Robert of Normandy's SNES Hacking Things

Robert Stewart

Do you think you could make an FE3 weapon editor Nightmare module that actually lets you edit any weapon without a range of 1 without its range getting changed to 1? I think that's the biggest flaw in the camus's FE3 modules.

Edited by Matthewtheman

• 2 months later...

- I know very little about SNES hacking (just a little bit of FE4 is all I got and I wouldn't be anywhere without notes and programs set up by others)

- I do wanna learn

- what keeps me from learning is N/A, which would be laziness

- totes go for tutorial

Edited by Lamia

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/58lrcb689l5pev8/ThraciaText.zip?dl=1

Simple utility to insert text into Thracia. Instructions and examples and such are included.

Edited by Robert of Normandy

• 4 weeks later...

Where is the name offset for the cast? I wish to try my hand at making something special... Is it possible for me to find the the naming offset with a tool? Which tool? All I really need is the PC's and Bosses, but the names of everything would be awesome.

General SNES Hacking? Does this include non-FE games?

Is this referring to the tutorial? I suppose. It would mostly be an assembly tutorial, as well as a guide on using some of the various hacking/debugging tools and such

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
4 hours ago, Peerless1337 said:

I know this is necroposting, but links to your notes on fe3, fe3 nightmare modules and the 2RN patches are broken.

Ah thank you, I guess I removed this stuff from my dropbox without thinking. All the links should work now.

Bumping to notify that I've made a small update to the FE3 2 RN patch - I moved the patch to a different location in the ROM, so that it should be compatible with the JP versions and not just English translations.

• 2 weeks later...

Been messing around with the game (FE3) again and found something mildly interesting when I was looking for the stat cap (which I have yet to find). At offset D004 (1.0 no header) effects the max stat *display*. When a stat is capped, it will show that, regardless of if the actual value is that or not. (So say I change it to 30, Marth gets a level up and his stat goes from 19>20, it will be displayed as 30, though all formulas and such take it as 20.) This doesn't effect enemies leading me to believe it has to do with mounting/dismounting so that the game doesn't display a number higher than 20 if a knight with 20 speed gets on a mount that increases speed or something like that. Figured I might as well post it while I was here.

Also since I didn't see it in any notes nor modules, unit type/weaknesses seems to be located at 0426AB, though before each list there is one byte, not sure what it's used for.

426AB - Weak to Rapier (Cavalier, Paladin, Armor Knight, General)

426B0 - Weak to Lady Sword (Thief, Brigand, Pirate, Barbarian)

426B6 - Weak to Armor Slayer (Armor Knight, General)

426BA - Weak to Dragon Slayer (Ice, Fire, Sea, Flying, and Mage Dragons + Dragon Knight)

426C3 - Weak to Sword Slayer (Mercenary, Hero, Berserker)

426C8 - Weak to Knight Killer (Cavalier, Paladin)

426CC - Weak to Bows/Wind (Pegasus + Dragon Knights, Flying Dragon)

426D1 - Weak to Fire (Ice Dragon)

426D4 - Weak to Ice (Fire Dragon)

426D7 - Weak to something (Flying Dragon + Dragon Knight, both of these are covered under bows and dragon slayers, so idk what the point of this one is.)

426DB - Weak to Falchion/Mist Breath (Fire, Ice, Sea, Flying, Earth, Dark, Divine, and Mage Dragons + Dragon Knight)

I couple interesting things to note.

1: The berserker is weak to the sword slayer even though you don't get the only one in the game until *after* the chapter with him. This also holds true with brigands and the lady sword as I am ~80% sure by the time you get a lady sword you no longer encounter them (only pirates on chapter 4, and barbarians later on, and thieves of course).

2: Tiki doesn't follow the rules as she is weak to dragon slayers in book 1 (and they don't appear in enemy hands in book 2). Considering she doesn't use mist breath (what is tied to divine dragons) in book one either, I am inclined to think there is some special coding that makes her a fire dragon with ice breath, and a divine dragon map sprite, when she transforms. By the time you get her there are no enemies with the freeze spell so you can't see if she is weak to it (short of modding obviously).

3: This is not related to FE3, instead FE4, but where the hell else am I going to put something this minor? The dragon classification exists in FE4 even though there are no weapons that are effective against it.

Do you think you could make an FE3 weapon editor Nightmare module that actually lets you edit any weapon without a range of 1 without its range getting changed to 1? I think that's the biggest flaw in the camus's FE3 modules.

I remember editing the hand axe and javelin to be less shitty and it working fine, or did you (if you even see this since it's a 3-4 year old post) try making something from 1 range to 1-2?

Edited by Camus The Dark Knight

• 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Sephie-chan said:

Link is dead, would you mind repost it?

I forgot I ever posted that! I was worried it might be worthless now with PE, but since the values aren't hard-coded, I guess it's not.

Link is fixed.

On 8/15/2019 at 1:30 PM, Robert of Normandy said:

I forgot I ever posted that! I was worried it might be worthless now with PE, but since the values aren't hard-coded, I guess it's not.

Link is fixed.

actually I'd love to use the tool once I finished my german FE4 translation and start with FE5. It'll be a great help

I updated the OP to organize it better and add links to more projects.

Apparently I forgot to  release that map converter, which is probably a good thing because it was a cludgy mess. It's now slightly less cludgy, and unlike the Text Converter, it probably actually works with PE.

Bumping this with actual new content! I added an Asar patch to enable siege weapons for PC units in FE3.

There was another patch that did  something similar floating around, but I my version is better - the other one has some math errors I think, and it doesn't prevent you from using the weapon out of range, it just sets hit to zero.

Updated the OP with a link to Sable's releases page. Apparently I forgot to post it here when I made the first public release, oops.