Units worth leveling up and promoting?

I just started this game, and I was wondering which units are preferred amongst the rest to level up and promote.

SO far, I have just been leveling up Marth, Cain, and Abel.

I'm about to finish up the Prologues.

Thanks for any answers.

Worth your time/worth using: Marth, Cain/Abel/Frey, Jagen, Caeda, Barst, Ogma, Lena, Wolf, Sedgar, Hardin, Wendell, Merric, Athena (if you get her somehow), Roger (decent), Minerva, Jake, Boah, Horace, Beck, Palla, Catria

Scrub alert, do not use: Radd, Tomas, Maria, Lorenz

The rest should also all be trainable.

So then...She's almost like a requirement to level up.

I'm going to assume that it doesn't matter for everyone else?

No, not a requirement, I usually go through the game without her.

The first characters you get for each class are more often the better characters, Ogma is the best mercenary, the first set of cavaliers are the best cavaliers, Lena's the best cleric, Julian's the best thief, etc. The pegasus knights Palla and Catria are exceptions, and other characters are still useful sometimes.

(this is just from my experience.)

Edited by Knight

The pegasus knights Palla and Catria are exceptions

What?

Like, most people agree Shiida is the best character in the game õ.o

EDIT: oh, I think I might have misread your post. You meant they were good, not that they're better than Shiida, right? If so, never mind.

Edited by Nobody

Wouldn't Navarre be good also?

Yeah, Navarre is better than any of the other myrmidons IMO.

What?

Like, most people agree Shiida is the best character in the game õ.o

EDIT: oh, I think I might have misread your post. You meant they were good, not that they're better than Shiida, right? If so, never mind.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Although take away Caeda's weapon, and she's basically the same thing as the peg. trio except with shitty damage output.

I just got to Chapter 6. Currently leveling up: Marth, Frey, Abel, Cain, Caeda, Navarre, Draug, Merric and Lena.

I received Wolf and Sedgar and I've heard that those units are really good. Should I reclass them?

Am I leveling up too many units?

I received Wolf and Sedgar and I've heard that those units are really good. Should I reclass them?

Yeah. They're probably easiest to level up as generals in the beginning, as the massive Def base of that class will cover for their inexistent own stats, especially on the harder difficulties. Once they've got a few levels under their belt, however, you can reclass them to something more convenient. They work pretty well as heroes or berserkers.

That's not a bad setup, although I would have used Barst and Cord in place of Navarre and Draug. Wolf and Sedgar have low bases considering they're already promoted, but their growth rates are through the roof. Hero is a pretty good class for them.

You have Frey on your team which means you're playing normal mode. Normal is quite easy, so I wouldn't worry too much about trying to get the strongest team possible. Your current setup looks pretty solid to me.

The prologues? You can use basically anyone in normal mode, just use who you like! :)

So is having Draug still good, if I promote Wolf and Sedgar to Generals?

I skimmed through the thread and no one mentioned any favorable things about Draug, but I used him for his Def.

Draug would probably be rendered obsolete if you changed Wolf and Sedgar (or even just one of the two) in generals, although you could always reclass him to something else. Fighter and hunter come to mind as solid class choices for Draug, though keep in mind his defense growth will be nonexistent in either of these classes. I would not recommend making Sedgar a general because his defense growth is overkill no matter what class he's assigned.

I wouldn't bother making Sedgar a general at all. Making him a hero gives him decent offense right off the bat, something he'll lack for a while as a general. Making Wolf a general and then a berserker seems a bit odd since you end up losing any weapon levels he may have gained as a general. Making him a warrior later would allow him to maintain his bow rank, although that comes at the expense of 10 crt and water movement (the latter of which I seem to remember being kind of handy).

Edited by Starman

Worth your time/worth using: Marth, Cain/Abel/Frey, Jagen, Caeda, Barst, Ogma, Lena, Wolf, Sedgar, Hardin, Wendell, Merric, Athena (if you get her somehow), Roger (decent), Minerva, Jake, Boah, Horace, Beck, Palla, Catria

Scrub alert, do not use: Radd, Tomas, Maria, Lorenz

The rest should also all be trainable.

This is a Normal run. It's the most lenient mode, so everyone is usable, in just about any class. Therefore, train whoever you think is cute or something.

The prologues? You can use basically anyone in normal mode, just use who you like! :)

Yeah, seriously. I thought people were recommending for an H5 run for a second there.

if you're playing normal mode, they don't need to be generals at all.

Yeah, they ORKO as heroes.

Wrys and Lena are pretty close as far as their stats are concerned, but Lena's staff rank starts out at C while Wrys has to work his way up from E. There's no way Wrys is going to match Lena's staff rank in two chapters.

Edited by Starman

How does Wrys compare to Lena?

Not even close. Wrys's advantage is that he is your only healer for 2 chapters and he has sexy hair. Lena wins everything else.

Edited by PKL

Wrys really only has one chapter on Lena. Chapter 1 is just about over by the time you get to his village.

He's like, invaluable because he heals Jagen so he can take on that awful boss quicker though ;). So even if its just a few turns, he's a healer and he comes in handy. At least in higher difficulties.

Edited by PKL

He's like, invaluable because he heals Jagen so he can take on that awful boss quicker though ;). So even if its just a few turns, he's a healer and he comes in handy. At least in higher difficulties.

Costs 1 turn. Trash tier.