Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken came out on Japan's Wii U Virtual Console today

OrangeCrush980

Its probable, considering Awakenings surge of popularity for the series may get people interested in Blazing Sword again.

Then again its FE and it may not happen.

The better question is why the hell those GBA games aren't on the 3DS.

because Nintendo

One of the features of the 3DS Virtual Console is to allow the user to use sleep mode, save states, streetpassing while playing these VC games. Unfortunately the ambassador 3DS GBA games don't do any of that even though it literally says virtual console on there.

4mWPub9.jpg

The reason why the GBA games don't any of these 3DS features is that it doesn't run on emulators, it runs the GBA games in Nintendo DS/DSi mode with Gameboy Advance Backward Compatibility mode.

One would ask well why don't they make it run on emulators then and then we can have all those virtual console experience with save states, street passing? The most likely reason is the game performance is probably not that good as some of us have it believed as. After all you are emulating the hardware. One may argue about the PSP emulating GBA games but that's for another debate.

Now you might be thinking well then why don't they just release the VC GBA games like they are currently are for running backward compatibility mode? Well if they did a lot of players won't be happy that they can't streetpass or go in sleep mode while playing these games. I know I certainly didn't when I realized while playing Fire Emblem Sacred Stones and Mario Advance on my 3DS and wondered why my mii plaza was empty.

Now some people won't really care about 3DS streetpassing or any of that stuff which is fine but only if you say only care about playing the old games. However if you release it to the majority of the 3DS users, you will have a lot of people whining about why these features aren't available. So in the end, it's better to isolate it to a small group of people rather than have the majority of the players who can't use any of the marketed 3DS features.

In the end, the best solution to actually play these titles is to release them like what they are as ambassador games in backward compatibility mode but the tough reality is that the awesome features of the NES and Gameboy VC that can enhance the gaming experience with save states, restoration points and have the ability to play with 3DS features are not there. Nintendo probably wants to release it as a complete experience rather than have a half competed feature product.

I personally wouldn't mind letting people have my ambassador games since I don't even play most of them since I already played the majority of them already. Do you want a product that can't even use any of the features that was advertised and have it run 100% perfectly or have the product perform poorly but have the features that are advertised. The best solution of course is to fix the performance of the emulator however that will take time and probably not worth their investment. But honestly, you will have to question Nintendo on this issue.

Edited by kingddd

One would ask well why don't they make it run on emulators then and then we can have all those virtual console experience with save states, street passing? The most likely reason is the game performance is probably not that good as some of us have it believed as. After all you are emulating the hardware. One may argue about the PSP emulating GBA games but that's for another debate.

adding additional features like streetpass and spotpass to old gba games might be challenging, but we've been able to emulate 99% of gba games properly with typical emulator functions for years now, since the original ds, actually. (though, gba emulation on ds phat/ds lite is easier for the system to handle if you have the right configuration.) the 3ds is the most powerful handheld to date. i'm convinced that nintendo doesn't find gba emulation a profitable venture on the 3ds. at least not yet.

Well, if it's any consolation, smealum has gotten custom VC titles to work on the 3DS already, and demonstrated swapping out ROMs for various games. So in the future, there'll probably be a homebrew method to launch whatever titles you'd like. It looks like most VC titles are still a generic container with a ROM and an emulator packaged together.

Wiikey U is also apparently close to being finished and ready for the public, so there's front on homebrew there, too.

The better question is why the hell those GBA games aren't on the 3DS.

Japan is questionable sometimes.

I would personally like to see a remake of 4 on the 3DS. One of my favorite FEs next to 7. But I do agree that Nintendo needs to put some of the GBA titles on the 3DS.

Edited by Shades