How is your style of play in Fire Emblem?

Hello everyone,

in this topic I would like to know, how agressive do you play in FE.

Do you take the chance, if you can kill someone with a low hitrate?

If you hit, there's a "problem" less on the map! If you miss, you're screwed!

Or do you prefer to play more passive like a defense mission?

You let the enemies attack first, so you can finish them off in the next player phase.

I'm probably a mix of both. It also depends on the maps, units and Game Over conditions.

In FE10 and 13 in some situations I just have to take the chance, because there's no other way to beat the map without any losses. If I missed, I was unlucky.

In some FE parts you also could play agressively, because battlesave and/or causal mode exist. So you could try out in each turn.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aggressive and decisive movement, but not taking risky hitrates. I use the units I like, but earlygame largely keep the Jagen-type character as a reserve, the last unit I move to fix any problem I might have.

Edited by Parrhesia

I go as far as I can if I know I'll live. I'll usually kill bosses in defense chapters, unless they're ridiculous.

On a Lunatic Classic skirmish, I tend to play defensively using only Logbook characters as at the moment, they're the only characters I have that can stand a chance -- gotta love Dual Support+, Dual Guard+ and auto-2x weapons!

If it's Normal Casual and I'm entering something like a Skirmish or a Golden Gaffe run using units with maxed out stats with Limit Break... Auto Battle on Blitz.

I play with the Dream Team idea which means:

-Before I start the game I know EXACTLY what units I am going to use to the final chapter/most of the game

-Those units get the EXP, the rest GET 0, REALLY, 0!

-I only choose the units which personality I like, regardless the class or weapon they use, even if my team doesnt have any single axe or lance, Im fine with it

-I end the game

So, for example, in FE9:

Chapter 1: Ike only

Chapter 2 : Ike only

Chapter 3 : Ike and Shinon only

Chapter 4 : Ike, Shinon and Soren only

Etc, all the others unit which I dont use in the end, will get 0 experience and never be used in the game, so following the example only Ike-Soren-Shinon-Mist-Lethe-Volke-Elincia-Janaff-Muarim-Tormod-Ena/Nasir-Stefan-Ranulf-Reyson will get experience, the rest wont be used ever. (No axes, no spears nor light tomes used in the entire game)

My teams are usually crowded by lords, swordmasters, heros, wyverns, snipers, nomads, magic (All clases are fine), assasins and special clases like mamkutes and dancers. So basically sword, magic, bows.

I always play full agressive, I hate defensive strategies and I basically rumble in always all the time, since I can get overleveled units easy with my gameplay as I dont waste experience in other units Imnot planning to use. I pref Avoid over defenses in general and full offensive (Hate being x2, cant stand that)

If its my first game, since I dont know what characters/etc, I simply use them if I like their personalities at the moment, following the same strategy anyways, so unless I like a character from the very beggining, its very unlikely I will use him regardless his awesome stats or growths or whatever.

PD: I never use knights or cavaliers, the only ponies I like are Seth-Titania-Geoffrey-Percival-Finn-Frederick-Sirius.

Also worth to mention that I am somewhat RNG biased (Specially level ups), I think its because the game rewards me for using only the units I love and not the other scum ;D

Generally depends on the situation. Early on, I'll keep the Jeigan character nearby as a reserve in case things get hairy. In cases like 3-6 in RD, I play defense mode,

PD: I never use knights or cavaliers, the only ponies I like are Seth-Titania-Geoffrey-Percival-Finn-Frederick-Sirius.

yes, this does sound like 'never' using cavalry

My theory is similar - I'll heavily favour units early on, but since the units whose personality/appearance I like tend to be prepromoted that leaves me with fuck-all early game, and I've no qualms about using group members temporarily near the start (FE9 Oscar for example).

yes, this does sound like 'never' using cavalry

My theory is similar - I'll heavily favour units early on, but since the units whose personality/appearance I like tend to be prepromoted that leaves me with fuck-all early game, and I've no qualms about using group members temporarily near the start (FE9 Oscar for example).

So I dont use absolutely ANY of the freaking cavaliers/paladin/armor horse in the entire series but those 7, and you still think I can say "never" xD? What I meant with that point is that not only I dislike the class BY FAR, but that those 7 are the only ones who achieve the previous statement, which is the personality.

Those are the only ones I have ever used in a game, but that doesnt mean they are necesarily of my "dream team", since as you could see I dont use Titania in my dream team. You will simply NEVER see me using Sain, Kent, Lance, Alan, Kyle, Forde, Franz... Any of those, I will simply never use them xDDD

I play with the Dream Team idea

This used to be my tactics as well. However, I found the game to be more enjoyable to just go in blindly and see for yourself which characters are turning out well.

My playstyle is usually pretty defensive, I like to keep my characters closely together or send them in two groups. I give enemies a first attack most of the time. I always reset when any unit dies, so this is partially to avoid any losses. I do not usually send one or two characters far away from the group as this does not usually turn out well :p

I like keeping my units together for the most part. When there are several paths in a map I'll split up but still send at least 2-3 people together. Sometimes I'll send out a flier by themselves though, after they get strong enough, especially if there are mountains in the way or NPCs/villages/chests in danger.

I usually lure enemies to me so I can gang up on them on my turn. I don't like rushing in because I'm always afraid of unexpected reinforcements coming in and ruining my plans. XD

Edited by Owain Dark

In FE9&10 I play very blitzily because of the BEXP turn limits.

Otherwise, I'm very slow and defensive, moving units along in random, cluttered formations, making sure no low-movement units fall behind. It's more satisfying for me when I inch may way through a map. That way, I can soak it all in and build high turn-count supports, rather than trivialize a map with one high-movement, over-leveled unit (I don't care about ltc). It just doesn't feel like an epic war when one or two units does everything, so I mostly take it slow with a balanced, equally burdened team.

I like keeping my units together for the most part. When there are several paths in a map I'll split up but still send at least 2-3 people together. Sometimes I'll send out a flier by themselves though, after they get strong enough, especially if there are mountains in the way or NPCs/villages/chests in danger.

I usually lure enemies to me so I can gang up on them on my turn. I don't like rushing in because I'm always afraid of unexpected reinforcements coming in and ruining my plans. XD

Ditto!

This screws me so often in FE11-13.

And this is the mainreason, why I dislike when reinforcements appear before enemy phase.

Generally depends on the situation. Early on, I'll keep the Jeigan character nearby as a reserve in case things get hairy. In cases like 3-6 in RD, I play defense mode,

Yeah, 3-6 is probably the most memorable chapter for the "turtle tactic".

The complement is 1-F. If you are not fast enough you will be surrounded by the reinforcements, who appear in the beginning.

In FE9&10 I play very blitzily because of the BEXP turn limits.

Otherwise, I'm very slow and defensive, moving units along in random, cluttered formations, making sure no low-movement units fall behind. It's more satisfying for me when I inch may way through a map. That way, I can soak it all in and build high turn-count supports, rather than trivialize a map with one high-movement, over-leveled unit (I don't care about ltc). It just doesn't feel like an epic war when one or two units does everything, so I mostly take it slow with a balanced, equally burdened team.

This is probably the mainreason, why I tend to rush as well especially on HM. Every bexp. counts.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

If I'm playing without something in mind, I just kinda go and use whoever turns out well/I feel like. It usually ends up being chumps because I never use them when drafting/ltcing etc

I play pretty laid back, not caring about turn count unless it nets me a bonus chapter or exp. It usually takes me 20-30 turns to finish a map and I let it go into the hundreds if I want to abuse something (or if I'm being super careful on one of the higher difficulties). Funnily enough the chapters I tend to play most aggressively are actually defense maps since keeping the enemy numbers down let's you survive enemy phase much easier. Otherwise I useually like to draw the enemies out instead of charging. Of course if there's some kind of goal on the map like recruiting a character or saving a village then I will accomplish that goal before moving on with the chapter.

So I dont use absolutely ANY of the freaking cavaliers/paladin/armor horse in the entire series but those 7, and you still think I can say "never" xD? What I meant with that point is that not only I dislike the class BY FAR, but that those 7 are the only ones who achieve the previous statement, which is the personality.

I don't know whether 'can' in your sentence is a typo or not. Either way, I was being sarcastic. By 'never' it is generally assumed that you mean 'never'.

Super defensive. Moving in formation with tank units up front, ranged units behind and healers at the back, healing up to full between each stage. I like to play it safe, get all the stuff and as much experience as possible. Occasionally, I have to speed up because of objectives but I find it uncomfortable and scary, I'd rather have the comfort of a full HP bar - no-one's dying on my team

It's been a while since I've played a casual run, but I play for 0% chance of death. I'll stop and lure out crit-happy enemies, or rush if there's a village or other sub-objective, otherwise I try to make slow but steady progress. I used to plan out my team, but now I just use whoever's doing well.

i don't try to ltc really religiously or anything but i usually end up blitzing chapters really fast just because of realtime annoyance at turtling things out

I try to beat chapters before reinforcements show up and/or reach me. That and BEXP turn quotas. I like using warp to circumvent more annoying chapters, unless its unlimited warp range cause thats a bit cheap.

I've grown less fond of the really long sloggy rout approach to EVERY SINGLE MAP I used to have though, but a understanding your limits within the game is a big factor in how comfortable you feel about going fast. For games I'm more familiar with going faster happen as a matter of course, if I'm new then inevitably I will think I NEED ALL THE STATS I CAN GET.