Do You Think All Playable SSB4 Characters Will Get Amiibo Figures?

Randoman

Do you think all playable SSB4 characters will get amiibo figures?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think all playable SSB4 characters will get amiibo figures?

• Yes
    • No
    • Almost All of Them Likely Will (above 90% of the playable cast)
    • I Have No Idea

Do you think all playable SSB4 characters will get amiibo figures? I'm asking since a quite a few people in the SSB4 Thread think that every playable SSB4 character will get an amiibo figure, but as nice and fair (in terms of equal treatment among all the playable SSB4 characters) as that sounds, I think it'll be quite hard and unfeasible doing that.

I mean, there's the 3rd party characters to take into account. Even if a 3rd party company is completely okay with Sakurai having their character in Smash Bros., there's still tons of paperwork and costs (even in a case like Snake's where Kojima begged Sakurai to put him in Smash Bros). The fact that amiibo isn't exclusive to Smash Bros. and is its own thing (amiibo will be used by plenty of other games and in a way is its own IP. I hope you guys get what I mean by this) also means that they'll need to license the 3rd party characters twice, essentially doubling the paperwork and costs just to accommodate the 3rd party characters as amiibo figures. Plus, the developers of amiibo may not necessarily be as lenient with guest characters as amiibo as much as Sakurai is with guest characters in Smash Bros.

Even without taking guest status into consideration, there's also the issue of really obscure characters having amiibo figures, and it essentially not being worth it money and effort wise. I mean, making amiibo of all the playable SSB4 Mario universe characters (including Donkey Kong and Wario) is highly feasible due to all the announced Mario universe games that are compatible with Amiibo (Mario Kart 8, Mario Party 10, Yoshi's Woolly World, and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker). Having amiibo of Marth and Ike (despite them being a lot lesser known than other Nintendo characters) would be feasible enough since they'll likely be compatible with SMT x FE and the new upcoming Wii U FE game, so it's not like they'll only be useful for Smash Bros. But characters like the Ice Climbers and R.O.B.? Smash Bros. will probably the only game their amiibo will be compatible with for quite a while, and even if a game that's compatible with every amiibo comes out, I don't think they'll be getting enough money from their amiibo to be feasible (even when considering the "collect every amiibo" completionists). And keep in mind, I say this as a huge Ice Climbers and R.O.B. fan. I really enjoy the retro characters in Smash Bros. and find it awesome that Smash Bros. breathes life into old characters and gives them the spotlight, but even I can acknowledge when something isn't feasible cost-wise. Yeah, I know the Wii Fit Trainer has been confirmed to have her own amiibo figure so that'll likely mean that it's not just the super popular/iconic-to-Nintendo characters that will be getting amiibo. Still, I can't imagine each and every obscure playable character in Smash Bros. getting an amiibo figure (some of the obscure ones, sure, but all of the obscure ones likely wouldn't be worth it). Even if it would be nice and awesome, it doesn't sound feasible cost, time, and resource wise to make each and every playable SSB4 character, no matter how obscure, as an amiibo figure.

So what do you guys think after reading my points? I'm not trying to be a downer or anything. I'm just trying to be realistic and trying to figure out what'll most likely happen from a realistic point of view, taking the positives and negatives into account (though since fan praise is the main positive and there's no much to go into detail there, I didn't really cover it). You guys are more than welcome to argue against my points.

I hope I'm not being overly optimistic but I do want every character to have an amiibo. Simply because some characters just don't have a whole lot of merchandise, I think that adds a lot of value to the fans of niche franchises. There are no Ike figurines (at least not official ones) that I know of, so I really hope he has one, and same with Marth. WFT is confirmed already and she's far from the most popular character, so I hope Nintendo is even-handed with their treatment of the cast. Casting figures these days is easier than ever before, so yeah... fingers crossed no one gets skipped. I guess 3rd party characters are on the sketchiest ground, but at the same time Namco Bandai has been producing Mario Kart figurines for Nintendo already so I can easily see Pac-Man included. Capcom and Sega both have their own product lines so who knows.

I don't see why every character WOULDN'T get a figure personally. It wouldn't be fair if some characters didn't and as Samias pointed out, some characters lack official merchandise.

Also, where is it ever said that the same individual Amiibo will be compatible with multiple games? I can't even imagine how that would be possible due to just how much data the figure would need to be able to hold.

Also, where is it ever said that the same individual Amiibo will be compatible with multiple games? I can't even imagine how that would be possible due to just how much data the figure would need to be able to hold.

Doesn't the game just scan the figure's base? You could fit a lot in the base, potentially.

Not sure what the Amiibo chips will be like, but you've got stuff like Micro-SDHC cards storing 32 GB of data and they're pretty dang small.

Edited by VincentASM

Yeah, but as more games are released, that space will fill up. Also, Smash Bros.'s Amiibos are based off of the official art for the game. I can't imagine them being compatible with other games.

Yeah, but as more games are released, that space will fill up. Also, Smash Bros.'s Amiibos are based off of the official art for the game. I can't imagine them being compatible with other games.

Even 32 GB? What do you think they're going to store?

Full games inside Amiibos? That would be awesome though.

Super Mario 3D World, the game, isn't even 2 GB. Mario Kart 8 is barely 8 GB.

Edited by VincentASM

They've said specifically that a single character Amiibo will be compatible with more than one game. Some of the more popular characters (like Mario) may get more than one figure down the road, but as it stands right now, Amiibos are meant to be compatible with every compatible game.

You can store save data for like, a thousand games in a single Gigabyte. I'm sure file size and storage space are the least of the problems.

Considering most of them are trading figure size which are worth about 5 to 10 bucks, with memory data included, the data would be really small and most skylanders are 10 to 15 bucks. So I wouldn't be surprised if it only holds very few data and not in the gb range.

Where did they say this? That's what I'm asking here. And I recall someone, I think Reggie, holding a different Mario figure than the one where he's in his Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS art pose.

Sigh...

http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2014/06/24/reggie-fils-aime-amiibo-can-significant-impact-wii-u-sales/

“What I would tell you is that we do believe the cross-game play is a big advantage for us,” Fils-Aime affirmed. “And having a Mario figure that could be potentially used in not only Smash Bros. but also in Mario Kart as well as in Mario Party 10. We think that’s a pretty strong competitive advantage.

“The specifics of the gameplay will be unique to the game, and it is really up to the developer to program. So you will have a developer create a mechanism like what Mr. Sakurai is doing, where it really is a leveling up mechanic. And you’ll have other developers taking different approaches. You might have a developer decide, you know what, I want to reward someone who has purchased multiple Mario games, and that really has given Mario uber powers. That’s the way he’ll program it.”

As easy as a Google search.

I don't think all characters will be getting amiibo figures.

I can't imagine the third party characters will get them (sonic, pac man, mega man), from my perspective that would be strange since they are specifically for smash, and nintendo mentioned that the amiibos would be used in multiple games. I guess it is possible that only certain amiibos would be usable for certain games...

Edited by VenosaurusRex

A Zelda one is already made! SWEEEEEEEEEEET! Just gotta wait for Zero Suit and Ike! And probably Palutena and Little Mac.

And of course, I think all SSB4 characters will get one. Well, I certainly hope so. I NEED a Zero Suit amiibo.

Well, at least Ike is practically guaranteed to get one since Marth did. I mean, why give one FE rep an Amiibo and not the other? :P That one image from E3 implied that FE would get Amiibos in general too.

I can't wait for Ike and Luigi though, wee.

So, by that logic, that means Zero Suit will have one, because Samus has one. i love logic.

Imma collect all of the amiibos (assuming all SSB4 characters will have one) except for Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Sonic, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Pac Man, Charizard, Yoshi, Mii Fighters, Greninja, Lucario, Dedede, Toon Link, Link, Sheik, Olimar, Kirby, Fox, Bowser, Pit, Mega Man, and Pikachu.

So, just Peach, Zelda, Marth, Ike, Palutena, Rosalina, and ZERO SUIT SAMUUUUUUS.

Yep, I've no doubt Zero Suit Samus will get one too!

I just want Ike, Luigi, and Toon Link. I'd get Link too, but I'm just more interested in Toon Link right now since I don't yet have a figure for him. I already have a Skyward Sword Link figure. lol

Well, at least Ike is practically guaranteed to get one since Marth did. I mean, why give one FE rep an Amiibo and not the other?

How do you figure that? If we're to assume not every character will have an amiibo, I'd much sooner say the opposite; Marth would likely represent Fire Emblem in general in that case. Especially since an Ike amiibo is unlikely to have unique use elsewhere.

As for the topic question, it's hard to say at the moment. I'd really like to think they all will, but it ultimately depends on how much they can reasonably be used for and how much they'll cost (both production and consumption).

How do you figure that? If we're to assume not every character will have an amiibo, I'd much sooner say the opposite; Marth would likely represent Fire Emblem in general in that case. Especially since an Ike amiibo is unlikely to have unique use elsewhere.

Except other franchises are getting more than one Amiibo. Zelda series has Link and Zelda already, Mario has the red-clad plumber himself and Peach, etc. By your logic, Luigi shouldn't get an Amiibo either because Mario and Peach are already there to represent that series and Luigi is arguably the most popular character in the series (I see his merchandise sell out all the time, personally. I have a hard time finding it unlike Mario and Peach and even Yoshi stuff). There would be a lot of fan rage if Luigi lacked an Amiibo. Also, a lot of other fans would shit the fan if Ike didn't get a figure. He's got a nice size fanbase of his own.

Edited by Anacybele

Except other franchises are getting more than one Amiibo. Zelda series has Link and Zelda already, Mario has the red-clad plumber himself and Peach, etc. By your logic, Luigi shouldn't get an Amiibo either because Mario and Peach are already there to represent that series and Luigi is arguably the most popular character in the series (I see his merchandise sell out all the time, personally. I have a hard time finding it unlike Mario and Peach and even Yoshi stuff). There would be a lot of fan rage if Luigi lacked an Amiibo. Also, a lot of other fans would shit the fan if Ike didn't get a figure. He's got a nice size fanbase of his own.

This logic makes very little sense. The Mario franchise is way more popular than Fire Emblem and Luigi's has a considerably larger fanbase than Ike. Equating "If Ike doesn't get an Amiibo then Luigi won't get one" is ridiculous.

That's not what I'm saying. Red Fox seems to be saying that franchises only need one Amiibo to represent them. That's saying Mario should only have Mario, Zelda should only have Link, etc. Which makes no sense given that they aren't the only popular characters or the only reps in their series that are playable in Smash.

That's not what I'm saying. Red Fox seems to be saying that franchises only need one Amiibo to represent them. That's saying Mario should only have Mario, Zelda should only have Link, etc. Which makes no sense given that they aren't the only popular characters or the only reps in their series that are playable in Smash.

But that's not what RFoF is saying. She's saying that because Fire Emblem isn't a particularly popular series, just one Amiibo would be enough to represent it. She never said anything about "EVERY franchise should only have one Amiibo".

Edited by Jave

What Jave said. I never said anything about how many amiibos each series should get, just that Fire Emblem would more likely only get one. Mario in particular is a terrible series to compare this to because other games in that series are the most likely to make use of amiibos, so every character is probably going to get one from there regardless. Zelda is also a much bigger series than FE and is going to be on the Wii U, etc.

Once again, I was never comparing any series to anything. I simply meant to say that Amiibos shouldn't be limited to one Amiibo per franchise.

And Fire Emblem is going to be on Wii U and use Amiibos too, you know. SMT x FE? The image from E3 showing masked Lucina? I doubt Ike wouldn't be in SMT x FE considering he was shown in front of everyone else in that teaser trailer. IS clearly considers him to be an iconic character in the series and like I said, Ike has his own large fanbase. And not every FE fan likes Marth and will want a Marth figure. There's no reason not to give an Amiibo to every character in Smash regardless. Nintendo will make more money off of a bigger selection.

Edited by Anacybele

Once again, I was never comparing any series to anything.

Yes you were. Honestly, it's pointless to debate this if you're going to change your stance on every post.

I simply meant to say that Amiibos shouldn't be limited to one Amiibo per franchise.

And why is that? I think we'll be lucky if every Nintendo series gets at least one.

And Fire Emblem is going to be on Wii U and use Amiibos too, you know. SMT x FE?

SMTxFE was not among the games they stated will use Amiibos, and frankly, given the nature of the SMT series, I doubt it will.

Although a Mara Jack Frost Amiibo would be cool.

And not every FE fan likes Marth and will want a Marth figure.

And? Not every FE fan likes Ike or wants an Ike Amiibo. That argument doesn't work.

There's no reason not to give an Amiibo to every character in Smash regardless.

See, this I can agree with. Considering Amiibos seem to work by saving character data, it makes sense to have an Amiibo for each playable character. There's no need to reach with certain arguments or taking other people's posts out of context.

Nintendo will make more money off of a bigger selection.

Not necessarily true. If the first batch of Amiibos (which will likely include the most popular characters) fails to sell within Nintendo's expectations, it might end up with Nintendo losing money and future batches of Amiibos wouldn't be profitable and thus cancelled. I'm certainly hoping this doesn't happen, but it's a clear possibility.