave and Nasty Plot he seems to have all the tools needed. Of course its secretly still just a shitty gimmick with low success rate.

Toxicroak has better atk than special atk, Access to Gunk Shot AND Poison Jab as well as having sword dance access. Also Bullet/Sucker Punch

i guess i'll say somehting that could make that work

toxicroak @ salac berry

modest 252 spA 252 speed

nasty plot

belch

vacuum wave

endure

Use with Wobbuffet or something else that can give Toxicroak lots of chances to set up, which he'll need. Wobbuffet lets Toxicroak get a free turn of setup with encore and give support if needed, as long as there are no taunt users against it. This would probably be MUCH better with rocks up because of Talonflame, and discourages Dragonite who has extreme speed. speaking of extreme speed, anything that can promptly eliminate Extreme Speed users would be good partners (Espeed users: Arcanine, Entei, Deoxys, Dragonite, Lucario). Timid isn't an option because Toxicroak will still get outpaced by neutral base 100 scarfs and faster at 1.5 speed, with only 442 speed. Modest gives Toxicroak 402 speed, enough to outspeed positive base 130's and neutral Mega Aerodactyl.

inb4 a reversal set

Edited by Comet

Wouldn't one want to use that in UU tier thou?

Basically all noteworthy Fighting resisting Priority users are banned there. The fact that Aegislash is Immune to both of your offensive moves is an issue that could be avoided too. Of course UU brings the issue of Nidoking being everywhere...

+2 252+ SpA Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Nidoking: 103-121 (33.8 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Of course Nidoking is small price to pay to not crumple against 4 of the top 10 most used pkmn in OU

• 2 weeks later...

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-127829795 skip to turn 21

the belch set with toxicroak finally worked. for anybody wanting to try it, don't; it's awful, and this was the first time it accomplished anything.

oh, and i just remembered: the double edge move tutor. now double edge, quick attack, and close combat, should be compatible on pinsir. or mega kick could be used instead, though i wouldn't because of its accuracy. endure would also be back. :D

Edited by Comet

On June 7, 2014, the day has been made with the addition of an amazing mega evolution to the roster: Mega Sceptile.

Grass/Dragon is a very cool typing, and grants Mega Sceptile good offensive options. Unfortunately, its weaknesses hurt it pretty damn hard (Looking at you, Ice type moves and Talonflame's priority Brave Bird/Acrobatics. Its ability is Lightningrod, which actually seems better than it sounds. It may grant Sceptile an immunity to one of its quad-resisitances, which might be a tad redundant, but the boost to its Special Attack is very nice, and I'm sure its Special Attack will be buffed considerably once we see its stat total. Also, its immune to Thunder Wave. Yes yes.

Oh, and Mega Swampert is also a thing. Swift Swim is nice, as well as it appearing it'll have some hefty bulk.

Rain Dance + Waterfall can be a pseudo Dragon Dance for Mega Swampert. On rain teams, Swampert can function as a set up sweeper that can return later on during a match to sweep, if Politoed manages to keep the rain up.

Sceptile is a conga line of middle fingers pointed directly towards Rotom-W. Just one properly predicted switch in towards Volt Switch can be disastrous for your opponent. Hopefully Sceptile gets a movepool update so he doesn't become a one trick pony.