Does killing the enemy Peg. Knights bother anyone?

blogger

They're all supposed to be female, right? Judging from the ones on the player's side, cute little girls too. I mean, you're basically mowing down hordes of Thanys and Florinas.

Thany.pngFlorina.png

OK. I suppose Vanessa isn't as adorable.

Vanessa.gif

Most of the games feature some kind of female boss unit, but the plot usually goes out of its way to make them "evil." This is comically so with Sonia (FE7) and Petrine (FE9).

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how the death of a female soldier is any worse than the death of a male soldier, both are equally bad. Also, it's just a game.

so no

Edited by Nobody

War is hell.

Why feel particularly bad about kiling Pegasus Knights over all of the probably young men in the rest of the enemy armies? The games doesn't give you much of a reason to feel guilty about killing any enemy generics, but occaisonally they like to put into context later in the game that you are an invading (albiet, retaliating) enemy force and make you feel bad about it. Path of Radiance and Shadow Dragon probably do this the best.

Yggdra Union is my personal favourite example though, after you beat one of the toughest bosses in the game who's a badass old knight general guarding the only way into the enemy country, you end up fighting weakling village militias, having beaten their main force. The the protagonists clearly start feeling pretty guilty about it too.

Edited by Irysa

Also, most of my resets are caused by flyers reinforcements killing my healers/dances, so I feel even less "guilty" about killing them (not that I feel guilty about killing any generic unit in a video game lol)

I...never really stopped to think about who my units take out.

There are MALE Pegasus knights in fe3. But yeah it doesn't really bug me.

Well, in LTC you've got to make some sacrifices. Had no idea about male Peg. Knights in FE3 though.

I hate Pegasus Knights, therefore killing them doesn't bother me in the slightest. :evil:

Also, most of my resets are caused by flyers reinforcements killing my healers/dances, so I feel even less "guilty" about killing them (not that I feel guilty about killing any generic unit in a video game lol)

My dancer is usually on the front line (how else is she going to dance?), so I haven't had this problem. Besides, the enemy Peg. Knights are usually laughably weak, especially compared to those annoying wyverns.

Nope. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Never actually had that thought though.

I don't see how the death of a female soldier is any worse than the death of a male soldier, both are equally bad. Also, it's just a game.

so no

Isnt the series about war? It doesnt matter who you face, as long as you dont feel guilty

War is hell.

Why feel particularly bad about kiling Pegasus Knights over all of the probably young men in the rest of the enemy armies? The games doesn't give you much of a reason to feel guilty about killing any enemy generics, but occaisonally they like to put into context later in the game that you are an invading (albiet, retaliating) enemy force and make you feel bad about it. Path of Radiance and Shadow Dragon probably do this the best.

Yggdra Union is my personal favourite example though, after you beat one of the toughest bosses in the game who's a badass old knight general guarding the only way into the enemy country, you end up fighting weakling village militias, having beaten their main force. The the protagonists clearly start feeling pretty guilty about it too.

Well shit, you've got me. Okay, next time when I see a pegasus knight I'll just shift to RELENTLESS PACIFISM MODE.

Why is killing women worse than killing men in a war? Reverse sexism or something?

Clearly this isn't the first time this subject's been brought up, judging from these touchy responses. My only response to this is that the generic male enemies look too silly to worry about killing (bandits and fighters especially).

Edited by blogger

Now think about it even deeper, you're killing mercenaries from Ilia (including Florina and Thany), therefore you're causing kawaii little girls (which include Florina and Thany) who have been in the same training camps. Have been at arms and combat together (Did I say they inclu- *shot*), are now killing each other. Florina and Thany vs a million more Florinas and Thanys. A genocide of kawaii little girls :[. Florina and Thany killing generic enemies they've been with before in training and at arms.

Edited by Zephyr

Clearly this isn't the first time this subject's been brought up, judging from these touchy responses. My only response to this is that the generic male enemies look too silly to worry about killing (bandits and fighters especially).

There's no need to be condescending.

I have no issues killing them, as they are bits of data after some other bits of data that is in my best interest to keep alive.

Well, in LTC you've got to make some sacrifices. Had no idea about male Peg. Knights in FE3 though.

My dancer is usually on the front line (how else is she going to dance?), so I haven't had this problem. Besides, the enemy Peg. Knights are usually laughably weak, especially compared to those annoying wyverns.

Just gonna point out that early game horsebirds are more dangerous than any flying lizard. Except Vaida with the uber spear, but that's for different reasons.

Also it's not really touchy responses. If people feel like your being callous or saying something that they don't agree with they can voice the opinion. And that's not a proper way to respond to there opinions and statements

What about Pheros in Awakening? I didn't see her as evil at all, she more or less just fought for Walhart because she saw him as the best chance for unification and peace.

Also, war is war, regardless of gender. You could say the same about the male soldiers, fighting for their country, providing for their own families before it's robbed of a father.

Now think about it even deeper, you're killing mercenaries from Ilia (including Florina and Thany), therefore you're causing kawaii little girls (which include Florina and Thany) who have been in the same training camps. Have been at arms and combat together (Did I say they inclu- *shot*), are now killing each other. Florina and Thany vs a million more Florinas and Thanys. A genocide of kawaii little girls :[. Florina and Thany killing generic enemies they've been with before in training and at arms.

Do all the horsebirds come from Illia (however you spell it)? I prefer to consider my horsebirds (and fliers in general) as cold, merciless killing machines. Kinda like flying terminators or something.

Just gonna point out that early game horsebirds are more dangerous than any flying lizard. Except Vaida with the uber spear, but that's for different reasons.

Also it's not really touchy responses. If people feel like your being callous or saying something that they don't agree with they can voice the opinion. And that's not a proper way to respond to there opinions and statements

The difference is that wyverns take longer to kill (not ORKOd by everyone), which can mean more turns spent. Anyway, I call them "touchy" responses because it seems everyone's reacting like I'm preaching or something. It's not like I'm losing any sleep over this topic either.

Edited by blogger

A lot of other kinds of enemies have enough obscuring armor/clothing in the right places that they could be female for all we know, to be (un)sure

And I don't know about anybody else, but I have occasionally thought about the setting circumstances of the male enemies we kill, actually

Not, like, because they're male, I guess, but when one of the selling points of a strategy game is that (usually) every unit under your control is a mortal person with their own identity and personality, I think having mostly faceless antagonists does indeed beg a few questions, yes

Keep in mind, even when you're spearing faceless soldiers of Bern or Daein chances are high you're killing someone's son, or brother.

Even sometimes bandits have families, and tough backgrounds as shown in Thracia 776.

If you bring up the "enemies have feelings" line of thinking, you end up down a rathole. Even the early game bandits probably have families and/or circumstances. In FE8, there's even a defector (Colm) to make that pretty obvious.

The reason I don't consider the enemies' feelings is that they never surrender. No reason is ever given for this either. It's not like they're from a warrior society or followers of Bushido or anything like that.

If you bring up the "enemies have feelings" line of thinking, you end up down a rathole. Even the early game bandits probably have families and/or circumstances. In FE8, there's even a defector (Colm) to make that pretty obvious.

The reason I don't consider the enemies' feelings is that they never surrender. No reason is ever given for this either. It's not like they're from a warrior society or followers of Bushido or anything like that.

Gomes in Thracia 776 is an explicitly sympathetic bandit boss despite having the appearance of your typical thug.

In many missions where you objective isn't rout, the enemies do kinda of surrender when you complete the mission.

As said earlier, being a pegasus knight doesn't prevent one from being a terrible person so I don't see any reason to feel more bad for them over all other enemy units.