WORLD CUP 2014

Parrhesia

As squads start to be announced (Brazil and Argentina have already narrowed it to their final 23) the World Cup approaches. A while out yet but... no harm in starting the build-up and #banterzone a little early, eh?

This looks set to be a great world cup, largely because the only other world cup I've seen all of and properly remember was 2010, which was defined by the fucking beachball they used, both of last years' finalists being shit (which I hope happens this time around, not going to lie!) and fucking vuvuzelas.

This world cup is set to feature;

+ Jozy Altidore unironically being picked for the USA

+ No Tahiti

+ The infamous Group of 75% Death consisting of Spain, Holland, Chile and straya

+ England crashing out in the first round

+ A Brazil squad with no decent strikers being touted as favourites because they beat Spain once, which is why Switzerland are also favourites

+ Seriously though it's Germany's year.

+ CAMEROON

I announce that as An Australian I am cautiously optimistic about us picking up Two (2) points. Two (2).

THIS IS HOW THE TOURNAMENT WILL FINISH

0da2fc924b51f8d96481ccd0629df5e2.png

Edited by Parrhesia

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oi I'm English.

Apparently it's going to be too hot for us to play, so while I'd usually be more optimistic about us getting out of this group (because Italy and Uruguay aren't exactly BEST OF THE BEST either) conditions favour them more.

That said group C isn't very threatening so if we manage to hold our own in the conditions then it's reasonable to think we can get to the quarter finals. I guess for the sake of optimism I'll bet we'll get there, but being realistic we probably won't get further than that.

Graham Arnold, recently appointed manager of Sydney FC, is claiming that Australia's 22-year old No. 1 Mat Ryan (best goalkeeper in the Belgian league, for what it's worth) is getting looked at by Real Madrid. Literally no proof was cited. I fucking love Graham Arnold.

Fuck, though, I want to see that on our roster. Just looking down all the clubs. "Yeah, yeah, some guys in the 2nd Bundesliga... Melbourne Victory... free agent... Real Madrid... Swindon Town..."

Edited by Parrhesia

To be honest I am very sceptical about the safety arrangements and climatic conditions for the players and viewers. It is horrible to play football games in the tropical zone. The health is endangered because of tropical diseases. Another problem are the social abuses in :Brazil: , which overshadowed the preparations.

But Qatar will be even worse...

I have read today, that Iran footballers aren't allowed to change their jerseys with opponents, just beause Iran has not enough of them. Well, I think there is a different reason...

As squads start to be announced (Brazil and Argentina have already narrowed it to their final 23) the World Cup approaches. A while out yet but... no harm in starting the build-up and #banterzone a little early, eh?

This looks set to be a great world cup, largely because the only other world cup I've seen all of and properly remember was 2010, which was defined by the fucking beachball they used, both of last years' finalists being shit (which I hope happens this time around, not going to lie!) and fucking vuvuzelas.

This world cup is set to feature;

+ Jozy Altidore unironically being picked for the USA Good news!

+ No Tahiti That's pity. At least Trinidad + Tobago were in a world cup.

+ The infamous Group of 75% Death consisting of Spain, Holland, Chile and straya Tot ziens :Netherlands::smug:

+ England crashing out in the first round Hihi, I hope so! The chances are not bad with Uruguay and :Italy: in the same group.

+ A Brazil squad with no decent strikers being touted as favourites because they beat Spain once, which is why Switzerland are also favourite :Switzerland:has some good footballers. They can success a surprise.

+ Seriously though it's Germany's year. Everyone said that before every world cup past 1990! And we never won a world cup since that and I don't expect it in 2014 as well.

+ CAMEROON has a very difficult group.

I announce that as An Australian I am cautiously optimistic about us picking up Two (2) points. Two (2).

Edited by MisterIceTeaPeach

+ England crashing out in the first round

And yet I'll still need to hear about how England are the best and how it's going to be another 1966 all over again, like a broken record.

Not that Scotland can even qualify, but they NEVER shut up about it.

I actually really like Holland/Netherlands, but their play last time at the final was really poor.

(also I'm been trying to get into Football Manager again and wow I'm terrible)

Edited by Tryhard

And yet I'll still need to hear about how England are the best and how it's going to be another 1966 all over again, like a broken record.

Seriously, I don't know a single person who would say this once, let alone over and over again. If you said you're sick of hearing us complain about our team not performing "as well as they should" then fair enough, but there's little to no optimism about us winning anymore so I'm pretty sure the crowd you hang out with is in the minority.

Edited by kirsche

Seriously, I don't know a single person who would say this once, let alone over and over again. If you said you're sick of hearing us complain about our team not performing "as well as they should" then fair enough, but there's little to no optimism about us winning anymore so I'm pretty sure the crowd you hang out with is in the minority.

It's not the crowd I hang out with, it's the English media more so than anything else, and considering I need to watch English commenters to even see the world cup, it gets tiring.

(And yes, I'm fully aware that many English people don't have a lot of confidence in their team)

so much so Irn-Bru mocked it.

irnbru66.jpg?w=420&h=315

Edited by Tryhard

+ A Brazil squad with no decent strikers being touted as favourites because they beat Spain once,

Brazil's manager won the 2002 WC and he is very optimistic he can do it again (also, we're playing at home, you just have no idea of how big of an advantage that is.)

And saying Brazil has no strikers is just dumb, Brazil has lots of strikers but our best CF is really injury prone (just like Ronaldo was in 2002).

+ Seriously though it's Germany's year.

They won't win a competition until they get rid of their terrible manager.

Now what i think will happen in the WC:

- Either Argentina, Brazil or Italy (if they decide to play Verratti and Immobile) will win it.

- Belgium and Bosnia herzegovina will be the big surprises (never ever understimate Miralem Pjanic and Eden Hazard, i'd tip Belgium to win it if they had good Full backs).

- France is not bad, they almost didn't qualify but they have a decent team.

- Spain's tiki-taka is nearing it's end, and Del Bosque just doesn't know how good David Silva is.

- The US might end the WC with three defeats (if they lose to ghana they will).

- Colombia has possibly their greatest team ever (if only Falcao wasn't injured).

- Croatia will be second in their group and have one of the best midfields in the world (when Rakitic is playing, that is).

- Netherlands's team is good, not better than last WC. But their Keeper Tim Krul can really make the difference.

- Portugal has a pretty good team, i hope they decide to bring Quaresma to the WC.

- Ivory Coast's Yaya Toure will show why he is one of the best players in the world.

- England is just not going very far in this one, but Joe Hart will not concede stupid goals like green did last WC.

- I can see Chile going far in this one.

- Argentina's keeper Romero is a disaster waiting to happen.

Brazil's manager won the 2002 WC and he is very optimistic he can do it again (also, we're playing at home, you just have no idea of how big of an advantage that is.)

And saying Brazil has no strikers is just dumb, Brazil has lots of strikers but our best CF is really injury prone (just like Ronaldo was in 2002).

They won't win a competition until they get rid of their terrible manager.

How is Oliver Bierhoff terrible?

How is Oliver Bierhoff terrible?

I mean Joachim Low. Someone who only won one trophy in both his playing and Coaching Career is not going to win a World Cup.

Which media is doing this because I'm still doubtful that this is really happening.

This was the pre-match talk the Germany game in 2010. It's pretty delusional, even after poor performances. Also look at the comments on this video on youtube. I'm sure there's more videos of pre-match games or such, I can post them if you want more.

Unfortunately it's hard to find pre-tournament broadcasts, I'm not sure where to find them, but the hype up to the world cup was all England. They even had Bobby Charlton come on to say that he believed England have a good chance of winning the entire thing. There was a huge campaign of hype up to the world cup from fans and commenters on various news channels. I've never heard the year 1966 mentioned so much.

That said, it seems like there is less this year, which is good, but I imagine there is going to be indulging in hyperbole once again.

You'll either have to take my word for it or dismiss me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Tryhard

I mean Joachim Low. Someone who only won one trophy in both his playing and Coaching Career is not going to win a World Cup.

It has nothing to do, if someone was not that successful as footballer or club coach in his past. I think, he is a great coach.

He doesn't have the winning mentality that great coaches have. That's what makes the difference in a cup competition. To me the biggest reason why Brazil are favourites is the experience on winning Scolari has. And you think Low isn't a bad coach but if he doesn't win this WC he might end up not winning a single title with one of the best generations of german football ever.

Edited by viyut

- Either Argentina, Brazil or Italy (if they decide to play Verratti and Immobile) will win it.

the only immobile striker in this world cup is an American though

I think a big team will crash out in the first round and it will be Spain, also Holland and Big Mile will bring the World Cup home

Edited by Parrhesia

i forgot this wasn't fftf and you aren't allowed to double post!

(i mean I could claim it was an internet hiccup but probably not when the posts are seven fucking minutes apart)

Edited by Parrhesia

it was really very nice to see atletico win the liga but seeing diego costa crying on the bench was heartbreaking. poor motherfucker's at what would be the high point of his career and he's injured.

also bump. what up yall, how's about group predictions or whatever sound

I dont think it was heartbreaking, personally i think it's more of a divine punishment than anything else, since Diego Costa had played for the Brazilian NT before the Spanish NT called him but since that match was only a friendly he opted to play for the Spanish NT instead (note that he isn't spanish nor his parents/grandparents were spanish so he should never, ever be allowed to play for the spanish NT).

I also think most Brazilians dont feel any kind of pity for him. It's just like Scolari said:

"A Brazilian player who refuses to wear the Brazilian shirt and to play in a World Cup in his country is automatically removed [from my list] . He is turning his back to a dream of millions of people, to represent our NT, the five time world cup champions in a world cup on Brazil."

Edited by viyut

diego forlan's time to shine imo

Necktie what are your thoughts on ENGLAND, is it coming home

The funny thing is England's chances of not crashing out in the first round have been massively helped by Manchester United tanking, this way they're not taking garbagemen like Cleverley and Carrick along... but Welbeck and a couple other guys are still around fsr so it's not perfect.

Adam Johnson should have been on the plane imo, he's streaky as shit but if you're the best player in the entire Premiership for two months why not gamble he'll have another such month

Edited by Parrhesia

also bump. what up yall, how's about group predictions or whatever sound

alright I'll give it a shot with my total ignorance of the qualifiers and prediction skills.

Group A:

Brazil

Croatia

Mexico

CAMEROON

Group B:

Spain

Netherlands

Chile

'Straya

Group C:

Colombia

Greece

Ivory Coast

Japan

Group D:

England (England will either do good or poorly in the group, I'm gonna put them as leaders but it could go badly for them.)

Italy (if they are poor like last time, maybe Uruguay instead.)

Uruguay (with no Suarez)

COSTA RICA

Group E:

Switzerland (from what I understand they have a strong team and good in Qualifying)

France (not if it's like last time, though)

Ecuador

Honduras

Group F:

Argentina

Bosnia & Herzegovina

Nigeria

Iran

Group G:

Germany

Portugal

USA

Ghana

Group H:

Belgium

Russia

Korea

Algeria

I think I took pretty safe bets mostly, but yeah. Germany look really strong to win the entire thing for me, though.

Edited by Tryhard