Was behind the wheel for the first time.

ZemZem

My older sister had me drive around an empty parking lot for a half hour, and...I think I'm getting the hang of it. I'm having a little trouble getting my turning and speeding in check, and I applied the brakes hard a few times (never again), but not bad for a first day.

Just wanted to throw this out there. Maybe some tips would help me.

Edited by UFO

:newyears: on driving!

Though since I'm getting my license next year, I can't be of much help but my dad always says that when you're on the road, count the thing in front of you by 4 seconds. If you pass that item by four seconds, then you're not in danger. If you go faster than that, then you're driving too fast and you'll catch the person in front of you.

I got my license 4 months ago, around 2 months after I turned 16 so yeah. Driving's nice.

I don't even know how to drive and I'm two years older.

I don't know how to feel about that.

I don't have any tips, you'll figure out timings and positions pretty quickly just through practice, but I do have one piece of advice:

Assume everyone else on the road is an idiot.

Not everyone will follow the rules of the road, especially in aberrant circumstances (there's something in the road or whatnot). This is very general advice, but as you drive (and watch other people drive) you will hopefully (and unfortunately, I suppose) see why this is a good idea fairly quickly.

But one caveat: If someone has seemingly stopped for no reason, it's likely they stopped for a reason. It's sad when people are injured or killed because one car stopped and the car behind decided to rush around.

Edit: Also, everyone here is so young I guess I'm old now what is this I don't even.

Edited by Wist

Driving sucks, cycling's better, you can get away with much more stuff than you can in driving and you lessen your risk of getting into a civil lawsuit.

Though since I'm getting my license next year, I can't be of much help but my dad always says that when you're on the road, count the thing in front of you by 4 seconds. If you pass that item by four seconds, then you're not in danger. If you go faster than that, then you're driving too fast and you'll catch the person in front of you.

4 seconds only applies to wet conditions. The Highway Code (which is basically the driver's bible) says that, during good, dry conditions, staying 2 seconds behind the vehicle in front of you shouldn't be dangerous. Icy conditions means you should stay 20 seconds behind, although I don't think many people apply to that. Not like a lot of people would drive in those conditions anyway

Mind you, what I said applies to British driving. Recommendations and regulations might differ over in America

4 seconds is actually a pretty good rule of thumb, even moreso on non-highway roads because people can slow down at any time to turn or whatnot. Intersections are a HUGE killer here. At higher speeds you do need more stopping distance so I usually tend to go 4 seconds anyway. (cue assholes cutting in front of me when there's barely any space) Going less than that doesn't necessarily mean you'll catch the other person though.

Driving sucks, cycling's better, you can get away with much more stuff than you can in driving and you lessen your risk of getting into a civil lawsuit.

In many places in America, driving is the only feasible option.

Because a vast majority of planners for American cities/towns/communities are terrible (and have been since after World War II).

Edited by BLS

In many places in America, driving is the only feasible option.

Because a vast majority of planners for American cities/towns/communities are terrible (and have been since after World War II).

Yeah, I guess. Most cities in Canada have trails for walking and cycling or have tame enough traffic to ride on the road.

Congrats on starting to drive, bud.

When backing up, you have to completely shift your perspective. Think of going forward as pulling the car, but now you are pushing it. A lot of people have trouble reversing so that's something to think about. Helped me a lot when I was learning.

Most important thing is to stay extremely focused. Respect other drivers, i.e. use your blinkers, don't tailgate, be mindful of high beams etc. Basically, treat other cars as people driving them instead of metal objects speeding down a road. Commit to lane changes/going through yellow lights if 1. you're already in motion and 2. you're not in danger. This is all stuff you should remember after you get the hang of operating the car. Also:

Assume everyone else on the road is an idiot.

^This, a lot.