Game cart refuses to save, insight appreciated

Metal Rabbit

It's been a very long time since I posted here. Anyway, it's come to my attention that file number 2 in my copy of blazing sword won't retain save data anymore. My friend's borrowing it and has told me the other two files will save and retain data just fine. After some detective work, I see that there could be a number of reasons why this happened.

-The game's 11 years old and has been played over and over again, the flash memory might be failing. Most likely explanation, but then why are the other two files functional?

-Somehow got exposed to extreme temp or static, unlikely because it was kept in a safe spot where neither of those happen

-Someone corrupted the file by doing something while it was saving, possible.

-It was being played on a gameboy player via gamecube. Don't think that's the cause.

The other thing is that just recently I acquired the mario kart double dash bonus disc, and transfered the items to the file that ended up corrupted. It seems that so few people have done this, and it's hard to find any info about it. Could it be a coincidence? Has anyone who's done the bonus disc link before had problems?

This one was my favorite FE, and another copy in decent enough shape isn't easy to come by. So opinions, experiences, etc are welcome.

I've used the MK:DD transfer plenty of times and never had issues.

It's probably a side effect of the battery dying. I've never heard of just one file failing, but the idea doesn't sound far-fetched.

Whoa, it's Metal Rabbit.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Welp there goes that possibility. (Im the friend borrowing his copy)

I really hope it isnt the battery kicking it. So far File 1 is working just fine and im on CH 22. Even while playing on that file I would put a copy of my file onto file 2, and after each chapter said data always erases itself.

If I didn't know better, I'd think this topic was from 2008.

These cartridges are old and people often report them dying. It's inevitable by now. I feel lucky that my own cart has shown no signs of dying any time soon.

I think you can replace the internal battery. I've only done that with bootleg gba games, but i think it might work with legit ones as well.

That said, it might be a bit risky.

There probably isn't an internal battery in a legit copy of blazing sword. The only GBA games that had a replaceable battery were the pokemon main games (because that's what powered the internal clock) and a few earlier ones. It became standard to use flash memory for saving at around the time FE7 would have been in production. Pirated copies seem to have the 2025 type batteries to fuel their saving ability. I've replaced the battery in emerald before, it's not too hard.