Does killing the enemy Peg. Knights bother anyone?

blogger

Gomes in Thracia 776 is an explicitly sympathetic bandit boss despite having the appearance of your typical thug.

In many missions where you objective isn't rout, the enemies do kinda of surrender when you complete the mission.

As said earlier, being a pegasus knight doesn't prevent one from being a terrible person so I don't see any reason to feel more bad for them over all other enemy units.

It's more of a gameplay issue than a moral one, but rout chapters always seemed like they'd be more fun if the enemy surrendered after some kind of condition, like if they were badly outnumbered or divided or something. Likewise, seize maps never made any sense to me. Does everyone just decide to give up once Hector puts his lvl 1 butt down on a chair?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more of a gameplay issue than a moral one, but rout chapters always seemed like they'd be more fun if the enemy surrendered after some kind of condition, like if they were badly outnumbered or divided or something. Likewise, seize maps never made any sense to me. Does everyone just decide to give up once Hector puts his lvl 1 butt down on a chair?

In a few games like PoR, SD, and such, its acknowledged in certain maps that the enemy do surrender or flee after you seize/defeat the boss. In Path of Radiance, you even get EXP in one map for the amount of units left alive.

In the fourth game, enemy units explicitly disappear when their castle is captured regardless of how strong their invading force is! This applies equally to the player's army if their castle is captured!

Likewise, seize maps never made any sense to me. Does everyone just decide to give up once Hector puts his lvl 1 butt down on a chair?

I tried to think of a reason for this. Didn't come up with anything good.

I tried to think of a reason for this. Didn't come up with anything good.

It sometimes makes sense, but usually for reasons other than the chair being taken, and usually only if the enemy is the one seizing. For example, in FE9, you need to prevent enemies from taking over your base (C5) or killing Sanaki (C13). For the player, it makes more sense for the victory condition to be based on sufficient enemies defeated (seizing throne) or enough units arriving at a tile (seizing gate).

Edited by blogger

It sometimes makes sense, but usually for reasons other than the chair being taken, and usually only if the enemy is the one seizing. For example, in FE9, you need to prevent enemies from taking over your base (C5) or killing Sanaki (C13). For the player, it makes more sense for the victory condition to be based on sufficient enemies defeated (seizing throne) or enough units arriving at a tile (seizing gate).

It does make sense if the throne belongs to their King, and most of their the forces are decimated.

But yeah, if you just warped your lord there, killed their expendable general, and took the throne while the rest of the army is on the move, it doesn't really make sense.

There's a difference between having enough sympathy for an enemy that you don't kill them, in a game where you usually can't interact with enemies in many ways besides that (and aren't exactly encouraged in gameplay terms to spare them, usually), and just wondering about their circumstances, or their personality, or what-all killing them means in-universe. Especially when it's emphasized so much for most of your own units that dead means gone. You don't have to refuse to interact with interactive media to wonder about your interactions with them.

The existence of this topic bothers me.

You seem to be implying that killing pegasus knights is worse than killing any other units just because they're "cute girls" and that is worse than killing men or "less attractive" women. FE is all about warfare. Those "cute pegasus knights" are fighting against you and trying to kill you. The characters in-universe can't stop to feel bad about killing an enemy who so clearly wants to kill them. Not to mention that, in a general concept, EVERY life taken in war should bother people, not just the cute girls. This line of thinking is akin to putting more value on women lives than men's lives just because the former are women, which really shouldn't be a thing. Especially when considering people who choose to fight in a war.

If anything, killing defenseless healers in FE bothers me.

You seem to be implying that killing pegasus knights is worse than killing any other units just because they're "cute girls" and that is worse than killing men or "less attractive" women. FE is all about warfare. Those "cute pegasus knights" are fighting against you and trying to kill you. The characters in-universe can't stop to feel bad about killing an enemy who so clearly wants to kill them. Not to mention that, in a general concept, EVERY life taken in war should bother people, not just the cute girls. This line of thinking is akin to putting more value on women lives than men's lives just because the former are women, which really shouldn't be a thing. Especially when considering people who choose to fight in a war.

You just totally said my piece on this. Cuz i feel exactly the same way.

The only thing that really bothers me in FE, is when i cant save all the villages or when defenseless green units (like those chumps in that swamp chapter in FE10) get killed. That just...irks me real bad. Sometimes, ill even reset the chapter(s) to try to make it so that doesnt happen. Im kinda terrible because i use the defenseless healers as EXP gains for my weaker guys. D:

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

There's a difference between having enough sympathy for an enemy that you don't kill them, in a game where you usually can't interact with enemies in many ways besides that (and aren't exactly encouraged in gameplay terms to spare them, usually), and just wondering about their circumstances, or their personality, or what-all killing them means in-universe. Especially when it's emphasized so much for most of your own units that dead means gone. You don't have to refuse to interact with interactive media to wonder about your interactions with them.

This is more or less what I was getting at. Besides, games don't have plots or characters [citation: Roger Ebert].

This is an example of someone taking the thread too seriously. Also, healers are way worse since they're not cute and they use those sinister Berserk staves. For what it's worth, if your own units are any guide, the Peg. Knights are like 10. Blame IS for not adding male child soldiers.

You just totally said my piece on this. Cuz i feel exactly the same way.

The only thing that really bothers me in FE, is when i cant save all the villages or when defenseless green units (like those chumps in that swamp chapter in FE10) get killed. That just...irks me real bad. Sometimes, ill even reset the chapter(s) to try to make it so that doesnt happen. Im kinda terrible because i use the defenseless healers as EXP gains for my weaker guys. D:

The only unit that can kill those swamp dudes is the Dracoknight who shouldn't even spawn if you do the chapter right. Now that elderly Marado lady in C1-6-2 on the other hand...

Quite the opposite actually: I'm annoyed how rarely they show up as competent enemies.

The main thing stopping them from being serious enemies is the low defense. Since the enemy should basically never hit your units in most of the FE games, the only thing that affects their difficulty is how many rounds you need to kill them.

Edited by blogger

You kill your opposition equally regardless of who they are anyway. They generally choose to fight or not but being faceless people makes it easier to kill them. Unless were they were a compelling character or had a presence that gave the player enough time to give a damn about them other than them being a badass, asshole, bad dude, hot woman, hot man, last boss, pre-final last boss, random dude who happens to be a badass out of no where, the creep who somehow gets a goddamn fan following because people are fucked in the head, and so on.

Then again Awakening has the Arisen who are basically zombies so it's "okay" to be killing them. If anything you are freeing their tortured souls like that uber Soldier in that thing who appears to be in pain and or showing remorse. But yeah being dead is bad regardless. Dunno if you noticed that within the games. It's kind of a thing with the series.

This is an example of someone taking the thread too seriously. Also, healers are way worse since they're not cute and they use those sinister Berserk staves. For what it's worth, if your own units are any guide, the Peg. Knights are like 10. Blame IS for not adding male child soldiers.

Apparently, you did not get the hint the first time.

Comments like these are not welcome. People can take this thread as seriously as they want. Trolling is against the rules. Please read the Code of Conduct.

What do you think of FE6 HM Ilia then? Pegasus Knights/Falcoknights galore.

I haven't actually gone through FE6 yet! I do see that an updated translation patch is out, so it's next on my list. It doesn't really matter in-game because like Ebert said, games don't have characters or plots.

You kill your opposition equally regardless of who they are anyway. They generally choose to fight or not but being faceless people makes it easier to kill them. Unless were they were a compelling character or had a presence that gave the player enough time to give a damn about them other than them being a badass, asshole, bad dude, hot woman, hot man, last boss, pre-final last boss, random dude who happens to be a badass out of no where, the creep who somehow gets a goddamn fan following because people are fucked in the head, and so on.

Then again Awakening has the Arisen who are basically zombies so it's "okay" to be killing them. If anything you are freeing their tortured souls like that uber Soldier in that thing who appears to be in pain and or showing remorse. But yeah being dead is bad regardless. Dunno if you noticed that within the games. It's kind of a thing with the series.

The funny thing that Rehab kind of mentioned is that the female units (Troubadour, Peg. Knight) are generally less faceless than the male units (Paladin, Knight, Soldier). Death is trivial in terms of game mechanics, since you just load your last save state and keep going. If anything, IS could have made the whole "war is bad" thing more serious by giving generic enemies death quotes and the bosses battle conversations other than "behold my peerless skillz." That said, there's no indication that IS actually wants you to think that war is bad. In fact, for the most part, your forces' slaughter of entire armies is generally shown in a positive, role-model-setting light. Only occasionally certain charismatic enemies (e.g. FE1/FE11 Camus) are highlighted.

Apparently, you did not get the hint the first time.

Comments like these are not welcome. People can take this thread as seriously as they want. Trolling is against the rules. Please read the Code of Conduct.

I never said otherwise. I mention this because, as I pointed out earlier, some posters seem to think I'm preaching to them or such.

Taking the thread too seriously or not, this is an attitude that extends to real life and is quite in effect IN real life and I feel it should be addressed. Way to brush off legitimate thoughts with "taking too seriously lol". Also, you sound stupidly shallow if the cuteness of a character is the only factor in making you feel bad for killing them, and your responses do speak a lot about you as a person. Also, I highly fucking doubt pegasus knights are all 10.

As a number of folks pointed out, the game gives you little reason to care about any of the enemies. So the Peg. Knights being little girls and their not-so-faceless sprite makes you think about it for just a moment. Not much longer, since again, you have to kill most enemies in your way or else you'll lose turns.

Edited by blogger

Taking the thread too seriously or not, this is an attitude that extends to real life and is quite in effect IN real life and I feel it should be addressed. Way to brush off legitimate thoughts with "taking too seriously lol". Also, you sound stupidly shallow if the cuteness of a character is the only factor in making you feel bad for killing them, and your responses do speak a lot about you as a person. Also, I highly fucking doubt pegasus knights are all 10.

I never said otherwise. I mention this because, as I pointed out earlier, some posters seem to think I'm preaching to them or such.

Stop pointing it out.

No, it doesn't bother me. They are highly trained soldiers as seeing as they are flying cavalry in the Medieval Ages. So they are proper combatants and are proper targets for my archers. Also remember that the Medieval age's soldier is younger than today's soldiers so the age doesn't bother me using the same standard.

Florina is about 15 years old. Shes trained.

[spoiler=And her lance thirsts for the blood of her enemies!]

14e1i84.jpg

I imagine enemy pegs are the same.

tumblr_lpzw7yWLN91qhaj3d.gif

wow mang. You have issues.

the most disturbing facts about this topic are:

- not including karin as a kawaii girl.

- implying that nessie isn't cute.

In any case, Pegasus Knights in the games you listed are mercenaries. They deliberately know the implications of deciding whom to join, or what to do. they are aware of the consequences of their choices. Therefore, risking their life, and losing it, is just a repercussion of their decision, not the player's. I don't see how the player should in any way or form be disturbed by killing them.

What about Pheros in Awakening? I didn't see her as evil at all, she more or less just fought for Walhart because she saw him as the best chance for unification and peace.

Also, war is war, regardless of gender. You could say the same about the male soldiers, fighting for their country, providing for their own families before it's robbed of a father.

Pheros is a Valkyrie.

the most disturbing facts about this topic are:

- not including karin as a kawaii girl.

I'm working my way backwards. After I get to FE6, I'll tackle the SNES games. Not sure I'll bother with FE1/2/3 though, since I think those have remakes.

- implying that nessie isn't cute.

Dunno, I like Syrene better. I think it's in the hair. Vanessa is definitely a very useful unit though (like Seth beta version).

In any case, Pegasus Knights in the games you listed are mercenaries. They deliberately know the implications of deciding whom to join, or what to do. they are aware of the consequences of their choices. Therefore, risking their life, and losing it, is just a repercussion of their decision, not the player's. I don't see how the player should in any way or form be disturbed by killing them.

For the most part, I agree with you. When it comes down to it, you need to kill units that are in the way. I don't think all the Ilians (sp?) are mercenaries though, given that you need to invade their country at some point in FE6. I'd have to review the game literature to be sure of this though. It's funny that you bring up mercenaries, because the Mercenary is the only male sprite that isn't either faceless or comical (pirates and bandits, even fighters to a degree). Although, the mercenary sprite is curiously designed with the aggressive/confident/taunting pose that makes him look like a bad guy.

Edited by blogger