Sunshine

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I have used Nino (with Afa's Drops) plenty of times, I have to agree with those that Nino almost isn't worth the trouble as an actual unit. She's too fragile for an Est and comes too late which, adding in that she's a Mage, makes her a little hard to raise without extreme bias.

And even when I did try to be biased with her, she sometimes didn't get to 20/20. Whereas Erk, Canas, Lucius, and maybe even Pent are much more feasible to get to promoted lv. 20. (No unlimited Arena use = Nino why). Her Con isn't helping; it's fixed by a Body Ring but why give that to her when you could give it to someone who sticks with you from an early part of the game and has added benefits of making the Body Ring work for a longer period of time (like Florina or even Eliwood)? The fact that Fire (you know, the weakest Anima tome) weighs her down initially is ridiculous.

She doesn't even have Awakening's stat modifiers to help her. Perhaps if she had like +5 Spd caps or something, she would have been worth the training. (I can't knock that entirely against her but it definitely would have made her stand out more as a unit).

As for Afa's Drops, I could put them to use easily on units like Heath and Rath. Low-leveled (generally the case for Rath), earlier recruitment time (even recruited in the same chapter!), and I personally like using them. Bonus points for Heath for being the only Wyvern Rider/Lord you get for a while, while Nino is competing with Erk and Pent for Mage/Sage.

Lets see, she comes at lvl 1 unpromoted, in the last 5 or so chapters of the game. You could spend unimaginable effort to level her up in those missions, but its such a pain and lasts so long, it isn't even worth it. Canas and Lucius are extremely strong in what magic they do, and if you want anima, Pent is your best friend(or Erk, but my same level promoted Erk always lost out to Pent at same level).

So basically, it takes too long and too much effort to make her into something you actually already have and don't need. And as the game is coming to a close, the gap between her and the other mages is just too huge. And besides, your selectable units are limited, so even if you trained her, you would have to kick someone else out, and with the rather great ammount of good characters, which DON'T need huge leveling in the last few chapters of the game, you are better just sticking with what you have.

Now Jaffar is a different story, probably one of the best promoted units you gain in all of fire emblem.

Lets see, she comes at lvl 1 unpromoted, in the last 5 or so chapters of the game. You could spend unimaginable effort to level her up in those missions, but its such a pain and lasts so long, it isn't even worth it. Canas and Lucius are extremely strong in what magic they do, and if you want anima, Pent is your best friend(or Erk, but my same level promoted Erk always lost out to Pent at same level).

So basically, it takes too long and too much effort to make her into something you actually already have and don't need. And as the game is coming to a close, the gap between her and the other mages is just too huge. And besides, your selectable units are limited, so even if you trained her, you would have to kick someone else out, and with the rather great ammount of good characters, which DON'T need huge leveling in the last few chapters of the game, you are better just sticking with what you have.

Now Jaffar is a different story, probably one of the best promoted units you gain in all of fire emblem.

*Level 5 unpromoted*

And Jaffar isn't /that/ great

i heard vaida can easily handle the wyvern reinforcements that come with vaida.

Of course. But she doesn't get nearly as much experience for it as Nino does, which is a problem if you're going for an S rank.

Edited by Paper Jam

Of course. But she doesn't get nearly as much experience for it as Nino does, which is a problem if you're going for an S rank.

Assuming if running through ranked. The same could be applied to almost any unit for ranked EXP (even Bartre and Rebecca).

I think the point of dondon's post was why field Nino to take care of Wyvern Riders if Vaida can just as easily take them out and on the same turn you recruit her. Vaida doesn't require a deployment slot like Nino does. And it's not like the Wyvern Riders come turns before Vaida; they come with her.

Joins late. Level 5. 4 Con. Pent is better. I sound like a broken record since I'm parroting everything that has been said, but it's true.

If you like her, go ahead. No one is stopping you. Just don't call her a good unit. By the time you're at NoF your team's gonna be on steroids. Heck Jaffar has a hard time finding a place in your team that late in the game and he's a Lv 13, 19 Base Str Assassin lol.

We do have different definitions. What I meant by efficient training is giving her enough training to get to a decent level on cog. As for training Nino on cog, I have my methods. Her con can be helped (but not totally fixed) with a body ring. And even then, some players choose to put it on a different player, such as Eli or a peg knight

Another problem I forgot to mention that Nino has is that FE7 isn't exactly known for having good enemies stat wise - by the time she joins, most of the people who you're using are probably one-rounding most anything that so much as even thinks to look at them funny. And needless to say, it doesn't help in that regard that the game's still throwing mostly unpromoted enemies at you.

Edited by Levant Caprice

Assuming if running through ranked. The same could be applied to almost any unit for ranked EXP (even Bartre and Rebecca).

He said "if you're going for an S rank", so I think we can safely assume it is talking about ranked. Nino is expected to have relatively good stats for her level, so while she's around she can ORKO enemies at a lower level. The wyvern knights may be a different case because of bow effectiveness, but you'd have to take care that your archers don't get attacked in melee.

Thats a funny way of spelling Titania and Pent, bruh.

since hector has to hang back anyway, he and vaida can block some of the more troublesome reinforcements, and vaida can ORKO the remainder with a spear or a short spear.

Yeah, thats basically how it goes. Hector recruits Vaida, those two make wyvern patties. (sometimes Lyn joins in cuz wynaut)

Personally, I spell it S-E-T-Y. But I guess we could argue about different localisations all day long, huh.

Yeah, thats basically how it goes. Hector recruits Vaida, those two make wyvern patties. (sometimes Lyn joins in cuz wynaut)

Personally, I spell it S-E-T-Y. But I guess we could argue about different localisations all day long, huh.

Am I the only one who read "one of" in there? I mean, normally I never ask "Am I the only one..." questions, but these responses make me seriously wonder.

Am I the only one who read "one of" in there? I mean, normally I never ask "Am I the only one..." questions, but these responses make me seriously wonder.

Even so, it's hard to put Jaffar, a sword locked Assassin with shit availability, in the category of one of the best pre promotes when that club includes guys like Sirius, Pent, Sigurd, Titania, Seth, Percy, Marcus, Shannan, and Seth. So they are still technically not wrong, unless you think Jaffar deserves to have his name thrown in with said units.

It would be different if he/she said one the best pre promotes in FE7 (which would still be iffy, to be honest), but in all of Fire Emblem? Naaaahhhhh. Unless by Fire Emblem, he/she meant the Western title of Blazing Sword without the subtitle. Then I'd feel dumb.

He said "if you're going for an S rank", so I think we can safely assume it is talking about ranked. Nino is expected to have relatively good stats for her level, so while she's around she can ORKO enemies at a lower level. The wyvern knights may be a different case because of bow effectiveness, but you'd have to take care that your archers don't get attacked in melee.

Right. Her EXP yield is good if we're doing a ranked run. I was pointing out that he was assuming a ranked run with Nino.

A lot of the points here as far as I interpreted them were not aiming for her effectiveness in a ranked run which, if we're doing that, then Bartre, Rebecca, Rath, and Heath can be added as "good" units as well compared to Vaida for EXP yield. I wasn't exactly knocking at him for his point for Nino, but I wouldn't count that as a point for Nino to be considered a "good" unit overall.

Does she have her use in a ranked run? Oh definitely. But that's almost a given because of the EXP requirement. I wanted to imply that it's not good to assume a ranked run Nino effectiveness approach because... uh... she most likely wouldn't do well there either, barring EXP.

Pent is amazing, Titania not so much. Kieran and Oscar beat her lvl 1 promoted stats even before their promotion...And the game isn't that hard anyway for you to need her help in early game, even on hard mode. I just let her unequiped as a wall to soak up attacks.

Also, didn't say he is the best, but one of the best. But you can also consider this another way: He actually comes as a promoted unit of a type you don't really have. He is the earliest Assassin you can get. Sure, after his mission you can get the promotion item for one of the other 2 thieves, but there is no reason, as Jaffar is already higher level and stat-wise out of reach for the other thieves. You will have like 4 other paladins which all beat Titania. Thou its hard to beat Pent, as Erks growth were really sad in multiple playthroughs for me. But anima isn't even necessary anyway, unlike your rare Dark and Light magic users.

Marcus/Pent/Harken/Vaida/Hawkeye > Jaffar > Karel > Renault > Wallace

Dunno where to put Isadora really. I'd say slightlyabovejaffar. That makes Jaffar in the lower half easily. Far from one of the best.

Stat wise, he's good enough to fill an empty slot but swordlock units fucking suck at this stage of the game.

Edited by Sara.

Isa + body ring is pretty much good to go. You can even give her a killer weapon or two. 8 move and WTC is never not a good thing.

I like me some Jaffar but he's got some reeaaaallly fierce competition with Geitz, Hawkeye, Pent, and Harken, all of which are available before him. Marcus goes without saying of course.

wow how could I forget that Geitz is better than Jaffar too

i clearly don't unlock geitz enough these days

Edited by Sara.

Pent is amazing, Titania not so much. Kieran and Oscar beat her lvl 1 promoted stats even before their promotion...And the game isn't that hard anyway for you to need her help in early game, even on hard mode. I just let her unequiped as a wall to soak up attacks.

.....well of course Kieran and Oscar are gonna beat her stat wise if you don't level her up at all. If you bother to train her she stays ahead of them for most of the game and only falls off slightly towards the end.

• 4 weeks later...

nino is good its just she joins every late in the game if she joined early in the chapter maybe chapter 12 so she can arena grind

l would like to see a nino vs pent battle

"floor ice cream gives you health!"

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

I use Nino all the time she really is not that hard to train and a strategy I have adapted for that chapter involves use of the mine glitch make all enemies throw away their weapons and let her have her way there by the time she hits like Lv 6 or so she can take down enemies with weapons and by the time i am done with that chapter she is already like Lv 18. Very easy plus I like her as a character and I like supporting her with Jaffar for their ending heh lugh and Ray are born.

I may add though that even without the glitch still trained her well I just had Eliwood since he is pretty weak chip damage enemies then have her finish off. And if memeory serves me correctly it has been awhile the chapter after the sidequest chapter what is it called again? Four Fanged Offense? whatever that chapter is filled with armor knights in some parts Nino can eat them for breakfeast even at a low level due to their low speed.

nino is good its just she joins every late in the game if she joined early in the chapter maybe chapter 12 so she can arena grind

l would like to see a nino vs pent battle

It's BECAUSE she comes late and underleveled that she sucks.

And just what would that hope to prove???