Pokémon Regions: Best to Worst

ZemZem

The fact that it's easy to get rid of HMs doesn't excuse the fact that it's a hassle to use them in the first place, for reasons explained. Relearning can also become a serious problem if you use TMs a lot, evolved from a stone, or simply run low on heart scales. There are a lot of problems involved in forcing HM use on the player.

On Waterfall, while it's good on the right Pokemon, it's not a widespread move and you'll likely need to put it on the same mon that has Surf, and that Pokemon is likely to prefer one to the other 98% of the time.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, it WAS kind of dumb to have to put Surf and Waterfall on the same Pokemon. And there WAS a lot of reliance on HMs, I won't deny that. I felt that this was a minor issue though, thanks to being able to get rid of the moves later. And I do like that gens 5 and 6 became much less reliant on them.

I don't see too big a problem with having a Bibarel/Tropius around with me, but I don't have a problem with Poke-lowmanning.

Of course, I see why it's a problem for others.

On HMs and Sinnoh, boy Defog was REALLY dumb. It was the most artificial way to add difficulty while map-travelling. It's like Flash, except it's worse. Was it even possible to proceed without Defog (like you could with Flash? I honestly don't even remember.

Heck, it's even one of the worst moves to use in battle. Using it causes to remove Spikes... ON YOUR OPPONENT'S SIDE.

On HMs and Sinnoh, boy Defog was REALLY dumb. It was the most artificial way to add difficulty while map-travelling. It's like Flash, except it's worse. Was it even possible to proceed without Defog (like you could with Flash? I honestly don't even remember.

Heck, it's even one of the worst moves to use in battle. Using it causes to remove Spikes... ON YOUR OPPONENT'S SIDE.

It also removes Light Screen/Reflect/Safeguard as well. It actually is considered a rather good move.

It also removes Light Screen/Reflect/Safeguard as well. It actually is considered a rather good move.

Now it is, yes. I don't really remember it getting much praise before the buff, to put it lightly.

If you memorized your way through Route 210, yes, it's possible to beat D/P/Plt without Defog. But boy, is it ever annoying. Constant misses in battles result.

And Defog got better in X/Y, definitely .

• 4 weeks later...

1. Hoenn 10/10

2. Sinnoh 9.5/10

3. Kalos 9/10

4. Kanto 8/10

5. Johto 7/10

6. Unova 4.5/10

Hoenn is awesome. My first game ever was Pokemon Emerald, and I've considered Hoenn to be my favorite region ever since. I'm excited for AS and OR!

Sinnoh is another very good region. It was very spread out which I liked, and Diamond is still one of my all time favorites.

Kalos was pretty great as well. They did very nicely on it, which was a nice surprise after Unova.

Kanto is good, not great though. Sure, it's nostalgic, and it's a pretty good region with a pretty good difficulty curve, but it's not on the level of the first three.

Johto is very meh. I enjoyed playing the Johto games, but the region itself is very meh. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay and storyline from Johto was great, but I would have preferred a two region game in some other regions rather than Johto and Kanto.

And finally...Unova. Oh my word, it's like the game designers quit. At least half the new Pokemon were dumb, and you couldn't catch any in the main story in B/W. Then they compressed 8 gyms into 8 cities! So stupid! By far, the worst region ever IMO.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unova B&W 1 - I liked that it made you use the new Pokemon, Team Plasma was the Pokemon equivalent of PETA, and N was a great character

Johto - Just because of Silver

Unova B&W 2 - Not as good as the first Black and White but still really good Pokestar Studios was fun.

Hoenn - Water Pokemon are my favorite and the only bad thing is the lack of a real rival.

Kanto - It was great at the time but it didn't age well in my opinion.

Sinnoh - While it has my favorite starter the game relied on you needing the older games Pokemon to get a legendary. Plus the only character worth remembering was the 8th gym leader.

• 2 weeks later...

Kalos = Unova = Sinnoh > Hoenn > Johto > Kanto

The first three: Snowy areas and a mossy rock.

Kalos is very pretty to me and I liked the music for the routes(and Lumiose hnng)

I loved Unova's urban+nature setting

Sinnoh's atmosphere felt gdlk to me

Route 119 in Hoenn(you know, on the way to Fortree)

Johto has nostalgia for me since Gold was the first main game I played

Kanto is a box, boxes are neat

I think I would actually call Johto the best region. Not for gameplay reasons since Johto is probably the worst region when it comes to that, but simply because I like the style of the region very much. Things give an old Japanese style which I think is quite appealing.

In my opinion the Shinnoh region is the worst region, but thats mostly because I barely remember anything about it anymore. All I remember was that I thought the mountain was very annoying. Not remembering a thing did't happen to the games I played before or after Diamond and pearl so i'm wondering how that happened.

I generally think all the other regions are nice, but I don't have too much to say about them. Only exception is Hoenn because my experience with ruby and saphire is limited.

If you memorized your way through Route 210, yes, it's possible to beat D/P/Plt without Defog. But boy, is it ever annoying.

The route's pretty simple,if you ask me.I've beaten it around 4 times and only ever used Defog once.Not THAT annoying,either,but the amounts of turns a normal battle takes is PAINFUL.

Sinnoh - While it has my favorite starter the game relied on you needing the older games Pokemon to get a legendary. Plus the only character worth remembering was the 8th gym leader.

It's not that hard if you have those games beaten and the legendaries ready to transfer.I can flat out name all the Sinnoh gym leaders in order,and,with a bit more research,their Pokemon....I feel so stupid right now.

Anyway,I'd stop ranting/whatever and list.

Johto-I really like Johto.Really nostalgic and whatever.

Sinnoh-I DO prefer Sinnoh over Johto,but Johto's battle system recovers from Sinnoh's PITIFULLY slow battles.

Kanto-Not a big Kanto guy,but I still enjoy it.

Kalos-The themes were amazing.Well,the gym leader and elite four's themes were lacking,but the champion's theme was good.

Hoenn-True,I like Hoenn,but I find it slightly lacking in SOMETHING,which I don't know what.

Unova-Sure,Black/White 2 had the BIGGEST endgame,but Black and White's was almost as bad as Kalos'.

1. Hoenn; the variety of terrain in this region really appealed to me, and many of my favorite Pokemon appear in this region.

2. Sinnoh; the landscape in this region was also pretty diverse, and the Elite Four in this region was my favorite out of all of the other regions.

3. Kanto; Pokemon FireRed was my first Pokemon game, so this region still has a special place in my heart.

4. Unova; this region just didn't really appeal to me all that much -- the plot is still pretty good though.

5. Johto; just wasn't a very good region in my opinion, but the Pokemon were still pretty decent.

6. Kalos; the gameplay was fun, but the region was pretty dull and generic.

1. Unova- Expansive and exciting the whole way through. Sure, it's a bit of an obvious linear path, but it manages to feel varied and different everywhere you go. Black and White 2 make the region even more grand, but Black and White 1 had the interesting twist of introducing only new Pokemon until the postgame, which I think was a great way to mix things up. They also benefit from the two most interesting storylines in the main series far and away.

2. Johto- This one is interesting because it doesn't really do much new or vary things too much from Kanto, but the small changes always feel really great. Less is more, or something.

3. Kanto- Just the right start. Simple, but a good simple.

4. Kalos- Not always the most interesting, but almost everywhere felt vast and deep. I feel like I didn't get as much out of this region as I could've since I rushed through the game really quickly, but sometimes it felt like things seemed a bit unfinished. A future XY2 or Z or whatever would probably boost this one a bunch.

5. Hoenn- Started off slow even for a Pokemon game, but the midgame was totally great. After Lillycove it becomes a real disappointing finish with water water everywhere.

6. Sinnoh- This one was just a drag. Terrible pacing, not much exciting going on, and it never really felt exciting either.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...