X/Y Smogon Metagame Thoughts

ZemZem

I figured that Mega Banette was made as a reply to Dusclops getting an evo when Banette didn't, and that Mawile needed a boost to be on par with Sableye (though nowadays... Mawile is actually kind of better I suppose).

Mega Camerupt and Sharpedo would definitely be cool.

I dunno if we should expect the E4 to have megas, though... Only a VERY select few NPC chars in XY had Megas IIRC: Calem/Serena, Lysandre, Diantha, and Korrina (am I forgetting anyone?) I don't think too many of the NPCs will have them either...

....though if there's anyone that WOULD be bound to have a Mega Stone... I would think it would be one Steven Stone. >3>

...He could just have Aggron, though. No reason to jump to conclusions about new Megas with him.

Edited by BANRYU

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's totally fine too! o3o

Here, I'll throw in some of my desired Mega recipients as well: Flygon of course, also Tropius, Kecleon would be neat especially if it got Protean for the MegaEvo as well, Crawdaunt or Whiscash would be neat, and Altaria could definitely use the boost.

...Keep in mind too that they might not just be from Hoenn... XY's mega selection was all over the place as well, and if I had to guess, I'd wager that ORAS will give us plenty of non-Hoenn Pokemon as well, making non-Hoenn megaevos a distinct possibility too.

MegaDunsparce FTW

It'd be interesting if they threw in some gen 5-6 megas as well, assuming those aren't saved for the third version/7th gen.

....though if there's anyone that WOULD be bound to have a Mega Stone... I would think it would be one Steven Stone. >3>

...He could just have Aggron, though. No reason to jump to conclusions about new Megas with him.

Screw Mega-Aggron on Steven's team. Make it Mega-Metagross!

Yeah that's true lol. We got derailed with the ORAS announcement and stayed derailed even when the other threads were made, I guess.

So which tiers are y'all's favorites?

I like OU of course, but speaking from experience with past metagames, battles to get more thoughtful and interesting the lower down on the tiers you go. I also like Little Cup, though I haven't really played it seriously since Gen 4.

Some of Smogon's other metagames seem interesting to me. On that stands out is mergemons: each fully evolved Pokemon shares it's movepool with the Pokemon that comes before and after it alphabetically.

For example, Yanmega is between Xerneas and Yveltal, so it can run Geomancy and Oblivion Wing on the same set.

Metagross comes before Mew and gets all of its TM and Move Tutor moves.

Talonflame gets Sleep Powder, Brick Break and Power Whip thanks to Tangrowth.

Greninja gets Eruption, Play Rough and Close Combat among other moves thanks to Groudon and Granbull.

The thread isn't very active, but check it out.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/mergemons-xy-wobbuffet-banned-set-database-in-the-op.3497733/

But really there's not even a precedence for that, though. Is Medicham what you'd call a fan-favorite? Is Abomasnow? Neither of them (plus several others) strike me as being particularly 'popular', so that doesn't seem like the best barometer for this kind of thing either.

The Mega-Evolutions will probably only go to fan-favourites and Pokemon that are already OP instead of the Pokemon that actually need them. Unfortunately.

*cough*Blaziken*cough* But to be fair to GameFreak, Mawile, Medicham, Pinsir, and others did get much-needed Megas, despite not being favorites in the slightest. Some more neglecting Pokemon might get a boost soon.

However, since Mega Latios/Latias are still not available in X and Y, I'm led to suspect that there might not be any new Megas for OR/AS. It just doesn't make sense that Mega Latios/Latias would be in X and Y's coding, but all the other hypothetical OR/AS Megas wouldn't be. I would think it would be all or nothing. If they plan to just patch OR/AS Megas into X/Y, why bother putting Latios and Latias in at launch, when they could patch them in with all the rest? Patching all the Megas in would keep their existence secret from the prying eyes of hackers. Or if patching is too much work, why aren't ALL the ORAS Megas in X/Y's code? I can't imagine they didn't have the designs already. I don't think we should necessarily expect any more Megas in Gen VI.

Edited by Ragnell

I think we'll see a mix of popular pokemons and of pokemon that really needs the help, exactly like what they did in X/Y.

*cough*Blaziken*cough* But to be fair to GameFreak, Mawile, Medicham, Pinsir, and others did get much-needed Megas, despite not being favorites in the slightest. Some more neglecting Pokemon might get a boost soon.

However, since Mega Latios/Latias are still not available in X and Y, I'm led to suspect that there might not be any new Megas for OR/AS. It just doesn't make sense that Mega Latios/Latias would be in X and Y's coding, but all the other hypothetical OR/AS Megas wouldn't be. I would think it would be all or nothing. If they plan to just patch OR/AS Megas into X/Y, why bother putting Latios and Latias in at launch, when they could patch them in with all the rest? Patching all the Megas in would keep their existence secret from the prying eyes of hackers. Or if patching is too much work, why aren't ALL the ORAS Megas in X/Y's code? I can't imagine they didn't have the designs already. I don't think we should necessarily expect any more Megas in Gen VI.

Not including any new Megas would be a huge missed opportunity and would surely bring the ire of the pokemon community.

We can't assume that just because the Mega-Latis are in the code for X/Y that there won't be any new megas. For all we know, GF could have put them there as a teaser for R/S remakes.

Edited by LuxSpes

Yeah that's true lol. We got derailed with the ORAS announcement and stayed derailed even when the other threads were made, I guess.

So which tiers are y'all's favorites?

I like OU of course, but speaking from experience with past metagames, battles to get more thoughtful and interesting the lower down on the tiers you go. I also like Little Cup, though I haven't really played it seriously since Gen 4.

ORAS is love. ORAS is life.

My favorite has to be RU, since a good number of my favorite mons reside in that tier.

Some of Smogon's other metagames seem interesting to me. On that stands out is mergemons: each fully evolved Pokemon shares it's movepool with the Pokemon that comes before and after it alphabetically.

For example, Yanmega is between Xerneas and Yveltal, so it can run Geomancy and Oblivion Wing on the same set.

Metagross comes before Mew and gets all of its TM and Move Tutor moves.

Talonflame gets Sleep Powder, Brick Break and Power Whip thanks to Tangrowth.

Greninja gets Eruption, Play Rough and Close Combat among other moves thanks to Groudon and Granbull.

The thread isn't very active, but check it out.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/mergemons-xy-wobbuffet-banned-set-database-in-the-op.3497733/

Holy shit, that's really interesting. And quite cool.

I think we'll see a mix of popular pokemons and of pokemon that really needs the help, exactly like what they did in X/Y.

Not including any new Megas would be a huge missed opportunity and would surely bring the ire of the pokemon community.

We can't assume that just because the Mega-Latis are in the code for X/Y that there won't be any new megas. For all we know, GF could have put them there as a teaser for R/S remakes.

1) Agreed, Megas will probably be assorted and random. No new Megas might just result in boredom too, which is debatably worse. Thankfully I don't think we need to worry about that... Personally, the success of X and Y both commercially and in terms of designs gives me particularly high hopes for ORAS.

2) If anything, we should take the fact that MetaLati@s is in the game but unreleased as evidence that there'll be more Megas. Chances are good that we're gonna get the Mega Stones for them in ORAS, rather than through some kind of event.

ORAS is love. ORAS is life.

My favorite has to be RU, since a good number of my favorite mons reside in that tier.

Heh I like an awful lot of RUmons too. It's definitely up there for me, though I'm pretty bad at it. =3=

Dude that's super bizarre. I just might have to check that out... Kind of reminds me of the Delta Species cards.

Meta where hydreigon gets shell smash? sounds fun. Oh and Sableye thanks Salamence for defog access. Sticky Web Sigilyph sounds fun too. So much choises.

Volt Switch Heatran <3

Would Sacret Fire Honchkrow and Escavalier be things actually in need of aknowledging?

Shadow tag Smash pass Gothielle master race?

Oh... So Spore Ambipom is a thing now...

And lol they left Smeargle out. I suppose Snorlax not having EVERYTHING is a good thing

Edited by a.f.k.a. Howard Hughes

Other metas are really cool I've been in that bandwagon by some time, I miss Averagemons... Thank god Almost All Abilities is cool regen cores and aerielate dragonite everywhere

Edited by Hoenn

Torkoal and Exploud could really use some MegaEvos.

What kind of differences do you guys suppose the MegaEvos would have like in terms of stats and abilities?

I read an article on Smogon a while back that speculated on possibilities for other Megas (just for the fun of it), and one idea that stood out to me was Refrigerate MegaLapras. Ice-STABed Body Slams and Returns coming off of Curse/DD Lapras would be pretty cool... (pardon the pun lol)