Am I the only one that gets their games taken away?

Junkhead

haha my parents don't know my games exist

everything's out of my pocket and either on my computer or on a system easily concealable in backpack

There's no video games in my house period so

theoretically

they did used to take away my computer though when I was actually a kid but they don't do that now

and they can't do that anyway because as a programmer taking away my computer is taking away my ability to do my homework

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was like really young yeah, though I never saw it as a strict punishment. My parents stopped eventually obviously; coincidentally this was when I played video games much less frequently (I still don't play them that much anymore), though they didn't really know that.

I'd lol at your parents still taking away your games at 18, but I realize that some of my friends probably still get their cell phones or laptops or something like that confiscated when they're in deep shit so ;/

sorry, but are you being serious?

of course i am! when someone challenges your authority, throw a haymaker their way and see if they feel the same. esau knows what i'm talkin' 'bout.

also, have more faith in me, m8.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

My mom threw out my SNES and N64 and took away my GCN for a pretty long time when I was a kid. SOoo I have a stock of games with no means of playing them. So yeah, I got a whole bunch of games taken away from me permanently. I also had my computer passworded (though I found a way around that for a long time). She also threw out a huge chunk of my issues of Nintendo Power and has frequently tried to trash my library of books. She also digs through my drawers and throws out what she sees fit and reorganizes things without my permission. I have no lock on my bedroom door so I can literally do nothing about it. She STILL does this to me in my 20's and it's resulted in screaming matches and crying because I hate that kind of interference into my personal affairs. She has taken absolutely no steps to understand my hobbies or work flow.

So be thankful that your parents simply restrict you. You could have parents who hate all your hobbies and tries to throw out everything you love.

Used to, but hasn't happened to me since 2006. What used to happen was that I could only play for 1 hour a day (on consoles). But since a couple of years ago, I can play for however long I want.

Well, I used to be able to play games on the weekend only too, but these days, my parents don't really mind, so long as I get the results, really. Oh, and I cant use the TV (for my 360) when my parents are sleeping either, but I s'pose that's reasonable enough. I can still use my 3DS tho

My mom threw out my SNES and N64 and took away my GCN for a pretty long time when I was a kid. SOoo I have a stock of games with no means of playing them. So yeah, I got a whole bunch of games taken away from me permanently. I also had my computer passworded (though I found a way around that for a long time). She also threw out a huge chunk of my issues of Nintendo Power and has frequently tried to trash my library of books. She also digs through my drawers and throws out what she sees fit and reorganizes things without my permission. I have no lock on my bedroom door so I can literally do nothing about it. She STILL does this to me in my 20's and it's resulted in screaming matches and crying because I hate that kind of interference into my personal affairs. She has taken absolutely no steps to understand my hobbies or work flow.

So be thankful that your parents simply restrict you. You could have parents who hate all your hobbies and tries to throw out everything you love.

That...sucks. If I may suggest a solution: buy a knob with a lock, get a screwdriver, and install the knob so that you can lock your door. Edited by AMCC4728

That...sucks. If I may suggest a solution: buy a knob with a lock, get a screwdriver, and install the knob so that you can lock your door.

Sucks? It's fucking horrendous. I'd slap that bitch of a mother into next year if I were Samias. She needs sorting out, to be made to realise the shit she's doing is fucked up and there should be repercussions to having no respect for your own daughter's hobbies, privacy, livelihood. Such behaviour makes me angry beyond words.

wow you guys are spoiled

Without context, this is a directionless put-down. Or did you expect this to accomplish something...?

Edit for clarity: I'm kinda disappointed that you would post something that does nothing but potentially hurt the feelings of some of the posters in this thread. You're a smart guy, and you know most of these people are teenagers--if you disapprove of... whatever it is you have an issue with, explain what the problem is without rancor if you're going to post. Thanks~

Edited by Terrador

TIL that someone, who is in their 20s, being mad about their privacy being invaded is spoiled.

Edited by AMCC4728

wow you guys are spoiled

I definitely could have been a better kid, but my mom does need to mind her own business now. It was a minor punishment when I was young since I always found other things to do, but still very upsetting. When you're an adult who is being nagged at 100% of the time, being treated like I'm 12 gets really old. Not to mention it's not just games, but also my books and drawing materials. I get nagged at for sorting my laundry differently from her even though I do my own laundry. I also get the "everyone thinks you're fat" comments every day, even when we're out in public, in front of my friends, etc. I got called lazy and a do-nothing when I used to go to my university classes and labs for 12+ hours a day, 7 days a week. It's stressful and honestly the only solution is not to get a lock on my door, but to move out entirely. If I didn't have my dad and my fiance, I'm not sure I would have pulled through all these years. Actually I don't even dare bring up getting married because my mom nitpicks about my fiance all the time. She has said ONE good thing about him in the 8 years we've been together, and that's because he's lost a lot of weight over the years. When we first started dating, my mom literally wrote him a letter telling him to go away, and then she signed it and also forged my dad's signature. And on the opposite side of the spectrum, she tries to out-doctor my doctor sister. There's no winning in this family, just facepalming.

My mom isn't a terrible person. She paid for my sister and my education and she wants us to do well. She only grates on me mentally and does a lot of things that drives me crazy, because her idea of me doing well is to perfectly emulate what she's done in her life. The stress sucks, the depression I feel sometimes is crippling, but there's a way out. I just need to put in the work to get there. I just get really, really prickly about being micromanaged, especially when my mom does her typical thing and assumes she always knows what's best.

Sucks? It's fucking horrendous. I'd slap that bitch of a mother into next year if I were Samias. She needs sorting out, to be made to realise the shit she's doing is fucked up and there should be repercussions to having no respect for your own daughter's hobbies, privacy, livelihood. Such behaviour makes me angry beyond words.

See Raven knows how it is, that's one hard dude. When your mom touches your stuff you assault that ho, she had it comin.

I definitely could have been a better kid, but my mom does need to mind her own business now. It was a minor punishment when I was young since I always found other things to do, but still very upsetting. When you're an adult who is being nagged at 100% of the time, being treated like I'm 12 gets really old. Not to mention it's not just games, but also my books and drawing materials. I get nagged at for sorting my laundry differently from her even though I do my own laundry. I also get the "everyone thinks you're fat" comments every day, even when we're out in public, in front of my friends, etc. I got called lazy and a do-nothing when I used to go to my university classes and labs for 12+ hours a day, 7 days a week. It's stressful and honestly the only solution is not to get a lock on my door, but to move out entirely. If I didn't have my dad and my fiance, I'm not sure I would have pulled through all these years. Actually I don't even dare bring up getting married because my mom nitpicks about my fiance all the time. She has said ONE good thing about him in the 8 years we've been together, and that's because he's lost a lot of weight over the years. When we first started dating, my mom literally wrote him a letter telling him to go away, and then she signed it and also forged my dad's signature. And on the opposite side of the spectrum, she tries to out-doctor my doctor sister. There's no winning in this family, just facepalming.

My mom isn't a terrible person. She paid for my sister and my education and she wants us to do well. She only grates on me mentally and does a lot of things that drives me crazy, because her idea of me doing well is to perfectly emulate what she's done in her life. The stress sucks, the depression I feel sometimes is crippling, but there's a way out. I just need to put in the work to get there. I just get really, really prickly about being micromanaged, especially when my mom does her typical thing and assumes she always knows what's best.

Well, no one is irredeemably terrible. And family's family, you know? Gotta love them, even if they are psycho.

But I would have moved out long ago if I had to deal with that.

Sucks? It's fucking horrendous. I'd slap that bitch of a mother into next year if I were Samias. She needs sorting out

Er, arent we going a bit far with the slapping? I mean, it isnt the nicest thing to have no respect for your child's possessions, but violence is a tad overdoing it...

Maybe a bit, but it's not at all unreasonable to expect parents to have respect for their child's personal possessions.

respect for children's personal possessions is not a very common concept in some cultures. the merit of respecting children's possessions, to various degrees, is debatable.

EDIT: the below post by anacybele can adequately demonstrate how i feel about this: what is perceived as "too strict" in the USA is very often a farcical definition of "strict." it's like complaining that a middle-class family is "too poor."

Edit for clarity: I'm kinda disappointed that you would post something that does nothing but potentially hurt the feelings of some of the posters in this thread. You're a smart guy, and you know most of these people are teenagers--if you disapprove of... whatever it is you have an issue with, explain what the problem is without rancor if you're going to post. Thanks~

it lets me gauge if people are interested in my opinion. and you can do without the ingratiating tone, thanks~

i don't mean to sound like a parent, but i was once a teenager, too. i'm only 4 years out of being a teenager, and i've felt my fair share of resentment at being what i felt at the time was being unjustly punished for innocuous transgressions. you'll reflect on this sort of stuff when older and realize that much of it was all utterly stupid and trivial. so when teenagers complain about their parents trying to discipline them by depriving them of a luxury that many other teenagers would die to have, i do two things: i empathize, and i roll my eyes.

I definitely could have been a better kid, but my mom does need to mind her own business now...

i obviously wasn't suggesting in any sense that you were one of the spoiled people.

i've had much of this happen to me in various flavors as well, and my parents' authoritarian nature has only diminished recently (though i chronically fail to answer their calls because i don't want to deal with nagging). they come from a culture that mandates filial piety and associated virtues, which is an element that i disagree with for various reasons. i personally believe that there are virtues to children occasionally challenging their superiors, and that parents should be receptive to their children's grievances. we've butted heads over this type of disagreement before, and it's extremely difficult to argue someone out of their cultural perspective, so i've learned to balance respect and refutation.

so it's fine if you disagree with your parents' parenting decisions, but bare recalcitrance only exacerbates the problem. when people make this sort of post:

That...sucks. If I may suggest a solution: buy a knob with a lock, get a screwdriver, and install the knob so that you can lock your door.

sticking it to your parents is not going to work, and that the above user suggested this hints at one of two things: he either has no idea about effective forms of communication, or he's not interested in maintaining a good parent-child relationship. (he's also either a bit of an idiot or looking to pick a fight if he interpreted my post as stating that samias was spoiled.)

i seem to recall that raven is a police officer. if that's true, i wouldn't want him to be a representative of justice for my community. you have the right to disagree with your mother, but you don't have the right to punish her as suggested here. barring cases of actual abuse, your parents are acting in what they think is in your best interests.

Edited by dondon151

I only had my game privileges taken away if I did something really bad (hardly ever happened) or if my parents felt the game wasn't something I should be playing (there was only one instance of this). I was allowed to play on school days as long as I did my homework and kept my grades up.

So yeah, I'd say your mom is a bit too strict. :/

See Raven knows how it is, that's one hard dude. When your mom touches your stuff you assault that ho, she had it comin.

You got a laugh out of me.

Er, arent we going a bit far with the slapping? I mean, it isnt the nicest thing to have no respect for your child's possessions, but violence is a tad overdoing it...

Yeah. I wouldn't ever even consider pimp caning my own mother, even if she did try to assault me (she never has, thankfully). My wording in that post was the result of reading Samias' post and getting a tad enraged by it, and my reply was written while that red mist was still looming.

So in short, you can disregard my "slap that bitch" comment. Because I wouldn't slap that bitch, despite the shitty things she's doing. But I would rage at her with everything I have.

i seem to recall that raven is a police officer. if that's true, i wouldn't want him to be a representative of justice for my community. you have the right to disagree with your mother, but you don't have the right to punish her as suggested here. barring cases of actual abuse, your parents are acting in what they think is in your best interests.

I'm not a police officer. My initial post was my immediate thoughts after reading Samias' post. I would never raise a hand against anyone (self-defense or to protect others is a different matter) in such a situation.

But let's not change the subject here. This isn't about whether or not I'd hit my mother for fucking with my shit and treating me like a kid half my age (again, I wouldn't).

Samias' mother is acting in a manner that is in her own best interests, not her daughter's. As you said, she may think she is acting in Samias' best interests, but she is really hurting her daughter. From the sounds of things, it's been this way for years (I'd have gone insane). So all I really can say is that I hope Samias will move out from her mother's home as soon as she possibly can.

Edited by Raven

so it's fine if you disagree with your parents' parenting decisions, but bare recalcitrance only exacerbates the problem. when people make this sort of post:

Thanks for the strawmanning!

sticking it to your parents is not going to work, and that the above user suggested this hints at one of two things: he either has no idea about effective forms of communication, or he's not interested in maintaining a good parent-child relationship. (he's also either a bit of an idiot or looking to pick a fight if he interpreted my post as stating that samias was spoiled.)

This isn't about me telling samais to "stick it to his parents". This is about me giving advice to an adult whose right to privacy is being violated. I would not give the same advice to a 14 year old. We aren't talking about a situation that is new. By the sound of it, this problem has been going on for a while, and samias has tried communicating. If someone refuses to respect an adult's right to privacy, then other actions must be taken. The last comment is unnecessary and ad hominem. Edited by AMCC4728

My parents used to do that but my tantrums are far worse than whatever it is they would punish me for so they stopped.

Edited by Shauni