Sunshine

Nino is a balanced magical unit with excellent growths and much room for growing. She can support with a variety of decent units! Nino can even support Merlinus, a unit who won't take any space up, and who can take the blows for her/dodge while she takes enemies down!

Nino comes on levels that are filled with enemies that she is able to finish off after being weakened. Especially on cog of destiny, where the promoted generals will go down with a finishing blow of elfire after weakening themselves on your units during the enemy phase. Whereas Pent comes with great bases, his growths aren't that great; and he can be outclassed by more difficult enemies later on in the game. Erk is dependable and a classic middle road approach, however he can be RNG screwed very easily because of it. In my opinion, Nino has a very high output after a couple of levels. Her low con being trivialized by her high base speed and 60% growth, as well as her decent base magic (In comparison to enemy resistance) and her 50% Magic growth.

Besides Merlinus, Nino can support with Canas to get an excellent boost to her attack and general survivability (Defense and evasion), or Erk, who increases her chance of criticals in exchange for no attack bonus. With this, Nino will be able to stay on the rear line and take out enemies from behind the walls of a chokepoint such as Hector or Oswin. At the same time, ranged units will not often be able to get to her with more than one unit unless she kills the ranged attacker or another one comes with something such as siege tomes or long bows.

In my opinion, I find that Nino is a decent unit that can be trained very well, and I don't think that she's too much of a liability when compared to the pegasus knights which are almost completely outclassed by the Wyvern knights; Nino can hold her own as a magic unit and as a unit in general. I feel she should be used more often than I've seen. What do you think?

Edit: Debating is fine, saying that she just isn't your style is fine. Just please don't argue.

Edited by Marek

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i always use nino like i always use karel, it's just the constant in my fe7 universe

*squints*

*takes spectacles off, squints harder*

You must understand, I've been here too long, the things people have said about people who say good things about Nino have blended together in my mind with whatever they (we) may have actually said

I truly cannot tell if jokey

*squints*

*takes spectacles off, squints harder*

You must understand, I've been here too long, the things people have said about people who say good things about Nino have blended together in my mind with whatever they (we) may have actually said

I truly cannot tell if jokey

This thread is purely for me to gauge people's opinions on Nino. FE 7 is one of my favorites, definitely in my top 4. I personally disliked Nino as a person, so I didn't use her at first; instead, I used Erk (Pent didn't seem good enough at the time in comparison to my Erk on that fateful first playthrough). Nino's really good when you give her a chance though. Too bad there's not too many opportunities for things such as Link Arena battles anymore.

Edit: Also, as an Est, I find her to be one of the better ones, barring Pelleas, Kurth, and Ewan, though that might have to do with the games they're in too.

Edited by Marek

Nino is a balanced magical unit with excellent growths and much room for growing.

Disagree. She has about 6 or so chapters left before the end of the game when she joins. Hardly any room for growth at all.

She can support with a variety of decent units! Nino can even support Merlinus, a unit who won't take any space up, and who can take the blows for her/dodge while she takes enemies down!

Her support list is pretty poor, and are largely going to be irrelevant. Her fastest and likely best support, Jaffar, takes 18 turns to reach C and 27/54 more to reach B/A. Considering how much game is left after she joins, that's probably not going to be much supporting by the end of the game, especially if you consider Jaffar might well spend a lot of time running around, opening chests and stuff and not just sitting next to Nino. Florina is a decent support, except Florina may well have capped her supports by now, the support takes 40/80/120 turns to get anywhere, their movements are completely different and it would hinder Florina to keep the two together, so, uh, that one isn't happening. What else is in the support list? Erk would be two Mages, which might happen, but he's also super slow. Merlinus, slow, Merlinus can't always be deployed, and until he promotes is stationery. Next. Legault, see Jaffar. Canas, see Erk except he's a little more viable due to a faster support, but still pretty slow. Rebecca is bad.

So her support list has, what, one maybe and a few non-viables. Now bearing in mind most characters don't cap out supports by the end of a typical playthrough anyway and have supports at least as fast... yeah, it doesn't look good for Nino.

Nino comes on levels that are filled with enemies that she is able to finish off after being weakened. Especially on cog of destiny, where the promoted generals will go down with a finishing blow of elfire after weakening themselves on your units during the enemy phase.

This is true, but it requires hindering yourself on what's generally considered one of the hardest chapters in the game, setting up kills for Nino so that she can gain some EXP to help later. Until she's stronger, she needs to be carefully protected and the enemies here are strong.

Whereas Pent comes with great bases, his growths aren't that great; and he can be outclassed by more difficult enemies later on in the game.

This just isn't true. level 20 Pent is pretty comparable to 20/15 Nino - slightly worse offence (lower speed offset by higher CON, roughly equal magic, slightly lower skill) but much better defensive stats (about 3 more HP, 4 more DEF, 3.5 less RES), only Pent has other advantages in his favor - S/A Anima/Staff rank compared to Nino's likely A/D or S/D or something around there, plus Pent has actually had time to build up supports on top of the one he starts with. Oh, and those are endgame level comparisons. So pick one: Nino's endgame performance is that she's outclassed by more difficult enemies, or Pent is actually great for the whole game, obsoleting Nino.

Erk is dependable and a classic middle road approach, however he can be RNG screwed very easily because of it.

I'm pretty sure Nino is more liable to getting RNG screwed than Erk is (it depends on how close your growths are to 50% and how many levels you have to gain, and Nino's growths are closer to 50% overall), but whatever. The issue here is variance: If a character is likely to get RNG screwed, they're just as likely to get RNG blessed! So this argument can't be stated without the opposite.

In my opinion, Nino has a very high output after a couple of levels. Her low con being trivialized by her high base speed and 60% growth, as well as her decent base magic (In comparison to enemy resistance) and her 50% Magic growth.

Yeah, Nino can hit hard and fairly early on. The issue is her speed simply isn't good enough to use the heavier tomes for a while, so until then she's limited to Fire which doesn't do enough running off her 7+50% MAG until she's gained a decent number of levels or grabbing a heavier tome, not doubling, costing you more money to hit harder. She takes too long to get good, and even when she can hit hard, she's still extremely fragile and isn't ORKOing for a LONG time.

Besides Merlinus, Nino can support with Canas to get an excellent boost to her attack and general survivability (Defense and evasion), or Erk, who increases her chance of criticals in exchange for no attack bonus. With this, Nino will be able to stay on the rear line and take out enemies from behind the walls of a chokepoint such as Hector or Oswin. At the same time, ranged units will not often be able to get to her with more than one unit unless she kills the ranged attacker or another one comes with something such as siege tomes or long bows.

We've already detailed why this isn't happening. Besides, C Canas, which she may well reach a chapter or two before Endgame, gives 1 DEF, 2 hit, 5 avo and 5 dge. Hardly impressive. Even if B Canas were realistic, it'd be endgameish that it's being obtained, at which point nobody is really doubting that Nino does well.

In my opinion, I find that Nino is a decent unit that can be trained very well, and I don't think that she's too much of a liability when compared to the pegasus knights which are almost completely outclassed by the Wyvern knights; Nino can hold her own as a magic unit and as a unit in general. I feel she should be used more often than I've seen. What do you think?

What? Wait what? I don't understand this comparison at all. Firstly the Pegs aren't outclassed at all. Two of them join earlier, one even almost 20 chapters earlier including Lyn's mode. Both are fast, and have great utility for a long time. Heath is really slow and vulnerable to magic, Vaida is decent but has unremarkable stats. More importantly, why is Nino being compared to them? They're about as different units as you can get.

Nino takes a long time before she can get to the point of holding her own. Even if we're generous as say she gains 5 levels per chapter, she takes 4 chapters to reach 20/5, a point where she can really expect to be doing well. And at that point, Pent is without doubt still doing much better than she will, Erk if trained will without question be much stronger than she now is, heck most of your army is still stronger. So it's really only around Endgame and maybe chapter 32 she's beginning to show her worth, and the effort it took to put in to get there is insane, especially considering her performance ends up... slightly better than Pent, at endgame, who has been better for the entire game up to there.

Nino is a massive investment of time, EXP and resources for a small output improvement over the other options the player had. She's a terrible unit, a net negative on the player, and about her only real value is for the EXP rank in ranked runs due to starting with very good stats for her level.

Tables explained it very well, so I'll just go with a tl;dr version:

Why bother with Nino when nearly every other unit in the game does the same thing just as well or better than Nino with much less effort and for much longer? Lv20/20 stats have little bearing on reality.

i've trained nino a few times, but well...it's really hard to train her without using the mine glitch in cog of destiny. even then, erk comes a lot earlier and he sometimes scores as well as she does for me. erk is very useful except for the fact that people can get unlucky and have him stuck with low magic power. i've seen depressing screenshots of that. dear god...sometimes i just give him 2 energy rings so that problem is almost guaranteed to be removed instead of relying on luck. pent can make up for an erk that got screwed over by bad luck at first, but yeah pent has bad growths and loses his usefulness as time goes on. on top of all this, we still get priscilla who...granted, i don't like her very much at all, but i still think she's a reliable unit. takes babying to train up, but still comes pretty early. good for people who take their time, and don't want to rush through their playthroughs...like me, back when i used to play fe7 religiously.

Edited by xXHeartbreakXx

but yeah pent has bad growths and loses his usefulness as time goes on.

Where does this even keep coming from? Not only are Pent's base stats great, his growths aren't actually that much worse than other units'. His only really bad growth is SKL at 20% (which honestly doesn't matter because he has a 21 base in that stat) - on the other hand, his defensive growths actually beat a lot of other units'! 30% DEF in particular is pretty good and beats every other magic user's growth in that area.

Also, if we're gonna drop stat boosters on units - might as well drop an angelic robe on Pent to fix his only questionable stat, eh?

Edited by Scarlet

Edit: Debating is fine, saying that she just isn't your style is fine. Just please don't argue.

de·bate

diˈbāt/

verb

argue about (a subject), especially in a formal manner.
your user title indicates to me that you didn't make this topic with the pursuit of facts in mind. a confession that you "hate tiers" reveals that you're not interested in a consistent metric by which to judge units.

To be fair, they are for queers and also don exits.

Among magic users, Nino offers just about the least. In no particular order, Canas has some cool tomes, Lucius has pseudo-staff utility, Pent and the healers have staff utility, Erk has a couple of chapters of being the only one who ignores physical defense.

At least she beats Renault? (she can reach A staves before his chapter in any context where his staff rank matters)

nino is not that great

and on sf we only use the best characters so it's irrelevant rite goiz

Edited by Tryhard

Fire emblem 7 has the unique trait of having nearly every unit fitting well into any team by end game. Exceptions include the likes of Wallace and Karel, tbh. Varying playstyles of course bring varying goals, and nino is fun to use in a casual setting, but one thing that OP misses is that prepromoted units generally aren't bad.

Of course, using her in Eliwood Normal mode isn't as arduous of a task as using her in Hector Hard Mode, so in a mode with slower units, her SPD/Con offset isn't as magnified.

One thing too, is that Nino supporting Merlinus is useless in Endgame, since he's forced out of it.

It just boils down to a casual playstyle. OP, understand that for many of us here, there is more to Fire Emblem than the shiny cap'd stats at endgame. Nino offers little beyond that, except in S-ranking challenges (a feature built into the game) and self imposed challenges that demand her use.

Edited by Elieson

She joins late and underleveled. I don't want to bother training a weak character when I already a cast full of units able to handle FE7's enemies. You have to slow down to train her, and i don't like to slow down.

Also, if you're playing on HHM, she's way harder to use, since the enemies in COD will have high resistance.

And then there's Pent, who can do everything she does but better. Yeah, at level 20 of sage she will have better stats, but so what?

Erk, Lucius, Pent, Canas are all better than her.

And then there's the fact that even if you bother training her, she won't be unique in endgame, since you get Athos, who does things she'll never be able to do.

There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, but I'll bite anyways. Nino's primary problem is that she comes a day late and a dollar short (code for late and underleveled). Second, even if I bust my ass to train her, what guarantee is there that she'll significantly outclass Erk, let alone Pent?? There isn't one. Third, her low Con offsets the one good stat she has going for her. Fourth, this game's enemies are wimpolas - odds are, by the time Nino joins, my guys are probably ORKOing most anything that even tries to look at them funny. How can you train someone who probably won't even get to do much of anything because everyone else is crushing the competition? Fifth, she's damn near unusable in HHM because CoD now has mages up the wazoo who don't give a damn about what she can do to them (because she CAN'T do anything to them).

Edited by Levant Caprice

nino kind of blows

why put effort into making a unit "great" when i can not put in effort to beat the game with units that are "good"

To answer the thread's question: Because literally every other unit in the game is better, probably even Karla is better. She requires waaaaay too much babying at a point in the game where you're likely to have ridiculous units anyway. Pent exists, so she's also ridiculously outclassed by a unit that joins earlier with ranks she just wishes she had. Even if Pent didnt exist, she'd also be outclassed by Erk.

EDIT: Ok wallace is worse than her, forgot him.

Edited by PKL

OK.. In almost all my parties, I trained Nino to max. She's great honnestly, and she's not that hard to train.

26x/28x can help her go to Level 20 promoted without any problem. And then you have Cog of Destiny to have her go to level 20.
...However, it's really tedious. It takes easily 100+ turns, and at that point it stop being fun.

You also have to lose a part of the exp that would have helped your

Besides, Pent is objectively better in every point. You don't need units to be that strong, he can kick ass as soon as he appears, and he has a A rank in Staves (Thing that Nino will really struggle to have). And Higher Con means he can actually double with them. More often than Nino will. (Not sure how relevant thjis actually is. If someone can confirms, it'd be helpfull)

And there's also priscilla who has Anima access too, but also has move advantage (She has Anima Rank Problem, but Thunder uis the only thing she will actually use anyway).

Don't take me wrong, Nino is great, and I really appreciate her.

She won't ruin your game if you chose to use her, and you won't have to regret it (She is in no way Sophia.)

And she is indeed one of the best Est character. No one can deny it (though some (many?) will deny the relevance of this.)

She's just not really worth it if you don't already wants to use her.

If you want to use it, go away.

And I still prefer her far more to Erk (her exact opposite. He has the best availability, but his growths arefar more risky, and he is overall inferior to Pent anyway).

But she isn't the best unit of the game.

Edited by shytende

Fire emblem 7 has the unique trait of having nearly every unit fitting well into any team by end game. Exceptions include the likes of Wallace and Karel, tbh. Varying playstyles of course bring varying goals, and nino is fun to use in a casual setting, but one thing that OP misses is that prepromoted units generally aren't bad.

Of course, using her in Eliwood Normal mode isn't as arduous of a task as using her in Hector Hard Mode, so in a mode with slower units, her SPD/Con offset isn't as magnified.

One thing too, is that Nino supporting Merlinus is useless in Endgame, since he's forced out of it.

It just boils down to a casual playstyle. OP, understand that for many of us here, there is more to Fire Emblem than the shiny cap'd stats at endgame. Nino offers little beyond that, except in S-ranking challenges (a feature built into the game) and self imposed challenges that demand her use.

I understand that very much. Of course, it doesn't stop one from wondering what others think of units.

de·bate

diˈbāt/

verb

argue about (a subject), especially in a formal manner.
your user title indicates to me that you didn't make this topic with the pursuit of facts in mind. a confession that you "hate tiers" reveals that you're not interested in a consistent metric by which to judge units.

While facts are important, I also understand that the opinions and experiences of those that have traveled the road before me are just as valuable. Sure, I could look anywhere and find specific points for or against nino or any other unit for that matter; instead I came here, imploring the opinions and expertise of people that most likely have had said different experiences in a game where the RNG is almighty. That said, may I have your opinion?

Edited by Marek

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=30268&hl=%2Brate+%2Bunit+%2Bnino

Check that thread out. It's my masterpiece It's something that I started a while ago that got taken over by various others, and generally encompasses all thoughts regarding Nino. Gosh I almost forgot I started that.

***Edit***

Opinions haven't generally changes that much over Nino since then.

Edited by Elieson