I finally beat College

Took me almost four years to beat this stupid game, with occasional breaks a month or two long in between.

I played it on the English route because that seemed most fitting for me, but in the end I think the psychology route would have been better since there were some psychology-based side quests on the way and those were the most fun. Unfortunately, I did not S rank it (I got around a C rank), and I don't think I care enough to go back and do it all again for a higher score. It would take way too long and the game just doesn't have that kind of re-playability. About halfway through the game I did achieve a new ability called "Procrastination Proclamation," which, despite the ironic name, helped me sweep pretty easily through a lot of the quests from that point on. I'm pretty sure I'd retain it if I started a new game+, but meh. Not enough.

My version of the game was stupid and didn't support same-sex romance between students, so I avoided most of the romance triggers with other characters. I did let a few start just to see if they might go anywhere interesting, but none did, so I cut them off before they got too far because I didn't want to add that complication to the mix. The alternate ending just wasn't worth it. Instead I told myself I had a sweet relationship with someone off-campus, but since the game didn't support it, it was just my own headcanon.

If I hadn't been determined to beat it from the beginning, I don't think I would have. Sometimes it even seemed like it didn't want me to keep playing, because it would occasionally (every six months or so) have trouble booting up and I'd have to work around with administration privileges and other crap like that to get it running properly. The controls mostly worked fine, but some quests were really unclear as to how to actually win. I did complete all the important ones, though. The time system was also terrible, made it pretty hard to get everything done in a reasonable time frame and so I was constantly forced to reboot it and random times to make sure I got all the important gear and stat boosts. Then again, a lot of games these days do things like that to keep you playing, so it's hardly a surprise.

I describe it as though I hated it, and in a way I did, but I did beat it in the end. It was just one of those that frustrates you a lot and you criticize it to hell and back but it keeps bringing you back, anyway, because you know the ending will be worth it. And I must admit, it feels pretty good to have beaten this game.

6/10, only for the hardcore.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of buying this game soon. Probably gonna go the ARTS route, but I hear that's really hard for beginners.

Congratulation!

I just completed the Biology route of University myself, though the game is lagging and I'm waiting to see my score on the final quest.

Edited by LuxSpes

10/10 would read again

I chose the physics route and i'm halfway through it. The secondary objectives are a pain to complete sometimes and the final objectives are so stressful sometimes, it gets ridiculous.

Grats!

Current finishing my third year of playing both the Computer Science and Applied Math routes. Sometimes I play all night.

Edited by Thor Odinson

i'm about 3/4 of the way through the game, can you spoil the final year to me? i'm on the engineering route if that changes anything

[spoiler=final year spoilers]seriously, grats!

Congrats on beating it!

I'm almost at the point where I can transfer my save data over to a higher quality game game that's more specialized to my tastes. I still haven't gotten confirmation that the data transfer will go through correctly; if it fails I'm only going to be able to try again in another year; this part is probably the most suspenseful for me.

I beat it on the economics route. I also got a C rank. After that there weren't any games I stuck to for a long time, and at times my system crashed. I started a new runthrough on a much cheaper copy of college just last autumn, and so far I have an A-rank on that.

I'm almost at the point where I can transfer my save data over to a higher quality game game that's more specialized to my tastes. I still haven't gotten confirmation that the data transfer will go through correctly; if it fails I'm only going to be able to try again in another year; this part is probably the most suspenseful for me.

I was really pissed off that my level 3XX english literature characters didn't transfer over to my new version of college as a level 101 english character. I had to train a level 101 college composition character from scratch last semester to replace them. It was basically just a long grind, the enemies were super weak and I didn't have to kill very many, but the game stretched it out to take me about 4 months due to low encounter rates. Thankfully, most of the other characters I wanted in my party did transfer.

Congrats, are you planning on starting the sequel anytime soon?

I don't think so.

Forgot a few things: the final boss was underwhelming. It was one of the harder bosses, but a boss I fought about 75% of the way in was definitely harder. It's like the Black Knight vs Ashnard, in that Ashnard is tough but also kind of just a regular boss while the Black Knight is like, "Whoa, that's a boss."

My mother is actually one of the game devs so I was also able to get a copy for free. I still had to pay for the dlc, though, and this game is the worst with dlc. First of all, dlc that is necessary for completion sucks, but what's even worse about it in this game is that they tell you it's necessary and then half the time it isn't even necessary! But you don't know that until you've already bought it.

I was going to play this game pretty soon (except the Canadian version is called University), do you have any tips? Does it require a lot of grinding?

I don't think so.

Yeah, the sequel is a completely different story, it's on a whole different level to college. It's entirely possible to get stuck in the beginning and never really make progress until like a year or more later. And then you'll still get stuck in the main story. All the time.

But seriously, congrats on beating college XD

Yeah, the sequel is a completely different story, it's on a whole different level to college. It's entirely possible to get stuck in the beginning and never really make progress until like a year or more later. And then you'll still get stuck in the main story. All the time.

But seriously, congrats on beating college XD

Sounds like Maniac Mode. I dont blame her for not trying it. Plus all those hours of gameplay will eat your soul and you'll never see your friends.

I only played two years of college. I had to stop cuz i couldnt afford the DLC. :(:

Sounds like Maniac Mode. I dont blame her for not trying it. Plus all those hours of gameplay will eat your soul and you'll never see your friends.

I only played two years of college. I had to stop cuz i couldnt afford the DLC. :(:

Especially so if you end up playing the game at another state ;_;

This reminds me I need to restart and pick another route if I ever want to have a chance to beat this game. Well, in any case, congrats RFoF.

Especially so if you end up playing the game at another state ;_;

Man, thats rough. But the bragging rights!!! Especially if you finish it without a walkthrough!