Which is harder? FE6 Hard Mode (Echinda Route/Sacae Route) or FE7 HHM?

Nonevah

Oh boy. And I've heard all about how difficult HHM is, managing to be even more difficult is... impressive.

Well, I guess now I know what order I'm going to be playing things in! I'll finish my ironman run of FE6 on normal, then beat HNM, beat HHM, finish off Elibian Nights, then play FE6 HM. Thanks.

fe7 hhm is a walk in the park *runs away*

Agreed. FE6 HM is super super super harder and it isn't even that hard either imo ;/. HHM is just weak.

Sacae is pretty brutal on hard mode and is no cakewalk in normal mode either. If you go to Illia at least you face lots of bow-weak enemies.

And Gel is not easy to kill at all. 27 Spd and 14 Luck is 68 Avoid, and he is on a throne.

The only chapter that comes close to brutal is Ch20 due to the double Bolting and Berserk in Fog of War, and maybe 20x which can catch you off guard the first time. And while Gel is a massive dodge-whore he's never killing you if you fight him at 2-range.

Agreed. FE6 HM is super super super harder and it isn't even that hard either imo ;/. HHM is just weak.

i thought you didn't finish it.

Outside of the early game in fe6 hm, it's really not that hard. HHM is weird because it has some pretty tough chapters, and some mindnumbingly easy ones. Honestly past te first few chapters on both, I find them pretty easy. I don't get the whole "savae is super hard" mentality, even dumpsters like Douglas have little risk of death.

Nomads/Swordmasters are pretty fast, and Wyvern Lords hit hard. But I don't think any of them use weapons better than Steel (don't most of the Troopers use Short Bows even?), so the swordies can be tanked pretty easily and Wyverns are inaccurate and slow. It's not that bad really.

Enemies scale worse on HHM than they do in FE6 HM, partly since the bonus levels are the same for every chapter, so outside of a few cases like Battle Before Dawn - which imposes a pretty strict time limit on you - it gets easier as you go along. At least that's how it felt for me last time, I haven't played vanilla FE7 in ages.

i feel like there's an inconsistency in how you're (horace) judging FE6 and FE7 by difficulty. FE7's difficult maps are really just genesis and cog of destiny, and they're only difficult to LTC. FE6 has way more maps where it's difficult to LTC.

and it shouldn't be surprising that though FE6 is hated for its frequency of status staves, FE7 is worse about it because the only maps in FE7 that are difficult are the ones in which the game throws status staves at you with little reliable option of combating.

Edited by dondon151

I'd argue that Genesis is actually harder if you take it slowly; if you don't remove enough of the Bolting/Purge users before Kishuna leaves they can quickly overwhelm you; the small deployment limit and the reinforcements don't help either. It strongly encourages you to move quickly and take risks, which most of the other maps don't do.

obviously if you do nothing for the first 5 turns, then you're in for a bad time. there's nothing good here about being forced to take risks; you're left with little choice but to confront very accurate status staves with no way of dropping the hit rate below 50% on most units and not enough unit slots to warrant bringing a restore user.

fe6 is harder to ltc (well probably i've never tried) but I doubt op is looking for that. Just casual play, I'd argue FE6 lategame might be easier what with statboosters as far as your money can take you if you have supports, some units become pretty invincible.

EDIT: misread dondon's post, one sec

EDIT EDIT: I think FE6 is less hated as far as status staves go because they're much more frequent and it forces you to bring a restore user. They kinda just show up and fuck you over in FE7 out of nowhere. Also Genesis isn't that hard to LTC, its much harder if you dont...

oh venno already said that, lol.

Edited by General Horace