Turncounts start at 2:40. Turncount total is 145. I got A for Speed (as always...). E for Tactics (lolwut?). And D for survival (bullshit!).

I only recorded P-8 for the run but I have archived battery saves for all of the chapters and will record some of the maps. Is it fair to assume C4, C5, C6, C8, and C21 are the only chapters that require a recording?

Credits: The vast majority of this run was done ideas present in my old H3 run (complete recruitment), my H4 Mage run, Miikaya's H4 Efficiency thread (many of the openings for chapters), KoT's H3 thread (very handy for Rescue/Again usage).

[spoiler=Full Credit List]

P-1, P-2, P-3, P-4A, P-5, P-6O, P-7C (4-4-4-3-4-2-3 24 turns total)

Same as CR H3 run. I'm too lazy to look up who I credited with what clears right now but I will amend this section later.

P-8 (7 turns)

Balcerzaks opening in his run H3 myrm run. Instead of having myrm!MU ORKO the silver axe bandit, I have Athena weaken it for knight!MU (who should be doubled) to counter KO on EP 3. This is an old clear that I brought up when I first joined this forum however it has been made into a reasonable clear by exp modifications in the previous prologue chapters.

C1 (6 turns)

Same as CR H3 run.

C2 (6 turns)

Original clear by Miikaya.

Same as CR H3 run with whatever modifications Id already made (Iron axe forge, DK!Arran). Credit to Miikaya for the majority of the clear.

C3 (6 turns)

Original clear by PKL.

merc!Luke subbing for hunter!Ryan with Speedwing + RP. Kind of hard to describe but the positioning for Arran, MU and Palla are different and what it allows is Palla to get the boss kill and Marth to kill Mathis on the player phase with one of the cavs suiciding to Marth on the enemy phase. I dont use hunter!Gordin, instead I just use Bord to tank ballista hits on turns 1 and 4. He dies because the 2 vulneraries that could be used to keep him alive sell for 120G, his life is worthless

C3x (6 turns)

This is different from CR H3 run. Pretty close to how my H4 Mage C3x is done. The clear is done without fielding MU, but instead hunter!Luke, Linde, PK!Palla, cav!Catria, Malicia.

C4 2 Rescue (3 turns)

Video was recorded. Yubello sacrifice to protect Ogma. Yumina cant be saved after she rescues Marth. Gordin died because of positioning purposes to maximize exp gain for merc!Luke.

C5 2 Rescue (8 turns)

Video was recorded. Should be noted that some credit should be given to KoTs run for making me aware it is possible to 8-turn the map. (There is a typo in his thread though, he has C5 as 1 Rescue, it is, in fact 2 Rescue.) Obviously a more conservative opening can be done but I put MU in boss range to help get Caeda more exp.

C6 1 Hammerne, 2 Rescue (4 turns)

Video was recorded. Wingspear crit with save point on 4 for boss kill. Norne sacrificed to guarantee Frey would be able to use the save on turn 4.

C6x 1 Rescue (1 turn)

Paperblades clear.

C7 1 Rescue (4 turns)

Feena dance order is Navarre, Palla, Marth, Marth. Just kill stuff

Navarre uses saves on 2 (for Devil hit) and 4 (for boss kill).

The dragon can be spawned by standing near the edge of its attack range; you dont have to be in the attack just very close to it (see H4 Mage C7 clear if unsure).

C8 1 Rescue (2 turns)

Video was recorded. Cain sacrificed to protect Luke indirectly by having the square to Lukes left occupied and thus being able to be attacked by only one side.

C9 1 Rescue, 2 Thief (5 turns)

Similar to CR H3 run. Again credit to dondon151 for Feenas starting position. Linde, after being handed the Thief staff moves to Nosferatu-tank 1 DK. Sirius will KO that DK; Caeda and sniper!Wendell + Linde will KO 2 more DKs. cleric!Cecille is sacrificed to give the remaining DK a target that is not important to the rest of the run. Sirius will be fed the DK as well as both of the DKs Linde pulls. (Sirius gets 4 DKs on this map. Luke gets a mage and some chip exp.)

C10 (2 turns)

I killed Elrean here because I wanted to field Etzel for staff rank.

C10x (1 turn)

Same as CR H3. Credit to mjemirzian for the L-trick.

C11 2 Rescue (5 turn)

Mm... the strategy is hard to explain but do I need to? Its different from my CR H3.

Etzel doesnt need to kill any of the wyrms and Marth should follow Linde to steal her kill. If you watch my H4 C11 clear there is a spot where Linde can move to where she can kill a wyrm on turn 4 and pick up the Armscroll on 5.

C12 1 Rescue (5 turn)

Same as H4 Mage C12 except HM!Luke instead of SM!Luke. Credit to mjemirzian again for ORKO bandits idea.

This clear leaves 3 wyrms (in the north) and 1 bandit alive before seizing. Also, features Paladin!Caeda. DK!Caeda may be SPD capped and giving Caeda levels when shes SPD capped is just stupid.

C13 1 Rescue (3 turns)

Rescue Feena so she can dance Marth one turn 1 after stepping into the river and again on turn 2. Final dance is for Sirius. I might record this clear to demonstrate how to get the most amount of dragon kills.

C13x (2 turns)

Similar to CR H3 except HM!Luke ORKOing the ballista and tanking Kleine. (Athena sacrificed so Luke only takes 2 hits.) Luke gains 8 bow WEXP on this map.

C14 1 Rescue, 1 Thief (4 turns)

Feena dance Sirius, Marth, Linde, Catria.

Opening is similar to Miikayas. I used Sniper!Luke with Parthia can ORKO ice dragons on this map provided he has 20 STR and RP. I think I gave MU a Talisman because Xane didnt heal enough to tank 2 mages with just Fortify (Etzel uses physic on Sirius). I kill 18/19 dragons on this map.

C15 2 Again (4 turns)

Sort of similar to H4 Mage C15. Credit to PKL for the original clear. If Linde is placed very aggressively and you have DK!MU you can get all the items from the enemies from the village area, and the thief items and even use the save point on turn 3. Malicia danced once to use Again on Marth twice so that he can move thrice on the fourth turn and seize before the fith.

C16 1 Thief (2 turns)

Same as CR H3. I did forge crit onto a Javelin here. Also killed Astram, because Jeorge already died.

C16x (1 turn)

Kill everything except Katarina and 2 snipers and have Berserker!MU with a handaxe traded to the top of his inventory ready to counter Katerina with HM!Luke (RP and Starsphere to counter KO the Snipers). If Luke cant tank 2 snipers as an HM he will miss out on 8 bow WEXP.

C17 (4 turns)

Credit to Miikaya again. Similar to CR H3 except SM!Sirius instead of HM!Sirius and Etzel was fielded. No need to use the Rescue or Again here. Marth should be positioned in range of the longbow sniper. AI on this map and basically every map following this is very strange at times. Palla drew the warrior with crit chance I think. Im not sure if its the longbow sniper or the warrior that moves first but you might be able to force the warrior to move first by having someone like Arran or Wendell in place of Palla.

C18 1 Rescue (2 turns)

Oh jeez. I might record this map the positioning is going to take me forever to describe. It requires a General who is 4HKOd (Catria comes to mind) and MU to have 31-32 DEF with Starsphere. Marth visits village on turn 2, I get all the items and I use the save point on 1 just in case the killer lance general decides to crit Linde. This is not a Nosferatu-tank strategy.

C19 1 Rescue, 1 Again (5 turns)

Used Miikayas opening (because I failed those stupidly high benchmarks for my CR H3 opening) except MU had starsphere and Hammer. MU dislodges 2 of the generals on 1, kills the boss on 2, flees into the mountains on 3, steals a kill on 4 and kills Wolf on 5. Xane, Luke and a bunch of scrubs will handle the Paladins. I only engage 2 Warriors and only kill the thief that drops the Silver sword. Feena rescued on 5 (she can be rescued on turn 4 if the rescue is assisted to get Marth to an appropriate tile but it is unnecessary and puts Marth in harms way there is quite a bit of move leeway for this on turn 5).

C20 (5 turns)

Sort of similar to H4 Mage C20 (Sirius is a Paladin for the extra move). Apparently you can keep Midia alive by not aggroing the sniper near the NW Fortify bishop.

C20x (4 turns)

Credit to MagicBarrier16/Miikaya.

C21 1 Rescue, 1 Again (5 turns)

Video was recorded.

Credit to KoT (again not for the clear itself but the knowledge that it could be done honestly rigging or not getting Minerva to the village on turn 4 and then keeping her alive without training her is pretty amazing). I missed this in the testrun but I figured it out when I did H4 Mage run. Pull one of the wyrms from the northern group on turn 1 with MU so that Feena can be close enough on turn 2 that if she uses her full movement on turns 3-5 she can dance Marth after hes rescued, and pull the wyrms near the boss with Catria and get her into position to land a killer lance crit. Luke needs some serious durability, a robe and shield + maybe an arena level for DEF. Marths durability check isnt quite as high but he still needs to be quite durable preferably 20 DEF after RP + SoS.

C22 1 Again (4 turns)

Same as CR H3 except with HM!Sirius.

C23 1 Rescue (4 turns)

Similar to my H4 Mage C23. I used something similar to Miikayas opening except the sides are switched I think and SM!Palla replaces Etzel. Remember how I was fussing about purewaters? This chapter is why. Pretty much anyone who doesnt attack on turn 1 gets a purewater usage. I only need the starlight crit but I specifically need MU not to crit either of the dragons he attacks. +4 Mt Javelin chip + +3 Mt Dragonpike forge kills fire dragons provided MU is a max STR, A Lnc Paladin. Caeda sacrificed because I didnt have the gold to purchase robes in this run.

C24 - 3 Rescue, 1 Again (1 turn)

Minverva danced to recruit Maria and KO Lena. Maria rescues cleric!Merric. Merric recruits Elice and rescues Sirius. Sirius recruits Nyna and

Edited by commonguard

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's really obnoxious to take someone's work and immediately slightly improve on someone's record when the other person does most of the work.

Edited by Chiki

And I was telling dondon the other day on Skype that I think 145 turns is possible with rigging. I don't get what's the problem with this guy. Why did you leave SF and only come back after I'm done with my run? And then try to prove something by immediately making a run to beat mine as if this were a competition? Are you going to make me style on your rear and 140 turn you?

EDIT: This is actually direspectful.

Edited by PKL

Yeah, PKL worked really hard for his turncount, and then you come along to upstage him abruptly. How rude.

Yeah and it's also really easy to just rig everything while not recording. ZZZZZZ

I think it's really obnoxious to take someone's work and immediately slightly improve on someone's record when the other person does most of the work.

I think it's completely acceptable to "take someone's work and immediately slightly improve on someone's record," regardless of whether or not the other person does most of the work, so long as the other person receives acknowledgement. commonguard's proposal to record only a handful of maps, as well as his liberal citations of others' strategies in his previous playthrough, suggest that he does not plan to take credit for the work of PKL et al..

The videos show that PKL and commonguard adopted very different approaches to numerous maps, so the claim that commonguard has largely copied PKL's playthrough is not supported: note that PKL's playthrough has Sirius with 48 B and 26 W, while commonguard's playthrough has Sirius with 74 B and 54 W; PKL uses Ryan while commonguard uses Luke, with the most noticeable difference being in the execution in the last one or two Prologue chapters; the C23 turncount from commonguard's latest playthrough suggests that his playthrough doesn't use a ~40K Dragonpike forge; and PKL only kills off unrecruited PCs (afaik), while commonguard kills off recruited PCs.

And then try to prove something by immediately making a run to beat mine as if this were a competition?

There is no need to be offended by this playthrough. The point of many mentally stimulating games is to improve our understanding of the game, to figure out which moves are optimal. The playthrough and forthcoming videos simply point out what the best moves, to the best of his knowledge, are; it should be clear that he is not claiming sole credit for the 145-turn clear.

Yeah and it's also really easy to just rig everything while not recording. ZZZZZZ

commonguard has promised recordings. We can't really speak for the reliability of his clears until seeing them.

He came out of seemingly nowhere just after I finished my playthrough with an improved turncount in the same style of playthrough though. It's honestly very weird :/

commonguard's proposal to record only a handful of maps, as well as his liberal citations of others' strategies in his previous playthrough, suggest that he does not plan to take credit for the work of PKL et al..

Thanks for your great pop-psychological analysis After all, since a "proposal to record only a handful of maps" is definitely a sign of a thank you to PKL, and not a sign of laziness on his part. There wasn't a single thank you in the post, nor did commonguard bother to express how much he appreciated PKL's work.

I'm sure PKL and others would be much happier with it if commonguard at least said how much he owed to PKL's videos. Instead, commonguard didn't even bother to thank him, and he quickly one-upped PKL right after he finished his videos and took the time recording them. commonguard only took his strategies and improved on them a little bit with rigging.

It's obvious that commonguard took PKL's strategies, since commonguard's previous record was trash. It's thanks to PKL that he improved on it so much. He could've at least said thank you. But wait! Offering to only record the rigged videos is a "thank you" too, right?

It doesn't mean crap if Sirius has 30 more kills. My Soren has a lot more kills in the latest LTC playthrough, but my strategies are very similar to a previous playthrough.

Edited by Chiki

I agree with PKL and Chiki that you should at least have given credit to PKL for the strategies you adopted from his- or just posted your changed strategies in his topic as suggested amendments, if there are any chapters where turns haven't been saved just by rigging.

I also think that you should change the topic title because when I clicked on it from the new threads list I thought it was a fftf thread about penises.

Thanks for your great pop-psychological analysis After all, since a "proposal to record only a handful of maps" is definitely a sign of a thank you to PKL, and not a sign of laziness on his part. There wasn't a single thank you in the post, nor did commonguard bother to express how much he appreciated PKL's work.

Pop psychology has a very specific meaning, one that does not encompass "obvious inferences that Chiki hasn't made." You need only look at commonguard's previous topic to see that he does cite PKL, dondon, KoT, and others liberally; to conclude that he is aware that readers of his previous topic would recall those explicit citations; etc. If in fact he has used some of PKL's map strategies, then duh, of course he is being lazy in failing to cite PKL accordingly. But regardless of whether he independently developed many of his map-specific strategies or he simply used the work of others, it should be clear that, given that we all have access to the work that PKL and commonguard have previously done, many maps are simply not worth re-recording. At no point did I claim the proposal to record only a handful of maps to be equivalent to an explicit citation of PKL's work; I claimed simply that commonguard, given his previous topic, is unlikely to be intentionally taking credit for what PKL and others have done. I take no responsibility for the phantoms of your imagination.

commonguard only took his strategies and improved on them a little bit with rigging. [...] Offering to only record the rigged videos is a "thank you" too, right?

None of this follows from what we know of the playthrough.

It doesn't mean crap if Sirius has 30 more kills. My Soren has a lot more kills in the latest LTC playthrough, but my strategies are very similar to a previous playthrough

Of course it does. Sirius with 26 kills is a role player, while Sirius with 54 kills is a starter. Even getting Sirius to 54 kills when playing at this 145-150 turn pace requires some trickery given the game's low enemy density and emphasis on the player phase.

The only question I can really think of after reading this is: "What was the point of this?" Because I really can't figure it out.[/QUOOTE]

this

though I guess part of the problem is that I'm a casual FE player compared to some people on this forum...

Whether you believe me or not is up to you but I havent seen anything since C4 of PKLs run. And how is a 3-turn of C4 a slight improvement? Are you familiar with the maps in this game?

And I was telling dondon the other day on Skype that I think 145 turns is possible with rigging. I don't get what's the problem with this guy. Why did you leave SF and only come back after I'm done with my run? And then try to prove something by immediately making a run to beat mine as if this were a competition? Are you going to make me style on your rear and 140 turn you?

EDIT: This is actually direspectful.

Because I have access to your skype conversations with me obviously being such great friends with you and dondon151 right? Oh wait, didnt dondon151 call me a liar once before for basically no reason and insult me in sub-forums I never bothered to post in? Yeah, disrespectful

Lol. You wish I was a bad as you. Btw as the title would suggest, its an open challenge to beat the turncount so go ahead and try.

It's obvious that commonguard took PKL's strategies, since commonguard's previous record was trash. It's thanks to PKL that he improved on it so much. He could've at least said thank you. But wait! Offering to only record the rigged videos is a "thank you" too, right?

If 173 for complete recruitment is trash then PKL's 150 in complete recruitment run is basically shit. I peg reasonable minimum being at 166 (1 above KoT's run). And lol at your implications that I improved because of PKL. I had already finished a testrun of Incomplete Recruitment H3 in mid-April at 149 turns http://youtu.be/xpMyjC1qgPg and again have you seen the turn counts? PKL apparently doesn't even think 145 is possible without rigging (lolwhatascrub).

Seriously, go suck PKL's dick somewhere else. Kay?

I agree with PKL and Chiki that you should at least have given credit to PKL for the strategies you adopted from his- or just posted your changed strategies in his topic as suggested amendments, if there are any chapters where turns haven't been saved just by rigging.

I also think that you should change the topic title because when I clicked on it from the new threads list I thought it was a fftf thread about penises.

Why is everyone jumping to the conclusion that I'm using PKL's strategies?

And credit will be given for his C3 clear. I have no issue with giving people credit where its due.

every map is worth re-recording. one of the functional reasons that i record playthroughs in full is to rule out any cheating.

Many of them are really not. When I recorded my H4 Mage (complete recruitment with villages visited) I found myself recording pretty much the same strategies for all but C4, C13 (5 turns now), and C17 and apart from C13 none of them are relevant to LTC so no one here will care anyway.

Playlist here if you want to watch 20+ maps with the same strategies http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX-Vj6mr54GkvCVlmu_6p8696y0WtbXJj.

And I couldnt give a shit if you think Im cheating (whatever the fuck that means in a single player game). Youre the same clown who called me a liar when I said you could get Sirius to level 13 without detriment to the rest of the team.

Of course it does. Sirius with 26 kills is a role player, while Sirius with 54 kills is a starter. Even getting Sirius to 54 kills when playing at this 145-150 turn pace requires some trickery given the game's low enemy density and emphasis on the player phase.

Nah, it just requires favouritism in the form of Feena dancing, sacrifices, and telling Luke to go find exp elsewhere in the early game.

Thanks for speaking in my defence but I think the video below will do more to squash these retarded claims that I'm copying PKL's strategies.

The rest of what I said will be recorded and uploaded by tomorrow morning.

Lol...this guy. He thinks he's the shit because he 3 turned C4 by sacrificing Yumina. That strat is known. And while I don't think I have to prove anything to something like you, who twists words and reply in anger (seriously when did dondon say you were cheating?) to anything, I WILL beat your turncount.

Pop psychology has a very specific meaning, one that does not encompass "obvious inferences that Chiki hasn't made." You need only look at commonguard's previous topic to see that he does cite PKL, dondon, KoT, and others liberally; to conclude that he is aware that readers of his previous topic would recall those explicit citations; etc. If in fact he has used some of PKL's map strategies, then duh, of course he is being lazy in failing to cite PKL accordingly. But regardless of whether he independently developed many of his map-specific strategies or he simply used the work of others, it should be clear that, given that we all have access to the work that PKL and commonguard have previously done, many maps are simply not worth re-recording. At no point did I claim the proposal to record only a handful of maps to be equivalent to an explicit citation of PKL's work; I claimed simply that commonguard, given his previous topic, is unlikely to be intentionally taking credit for what PKL and others have done. I take no responsibility for the phantoms of your imagination.

None of this follows from what we know of the playthrough.

I found myself recording pretty much the same strategies for all but C4, C13 (5 turns now), and C17 and apart from C13 none of them are relevant to LTC so no one here will care anyway.

Playlist here if you want to watch 20+ maps with the same strategies

He already admitted it lol, so you're plain wrong. Very mature of you to come into a thread just to argue.

Seriously, go suck PKL's dick somewhere else. Kay?

You're the one who should be sucking PKL's dick by thanking him. I'd stand up for anyone whose strategies got copied and slightly improved upon like this (same thing happened with Vykan12's speedrun strategy).

Lol. You wish I was a bad as you.

Come on, your first turncount was in the 170s...

Lol...this guy. He thinks he's the shit because he 3 turned C4 by sacrificing Yumina. That strat is known. And while I don't think I have to prove anything to something like you, who twists words and reply in anger (seriously when did dondon say you were cheating?) to anything, I WILL beat your turncount.

Shit's getting serious!!

Edited by Chiki

The only question I can really think of after reading this is: "What was the point of this?" Because I really can't figure it out.

this

though I guess part of the problem is that I'm a casual FE player compared to some people on this forum...

Here's an idea: leave it alone and don't post if it's something that doesn't matter to you.

And I couldnt give a shit if you think Im cheating (whatever the fuck that means in a single player game). Youre the same clown who called me a liar when I said you could get Sirius to level 13 without detriment to the rest of the team.

lol dude, just listen to yourself here. whatever i said about sirius is a complete non sequitur to your ridiculous accusation that i think you're cheating! evidently i had been proven wrong on that matter, but i have no intention to be apologetic about it - though you will claim to not want my apology anyway despite a willingness to introduce an event that is so utterly irrelevant.

let me make it clear that i had posted an entirely neutral statement in this thread with zero intention of fighting. if you want to continue this, you do so at your own risk. thanks.

every map is worth re-recording. one of the functional reasons that i record playthroughs in full is to rule out any cheating.

I like seeing re-recordings because the odds of all units having the exact same stats as another run is really low, unless someone's replicating dondon's 0%.

That being said, I originally thought that the topic title was a comment on whether or not I should watch the videos. As I haven't watched the videos, I can't say whether or not this was based off of PKL's work. After reading the topic, I think that you, commonguard, could definitely tone down both the topic title and your responses - even if your work is fully original, the manner in which you're responding to those that doubt you doesn't speak in favor of your case. Let your videos speak for themselves.

Edited by eclipse

He already admitted it lol, so you're plain wrong. Very mature of you to come into a thread just to argue.

Whilst I have no stance on whether Commonguard should credit PKL or not, I think Miikaya's posts were actually very mature and offered a justifiable defence, as well as being reasonable. On the other hand, I can't take you, PKL or Commonguard seriously on the matter given the clear angst and rudeness provided by both sides.

If Commonguard can get a lower turn count than the current record, than all the power to him, even if it means taking other peoples strategies. With that said, I completely agree one should be credited if their work (ie. strategies) were basically taken/improved upon.

Edited by SlipperySlippy

Whilst I have no stance on whether Commonguard should credit PKL or not, I think Miikaya's posts were actually very mature and offered a justifiable defence, as well as being reasonable

Maybe you should reread the post. I said his reason for posting was immature, not the posts themselves.

Come on, even commonguard basically proved him dead wrong. His defense was horrific and completely unjustified, which makes me think he came in here just to be a dick. He gave a ridiculous "defense" based on how commonguard intended to "credit" PKL's strategies because he only offered to record a few videos. Instead, commonguard called him a scrub. He said commonguard didn't cheat from him by citing the fact that Sirius got 30 more kills and using Luke instead of Rody or something like that (I can't even remember the names of the units in this game). commonguard said the strategies were mostly the same.

I'm not angry at all. I have no reason to be angry, so I'm not sure why you took my posts that way. Just being honest.

Pop psychology has a very specific meaning,

You basically attempted to infer the reason for commonguard's behavior from his behavior itself, which is exactly what psychology is. The methods of analysis, on the other hand, is what makes it pop-psychology.

Edited by Chiki

imo appropriate response is to clear the game in 1 turn YEAH PKL U CAN DO IT

No, he should aim for a negative turn count, that reminds me of Darro's Aideen draft for some reason.

One thing I don't quite understand is why we're all assuming that the run is a rip-off of PKL's. Surely when you're whittling down to that kind of turn count, a lot of strats are going to end up at least somewhat similar. Still, the attitudes and mud-slinging kinda suck. It's not exactly the same, there are set ways to do things in drafts, which everybody tends to do. This has basically devolved into "my run's better".

Still, videos would be dandy, just for my own curiosity!

I like seeing re-recordings because the odds of all units having the exact same stats as another run is really low, unless someone's replicating dondon's 0%.

this is one of the implications of my point. recording a run in full establishes continuity when it comes to training units, and EXP distribution is proving to be increasingly important in LTC runs for all games.

it's quite likely that, especially in a game without rescuing, some strategies are going to be discovered independently.