can someone please double check the chapter 23x reqs

dondon151

hi folks,

conventional wisdom suggests that 700 EXP gained in chapter 23 is a requisite for accessing chapter 23x. i was doing a test run of chapter 23, and still managed to go to chapter 23x despite having only gained 642 EXP. assuming i didn't miscalculate, can someone corroborate the 700 EXP requirement?

Edited by dondon151

oh snap. that's interesting. now i want to check, but i don't have anything to check with so yea... pointless comment. carry on.

Edited by Rah

I've tried it. I set up the chapter so that I had 699 exp and just one boss left on 2 HP.

1. Killed him with Florina. Got sidequest

2. Let Pent kill him. Didn't get sidequest.

3. Priscilla used a barrier, then let Pent kill him. Got sidequest.

Dondon is in HHM, so it might be that. Maybe it's because the game forgets to check the new HHM decreased exp? Im sure 600 something exp in HHM would be a lot more in HNM

Edited by PKL

I have a HHM file on C22 atm; I can check sometime this weekend. Is there a specific percentage of how much less EXP enemies give in HHM? I know it's like 5 levels less or something but does that translate equally for every enemy unit at the end? That way I can check directly against that value rather than some arbitrary value under 700.

If your unit's level is less than the enemy's level, you get the same amount of experience in Hard modes as in Normal modes.

There's a "Mode coefficient" that activates on Normal modes but not on Hard Modes. Essentially, if your level is greater than or equal to the enemy's level, there is a penalty to the experience you get; on Eliwood and Hector Normal modes, that penalty is halved, and on Lyn modes or Hard modes it isn't. (http://serenesforest.net/fe7/calc.html)

So no, there is no specific percentage of how much less EXP enemies give in HHM (or EHM, for that matter). It depends on how much higher your unit's level is than the enemy's.

I've been wondering... is it possible that the gaiden requirements have nothing to do with experience gained, and instead it depends on how many enemy units you've killed compared to how many units Pent has killed?

Edited by Paper Jam

I've been wondering... is it possible that the gaiden requirements have nothing to do with experience gained, and instead it depends on how many enemy units you've killed compared to how many units Pent has killed?

baldrick's test disproves that hypothesis.

This leads to two possibilities in my mind:

1. The gaiden requirement is different for HHM.

2. The mode coefficient has something to do with it. Perhaps a EHM run is in order?

2. The mode coefficient has something to do with it. Perhaps a EHM run is in order?

My LTC run for EHM is in Ch22, I guess I could test it...when I feel like it.

Dondon is in HHM

I love how we don't even need to bother asking dondon what mode he's in. We can just assume the hardest difficulty and be right 99% of the time

if someone can get me the offset of the asm routine i'll debug it later

EndingScene:

MUEN 2

ASMC 0x79B5D

MUS1 0x38

STAL 60

FADI 4

HIDEMAP

ASMC 0x7A869

BACG 0x51

FADU 4

SHOWMAP

IFEF 0x1 0x7

TEX1 0xC3D

FADI 16

HIDEMAP

IFEF 0x12 0x81

CUSI 0x22 0x0

ENIF 0x12

BACG 0x51

FADU 16

SHOWMAP

ENIF 0x1

TEXTIFEM 0xC3E 0xC3F

IFAF 0x5 0x7D325

IFAF 0x5 0x79EFD

FADI 4

HIDEMAP

_0x87

BACG 0x5B

FADU 128

SHOWMAP

STAL 2

ASMC 0x15591

TEX6 0x7 [0,0] 0xC40

_ASM0x42 0x83181

_0x89

IFYN 0x5

GOTO label44

_0x9A

MUEN 1

FADI 16

HIDEMAP

ASMC 0x7A8B9

BACG 0x51

FADU 16

SHOWMAP

MUS1 0x3AE

TEX1 0xC41

FADI 4

HIDEMAP

BACG 0x5B

MNCH 0x1E

I've put the relevant information from ch. 23's events in the spoiler box. I don't know which is the exact routine though. Try the ones that are bolded and underlined.

well, what i was actually looking for was this, the ones you highlighted are all "do something" routines (in C terms, those are all void methods; i'm looking for the boolean one)

well, what i was actually looking for was this, the ones you highlighted are all "do something" routines (in C terms, those are all void methods; i'm looking for the boolean one)

So in layman's terms, those instructions happen regardless and are not conditional, and therefore irrelevant? What's weird is that I set breakpoints on all of those offsets of the ones I underlined, but the game never broke during the end scene. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong...

some of them are within the condition clause itself but it's the IFAT/IFAF (IF Asm True/False) commands that we're interested in as that specifies the actual condition.

are you setting the break on the exact offset specified or are you subtracting one (to four-align it) and setting a break on that? all of those routines have the last bit set to specify THUMB mode; it doesn't literally mean "begin execution one byte over"

Edited by CT075

are you setting the break on the exact offset specified or are you subtracting one (to four-align it) and setting a break on that? all of those routines have the last bit set to specify THUMB mode; it doesn't literally mean "begin execution one byte over"

I wasn't sure so I set breakpoints on both actually (subtracting one and the Thumb mode one). By setting breakpoints, I mean that I clicked on the line of code in the left hand main window of the debugger on no$gba. Yet, still the game never stopped from the end of the chapter to the next chapter, which is why I think I must have done something wrong.

this is probably not the problem but to break a thumb routine i think you have to be on thumb mode to begin with

i honestly have no idea (nor do i think that debugging those routines would be worthwhile anyway) - one of them is some kind of alignment fixing code or something for the brown scroll textbox, for example (this was discovered empirically).

EDIT

8L6XW.png

courtesy of vba disassembly

0x2BB is 699, bgt is "branch greater than" -> magic number is definitely 700

i didn't bother stepping through with a real debugger yet so i don't know if there's any magic involved behind the actual exp number though

Edited by CT075

I think this happens from hard mode cutting into your exp gain. It probably calculates the chapter requirements with normal mode exp equations instead of the hard mode ones. So it's not based on the exp gained but the assumed exp gained.