Is the hate on Shadow Dragon justified?

Chiki

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giant post which I'm not quoting. :P:

Of the two moving ballista, the top one can be dealt with on turn 2 - rush two units north, and have the bait sit on the very edge of its range, and the ballista will come to you (and hopefully, you have enough firepower to kill it). If you can position that one unit on the bottom correctly, you'll have all the time in the world to finish those three ballista - they don't move, and they won't be able to hit your lone attacker (what I don't remember is where the Arrowspate are, which is why I'm not certain if Minerva can get there safely). There's a second spot where someone will be targeted by one ballista, if you absolutely need those three down there gone in a hurry.

The thieves can be quite painful, but I don't remember what happens if someone sits on the village entrance (if it's anything like Chapter 22, they'll probably attack the village guard). It's one way to keep the village safe while clearing out the unpleasant stuff.

The middle is a clusterfuck, and while there's plenty of randomness, it isn't enough to make me want to throw my DS into the wall. I save that for Chapter 20's ballista, which are all over the damn map.

Yeah I know about the tile on for the top, I used that in my H5 playlog. The arrowspates are IIRC, the two at the top, the one at the back at the bottom, and the top one behind the boss, but Minerva doesn't double the Ballista and is still in range a few of them from the center of the map, so you're still gambling unless you kill the center ones first (which is even more of a clusterfuck). There might also be an arrowspate in the middle but I think it's just hoistflammes and stonehoist.

Anyway I'm pretty sure the thieves aggro whoever's on the village if they can't get there, and unfortunately whoever blocks it is still in range of 2 ballista from the center of the map. Taking damage would get them prioritised too. Upon some consideration, you can probably bait the center ballistae to attack units at the top if they had lower def than say Paladin!Caeda on the village so that makes that easier, but they're still in range of 3 ballista from the middle. Considering the one above the savepoint moves, I still think the chapter is too random on H5 since there's not very many ways to reliably avoid exposing one or two units to 2 to 3 enemies that can either oneshot or 2hko you.

Also, chapter 20 ballista aren't that bad imo. They don't overlap nearly much and you can use thunderbolt from the start of the map. That and you can use the first savepoint at the bottom to rig a crit on the ballista in the center on turn 2 after you RIDERSBANE CHAIN the Brave Lance pallies who probably just rushed you, so you're in no danger.

Edited by Irysa

Also forging Thunderbolt so it OHKOes (which you might not even need to do if you've been training Jake and/or Beck) is a thing that you can do.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that the hate for 8-bit era RPGs in general is unjustified.

People are so used to modern and cinematic gaming that when they find out that 8-bit RPGs are pure gameplay and that you have to put in effort to gain levels and get new equipment and actually get anywhere they get critisized that they're 'archaic' and 'outdated'.

I'm going to respond to your limb here and say that the "gameplay" of 8bit RPGs deserves quotation marks around it and that the "effort" is either brainless or so obtuse as to be pointless/frustrating.

I'm going to respond to your limb here and say that the "gameplay" of 8bit RPGs deserves quotation marks around it and that the "effort" is either brainless or so obtuse as to be pointless/frustrating.

Integ for Mod of the Year pls.

Damn conveniences these days making life easier. Back in my day basic tasks were a pain in the posterior and we liked it!

I didn't see this brought up, but I found the character art quite odd in places. Marth's face looks like it's been hit with a sledgehammer for example. As far as poor map design goes, I found the bosses in chapters 1-3 much more annoying than the ballista chapter. When I tried H5, Hyman (C3) doubled and killed every one of my units!

Shadow Dragon had some pretty bland character art for sure, but unlike in the original, at the very least they had some idea what they were doing with their art direction.

e.g. I still refuse to believe that this is supposed to be Tomth/Dolph

DolphFE1.png

Shadow Dragon had some pretty bland character art for sure, but unlike in the original, at the very least they had some idea what they were doing with their art direction.

DolphFE1.png

Marth with no pants = master race.

I didn't see this brought up, but I found the character art quite odd in places. Marth's face looks like it's been hit with a sledgehammer for example. As far as poor map design goes, I found the bosses in chapters 1-3 much more annoying than the ballista chapter. When I tried H5, Hyman (C3) doubled and killed every one of my units!

There's an RNG-proof unit that can go against Hyman in Ogma. Just hand him the Killing Edge from Navarre. Barst can also land the final blow with a Devil Axe+savepoint combo. Hyman is a lot less worse than Chapter 1's boss for me tbh. Chapter 1's boss can always get a Jagen crit, Jagen's Silver Lance is very likely to miss and the chippers also have terrible hitrates on him. And there's no savepoint so you just have to deal with it.

Edited by PKL

DolphFE1.png

It was different yes, but that's what I felt was needed. I really liked that they tried for a more realistic style, regardless if it wasn't perfect. Not that I hate it at all, but better than everything needing to be homogenized to the same typical glossy anime style.

It was different yes, but that's what I felt was needed. I really liked that they tried for a more realistic style, regardless if it wasn't perfect. Not that I hate it at all, but better than everything needing to be homogenized to the same typical glossy anime style.

True. And my personal problems are not necessarily with SD's art style per say; FE12 improved upon them a bit while technically still using the same style. In SD many characters just seem kind of "off", IMO at least.