That One Boss

Alm

I can't remember anything like that, but I do remember Mephreyu(or however the fuck you spell his name) from Rondo of Swords giving me a shit ton of trouble the first time I encountered him when I was in Path B.

I used Selmer > Cotton and used Sasha and Margus(my plan was that Margus was my defensive ZOC tank, and Serdic was my offensive ZOC tank lol), so that probably was my bad.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practically every boss in SMT Strange Journey. Especially the last boss which forced you to use a party of all three alignments since one of her skills forces a randomly chosen alignment of demons to return to your stock so if you're using a party consisting of two or three same alignment your entire party goes away and then you'll probably lose horribly as you scramble trying to summon your party again. Also she has two phases and the second is only vulnerable to a specific element and immune to physical so you better have the strongest Almighty skills. :3

Man, Mem Aleph is horrible. I didn't have problems with other SMT SJ bosses besides Ouroboros, but I ended up getting codes from online for powerful demons and using them in order to beat Mem.

Abyssal God which I can still cannot beat due to how bullshit that fight is. 80,000 damage within 2 turns or else the stupid thing randomizes if you dealt too little damage and starts spewing any all kinds of status ailments as well.

I ended up beating it after it randomized because I couldn't do enough damage in the crunch time. I had 3 characters (one was a hoplite bunshin) using the 3 elemental blockers, and I think two of my other two characters were attacking with breakfire fist and the gladiator's ice element club attack (both had zodiac's singularity as well). I think I "got lucky" because it managed to down one of my characters at least once and I was reduced to using 2/3 elemental blockers for a turn. Obv if it had used the element I didn't choose to block that turn I'd have died.

Can't remember what the last character was. Probably a monk/prince(ss) healer.

Edited by SeverIan

• 4 weeks later...

The Little Queen in Tales of Graces F can be a serious pain. The main issue (which gets worse in the third and final battle against her) is that fact that there are multiple Little Queens. Which means it's likely that while you try to swat at one, another will be trying to swat YOU. And that when you defeat one, another will come to take its place. Worse yet, this means that if Eleth Break (basically, take the effects of Eleth Burst, which is like an Over Limit from other Tales games, and apply those to the enemy party) ever occurs, which it will, it makes it that much more likely that you'll get blasted by a Mystic Arte (maybe more, if you're unlucky).

Edited by Levant Caprice

That puppet thing in baten kaitos origins. Couldnt beat it until I found out about mountain apples

also, the chaotic trio from eternal wings and the lost ocean

Forget as a kid growing up, I still had to lower difficulty to Easy for Sam & still can't beat Armstrong for MGR Revengeance, a rather recent game

So who says games today are easier compared to the eighties/nineties? Tropico 5, the latest in the series, is also the hardest

Tolstar in Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga...I used to think you can't dodge at all and have to take the hit so I never beat her, until I was like 6 or 7.

I don't know about bosses, but I could never make that big jump on White Land II on F-Zero as a kid, before I learned that you need to press down on the D-Pad to extend your jump.

And Castoth, the first boss on Illusion of Gaia, dem lasers. Good news being I finally beat him when I was like six or seven, and when that moment came, I ran downstairs as fast as I could to tell my siblings, so we could finally progress in a game we loved for years, but never get far.

And Castoth, the first boss on Illusion of Gaia, dem lasers. Good news being I finally beat him when I was like six or seven, and when that moment came, I ran downstairs as fast as I could to tell my siblings, so we could finally progress in a game we loved for years, but never get far.

I remember that guy. That fight was one of those "hand the controller off to one of my older sisters" moments when I was young. Same with the Vampires later in the game.

It's funny how despite being the first boss he's probably one of the harder ones, took me a couple tries. The Vampires are definitely the hardest in the game for me, though.

Forget as a kid growing up, I still had to lower difficulty to Easy for Sam & still can't beat Armstrong for MGR Revengeance, a rather recent game

So who says games today are easier compared to the eighties/nineties? Tropico 5, the latest in the series, is also the hardest

That reminds me, Muzet in Tales of Xillia is one that I struggled with. And it'e even worse on Milla's side of the story, given that one of the times you face her, you don't have any allies to back you up. You face her again as the penultimate boss (on Milla's side, again; on Jude's end, Gaius is your opponent instead), where you have ONE ally to help... And the finale pairs her up with Gaius. This duo has to be the hardest final boss I've ever seen in a Tales game, as even on Normal mode, they kicked my ass several times over. And did I mention that Xillia is the most recent game in the series (or at least, the most recent entry that Americans got)?

It's funny how despite being the first boss he's probably one of the harder ones, took me a couple tries. The Vampires are definitely the hardest in the game for me, though.

Yeah, the Vampires are a serious pain, since they do a lot of damage, and there's the time limit too.

I think that I could beat Armstrong if I had 10 medigel or whatever, but unfortunately when I got to him I only had one or two. I need to go back, grind some gels, and beat that f'er.

I still have never beaten the final form of the final boss of that game. My brother was the one who beat it when we were young.

Edited by SeverIan

Kingdom Hearts (the original) was the first RPG I'd ever played, so I made many dumb mistakes on my first playthrough of the game, like thinking Spellbinder was the best weapon because it gave +2 MP for my spells (read: Cure). I ended up getting stuck at the fight against Ansem!Riku near the end of the first Hollow Bastion arc for about six months because I had no idea what I was doing.

It didn't help that there was a long cutscene right before fighting him, that you had to watch (and couldn't skip) every time you lost.

If challenge runs are allowed, the Boost Guardian on a No Dark Suit run. With the Dark Suit? A pushover. Without it? A luck based slog fest where you're on a very strict timelimit to kill the boss and you can still die within the cutscene after beating the boss, because there are no healing areas, and on top of that, its tendency to hit one of the four pillars, while gives you more health, spawns enemies that make things harder!

Joker (Batman NES): This guy is really really unpredictable and is the only thing in the game that does 3 damage to Batman's 8 health and he also takes hits like a tank on top of being hard to hit without being hit yourself. The fact that this guy stands out in a game full of ridiculous bosses (well, past the first 2) says a lot

Dracula (Castlevania 3): I feel like I shouldn't choose too many from this series but this one really stands out to me. 3 phases. 4 hits and you're dead. Bottomless pits on the last phase. If you even make it to this point you are a champ but this guy is ridiculous. Oh and dying to him means starting at the halfway point of the level again.

Shadow Man (Mega Man 3): The way I see it, this fight is a coin flip. Jump too early and you get a blade in your face or jump too late and get slid into. The fact that his weakness is the lame/buggy Top Spin makes this worse, as one slip up with this weapon means you lost all your weapon energy. He's also relatively quick and hard to hit and hits like a truck if he rams into you.

Reynard/Hyman (Shadow Dragon H5): This guy kicks Jagen's ass. Jagen. That is terrifying.

M. Bison (Street Fighter 2): He loves to infinite me in the corner all the time. Frickin' purposefully imbalanced fighting game bosses

Ripto from Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage. He's easy now, but as a kid... yeesh.

Cackletta's Spirit, the final boss of Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga.

Freaking Dr. Nefarious from Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal still kicks my ass every time.

Lavos from Chrono Trigger, specifically his second form.

Although i first played FE in college, Chapter 8 of fe6 had a boss that i simply could not defeat without abusing the knight triangle attack and it's guaranteed hit/crit (and alternating rescuing/releasing Amelia Wendy every turn with the two paladins to prevent an instakill.) If final bosses count, The final form of exdeath from ff5 was always annoying.

Edited by sirmola

If challenge runs are allowed, the Boost Guardian on a No Dark Suit run. With the Dark Suit? A pushover. Without it? A luck based slog fest where you're on a very strict timelimit to kill the boss and you can still die within the cutscene after beating the boss, because there are no healing areas, and on top of that, its tendency to hit one of the four pillars, while gives you more health, spawns enemies that make things harder!

I'm not that good at video games, so I found that even with the dark suit, the boost guardian was still the toughest boss in the game.

I am stuck at this boss right now, and I have no clue how I'm supposed to deal with it.

Huh. I also didn't mention that its freeze attack is likely to freeze you even with Ice Resistant Vests, nor the fact that I'm talking about a game where it's game over if your whole party is frozen (for the record, you can get an Iceproof Suit, but it needs sidetracking to the Freud Remnants on level 8). It also has a Shady Thug MG as back up, which regenerates if killed. Also, it is possible to direct kill it if you destroy the core... except said part takes next to nothing from physical attacks, requires blasting through another body part to attack, and elemental grenades other than Molotov Cocktails are hard to make at that point in the game (to say nothing of the fact that because you only have 2 characters, you might not even have the grenades on you).

Edited by Levant Caprice

• 3 weeks later...

Dark Force from Phantasy Star 2.

That damn thing randomly disabled party members with nonstandard status effects, which could be only cured by a randomly-activated ability of the protagonist's sword... in the end, my brother and I took turns trying to defeat him, and he got the kill.

I don't think I ever fought him again, in fact. So I might never have beaten him at all, despite the fact he's a mandatory boss of a game I've finished...

I'd say that Galactic Boss Cyrus can be frustrating, especially in Platinum, what with his team being of a caliber above what you've faced beforehand. Hell, while I'm speaking of Team Galactic, Commander Mars and Commander Jupiter BOTH count the first time you run into them. Both of them have a grossly underleveled fully evolved Pokémon (Purugly for Mars, Skuntank for Jupiter), which can smash a player who comes in unprepared, or even worse, underleveled. The icing on the cake? Both of these Pokémon only have ONE WEAKNESS! (Which is especially bad for you in Skuntank's case, given that you have no good moves of its weakness type at that point in the game)

Edited by Levant Caprice

I'm not sure if this counts but Sephiroth in his Kingdom Hearts incarnation. He's not a main story boss so I gave up fairly quickly, but he was ridiculously hard. KH2 Sephiroth was so much easier.

I'm not sure if this counts but Sephiroth in his Kingdom Hearts incarnation. He's not a main story boss so I gave up fairly quickly, but he was ridiculously hard. KH2 Sephiroth was so much easier.

Personally, I'm hesitant on considering that acceptable, given that he's a bonus boss, and as such, he's supposed to be hard.

Back to the subject, Elesa in BW deserves special mention as far as Pokémon gym leaders are concerned, thanks to having very little in the way of surefire methods of defeating her, if any even exist. (Ground types are no good against Emolga, and the two ground types you can have at that point are rather fragile anyways, and Grass types get pounded by Aerial Ace, as well as Zebstrika's Flame Charge)