More of an emulator question?

Not sure if this is the right board, sorry. I've been trying to play FE12 using DeSmuME, and it keeps lagging. I've looked up multiple videos and tutorials on how to make it go faster, but it still lags really bad. Anybody have any suggestions? Is no$gba better for this game??

DeSmuMe requires more-than-average specs to run at full (or almost full) speed, because it focuses on emulating DS games accurately, which uses a lot of CPU resoruces (not to mention that the Nintendo DS, compared to the NES/SNES/GB/GBC/GBA, is already more difficult to emulate).

Do you mind showing me your computer specs?

What do you mean specifically by computer specs, and where do I find them?

If you are using Windows, right-click on "Computer" (or My Computer on older OSes) and select "Properties."

(I don't know enough about the ins/outs of Macintosh and Linux)

Go to where it says "system" and tell me what processor it is using and how much RAM you have.

I'm using Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.00GHz

8.00 GB RAM (7.90 GB usable)

64-bit Operating System

2GHz is a bit on the slow side. Your RAM is okay though.

Try going to "Config" -> "Emulation Settings," then on the General section, uncheck "Enable Advanced Bus-Level Timing."

The latest version of DeSmuME (0.9.10) is about 50% faster than the version before it due to recompilation. Most emulators also run faster with Windows power preset (Control Panel -> Power Options) set to "High Performance".

2GHz is a bit on the slow side. Your RAM is okay though.

Try going to "Config" -> "Emulation Settings," then on the General section, uncheck "Enable Advanced Bus-Level Timing."

I've done that already; still laggy.

The latest version of DeSmuME (0.9.10) is about 50% faster than the version before it due to recompilation. Most emulators also run faster with Windows power preset (Control Panel -> Power Options) set to "High Performance".

Just put it into High Performance; I'll check out v0.9.10 if it still lags.

EDIT: It seems to be working fairly well.

Edited by Ewan101

NO$GBA's audio is quite bad, also the latest version isn't a freeware. (Some games doesn't work, like the first Rune Factory)

DeSmuME is more accurate, completly free, multi-platform and Open Source. (The only downside is that it takes more computing powers)

Edited by Naughx

Something I did to boost FE12 on DeSmuME is to change the Audio settings as it tends to boost performance, at least in my case. Go to Config > Sound Settings. Set Interpolation to None (fastest, sounds bad). It actually doesn't sound bad when you play the game, at least for me. By the way, try setting Frame Skip to 1 maybe, that might also help.

• 5 months later...