Aura Wolf's Crap a Snap Pack

Aura Wolf

Because I am a copycat, I have decided to release some free-to-use maps for those of us that want to hack, but can't make super pretty maps and don't feel like learning to.

All of the maps included are available for Tiled users, but some are done in Mappy. They are more or less identical, so feel free to use the one that you are more comfortable with.

Oh, and if you like one of the FE8 tileset maps, but want to use it in your FE7 hack, or maybe even vice versa, then I would recommend giving this topic a visit.

Downloads

Here are a few of the 76 maps included:

Spoiler

TyhOI5j.png

dU0nesy.png

0RArJSa.png

SX396LZ.png

0PIudfe.png

v5OZxTP.png

Happy hacking for maybe two and a half people!

Edited by Aura Wolf

I'm well pleased by this, free maps are bomb and they at the very least serve as some inspiration for making my own map ;) Thanks Aura!

Thanks!

Glad to hear they're providing another service (motivation) as well =)

First annoying bug thing found:

Looks cool and I attempted to try them out but got this error.

Ah yes, this is the main reason why I hate Tiled
You'll need to make sure the map you're trying to use is in five folders and to have the tiled tilesets in two folders (i.e. Tilesets -> FE7) to get the file directory thing (right term?) working properly
Example:
c9b59997e15476acbbd5c36978fadf1a.png
For future releases, I might just have the pack on my desktop and make the maps work from there, so they would only need to be in three folders (good for paths like hacking -> project -> maps or project -> chapters -> chapter
Unless anyone has an actual solution for this XD
Edited by Aura Wolf

You can just open it up in Notepad and change the source:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<map version="1.0" orientation="orthogonal" width="25" height="23" tilewidth="16" tileheight="16">
 <tileset firstgid="1" name="0A009B0C" tilewidth="16" tileheight="16">
  <image source="../../../../../Tilesets/FE7/0A009B0C.png" width="512" height="512"/>
 </tileset>
 <layer name="Tile Layer 1" width="25" height="23">
  <data encoding="base64" compression="zlib">
   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
  </data>
 </layer>
</map>

specifically the line that says

<image source="../../../../../Tilesets/FE7/0A009B0C.png" width="512" height="512"/>
just change what's in the first set of quotes to your tileset's filepath. You can directly copy from Windows Explorer if you want but you'll have to switch the slashes around (Windows Explorer brings in blackslashes, you want forward slashes)
Edited by Jubby

You can just open it up in Notepad and change the source:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<map version="1.0" orientation="orthogonal" width="25" height="23" tilewidth="16" tileheight="16">
 <tileset firstgid="1" name="0A009B0C" tilewidth="16" tileheight="16">
 </tileset>
 <layer name="Tile Layer 1" width="25" height="23">
  <data encoding="base64" compression="zlib">
   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
  </data>
 </layer>
</map>

specifically the line that says

just change what's in the first set of quotes to your tileset's filepath. You can directly copy from Windows Explorer if you want but you'll have to switch the slashes around (Windows Explorer brings in blackslashes, you want forward slashes)

Thanks, Jubby! =)

Kitty already fixed the error above this post, so no comment on that

• 2 weeks later...
The next version is coming kind of soonish!

I'll probably make at least two more maps (A boat map and a castle map) before I upload, but until then, have a look at the maps introduced in the next release:

[spoiler=New Maps]

XoUMz83.png

Ft18AHO.png

1VEZStN.png

4uPzJyH.png

v5OZxTP.png

Now is an especially great time to say any recommendations or requests for terrains I haven't covered yet, whether it's Overworld or a game specific tileset. Feedback on how the maps are in practice would also be appreciated (e.g. map x is too crowded).

This release has an additional 18 maps, tripling the total amount to 27.

The OP has also been updated to include some screenies of the maps included, so have a look if you haven't downloaded either of the releases yet and aren't use =3

Thank you everyone for the motivation, whether you posted or downloaded the first version!

Edited by Aura Wolf

• 4 months later...

Happy late Thanksgiving and Black Friday or something!

Version 2.1 is here!

The biggest update this version has is the inclusion of tile changes; every map that requires them has tile changes in both Mappy form and Tiled form.
Along with this, there are two new maps:
[spoiler=New maps!]
dU0nesy.png
42nO1HV.png

I also kinda apologize to any that went ahead and made the tile changes before this update

• 3 years later...

Version 3 is finally here!

This will probably be the final update (my ambition at the start of the project was higher than it is now), but I can't guarantee that. Here are some brief notes about the newest version:

- Map count total: 75
  - 17 new maps, 28 SF Open Source Gallery maps, and 1 map contest submission
- Different versions of maps, which are not included in the total above
  - 2 maps have enlargened versions (the maps were originally made with their smaller size in mind)
  - 8 maps have a version with minor edits (small updates to fit my current "style")
  - 2 maps have a revised version
- QOL changes
  - Map names now include the size
  - Picture folder: Each map now has a .png file you can view instead of loading the map in a map editor (or having to export the images yourself)

The mappy maps folder was not updated from v2.1 to v3. If there are any future updates, it will stay as it was in v2.1 (no more mappy maps).

Some of the maps included in the download:

Spoiler

GVxEbYF.png

1nQOkT6.png

5pEloc7.png]

m8q7lqH.png

uQpHJbu.png

Thank you all for having any interest in my work! I hope this helps you in some way.

Version 3.1 is here!

If you have already have Version 3.0, then you can download the new files here:
Upgrade Download

Otherwise, you'll want to click the following link to have all the files in the map pack:
Complete Download

This update log will be pretty brief.

- The README has been updated with new information that is useful for those new to FE hacking:
 - Fixing the file/image source/tileset not found issue
  - Inserting Tiled maps

- After typing up the new instructions in the README, I decided to make another map: FE8 Overworld 27 (a 20x26 sized map using tileset 01 00 38 03) yes, another overworld map

Spoiler

2X9OXYT.png

Edited by Aura Wolf