I got a save dongle for this game (and no, I'm not planning on doing anything illegal with it only backing up and restoring these game saves). I wanted to test it out and see if it was safe, so I tried it on MK7. I backed up my sav file, and tried to restore it with the same sav file just to see if it restored properly. It didn't restore, and just said something about it failing to do so. After that I tried playing it and it said the data was corrupted and deleted it. I don't really care, because although I beat all the ghosts and got all the karts, I didn't plan on playing MK7 again even since I lost a tournament because of items (would have won if blue shell on the last course didn't screw me over). Now, I'm super skeptical about backing up this game and restoring it (since I have over 200 hours into my main game, and also didn't really care about MK7). Does anyone have experience with this? Also can you backup and restore FE:A saves? Thanks in advance.

You don't move the dongle. Like at all.

And the first thing you have to pray for is that you don't screw up backing it up the first time.

I have so many saves it's not even funny.

TwvGjlP.png

What do you mean you don't move it? Also that means that FE:A can back up and restore (or restore downloaded saves and play restored saves without data corruption) game saves? Do you need a specific firmware? Thanks a lot ShadowofChaos.

Edited by ILoveLucy

As long as you have the cartridge, it works.

You can back up and restore saves just fine with Awakening.

I have a save for pretty much... everything, really.

Like so:

I mean... the only ones that don't work are Animal Crossing and Pokemon.

I also have this hardware.

I don't know why it can't backup MK7 properly. But it does not backup MK7 properly.

It works on FE:A.

It works on Rune Factory 4 too. But the dumped save's size is not correct - 1MB.

Forgot to mention that since the save encryption hasn't been cracked, your dumped save is locked to its own cartridge.

Edited by MelonGx

Hey guys, I managed to backup a save of my FE: A today, but it wouldn't allow me to restore the save. It said send data to device fail, and I didn't touch it or anything. Am I doing something wrong? BTW, I'm using r4i savedongle v1.5 and it says it can detect the card and everything. I think the dumped save size is correct @512K correct? It's a SAV file so I'm unsure why it isn't restoring. Is my r4i save dongle just broken? Thanks everyone in advance.

Edited by ILoveLucy

First, confirm that your Save Dongle's FW is 1.3. If not, upgrade it.

Second, make sure your OS is XP or Win7. Someone said that the software didn't work well on Windows 8.1.

Then, prevent any bad contact.

If all the above don't work, it might be driver problem. Use the Save Dongle on another PC.

If it still don't work, then I have no idea.

I have another backup hardware which comes much more later. It is:

A 3DS console with FW 4.x, cracked by a 3DS flashcart "Gateway" 's Blue Card, and installed "Gateway" ver. 2.2 Launcher.dat on 3DS console's SD card root directory.

The "Gateway" ver. 2.2 Launcher.dat bundled the retail cart save backup function. It works on all games except CARD2 games (e.g. Pokemon XY), 128KB save chip games (e.g. NSMB2) and new games with 6.0.0-15 encryption (e.g. Dragon Quest Monsters 2).

You don't need to buy the "Gateway" product to execute it. You just need to make the Launcher.dat workable and you'll automatically have the backup function.

This can be much more reliable than Save Dongle I think. Because it's up to date.

Edited by MelonGx

Thanks a lot everyone. I was able to backup and restore my game successfully on Windows 7 (I should probably think of dual-booting from now on, because Windows 8 I just hate).

You don't move the dongle. Like at all.

And the first thing you have to pray for is that you don't screw up backing it up the first time.

I have so many saves it's not even funny.

TwvGjlP.png

Lol, those file names, doe. I guess three save file slots weren't enough lol.

Edited by Jacien

Lol, those file names, doe. I guess three save file slots weren't enough lol.

The hell it wasn't. xD

I have indiviudal saves... like sometimes 3 copies (because I'm paranoid) for things like this:

Sometimes each save file doesn't back up properly. It's nice to have a second (the "[filename] backup.sav" flies) one just in case.

Windows 8.1 user here, and I can confirm that it doesn't work from PC -> Card on this OS. But can extract no problem (I'm assuming, I'm holding onto the save file for later).

I tested out my save dongle also (using an Animal Crossing cart whose town I've abandoned a long time ago). Same error when trying to bring it back to the card.

I don't have a Windows 7 device handy, but I'll test it out as soon as possible. My birthday is next Saturday so maybe I'll ask for a laptop? (then install W7 on it lol).

Oi. Animal Crossing doesn't work.

Even if you back it up and restore it.

There's some data that is saved somewhere, possibly the SD card or 3DS system itself.

If the save timestamp and something else (maybe a checksum) don't match, it deletes your file.

Because dumping money in your friend's town, then restoring save to get said money back.

They made anti-save dongle countermeasures for "unauthorized games" like the built-in save backup feature in the digital games for the 3DS.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Heh, oh well. I plan to delete that town later anyway.

But from the two sources I've found on Google, the R4i save dongle doesn't work PC to Card on 8/8.1. Tried to use my old laptop, but the HDD is shot and it's slow as hell anyway (literally a 10 year old laptop).

Welp, back to grinding renown. 20k more to go!

But speaking of FE:A. I could back up the save, transfer to the console, then restore the save onto the retail cart and things'll be fine, right?

Edited by Jacien

@shadowofchaos

Animal Crossing is a CARD2 game which saves the savedata inside the ROM.

So does Pokemon XY.

The method of extracting CARD2 save is dump the ROM and use a CARD2 save extractor. But the save is encrypted either.

FE:A is a traditional CARD1 game.

So I just used Windows 8.1 on my desktop to back up a save, then used Windows 7 on my laptop to restore it, and it worked fine.

Phew, now I have the initial save file backed up! (Max renown).

When my second DS comes out, I'll have FE:A installed digitally on that one, transfer my save file and use it to send StreetPass fully loaded with items not sold normally!

Unless you know how to decrypt Awakening's saves, I don't think that's as simple as taking the save file from the dongle and putting it in the right place on your SD card.

Nah, it's using the 3DS app to transfer a save from a cart to the SD card for the digital version. But since I have the save backed up on my computer, I can restore it to the cart, then go to the other 3DS with the save. I now have two copies with the same save file.

Unless you know how to decrypt Awakening's saves, I don't think that's as simple as taking the save file from the dongle and putting it in the right place on your SD card.

Nah, it's using the 3DS app to transfer a save from a cart to the SD card for the digital version. But since I have the save backed up on my computer, I can restore it to the cart, then go to the other 3DS with the save. I now have two copies with the same save file.

That's exactly what I did here:

That's exactly what I did here:

That's basically where I thought of it from. I figured it out when we spoke about the transfer app the one time.

• 1 month later...