How old do you expect to live to be, and why?

キノコ

47 members have voted

1. 1. How old do you expect to live to be?

• 0-10
    • 10-20
    • 20-40
    • 40-60
    • 60-80
    • 80-100
    • 100-120
    • 120-150
    • 150-200
    • 200-300
    • 300-500
    • 500-1000
    • 1000+
    • You expect you will choose to end your life at a certain point.

There's a general consensus that life expectancy has generally improved for the population as a whole over the past few hundred years. I've seen some debate to the contrary, but this is a largely respected idea. In addition to this, there's been a large leap forward in funding and advancement of medical sciences, cancer treatments, disease prevention, and other things, with the setbacks thus far seeming small in comparison. There's potential for a great number of positives and negatives to happen in the future here. Stem cell research, 3D printing, Nanotechnology, telomere research, and others are in a push for extending life, if used positively. Most of these are double edged swords though. The cost of genetic engineering is dropping rapidly, and that also opens the door for the more nefarious amongst us to create horrible diseases. Nanotechnology is used wrongly could break down your body and end your life in seconds. There's also the even more obscure potentials for things like brain uploading, and the philosophical conundrum on if your brain is replaced, is that really you any longer on the opposite side? Do you believe any of this has the potential to come to fruition, parts of it, none of it, all of it? Tell me what you think.

I don't really care about life extending tech like nanomachines or cybernetic life, I don't particularly want to live a long life. It's good if those things are invented for the sake of others, though.

• 4 weeks later...

60s max. I'm a pretty heavy smoker and professional stoner on top of being a cook. If I make it to 70, I'll be impressed.

Assuming that a rocket doesn't get me.

i'm going to die early i estimate. probably mid sixties. I don't really excersise and eat alot of junk food

Edited by GO WITH YOUR GUTREAD GUY

mildly concerning that there are 4 votes for the last option

im already dead

dammit that's what i was going to say

im already dead

Did Kenshiro get to you? Damn.

Also I'd guess around 40-60. All my pent up stress will probably murder me in the long run, but who knows

• 2 weeks later...