Why do people like Chrom x Olivia?

I think ChromxOlivia would only be justified from a gameplay perspective if Lucina and Inigo became uber as a result. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. It isn't really a problem when grinding but in no-grind you won't want to have a Lucina with low stats. I use Sumia despite not liking her character because well, it's just too convenient to have her ferry Chrom around. Since my waifu is Cordelia, this means my two strongest units (Chrom and me) are paired with high mobility units.

There are lots of things that happen in this world that are considered unrealistic to many people. That doesn't give it a free pass for something unrealistic to happen in a story without going into it even a little. Because let's face it, most if not all FE games have had an "unrealistic" love system. Talk to someone three times in FE7 and FE8, and you're in love and married at the end of the game. Sometimes with no other bits of dialogue aside from those supports. But they at least SHOW that development happening so we can sort of accept it.

Chrom/Olivia don't get to support in the game. The only time you see their supports is when Chrom is married to someone else, in which you CAN'T marry her. That's what people don't like. A game with unrealistic love supports that are made believable through support conversations. And this is a pair in which you don't even get that?

Basically, feel free to like Chrom/Olivia all you want. If it makes sense to you, more power to you. But PLEASE stop telling people they're incorrect for believing that Chrom/Olivia is unrealistic. They're not incorrect.

What happens if you go ChromxOlivia? I'm afraid a bit of imagination is required. If Chrom doesn't have a C support with any of the other girls he can marry at that point, he's likely not too interested in them. If he stays close to Olivia a lot during Chapter 11, he could develop at least some gratitude for Olivia supporting him, and he might want to get to know her better, as he does in his supports with her. He wins the war, and in two or three months he and Olivia start to know each other very well. Maybe a kiss happens and they realize their feelings for each other. But then, because Chrom is now king, there's the pressure for him to find a wife (it's in the script). Since he's already kissed Olivia, he might do a leap of faith and say, "why not?". Then they get married.

I think that, since ChromxOlivia's support goes directly from zero to S, it's safe to assume that at least some time happens between them and, considering Chrom, as per game rules, isn't interested in any other girl, it's plausible that he develops feelings for the only girl he had further contact with.

Edited by Bird Jesus

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of you saying that a romance between Chrom and Olivia would be unrealistic, that is incorrect.

It is one thing to have an opinion if it is realistic or unrealistic.

It is another thing to declare people are "wrong" in regards to it justifying from your own personal experience.

I admit, I had another thing you said eating at me that I almost responded by lashing out at you again.

You are free to like a pairing. And justify the reasons why you like it.

To justify that it is "canon" second only to the developers choice with subjective material is another completely different thing.

In the two years that I've had Awakening and browsing both Japanese and English forums... you are the first that I've seen to push Chrom x Olivia as the "second canon".

I ask you in the calmest fashion possible, even with my waifu bias gone.

"Why does the pairing you like have to be hinted as a second canon"? "Why are you so attached to your pairings being official"?

What happens if you go ChromxOlivia? I'm afraid a bit of imagination is required. If Chrom doesn't have a C support with any of the other girls he can marry at that point, he's likely not too interested in them. If he stays close to Olivia a lot during Chapter 11, he could develop at least some gratitude for Olivia supporting him, and he might want to get to know her better, as he does in his supports with her. He wins the war, and in two or three months he and Olivia start to know each other very well. Maybe a kiss happens and they realize their feelings for each other. But then, because Chrom is now king, there's the pressure for him to find a wife (it's in the script). Since he's already kissed Olivia, he might do a leap of faith and say, "why not?". Then they get married.

Dude, I WRITE. You don't have to tell me that Chrom/Olivia requires a fuckton of imagination. And while I've come up with a way to justify Chrom/Olivia happening for my own story, that it requires headcanon to even have development when you marry them can be a deal breaker to some people, you know?

Excuse me, maybe I didn't know that it can't be fact whether or not something is realistic.

And I said I used the term "canon" loosely. To me, no pairings in the game are really canon, not even Chrom x Sumia.

Dude, I WRITE. You don't have to tell me that Chrom/Olivia requires a fuckton of imagination. And while I've come up with a way to justify Chrom/Olivia happening for my own story, that it requires headcanon to even have development when you marry them can be a deal breaker to some people, you know?

Ok... But the game is largely different from a fanfic. In the game supports can happen out of the necessity of gameplay. In my last save Stahl and Miriel got to A before I started to put Stahl with Panne (my intended pair), and not because I wanted to but to give Miriel a little more defense.

Another difference is that, in a story, a relationship isn't necessarily progressive like it is in the game. A couple may be close to "the kiss", then something happens that makes one doubt the other or something like that (a setback), and from there they could separate or resolve their differences and become together. In the game you can only go from C-B-A-S and even married characters are allowed to flirt with other characters (biggest examples are Virion and Cordelia). Love isn't arithmetic, but for gameplay reasons it has to become arithmetic in a game, especially a 3DS one (with limited storage and processing power).

That said, I completely understand your point, but, if you're writing a fic and you want Chrom and Olivia together because it can happen in the game, you'll have to be creative and add more characterization to what the game offers. With every possible relationship in the game it's like that, ChromxOlivia just requires more because it doesn't happen on screen.

Really, I just get miffed at the fact that people throw the word "canon" around so easily.

It has the feeling that it's now a buzzword that says "hey I like this pairing!".

The fact that Megabolganone has to make a post justifying the little nitpicks on what is and isn't practical/believable in the context of Awakening shows how questionable the word "canon" in any sense of the term Chrom x Olivia is.

Not even close to a "second" in any shape or form.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Really, I just get miffed at the fact that people throw the word "canon" around so easily.

It has the feeling that it's now a buzzword that says "hey I like this pairing!".

The fact that Megabolganone has to make a post justifying the little nitpicks on what is and isn't practical/believable in the context of Awakening shows how questionable the word "canon" in any sense of the term Chrom x Olivia is.

Not even close to a "second" in any shape or form.

You're right, I don't think the devs intended for any pair to be canon. Otherwise Chrom would only be able to marry Sumia.

I have tried this pairing a few times. In general I prefer Sumia to be paired with Chrom, primarily because Sumia is a better combat unit that can utilize Chrom more effectively (100% Dual Strike).

However,

When I use the ChromxSumia pairing I never seem to know what to do with Olivia. I've tried OliviaxStahl, OliviaxLibra, OliviaxRicken, OliviaxHenry and OliviaxLon'qu, Stahl honestly felt like one of the better pairings because I tended to like having Inigo be physical (the only problem is Stahl is in high demand for many of the children). Inigo as a physical unit needs very little to be effective (Olivia gives him most of his tool box) adding Luna and a positive str modifier is enough. Chrom easily gives Inigo what he wants to be a physical unit. Utilizing ChromxOliva lets you use SumiaxHenry which arguably produces a better Cynthia (but Henry is another parent that has multiple uses and is a surprisingly good father!).

You can do some silly things with Dancer Olivia and Paladin/Sniper Chrom. Example: Give a maxed out Olivia boots and put her in Dancer with Limit breaker, Astra, Swordfaire, Galeforce and All stats+2 or special dance and have Chrom supporting with Limit breaker, Dual Strike+, Aggressor, Sword/Bowfaire and all stats+2 or Dual Guard+. Have Olivia lead the attack (this needs boots, movement 5 doesn't cut it), with a brave sword and Chrom supporting she can easily take down most enemies, trigger galeforce but don't use her again just yet. Follow up with your other units and as your battle line moves up Olivia can fix an attack that went wrong (by getting that unit to act again with special dance) or just let a completed galeforcer go again. Is this optimal? no... but it is pretty amusing.

I guess I'll answer this. Any dad that gives Inigo Luna is a winner. Stahl, Freddy, Ricken, Kellam, and Chrom are all good for Inigo.

I'm pretty sure the dev's tried to show off Chrom x Sumia is because they don't want people getting angry when Chrom gets randomly married. I'd imagine Olivia is there for those who haven't been using his previous wives/they all died as a last ditch effort to get Chrom hitched to an actual unit and not some Maiden.

As for Chrom x Olivia, the way I pick my team si tha tI choose some units I like,Olivia being one unit I like. I don't "ship" anyone with anyone, and I don't really care who marries who. But, I will have people pair off because I cannot deny how useful pair up is. I also don't really care about the kids much, and I don't care about max stat optimization or anything like that. So yes, I have had Chrom and Olivia end up together, but really only because they could end up together.

To be honest the most important factor is how the unit sounds when they crit/skill activate because you hear those a lot and annoying voices can be very grating. (for me)

Olivia!Lucina > Sumia!Lucina. To get to that magic 75 needed to double like 7 enemies in the game, just use a Speed Tonic.

Chrom x Olivia family is honestly better than Chrom x Sumia family. I've always liked the idea of Inigo being Chrom's son and their parent convos fit well, despite being generic. The offensive perks of the latter don't really matter much because Pair-up breaks everything already.

Although apparently the Apotheosis hype hasn't worn out yet even after a year...

Olivia!Lucina > Sumia!Lucina. To get to that magic 75 needed to double like 7 enemies in the game, just use a Speed Tonic.

Does speed on Lucina even matter if you're going for 100% back row dual attack setups?

Olivia!Lucina is strictly physical.

If she's going to be in the front, she has to pick from ranged or braves. While Maribelle/Sumia mods favor Celica's Gale for that map.

The offensive perks of the latter don't really matter much because Pair-up breaks everything already.

By that logic, "the offensive perks of the former don't really matter much because Pair-up breaks everything already".

...why were you even comparing gameplay in the first place then?

Edited by shadowofchaos

Does speed on Lucina even matter if you're going for 100% back row dual attack setups?

Olivia!Lucina is strictly physical.

If she's going to be in the front, she has to pick from ranged or braves. While Maribelle/Sumia mods favor Celica's Gale for that map.

By that logic, "the offensive perks of the former don't really matter much because Pair-up breaks everything already".

...why were you even comparing gameplay in the first place then?

Speed is a pretty irrelevant stat in Apo. A General could probably double some generic fodder with enough help.

I don't really like the front-back term everyone seems to have incorporated into the post-game. Galeforce or not, you can clear a crowd pretty easily if you know how to and aren't afraid of losing some HP.

...I guess. The small strength/magic modifiers aren't that big of a deal honestly, but str/mag > spd for inheritance if we had to prioritize for some stats.

Olivia!Lucina needs Vaike!Gerome!Morgan or Ricken!Laurent!Morgan to accomplish a special VVDS+ set which makes Lucina lead.

For general VVDS+ that Lucina supports, Olivia!Lucina < Sumia/Maribelle/FeMU!Lucina due to the lack of Tomefaire.

You can dance abuse if you have a few second seals to spare.

...but do you REALLY want to sit there for a few hundred turns?

I wonder if I'm the only one who got some Men Without Hats stuck in my head after reading this.

I'm not seeing it when Olivia!Lucina is strictly physical, and Swordfaire (AKA, just about the only notable skill Olivia passes down) is a flat-out losing trade relative to Tomefaire.

I did Chrom x Olivia for the fun of it (Which is how fe should be played outside ltc. A lot of you take this way too seriously)

Did it more for Inigo because I made Olivia an assassin that run and was hilariously good

Chrom x Olivia family is honestly better than Chrom x Sumia family. I've always liked the idea of Inigo being Chrom's son and their parent convos fit well, despite being generic. The offensive perks of the latter don't really matter much because Pair-up breaks everything already.

Although apparently the Apotheosis hype hasn't worn out yet even after a year...

It's cool if you like the family dynamic of Chrolivia more, but you shouldn't conflate it with gameplay. By virtue of have Sage access alone Sumia!Lucina beats Olivia!Lucina.

A Bunch Of Posts In The Last Page

*raises finger to speak*

Oooh, shots fired.

Ahh---

lbTHKbh.gif

Now then..im one of those pinheads who kinda digs Rightful King for procs and i like Inigo having that. Plus hes rather dashing with the blue hair.

You can dance abuse if you have a few second seals to spare.

...but do you REALLY want to sit there for a few hundred turns?

I wonder if I'm the only one who got some Men Without Hats stuck in my head after reading this.

DAMMIT. Why?

Interceptor, I can't get rid of it now.

Edited by shadowofchaos

DAMMIT. Why?

Interceptor, I can't get rid of it now.

♫ You can Dance if you want to,

If you have Second Seals to spare,

'Cause if you can Dance and begin a romance,

Then Inigo will have blue hair. ♫

Edited by Interceptor

omg. Someone should sig this.

Of course ChromxOlivia is canon. "Inigo" is a corruption of "indigo". Chrom has indigo hair. Chrom's offspring ends with Chrom's hair colors. Chrom is, thus, the only parent who gives Inigo indigo-colored hair. So, Chrom is Inigo's canon father.

Who cares that his name in Japanese is "Azure" anyways, that's only a technicality.

Of course ChromxOlivia is canon. "Inigo" is a corruption of "indigo". Chrom has indigo hair. Chrom's offspring ends with Chrom's hair colors. Chrom is, thus, the only parent who gives Inigo indigo-colored hair. So, Chrom is Inigo's canon father.

You forgot blue-haired male MU

Who cares that his name in Japanese is "Azure" anyways, that's only a technicality.

Hoenn confurmd.

This.... this is genius.

Edited by Ownagepuffs

It's cool if you like the family dynamic of Chrolivia more, but you shouldn't conflate it with gameplay. By virtue of have Sage access alone Sumia!Lucina beats Olivia!Lucina.

I didn't... you thought that I thought my personal reasons influenced my gameplay reasons which... they do not. And I thought every female has to be a Dark Flier because of how overpowered Dark Flier x Sage couples are?

I'm not seeing it when Olivia!Lucina is strictly physical, and Swordfaire (AKA, just about the only notable skill Olivia passes down) is a flat-out losing trade relative to Tomefaire.

Why is Lucina forced to go magical? Units like Gerome are assumed to physical so why can't other units do the same? Is it because of mod issues?